Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
His reactions are the best. He gets fouled, fouls, scores, creates or whatever really he just has this dead pan expression. It's kinda funny. Dante got into his face last night after a foul and he didn't bat an eyelid. His temperament along with his not so obvious strength are major assets. Not to mention his actual technical ability.
Sometimes his eyes narrow and I'm convinced he's going to sneeze because no other part of his face moves.

RocK3T

(Manchester) 'Pele called me the greatest football
I definitely don't scout young talent like I used to. As you say it's probably a Football Manager thing (specifically unearthing wonderkids) but I think as much as anything its an age thing, or at least just spending the last 15 years following football online, you soon realise 99% of the players hyped at a young age don't live up to the hype and there's little point in following them.

I can remember one article though, I think on F365, that had a list of "Wonderkids" and one of them was Messi. Under the "Who is he?" bit they said he's the reason Barcelona will likely cash in on Ronaldinho soon, he's that talented." or along those lines. I remember scoffing at it and thinking there's no way you let a once in a generation talent like Ronaldinho go because you have a good youngster coming through.

I'm going to dig out the article now...
Any luck in finding this article?

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Its just insane how dependent we are on him right now. Without him, our attack looks slow and plain. I have never seen a player of his age come to a new country/league and have such an impact.

He's not the next anyone, just the first Anthony Martial.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
Great find just need another player ala Bale to play around him. We'd be scary we are very close to becoming a top team again.
Bale would be a dream signing for me, we need a player to knock us up one more notch and we'd be there, and what better than a top right-mid. Who else is there than Bale though? Genuine question.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
Its just insane how dependent we are on him right now. Without him, our attack looks slow and plain. I have never seen a player of his age come to a new country/league and have such an impact.

He's not the next anyone, just the first Anthony Martial.
Agree, proper forward thinking player, I reckon fergie would've loved him. Can't stand it when one of our players get the ball and turn around to play it back, Martial seems to love intimidating their defence and constantly going at them. Would say Herrera and Depay are our only other proper forward thinking players.

Muffled funk

Not to be trusted
So... do people still think he's 'raw'?

I hate it when people describe a player that way. Particularly when it isn't true. It's such a lazy way to try and make yourself sound intelligent.
People use that word to make it look as though they're clever enough to 'see' potential. In actual fact, they're just hedging their bets by pinning the responsibility on the player to improve. It's a meaningless phrase.
People who use the word 'raw' to describe a young footballer. It doesn't mean anything.

The fact he has raw talent is cause for optimism, but not enough for me to think he's a better option than someone like Pearson, for example..
Martial's raw skills look better than Depay's.
There's no such thing as a teenager who isn't raw, but I think he's relatively mature for his age.

Last edited:

keener

His inclusion into the squad has transformed our attack in ways that I'll admit that I didn't think was possible for a boy coming in at 19 with no EPL experience. His quickness, speed, dribbling and finishing are very much needed and his passing has been a nice surprise as well. I hope this kid keeps playing the way he is now. ATTACK!

Dante

Average bang
The first two times I'm talking specifically about talent. The third time I'm saying that 'raw' is a pointless term, which is basically what I've been saying all along.

I never actually called anybody 'raw' as a personal description. It's meaningless.

mav_9me

Just to illustrate his impact, something I posted in the LVG thread.

I think the difference from earlier in the season is Martial. Before we got him, we were scoring an average of 1.66 goals per game (10 in 6, which includes 7 goals against Brugge.) Since then it's 2.5 (15 in 6) against much tougher opposition, while also creating more chances. Small sample sizes obviously but still a clear difference IMO.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Bale would be a dream signing for me, we need a player to knock us up one more notch and we'd be there, and what better than a top right-mid. Who else is there than Bale though? Genuine question.
Griezmann, who has a buyout clause and would an amount similar to KDB, and he is also a United fan.

Bale has said it a thousand times that he doesnt want to leave. Even his agent who you'd expect to do the same keeps on saying that. He aint coming here.

Dante

Average bang
Nah.

Every single teenager in history has been 'raw'. But not every teenager in history has had raw talent. They're two different things. I'm standing by what I said. The last post MF quoted actually backs me up. Most of the other instances are me complaining about people who use the word! (I think one of those is something I posted in the 'little things that annoy you' thread, ffs.)

Saying a teenager is 'raw' is completely redundant. It's as silly as saying that a teenager needs to 'bulk up'. They're nothing phrases that don't mean anything. They only serve to make the poster sound like they're offering an insight when they're not.

Last edited:

K2K

Nah.

Every single teenager in history has been 'raw'. But not every teenager in history has had raw talent. They're two different things. I'm standing by what I said. The last post MF quoted actually backs me up.

Saying a teenager is 'raw' is completely redundant. It's as silly as saying that a teenager needs to 'bulk up'. They're nothing phrases that don't mean anything. They only serve to make the poster sound like they're offering an insight when they're not.
That was really said in passing..just reminded me of one which Pexbo did with Dumbstar by quoting something completely contradictory to what he said once..No worries.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
Catalogue boy not impressed by Martial

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/michael-owen-martial-not-taking-my-breath-away

Michael Owen says Anthony Martial has “done what he had to” but not ‘taken his breath away’ with his performances for Manchester United so far.

United paid an initial £36million to sign Martial from Monaco on transfer deadline day, but the 19-year-old has responded to raised eyebrows about his transfer fee with four goals already for the Red Devils.

Owen, however, is not getting carried away about the Frenchman’s performances.

“He has done what he had to do, that was the question mark before he came because he didn’t have a goalscoring record,” Owen said.

“I am not watching him and he is doing things I haven’t seen before, he’s not taking my breath away but you can’t pick any holes in his game right now, he has scored four in four.”
What Martial has done so far in his United isn't extraordinary.....if he was a 25 year old. So in some respect Owen has a point.

But doing it at 19, in a new team, in a new country, with the burden of a huge price tag and the extra expectations that come along with that? That's extraordinary.

He's not only scored and assisted goals, but he's also given some attacking impetus to a team that badly needed it, he's displaced Rooney, and generally looks like he's been a striker for a top club for years. You can sense the confidence boost he has given the team already, and that is why what he's done is breath-taking. So no, his general performances haven't been out of this world, if you ignore the wider context, but ignoring these additional factors is foolish. If he performs in the exact same way 2 or 3 years down the line, Owen would have a point, but not now.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Michael Owen is a twat. A boring twat to boot.

This is the same guy who never forgets to sing Rooney's praises, even when he has zero impact on a game.
Was going to say that! I'd love to see his Rooney thoughts in comparison!

How anyone can't see that one is plodding, look unfit and barely impacts the game, and one has completely revitalised our attack I don't know.

Dante

Average bang
I'm wasted on you idiots. It's almost as though you can't see I'm the best poster on this site.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm wasted on you idiots. It's almost as though you can't see I'm the best poster on this site.
You definitely have the raw potential to be the best but you are still a bit raw, patience.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Catalogue boy not impressed by Martial

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/michael-owen-martial-not-taking-my-breath-away

Michael Owen says Anthony Martial has “done what he had to” but not ‘taken his breath away’ with his performances for Manchester United so far.

United paid an initial £36million to sign Martial from Monaco on transfer deadline day, but the 19-year-old has responded to raised eyebrows about his transfer fee with four goals already for the Red Devils.

Owen, however, is not getting carried away about the Frenchman’s performances.

“He has done what he had to do, that was the question mark before he came because he didn’t have a goalscoring record,” Owen said.

“I am not watching him and he is doing things I haven’t seen before, he’s not taking my breath away but you can’t pick any holes in his game right now, he has scored four in four.”
What a miserable and boring bastard Owen is....can't believe he was number 7 at United.

K2K

Really? How so? Not that I don't believe you but is always good to have players who want to play for us regardless of money offered.
Him and his brother are United fans..dont know the twitter handle of his brother but someone here probably does, I heard about this before he was this good though..Yes, those are the kind of players we need..the ADM thing burnt our fingers, we should learn from that.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What Martial has done so far in his United isn't extraordinary.....if he was a 25 year old. So in some respect Owen has a point.

But doing it at 19, in a new team, in a new country, with the burden of a huge price tag and the extra expectations that come along with that? That's extraordinary.

He's not only scored and assisted goals, but he's also given some attacking impetus to a team that badly needed it, he's displaced Rooney, and generally looks like he's been a striker for a top club for years. You can sense the confidence boost he has given the team already, and that is why what he's done is breath-taking. So no, his general performances haven't been out of this world, if you ignore the wider context, but ignoring these additional factors is foolish. If he performs in the exact same way 2 or 3 years down the line, Owen would have a point, but not now.
He's scoring in a team using LVG philosophy something that RVP, Rooney, Hernandez and Falcao had struggled. That despite moving in a new country, at age 19. I find his ability to immediately take ownership of the forward line by scoring and creating some magnificent goals as impressive.

Its funny because if SAF used the same yardstick with Owen as he's using with Martial than we would have never signed him. The man was a wreck, who was living on his reputation and was largely useless to us

vodrake

http://www.football365.com/news/monaco-martial-insisted-on-dream-united-move

“There was another club that offered even more than United,” he told Marca. “I will not say how much, but the fixed price, without variables, it was even better. And also they offered us to have him for a further year in Monaco.

“But the boy wanted to go to Manchester, it was his dream. And we let him go with the bonus of 30million euros. Had it not been for so much money, he’d have stayed.”
Anyone seen this yet? Quotes from the Monaco President about how another team offered an even better deal for Martial, but he really wanted to come to United. I'm liking this kid even more! Wonder who the other team were.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Him and his brother are United fans..dont know the twitter handle of his brother but someone here probably does, I heard about this before he was this good though..Yes, those are the kind of players we need..the ADM thing burnt our fingers, we should learn from that.
He would be ideal, someone who can play anywhere across the front 4 so can effectively be cover to everyone whilst still nailing down a regular starting spot.

Question234

fatboy

chelsea matched our offer and i think psg were the ones who beat it and were prepared to loan him back.
If true, it does say something about him. He could have got an easier ride in Ligue 1, familiar culture and language, closer to family, but chose to follow his dream to Manchester. Nice.

Swaters16

It would surprise me a little if a French footballer had an actual dream of playing for Manchester United. We've only had what Evra and Cantona as significant French players? And even then I didn't think France fans particularly like Evra. Does United really have a strong presence in the area

Hellboy

It would surprise me a little if a French footballer had an actual dream of playing for Manchester United. We've only had what Evra and Cantona as significant French players? And even then I didn't think France fans particularly like Evra. Does United really have a strong presence in the area
Yes they do. They are as big as Barcelona or Madrid in France.

Status
Not open for further replies.