5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

He was Messi compared the shite happened around him from all other players. In other games I would have seen this as an average performance.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It doesn't say much that he was our best player. His touch was shocking, and his general awareness was really lacking

worldinmotion66

I think he needs to play centrally personally. I'd have preferred he'd swapped positions with Rashford today, as I think Rashford's movement is better from the left and Martial generally has better hold up play.

Giggs86

One goal should be taken off his tally and given to Rooney. That was just ridiculous.

Coops73

It doesn't say much that he was our best player. His touch was shocking, and his general awareness was really lacking
Totally agree, he seems to be 10 seconds behind everyone else and whether that's down to laziness or just being disinterested I don't know, he's clearly better down the middle in my opinion but he needs to pull his finger out of his arse.

Fracture90

Our best player today, shame we didn't go more through him when he was roasting their left sjde. He was getting help from Young today, but our MF was pretty bad.

He needs to work on his finishing.

shield

Looked like the only one along with Rashford who could make something happen. Was our only threat and was easily closed down.

We just don't have any other avenue for scoring, none at all. Nothing from the right, where I don't know what Lingard was up to, nothing from the middle, where Rooney might have just sat down and done nothing, nothing from set pieces, and we did not even have the hoofball option of Fellaini.

All Swansea had to do was close down Martial and any attacking threat for us was over. Not that he played intelligently to get round this tactics, but then he is young and getting around players crowding you out requires skill and maturity far beyond the limited years of experience he has. I remember a match, where Mata and Mkhi were causing a lot of problems themselves, and Martial proved to be enough of a threat despite being erratic.

Today was a total disaster attacking wise. It must have almost been like punishment for Martial. No Pogba, Zlatan, Mata or Mkhi to help him get any decent attack going. Does not have a decent left back to make overlapping runs, yet is expected to conjure something up because he is Martial.

I see other teams like Spurs, Chelsea and even City attack, and their players are totally committed while going ahead. So, many options and outlets. Contrast that to our team, which is looking more and more like a graveyard for attacking players. Don't think it is fair can heap blame on a 21 year old talent in such dire circumstances.

Dobbs

Don't think a winger can do much more when every single player around him is off their game.

Asger

I'm starting too think that he is far from ready to be a starter for a club who wants to be one of the best in the World.. Maybe a loan next year could work out for him. Was good in his first season but many players have had one good season and then struggled.

Eddy_JukeZ

His touch was shocking. He got past Naughton with ease a few times, but started getting sussed out.

Just disappointing, but he was the best of a bad bunch.

Web of Bissaka

Frustrating figures today.

Many moments of him showing fighting desires (which is rare) and few moments of him showing poor concentration.

Can't fault his performances today though, at least he showed frustrations when he failed plus more care and efforts in performing.;)

Z_Wolf

With posts like this, it's no surprise you're still not promoted. It's gonna be a looong wait I feel.
I can post what I want so long as I am not breaking the Caf's rules.
He's a one trick pony. I'm sure he won't be a starter next season.

Last edited:

Kearnkoff69

Seems to be suffering from some mental shortcoming. I don't know if it's effort, or not adapting well to Mourinho's style or tactical requirements, but something's off. It's like his speed of thought is a few seconds behind where it was last year, when he'd get the ball and know exactly what he was going to do with it - which is what made defenders shite bricks once he got running at full tilt. He showed he has the talent, so here's hoping one of our coaching staff can unlock that again.

Ashley R1+O

I thought he was quite bright in the first half, but his head goes down so easily after a missed chance of a muffed move. I think once he gets back his mojo he will be a much better component to our attack.

Mr Smith

Totally agree, he seems to be 10 seconds behind everyone else and whether that's down to laziness or just being disinterested I don't know, he's clearly better down the middle in my opinion but he needs to pull his finger out of his arse.
I don't know how you make that kind of a leap based on his performance. Was his touch and sharpness lacking? Yes. Was his work rate or willingness to try things or general endeavour for the team lacking? Absolutely fecking not. This narrative needs to stop, it's absolutely baseless.

Personally, I thought part of the problem yesterday was that he, Lingard and Rashford had to do everything themselves, there was zero service or creativity from our more experienced players.

AN17

The guy has had a dip after a stellar first season. Yet he has provided 15 goals+assists, one less than the phenomenal Coutinho now into his 5th season at Pool. Give him a break and a fresh start next season before passing judgements. Hopefully he can get over any mental block that's holding him back and start fresh with a point to prove to his critics. His form is not " the reason" why our season has turned out the way it has. So no reason to single that out and hound him when everyone is guilty to certain extent.

Yeesheng

Needs a good summer break - kid is still young and has broken up with his long time girlfriend. cannot be easy to cope with moving to new country, sudden increase in status and wealth, changes with personal life.

Hope he has it in him to get through and let his class shine.

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
The guy has had a dip after a stellar first season. Yet he has provided 15 goals+assists, one less than the phenomenal Coutinho now into his 5th season at Pool. Give him a break and a fresh start next season before passing judgements. Hopefully he can get over any mental block that's holding him back and start fresh with a point to prove to his critics. His form is not " the reason" why our season has turned out the way it has. So no reason to single that out and hound him when everyone is guilty to certain extent.
People are just interested in the next big signing.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It's his thread, he gets criticized and praised here. No one is singling him out, other players get torn to pieces too in their respective threads...

AN17

It's his thread, he gets criticized and praised here. No one is singling him out, other players get torn to pieces too in their respective threads...
Hey, it's just an opinion on needing to have a bit of perspective and balance before laying into a youngster who has had a dip of form. Not saying he shouldn't be criticised.

kouroux

Hey, it's just an opinion on needing to have a bit of perspective and balance before laying into a youngster who has had a dip of form. Not saying he shouldn't be criticised.
It's not just that though, for some reason you think he was being singled out which isn't true. When he does well, like against Burnley, he'll get praised and when he underperforms, he will receive criticism

AN17

It's not just that though, for some reason you think he was being singled out which isn't true. When he does well, like against Burnley, he'll get praised and when he underperforms, he will receive criticism
I was kind of miffed with a few posters calling him a fraud and a few asking for him to be sold because he had a single mediocre season at the age of what ? 20 ?

He has majorly regressed. I don't think he's got the mental side to the game that you need to be a truly outstanding top level player. Look at Messi, Ronaldo Or Suarez, nothing fazes those players when they are under pressure. Martial just retreats into his shell at the first sight of any pressure.
Suarez had a shocking record in the big games with Liverpool.

Martial just seems like it all gets to him a bit too much when things don't go his way, a perfectly normal reaction for a 21 year old. At 21 even Ronaldo and Messi weren't being expected to lead the team. They were just getting settled in and starting to shine in two great sides. Martial is being expected to perform miracles in a struggling team.

RAVred

Martial just seems like it all gets to him a bit too much when things don't go his way, a perfectly normal reaction for a 21 year old. At 21 even Ronaldo and Messi weren't being expected to lead the team. They were just getting settled in and starting to shine in two great sides. Martial is being expected to perform miracles in a struggling team.
You really cant compare anyone to messi, he won the 2010 Ballon D'or. He was performing great for barcelona for a couple years before that... Simply incomparable, and hes only maintained and bettered that form.

Hate to kind of use my comment on this tbh, but really no idea why hes even in a discussion with Martial.

OT:
Martial definitely has room for improvement, and we need to hold on him 100% for another season, people calling for him to be shipped or loaned even are kind of insane.

kouroux

Not really. There is a middle ground between what you described and how he currently is playing, more than likely he will develop like a normal player. With good and bad games, there is this hope that while developing, some general improvements about his game can be seen here and there. At the moment it cannot be said that Martial improved a single thing since his arrival in general.

Robbie Boy

He just can't seem to find a run of form this season. He's had the odd good game here and there but he can't seem to find a consistent run. The difference between this and last season is night and day with him. He's clearly a very talented player - as he proved last season - but feck me, this season has been a thoroughly forgettable one for him.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I was kind of miffed with a few posters calling him a fraud and a few asking for him to be sold because he had a single mediocre season at the age of what ? 20 ?
I'd actually argue that Martial hasn't in fact been as mediocre as many assert. He's had well over half the total minutes this season compared to last, with 20 less appearances in total and still managed to rack up good figures.

In 2015/16 Martial scored 18 goals and had 11 assists. But he played 56 games, with 4,663 minutes. He was an ever-present. He also played as our main striker, the number 9, that is until Rashford broke through late on and they began sharing the role.

This season he has 9 goals and 5 assists, but all exclusively from the wing with the exception of Burnley the other day. He's been in and out of the team and has registered far fewer minutes at just 1,663. To produce half of what he did last season in less than half the time, when playing further away from the goal actually suggests to me that he's improved slightly. Not bad for someone who's apparently been mediocre with a crisis in his personal life.

Last edited:

AN17

I'd actually argue that Martial hasn't in fact been as mediocre as many assert. He's had well over half the total minutes this season compared to last, with 20 less appearances in total and still managed to rack up good figures.

In 2015/16 Martial scored 18 goals and had 11 assists. But he played 56 games, with 4,663 minutes. He was an ever-present. He also played as our main striker, the number 9, that is until Rashford broke through late on and they began sharing the role.

This season he has 9 goals and 5 assists, but all exclusively from the wing with the exception of Burnley the other day. He's been in and out of the team and has registered far fewer minutes at just 1,663. To produce half of what he did last season in less than half the time, when playing further away from the goal actually suggests to me that he's improved slightly. Not bad for someone who's apparently been mediocre with a crisis in his personal life.
Agree with all that. Statistically, he has been just as good considering he is no longer the go to guy. Last year he flourished in a system where he was central to our attacking moves. This year he has been a peripheral figure. Although at times he has looked a bit lost and ''head''s not in it" kind of vibe. Hopefully he can get past all that.

Last edited:

jungledrums

He just can't seem to find a run of form this season. He's had the odd good game here and there but he can't seem to find a consistent run. The difference between this and last season is night and day with him. He's clearly a very talented player - as he proved last season - but feck me, this season has been a thoroughly forgettable one for him.
And yet his stats aren't that bad. It tells me there's a hell of a player in there, if given an extended run of games, not the stop-start shite he's had this season.
@Zelalem one trick pony...? Opinionated nonsense.

Robbie Boy

And yet his stats aren't that bad. It tells me there's a hell of a player in there, if given an extended run of games, not the stop-start shite he's had this season.
Victim of his own success from last season, for sure.

acnumber9

That's not quite the reality though. Especially when you look closely at the stats. He's only scored 8 goals this season for one and if you look at the Premier League he has close to a third of the goals he scored last season with just over half the starts. There's no way he's improved at all. That's clear from the stats and from simply watching games. On the bright side he's definitely looked better the last couple of games.

Z_Wolf

I could have used better wording perhaps. 'His game is very predictable', is a better way putting it. All he does is stand on the edge of the box waiting for the ball to come to him and when gets it, just run at whoever is in front of him, which leads to him losing the ball more often than not. He's off ball movement is very poor for a forward.

Last edited:

togg

He didn't play badly....he's trying harder than he has recently. I just have doubts that he is actually enjoying his football at the moment and that can be very important for a player mentally.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
That's not quite the reality though. Especially when you look closely at the stats. He's only scored 8 goals this season for one and if you look at the Premier League he has close to a third of the goals he scored last season with just over half the starts. There's no way he's improved at all. That's clear from the stats and from simply watching games. On the bright side he's definitely looked better the last couple of games.
Just checked whoscored again as well as comparing with those listed on Transfermarkt, and they were counting his goal for France. So 8 goals in total for United. The latter also lists a further two assists, putting him at 8 goals and 7 assists. My point wasn't necessarily that he has improved, more that it's not mediocre form from a player who's played less than half the minutes he did last season. 8 goals and 7 assists from the wing in just 1600 minites isn't mediocre by any stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.