Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Janson

How can this be even up for debate?
Lingard has certain qualities that Martial doesn't and vice versa. There is a case to be made for both. I haven't seen anything pointing to Mourinho preferring Martial over Lingard though.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's very hard to tell which is his best position. Till the game against Burnley I believed his best position was as LW, he was very good vs Burnley playing as striker. Today after moving to LW he was very good, before that he was average as striker.

Devil81

Martial seems to me like one of them players that have worlds of talent but lacks the aptitude to deliver on a weekly basis.

It's so frustrating, I just wish he had the drive to go and go again like Ronaldo, he'd be twice the player.

Boycott

He would be devastating in Pep's system.
He was devastating in LvG's system. He's a top talent and in time things will click again. Difficult season but it happens. A summer off and full pre season will put him in good shape.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Been very critical of him but he's still 21. At his age, I remember fans saying we should bite Valencia's hand off for offering 24m for Ronaldo in 2006. Martial is not even as experienced as Ronaldo was at that age.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This game wasn't about Martial being so much better wide than central like being said by some. He's had good games centrally as well.

Mou decided to attack and actually play some football which resulted in us finally having to play into Spur side for a while then the attacking players could at least manage to do something. And Martial being a talented player as he is (shouldn't have to remind people of this, we have an entire season last year to prove this despite what some want to convince others and themselves) he could perform.

It's as simple as that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Been very critical of him but he's still 21. At his age, I remember fans saying we should bite Valencia's hand off for offering 24m for Ronaldo in 2006. Martial is not even as experienced as Ronaldo was at that age.
According to CAF he has scored 8 goals and 8 assists, that's around 140 mins per goal or assist, which is a good enough stat.

Shame he didn't get run of games. Should start in as many games as possible.

Hawks2008

Don't know how anyone can say he was great today other than the last 10 or so minutes. I guess people are that desperate for him to be great that they project it onto him. There's a good player in there somewhere but he hasn't shown it in a long time.

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Don't know how anyone can say he was great today other than the last 10 or so minutes. I guess people are that desperate for him to be great that they project it onto him. There's a good player in there somewhere but he hasn't shown it in a long time.
Fully agree.

Mike09

Very poor as a striker against Arsenal and Spurs. He's so lazy to make a run behind the defenders consistently. Overall he has a poor season even when plays on the left he's been inconsistent. I won't be surprised if Jose decides to sell him this summer.

I hope I am wrong.

Last edited:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
According to CAF he has scored 8 goals and 8 assists, that's around 140 mins per goal or assist, which is a good enough stat.

Shame he didn't get run of games. Should start in as many games as possible.
Martial has a similar goals/assist output as Mkhitaryan and Mata but far worse defensive contributions per minute. Lingard is shambolic in terms of mins per goal but has similar defensive contribution to Mkhitaryan. This is why Lingard and Martial are given less minutes than Mkhitaryan and Mata, because they are more limited in their play.

C'est Moi Cantona

If his hearts in it long term with United then he needs time, and a bit of love/patience, if he can't be arsed with us long term then I'd get shut in the summer, because there's alot of work to do with him still.

Adisa

If his hearts in it long term with United then he needs time, and a bit of love/patience, if he can't be arsed with us long term then I'd get shut in the summer, because there's alot of work to do with him still.
He's said it more than once that he wants to stay.
And I don't get the cant be arsed. Worked as hard as anyone on the pitch today.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
He has the ability. If he can acquire the right mentality, he could easily up his game by several notches and be one of the best in the world. He has to find consistency, and has to be more aggressive.

Adisa

He has the ability. If he can acquire the right mentality, he could easily up his game by several notches and be one of the best in the world. He has to find consistency, and has to be more aggressive.
The key in my opinion. He has to be more confident and direct. At the moment he takes too long before deciding to run at his man.
I don't think work rate is the issue. The two are very different.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
The key in my opinion. He has to be more confident and direct. At the moment he takes too long before deciding to run at his man.
I don't think work rate is the issue. The two are very different.
Just look at Rashford and the contrast is huge. Rashford is aggressive and confident in everything he does, you rarely see his head drop. If Martial had the same mentality, I think he'd be the better player. He's incredibly talented, it just isn't working out for some reason.

El-Manos

Very poor as a striker against Arsenal and Spurs. He's so lazy to make a run behind the defenders consistently. Overall he has a poor season even when plays on the left he's been inconsistent. I won't be surprised if Jose decides to sell him this summer.

I hope I am wrong.
If he deserves to be sold, then 80% of our current squad should join him.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Indeed, he was for most of the game.

Shocking to see people posting that he played well when in reality it was a decent 15 minute spell when Spurs decided to protect their lead. His assist was pretty good though. Still nowhere near good enough on the basis of the full 90 minute performance. He also needs to work on his first touch. It's been horendous lately
Thank you some people don't seem as sensible as you on here

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
Martial has a similar goals/assist output as Mkhitaryan and Mata but far worse defensive contributions per minute. Lingard is shambolic in terms of mins per goal but has similar defensive contribution to Mkhitaryan. This is why Lingard and Martial are given less minutes than Mkhitaryan and Mata, because they are more limited in their play.
Defensive contributions per minute :lol::lol::lol:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Defensive contributions per minute :lol::lol::lol:
I could have calculated defensive contribution per 90 minutes but i was in a hurry when i calculated them :lol:
Defensive contributions divided by minutes played is what i settle with

C'est Moi Cantona

He's said it more than once that he wants to stay.
And I don't get the cant be arsed. Worked as hard as anyone on the pitch today.
Talk is cheap, and you've taken the can't be arsed bit out of context.

Sure Jose knows if he's up for it long term, so we'll see how it plays out, unsure at this point though personally.

TheReligion

Abusive
Martial is an investment. Some forget how young he is.

If he wants to stay, and he's said he does, then no reason for him to leave.

Mike09

If he deserves to be sold, then 80% of our current squad should join him.
I am actually talking about his contribution this season instead of who has better potential and talent.

I believe players like Pogba, Herrera, Bailly, Rojo, Blind, Valencia, De Gea, Romero, Zlatan, Pogba, Rashford, Mata, Young, Fellaini, and Mkhy have done much better than Martial this season. Only Shaw, Mensah, Rooney, Lingard, Smalling have done worse than Martial. That's clearly not 80%.

I hope Martial stays though.

Cheekiey

He was our best player today with Bailly.
He was good today. Nothing amazing but actually useful.
Was he? I was at the spurs game and apart from the run leading up to the goal, he didn't really do much at all. He wouldn't jump for the ball the entire first half, didn't pressure the back line, he looked quite lost until he got shifted out to the wing. I am a big big fan and backer of Martial but to say he was our best player, erm no. If the ball isn't to feet or isn't allowed to turn he didn't offer much. I give him praise when it's due but I won't praise him for the sake of an assist.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Was he? I was at the spurs game and apart from the run leading up to the goal, he didn't really do much at all. He wouldn't jump for the ball the entire first half, didn't pressure the back line, he looked quite lost until he got shifted out to the wing. I am a big big fan and backer of Martial but to say he was our best player, erm no. If the ball isn't to feet or isn't allowed to turn he didn't offer much. I give him praise when it's due but I won't praise him for the sake of an assist.
I missed a decent portion of the game, so between that and being swayed by at least having a better performance than usual, maybe I have a distorted view of him today.

Womp

idiot
At the stage where I'll be very happy if he stays, will understand if he leaves. His assist yesterday shows he can still do it and that it's got very little to do with tactics, just doesn't do it enough.

Stadjer

Havent seen the game, nor have i seen highlights nor the goal Rooney scored... however every player who can make current Rooney score a goal is a good player.

More serious.. good first season and a "bad" second season isnt that uncommon. I hope he stays for a lomg time.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
He plays like a youth team player who's just come to senior football.

He's spectacularly one-dimensional. Stand on the left, wait for the ball, try to beat the defender. He'll repeat that all game. There's no movement, no one touch quick passes, no give and go's. He doesn't do anything else.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Been the same every time he's played in his "best" position this season.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He plays like a youth team player who's just come to senior football.

He's spectacularly one-dimensional. Stand on the left, wait for the ball, try to beat the defender. He'll repeat that all game. There's no movement, no one touch quick passes, no give and go's. He doesn't do anything else.
He's always looking for this on the edge of the box. Give and go's cutting in from the left is one of his most common plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.