Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form

He should have had 3 more assists too. Rooney twice (Everton and Wolfsburg) and Memphis (Sunderland).

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Have people in the office asking why he's not playing more centrally:rolleyes: Didn't know I looked like LVG:confused:
What can you say when it's so obvious he should be playing there for us? It was depressing tbh

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
It's not like he's being Welbeck'd out wide to be a workhorse.

He has bags of talent and it's actually pretty good to see him in a position where he gets a lot of freedom and a lot of touches of the ball, one of our only players that can beat opposition players, that's why I don't mind him there. It's just so pleasing to watch him glide his way in from that left wing spot.

Honestly wouldn't mind him alternating positions as Left-Forward and #9 Position this season, we've got him for a very long time and it's a good trade for him to learn as we ease him in to that #9 position as his natural role. Sooner or later Memphis will get a spell again and that would mean Martial will be up top.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I wouldn't say he is wasted out wide myself, but I do think his skill set could be better utilised up front, esp in our team. If our team had other dynamic forwards who could capitalise on the attention that Martial is receiving, then Martial out wide could thrive, as would the team of course. However, it is easier to pin him down and double up on him out left in our team, frequently meaning he has to beat more than one marker. If we had a fluid front trio with pacy and direct players like Benzema or a Ronaldo alongside him, then it wouldn't really be a problem.

As it stands, in a triumvirate with Rooney and Mata, he will have greater room to manoeuvre up front - having the freedom to drop onto either flank or drop deeper - and his impressive ability to turn markers tight to him, and his excellent hold-up ability would guarantee a higher rate of success than him frequently trying to dribble past 2 players out left.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
This isn't so much about Martial but rather about people wanting Rooney dropped until he's performing. I think Martial offers a lot on the wing too and he's got the movement to get into the box still. I think LVG should have given Wilson a run out against Everton especially as their high line would have given him a real chance to grab himself a goal. Hopefully he keeps progressing as he is because he's doing great. I wouldn't worry about him being the one to watch at the minute. I think we're doing as well as you'd expect and baring the odd game here and there - defensively we're looking pretty good.

Martial is doing really well and that's the main thing. LVG is still sculpting the squad and Memphis, Lingard, Wilson etc will hopefully be watching this kid and how he's taking responsibility so early on in his United career.

m1y2

It's not like he's being Welbeck'd out wide to be a workhorse.

He has bags of talent and it's actually pretty good to see him in a position where he gets a lot of freedom and a lot of touches of the ball, one of our only players that can beat opposition players, that's why I don't mind him there. It's just so pleasing to watch him glide his way in from that left wing spot.

Honestly wouldn't mind him alternating positions as Left-Forward and #9 Position this season, we've got him for a very long time and it's a good trade for him to learn as we ease him in to that #9 position as his natural role. Sooner or later Memphis will get a spell again and that would mean Martial will be up top.
Agree with that, while I think Welbeck was very good for us from the wing, Martial offers a bit more as his dribbling is better and I think he can produce from the left as well. Left forward is the position he can benefit form for many years to come even if he ends up as no9..

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Can we just activate that 'plus 1' bollocks on his contract now and save ourselves any future bother?

Last edited:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
To put a positive spin on Martial not being played up front....there would be a lot of pressure on him there and it may be a good thing in the long run easing him in.

Dion

Pants today out wide. Doing all the same things Depay is getting slaughtered for and yet somehow he'll come out smelling of roses.

No idea when LvG will realise he's wasted out wide, just runs into trouble or beats a man down the outside and hits the first defender with his cross.

Ixion

Pants today out wide. Doing all the same things Depay is getting slaughtered for and yet somehow he'll come out smelling of roses.
If Martial was pants for 6-7 games in a row he'd start getting stick as well.

Donut

I think the penny has dropped for LVG and he'll be played centrally from now on.

mu77

And yet there is a 3 point difference between their match ratings on the caf today.
at least he tried and did beat the first man. he tried after that to slot a ball across in tight spaces and just missed another diving header. he beat more men in the time he was on than memphis has all year.

Cro

He shows so much quality everytime he touches the ball, just a joy to watch.

Dion

at least he tried and did beat the first man. he tried after that to slot a ball across in tight spaces and just missed another diving header. he beat more men in the time he was on than memphis has all year.
He beat him down the outside, exactly the same as Depay cutting in except it looks a bit more stylish. Still offers nothing in an attacking sense.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Is it possible to get Pep Guardiola next season, so we can have a manager who could develop this lad into a ballon D'or winner? I am tired of Van Gaal playing him outwide for Rooney. I went through this assessment with Welbeck before and playing Martial out wide will not help him develop his overall game in the longrun. If he is going to be a striker in the future, play him and develop him their.

justboy68

He beat him down the outside, exactly the same as Depay cutting in except it looks a bit more stylish. Still offers nothing in an attacking sense.
How is it the same? Getting in behind the defender is a threatening position. Depay was cutting in but wasn't getting any luck doing so. I'd much rather see Martial central though.

mu77

he moves with the ball so much better than does memphis . not even close in application. he may not have scored but he had the balls to take a man on and beat him. that in itself makes him more dangerous. maybe it didn't come off tonight but he'll do fine. memphis looks a million miles away.

Eddy_JukeZ

Memphis dreams of beating players the way Martial does.

Martial out wide isn't a problem. It's a problem when he's put there to accommodate Rooney up top.

Dion

How is it the same? Getting in behind the defender is a threatening position. Depay was cutting in but wasn't getting any luck doing so. I'd much rather see Martial central though.
He gets down the outside, not behind him. Crossing from the byline into the first man is just as bad as if you've cut inside, it just looks better.

He did absolutely feck all today and somehow seems to be the highest rated player in the team.

justboy68

He gets down the outside, not behind him. Crossing from the byline into the first man is just as bad as if you've cut inside, it just looks better.

He did absolutely feck all today and somehow seems to be the highest rated player in the team.
I could have sworn he got properly behind his defender a couple of times but I'll admit I wasn't 100% focused towards the end so could be mistaken.

Raw

Imagine how bad we'd be to watch this season if we hadn't wrapped this deal up at the last minute. We need 2 more attackers of his ability and profile.
It really shits me up how close we were to having a strikeforce of Rooney, Fellaini and Wilson.

I mean, holy fecking shit. Thank god Martial ended up being absolutely brilliant, though admittedly he didn't really do much today.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
It's crazy how much we are relying him to come up with something in attack, I hope we don't run him to the ground like Liverpool did with Owen.

Status
Not open for further replies.