Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Just checked whoscored again as well as comparing with those listed on Transfermarkt, and they were counting his goal for France. So 8 goals in total for United. The latter also lists a further two assists, putting him at 8 goals and 7 assists. My point wasn't necessarily that he has improved, more that it's not mediocre form from a player who's played less than half the minutes he did last season. 8 goals and 7 assists from the wing in just 1600 minites isn't mediocre by any stretch.
Hes been mediocre though. Don't need any stats too see that

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He's had a stop-start season, but that's more to do with concerns over his attitude and the fact he's been in and out of the side. When he's actually been on the field though his end product is comparable with last season.

Robbie Boy

Aye, as I said a few posts back, the difference between him this and last season is night and day. Stats are grand and all but never, ever tell the full picture. It's obvious from watching him that he's nowhere reached his levels from last season. He was absolutely electrifying last season and every time he got the ball I expected something to happen, whereas now I don't expect anything whatsoever.

Still an immensely talented player and hopefully we start playing with some cohesion and fluency next season and we see the best of him again.

Alabaster Codify7

I thought he'd pull up trees this season with better creative players around him (Zlatan, Mkhitaryan, an improved Rashford). But for the most part he's been awful, his running at full-backs has almost become non existent. We see him make one run a game nowadays, if we're lucky.

He's either rock bottom on confidence or he wants to leave - one way or another his head isn't in the game, I don't think.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't know why the negative posts again. I didn't watch the game but heard he was our best player. Is that true?

jungledrums

Don't know why the negative posts again. I didn't watch the game but heard he was our best player. Is that true?
Yes. Could have had an assist if Lingard converted, and almost scored himself with a beautiful slaloming run and shot. Over 90, it wasn't a great performance, but wasn't bad at all. It's also a pleasing performance when considering his form this season. He looked more confident and more willing to take his man on, which, given how disjointed his season has been, is about as much as we can expect.

When he plays 'shite' and almost gets a goal and assist, imagine what he can do at his best...

You really cant compare anyone to messi, he won the 2010 Ballon D'or. He was performing great for barcelona for a couple years before that... Simply incomparable, and hes only maintained and bettered that form.

Hate to kind of use my comment on this tbh, but really no idea why hes even in a discussion with Martial.
That's kind of my point. Even Messi was not the finished player at 21. I dont know why some expect Martial to be anything close to it.

I think he's done about what I expected this season. Some magic with a lot of inconsistency. Its clear he's going to be a very good player but also clear he's not likely to hit the very top.

Janson

Just checked whoscored again as well as comparing with those listed on Transfermarkt, and they were counting his goal for France. So 8 goals in total for United. The latter also lists a further two assists, putting him at 8 goals and 7 assists. My point wasn't necessarily that he has improved, more that it's not mediocre form from a player who's played less than half the minutes he did last season. 8 goals and 7 assists from the wing in just 1600 minites isn't mediocre by any stretch.
I think last season was more impressive in terms of stats, since we created far less chances in a possesion style play. I'm not sure but I think I read on here that his conversion rate is much lower than last season although it's difficult to make much of stats like this due to all the variables you have to take into account.

This season with a more direct style, you would think it would suit him better with his pace and dribbling to run in behind. But it's been the opposite, his movement and general play has been worse. He hasn't seemed to be able to benefit from creative players like Pogba and Ibra and I think that's mostly due to his lack of intelligent movement.

Having said all of this, not having the confidence from the manager could also have effected him negatively. There are some players who need an extended run in the team to start performing consistently. Unfortunately for him, we have had a lot of competetion for those positions under Mourinho which means you have to show something quickly in order to not be dropped.

Coops73

I don't know how you make that kind of a leap based on his performance. Was his touch and sharpness lacking? Yes. Was his work rate or willingness to try things or general endeavour for the team lacking? Absolutely fecking not. This narrative needs to stop, it's absolutely baseless.

Personally, I thought part of the problem yesterday was that he, Lingard and Rashford had to do everything themselves, there was zero service or creativity from our more experienced players.
No it's not, I'm basing it on what I see. There have been games this year where, in my opinion, he has looked disinterested or looks to me he's not putting the effort in, he played great down the middle against Burnley and was my man of the match so maybe that's his problem and maybe it's a "2nd season syndrome" and of course he is still only young, I'm not throwing him under the bus, he needs time but maybe Mourinho sees the same thing, that he's not putting in enough effort and knows he could be giving more.

But I agree that certainly Rashford seemed isolated and got very little service.

Reactions: Penna

Silverman

How good would this guy be had he Rashford's attitude to running his legs off. He's on the right track though as recent performances have been better.

Celta Vigo 0:1 Man Utd

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
How good would this guy be had he Rashford's attitude to running his legs off. He's on the right track though as recent performances have been better.
This is a good question tbh. Martial seems to be on his own wavelength (just precising that last night's cameo isn't taken into account).

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That's the thing that frustrates me with Martial, he seems half committed a lot of the time. If he ran and moved with the urgency/aggression Rashford has he would be so much more dangerous. He showed good signs of it against Burnley but the games since hasn't been the same.

I don't know if he has a stamina problem but he can't run at full speed regularly, he seems to jog around the pitch, rarely makes runs off the ball. Once he has it at his feet he turns into a different animal, but if he had that off the ball also he would go up another level.

Bebe

It's weird how people searching for an explanation to his downturn this year don't seem to acknowledge all the personal issues going on in his life. Whatever the circumstances, splitting with your wife and mother of your child can't be easy.

Dobbs

Guys you need to stop comparing him to Rashford. He's a different style, a different physique. Everybody's speed and endurance comes up short next to Rashford.

rpg

He doesn't press high in the pitch, doesn't makes run behind defenders or support teammates. Always wants ball passed to his feet.

AXVnee7

Scratch the season if I was in his position. He had a long summer with personal disappointment at the Euros, and personal issues in his marriage and that clearly spilled over into this season. He's also struggled to match the expectations set by a strong first season here. His confidence is definitely at a low. He should take this summer to really reflect and have a good break, and then come back with a rekindled determination and focus for next season. Class is permanent, and it won't take him long to find form, he just needs to be in the mood to work hard on and off the pitch.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It's weird how people searching for an explanation to his downturn this year don't seem to acknowledge all the personal issues going on in his life. Whatever the circumstances, splitting with your wife and mother of your child can't be easy.
Did he not cheat on her?
If so, then he can't be particularly committed to his wife.
Now, if his wife left him for other reasons...that's a whole other story.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Guys you need to stop comparing him to Rashford. He's a different style, a different physique. Everybody's speed and endurance comes up short next to Rashford.
This.

This sudden need to compare him to Rashford and wanting tohave him play like him is quite weird. It somehow just blew out of nowhere and suddenly you have people constantly comparing him to Rashford as if he needs to tailor his game style like Rashfords. Some silly suggestions really.

Martial play his own game which is fine in itself and was wowing people last year. Him having a hard season and not being the managers favorite doesn't suddenly means he has to start playing like someone else let alone one whom he's clearly more talented than.

And how many players constantly run all over the place like Rashford or Lingard? Not many. You don't see all these top attacking talents and players running themselves to the ground the way Rashford does and it's fine, nor anyone should care. Rashford plays that way which is serving him just fine but let's not pretend like that's the way everyone else especially Martial has to play. That's not his game and it probably never will be.

So let's just stop looking for ridiculous reasons to complain about the guy. At least complain about something sensible, not wanting him to be some Rashford wannabe with the constant hassling and running.

Zoo

I hope he starts at CF against Arsenal. He deserves to be rewarded for his performance there against Burnley.

Bebe

Did he not cheat on her?
If so, then he can't be particularly committed to his wife.
Now, if his wife left him for other reasons...that's a whole other story.
I believe he did, yes. I'm not excusing his actions. Personally, from what I understand, I think he's been quite a cnut really. However, I don't know the full story and I don't think it's much use to pass judgment on another's personal life in any case. What I would say is that, regardless of how fault or blame is apportioned, the whole episode must be having a significant effect on his mentality and attitude towards football.

manunited1919

It's not just the work rate. I think he struggles a bit at the wing because he doesn't know how/when to create danger by passing the ball to a teammate in a better position. His decision making first instinct tends to be: look for the goal and shoot.

manunited1919

Mourinho plan to rest players next game against Arsenal, or just mind games.:cool:

Either way, Martial will play for sure and I bet he'll play as striker.
It's either him or Rooney, so let's hope Martial gets the call as striker.

Womp

idiot
They weren't married. I always found the Samantha Martial thing weird.
One of my ex's was like this. Use to tell me how cute her name is going to look when she has my last name. She'd also send me pictures of wedding rings. Scary part was I was only 19 or so. :lol:

Santoryo

ripping the reward
One of my ex's was like this. Use to tell me how cute her name is going to look when she has my last name. She'd also send me pictures of wedding rings. Scary part was I was only 19 or so. :lol:
:lol:

Womp

idiot
I feel ex is the operative word here. Good call, mister!
Aye she was a bit of a nutter, would check my phone on my lunch break to see she's broken up with me and gotten back together with me, all without me replying a single time. :lol:

soapythecat

Second season syndrome - end of. Finish the season then he should get himself off to Ibiza, smash in the gear and shag his way around the island, come back refreshed and ready to go. Job done.
We will see a much better AM next season, I'm sure.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Aye she was a bit of a nutter, would check my phone on my lunch break to see she's broken up with me and gotten back together with me, all without me replying a single time. :lol:
Sounds like yandere to me.

BigBebe

I was pretty disappointed with him on Thursday. I watched the game again and so much of the time when the camera caught him, he was totally stationary. If you are only given 15 minutes on the pitch, the least you can do is provide a bit of movement and hassle and worry their tired defenders. When you take off a clearly knackered Rashford and bring on Martial the purpose is not to give their defenders a rest, it is to push for that second goal.

Having said that, I hope he gets the start up front tomorrow, we really need him to get his mojo back for these last few games.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This is like beating a dead horse now. God forbids folks hear something somewhere, they'll run with it for God knows how long.

These criticisms about laziness and stationary this and that were never brought up last year, but someone mentioned it(probably some incompetent pundit)somewhere and the mass eat it up and it became their default argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.