5.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

izec

I think he was good yesterday, was unlucky 2 times and the only player close to scoring before we did, and he assisted it brilliantly. I hope he gets his act together in summer mentally and body wise, and he gets the fire back he had in his first season. He could be like a new signing again. Next season is time to deliver and there wont be any excuses. From him and Mkhitaryan i expect much more.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
He's always looking for this on the edge of the box. Give and go's cutting in from the left is one of his most common plays.
Eh, if you say so. We have hardly gotten to the opposition box in recent games so maybe that distorts things.

laughtersassassin

Eh, if you say so. We have hardly gotten to the opposition box in recent games so maybe that distorts things.
yeah martial is one of the players who tries to give and goes, it's is just that in the games he played recently pogba has not started.

And when we dont start pogba we see none of the ball which results in all of our attacking players having no service imo.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I really cannot believe some are entertaining the thought of selling him. Signed for big money and was by far our best player last season, difficult second season but still contributed 9 goals and 8 assists despite not playing regularly. And is only 21 ffs!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I really cannot believe some are entertaining the thought of selling him. Signed for big money and was by far our best player last season, difficult second season but still contributed 9 goals and 8 assists despite not playing regularly. And is only 21 ffs!
There will be few who will always say things like that. Lot of impatience, few bad games means player should be sold. Very simple solution.

Terminator

Don't know how anyone can say he was great today other than the last 10 or so minutes. I guess people are that desperate for him to be great that they project it onto him. There's a good player in there somewhere but he hasn't shown it in a long time.
How is he supposed to show anything when he has absolutely zero support all game? He tried to but is not capable of taking on the entire Spurs backline on his own. Shocking attacking tactics and intent all game from United.

SteveW

It's bizarre. On the back of a good performance and all. The way he set up that goal is surely and example of why we need to keep him

lopiop

He started the season badly, and kinda of carried on until he picked up some form in the europa and cup games but mourinho decided to drop him, and play rashford and lingard instead. Next season he needs to be given more game time for me to perform. He seems to struggle to be in and out of the side.

Aint gota Kalou

Been the same every time he's played in his "best" position this season.
Against Burnley he played upfront and its probably the best he's played this season.

Do think he's better on the left though, would like to see him play with another striker centrally as well.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
If he keeps performing like this and skips the Crystal Palace game, he might have a chance to play the final, although I still have doubts Mourinho trusts his winning character.

Jaxa

Just watching back highlight's of him last season and how confident he was, next season can be massive for him, I just hope he takes the opportunity he has because he's 21 and has the world at his feet playing for one of the biggest club's in the world, he really is a special kid and it would be a disaster if he doesn't become a success here

cheeky_backheel

Just watching back highlight's of him last season and how confident he was, next season can be massive for him, I just hope he takes the opportunity he has because he's 21 and has the world at his feet playing for one of the biggest club's in the world, he really is a special kid and it would be a disaster if he doesn't become a success here
I think a season with less spotlight will be good for him. While he will probably be on the bench, the new signings will be taking most of the pressure. He should get game time against weaker oppositions which hopefully returns his confidence. If he can become the super sub up front will be a great way to locking down a starting spot.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He'll be better just for the fact that Zlatan won't be around, there was absolutely no chemistry between the two on the pitch and Martial looked stifled by him.

Whilst we're at it we should give Martial first dibs on the no.9 too if he really wanted it. It was a conplete joke that we took it off him in the first place, no matter how trivial the matter is.

Frank Grimes

He'll be better just for the fact that Zlatan won't be around, there was absolutely no chemistry between the two on the pitch and Martial looked stifled by him.

Whilst we're at it we should give Martial first dibs on the no.9 too if he really wanted it. It was a conplete joke that we took it off him in the first place, no matter how trivial the matter is.
It wasn't that trivial for Martial he had just started a brand ala CR7 and was not too pleased by all accounts. No excuse for his below par form for a full season though.

VanGaalEra

Was he? I was at the spurs game and apart from the run leading up to the goal, he didn't really do much at all. He wouldn't jump for the ball the entire first half, didn't pressure the back line, he looked quite lost until he got shifted out to the wing. I am a big big fan and backer of Martial but to say he was our best player, erm no. If the ball isn't to feet or isn't allowed to turn he didn't offer much. I give him praise when it's due but I won't praise him for the sake of an assist.
Mourinho's comments

"Yeah, he was good, he was good," Mourinho said of Martial's display at Spurs. "He was okay against Arsenal, he was okay too.

"Against Celta he didn’t play because the options were different but he’s fine, he’s fine and he’s one of the guys for who it’s very important to play 90 minutes.

cheeky_backheel

It wasn't that trivial for Martial he had just started a brand ala CR7 and was not too pleased by all accounts. No excuse for his below par form for a full season though.
When he is as good as Ibra, he can also pick his shirt number.

Everyone seems to be more concerned with marketing their brand these days than actually playing the game.

spwd

Wtf really?Some right nutters on here. :houllier:

sunama

Baghdad Bob

Everyone seems to be more concerned with marketing their brand these days than actually playing the game.
Exactly!
Last season, Martial got huge praise for scoring 12 league goals in a season and it probably went to his head.
Ibra came and immediately scored more.
Hopefully, watching Ibra, Martial now knows the level he has to perform at, to be worthy of the No.9 shirt.

Scoring goals is the most difficult (and important) thing to do in a football match. Hopefully Martial will be able to improve and score some goals next season.
For me, 5 league goals this season is absolutely dire and I honestly can't see Martial in a title winning team. I hope he proves me wrong at MUFC, though.

pocco

loco

How about looking after your young players that have just been your best player the previous season and cost you £50 million instead of fecking them over for some mercenary who will only be around 2 years max? Why didn't Zlatan take Rooneys number, since that's the number he has had previously?

It was just an example of how shite we are run these days.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
How about looking after your young players that have just been your best player the previous season and cost you £50 million instead of fecking them over for some mercenary who will only be around 2 years max? Why didn't Zlatan take Rooneys number, since that's the number he has had previously?

Absolutely hilarious saying we should look after a youngster we paid £50 million for. If anything the fact that Martial is even at the club shows our failure as a club; our young players should come from the academy and they should be learning from more experienced players that we buy. The main youngster we should look after is Rashford because he is Man Utd through and through.

ilovethisgameahahah

Absolutely hilarious saying we should look after a youngster we paid £50 million for. If anything the fact that Martial is even at the club shows our failure as a club; our young players should come from the academy and they should be learning from more experienced players that we buy. The main youngster we should look after is Rashford because he is Man Utd through and through.
We paid what we were willing to pay, none of that's on Martial. Whenever a big club signs a teenager they are taking on a responsibility to develop that player like they would one of their own, not throw them to the dogs as soon as they hit some bad form.

Last edited:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
We paid what we were willing to pay, none of that's on Martial. Whenever a big club signs a teenager they are taking on a responsibility to develop that player like they would one of their own, no throw them to the dogs as soon as they hit some bad form.
I never said his price tag was his fault. Big clubs do not pay large amounts of money for youngsters, they develop their own youngsters. Martial and Luke Shaw are indicative of our structure as a club and that structure is one on it's last legs. Our academy doesn't produce top talent on a regular basis anymore, and this is because it hasn't got any investment in a long time. Our U-23s are getting relegated and is a team of 8-9 midfielders. Angel Gomes is the first top talent that our academy has produced in a long time (he isnt one of those players that comes here at 16 and is considered a youth product like Pogba, he is a local lad).

I would have much preferred if the money we spent on Martial and Luke Shaw was actually spent on our Academy so we could get players to play in those positions organically. That being said i have no inclination to throw Martial to the dogs, he is a young player and should be given time to develop as a squad player. But he is on less time than Rashford because he is an investment whereas Rashford didnt cost a penny.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I never said his price tag was his fault. Big clubs do not pay large amounts of money for youngsters, they develop their own youngsters. Martial and Luke Shaw are indicative of our structure as a club and that structure is one on it's last legs. Our academy doesn't produce top talent on a regular basis anymore, and this is because it hasn't got any investment in a long time. Our U-23s are getting relegated and is a team of 8-9 midfielders. Angel Gomes is the first top talent that our academy has produced in a long time (he isnt one of those players that comes here at 16 and is considered a youth product like Pogba, he is a local lad).

I would have much preferred if the money we spent on Martial and Luke Shaw was actually spent on our Academy so we could get players to play in those positions organically. That being said i have no inclination to throw Martial to the dogs, he is a young player and should be given time to develop as a squad player. But he is on less time than Rashford because he is an investment whereas Rashford didnt cost a penny.
What are you on about? Big clubs rarely develop their own academy players and buy the best young players from other clubs. Our u23s aren't getting relegated. Rashford is a top talent. And what do you want the money to be invested in if signing 16 year olds to the academy doesn't count? Throwing money around isn't going to just make kids in Manchester become better than they are.

ilovethisgameahahah

Our under 23's was in a state this year (they have escaped relegation btw) but that was because it was essentially gutted. The best players were either loaned out (Januzaj and Pereira), sold or promoted to the first team (Rashford, Tuanzebe, TFM, ....) and we lost our great coach Joyce, who went on to try his hand at management. We essentially wrote it off before the season began.

We have invested and are still investing heavily in the under 18's down so the under 23's from next year onward should start to bear the fruits of our labour. I do agree that more money should be spent on the academy side of things but it would be hard for anyone to argue that we don't have the best academy and academy scouts in the whole of England when you look at the players we have produced even in recent years. The world record transfer player was scouted and developed in our academy for gods sake. Local lads like Rashford and Tuanzebe coming through is a bonus, not the norm nowadays.

People love to bang on about City or Chelsea or Arsenals shiny new academy's but it's all lip service and has been for a while. I can't think of one decent, top level player to come out of any of those academies in a very long time. It's all good having a top academy but if you cant provide a path for clear progression in a players career then what's the point? Most top academies in England produce an army of loan players with nowhere to call home.

I don't really get your point about Rashford and Martial. They are both top players and we don't have to decide between them.

Last edited:

SteveW

This is moronic. Big clubs buy talented young players. Very few of the top clubs have many of their own academy players playing in their first teams. Fewer still that have been at the cub since they were young kids. The best players don't happen to be born in Barcelona, Madrid, Munich etc. They get scouted and brought in.

Why would we invest huge amounts in the academy and then limit ourselves to developing "local lads" You think were going to magically find another crop of world class Manchester kids? It doesn't matter how or where we get top young players from. We just need to get them. Ronaldo is a perfect example. 12 million was a lot of money at the time for a 18 year old kid nobody had heard of but look at the result.

Rashford being local doesn't make him any more valuable to us than Martial. Both players are ours and it will benefit us to do everything we can to develop both players as much as possible. It makes absolutely zero sense to prioritise ones development over the other.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I have no problem with top clubs buying young players and developing them. The difference is that a youngster was our most expensive signing by £20 million (hency why i said large amounts of money). It is not sustainable to spend so much on youngsters, especially when there are many youngster on a similar level to Martial. Madrid have Carvajal, Vasquez, Nacho in and around the 1st team, Barcelona have just gone through a period where many of their youth products were in the first team, the same can be said about Bayern Munich (Schweinsteiger, Muller, Kroos).

When you spend £50 million on a youngster he has a larger expectation to produce than a player that cost nothing. I do not think it is right because players develop at their own speed, but football is a business and that is the reality of balancing the books. And nowhere have i said that Martial shouldnt be given time to develop, just that he will be given less time because that is the what makes the most sense business wise.

I want Martial to develop and flourish at United, but his price tag means he will be given less time by the club. I would give him as much time as needed within reason, but I am a fan not running the club's finances.

Eddy_JukeZ

Next season is huge for Martial.

I had a lot of faith in his ability and him last season, but I've lost some this season.

I really hope my initial optimism pans out and he hits the ground running next season.

Janson

Because that mercenary has had a fantastic season nominated for poty scoring 28 goals for our club the club we support you know while your young player has been largely shite and done nothing to help us this season. How about you start thinking about what's good for the club instead of what's good for Martial?

In hindsight giving him the number was the right call. Or do you think he's been horrible because Zlatan took his number and otherwise he would've become a world beater?

How would you feel if Martial leaves this summer? Would you go support his club?

pocco

loco
Because that mercenary has had a fantastic season nominated for poty scoring 28 goals for our club the club we support you know while your young player has been largely shite and done nothing to help us this season. How about you start thinking about what's good for the club instead of what's good for Martial?

In hindsight giving him the number was the right call. Or do you think he's been horrible because Zlatan took his number and otherwise he would've become a world beater?
At the point Zlatan was given the number, absolutely none of that had happened and Martial was the shining hope for the future of our attack. Nobody knows for sure but I am of the opinion that it probably did effect him and that was probably why his agent wasn't happy about it at the time.

No matter which way you look at it, it was a shit thing for us to do and nobody will convince me otherwise. If people want to argue that it's only a shirt number, then why didn't Zlatan take a different one? It's not the fact that he had to take a different number but the message it sends to Martial. Not to mention the time and money he'd just put into marketing himself with the number 9.

pocco

loco
Absolutely hilarious saying we should look after one talented youngster more than another. We're not Real Madrid, we're a club built on nurturing young talents, no matter where they come from. It's what has brought us so much success. The price tag has feck all to do with Martial, what matters is that he chose to come and play for us.

In these situations I always think "what would Fergie have done?" The answer isn't bend over backwards for a 35 year old at the expense of an extremely talented youngster that we are trying to push to become a mainstay in our team for years to come.

MadMike

For me it's not even about Ibra vs Martial. The highlight of Mourinho's mismanagement of Martial was the fact that he kept marginalising him for Lingard, not for Ibra. Even after good performances. Ibra justified his inclusion with his goals. Not sure what Lingard offered.

Even in this shit by his standards year Martial has had double the output of Lingard in same number of games and similar number of minutes on the pitch. I would at least understand it if the end result justified the means. But Lingard has been performing shite and the team has been lacking goals. Instead, because Mourinho has been getting in a tiff about his wingers playing like fullbacks and marking first and foremost, he was happy with the mediocre Lingard over Martial. He did the same shit with Mkhi, no noticeable improvement in Mkhi's performances either.

So now we have less goals scored than Bournemouth. Well played Mou, well played.

cheeky_backheel

Look after someone that gets paid £60k+ a week to do a job - are you kidding me? If he is affected by losing his number to a better player, then he has bigger issues ahead.

Rashford is younger, earning less, working harder and doing better. .

Being the highest goal scorer in club history, Rooney has earned the right to hold on to his number till he dies. If it was the NBA, Rooney's number would have been retired.

The fault lies not with Martial, but with the club management that gave him the number in the first place.

Devil may care

He's shown exactly the right attitude, he's working hard on the pitch and it's been noted by several pundits including Neville, who chewed him out more than once earlier in the season. I think he's done enough to get in ahead of Lingard for the EL final.

cheeky_backheel

For me it's not even about Ibra vs Martial. The highlight of Mourinho's mismanagement of Martial was the fact that he kept marginalising him for Lingard, not for Ibra. Even after good performances. Ibra justified his inclusion with his goals. Not sure what Lingard offered.

Even in this shit by his standards year Martial has had double the output of Lingard in same number of games and similar number of minutes on the pitch. I would at least understand it if the end result justified the means. But Lingard has been performing shite and the team has been lacking goals. Instead, because Mourinho has been getting in a tiff about his wingers playing like fullbacks and marking first and foremost, he was happy with the mediocre Lingard over Martial. He did the same shit with Mkhi, no noticeable improvement in Mkhi's performances either.

So now we have less goals scored than Bournemouth. Well played Mou, well played.
Its a team sport and the manager decides what is best for the team.

Initially Rashford and Martial were basically alternating, but Rashford has since pulled clearly ahead.

Lingard does not really play in the same position as Martial, and even if he is limited in talent, he makes up for it in effort and tries to do the right thing. Martial plays like his mind is elsewhere, playing in his own world. He gets the ball and runs at defenders until he loses the ball and then looks at the sky as if expecting some angel will come down and help him recover it.

Janson

I wouldn't sell him but the problem is, he will be getting even less minutes next season with new players coming in. He could barely get a game this season, and he was not even in the squad many times. If you're loosing out to all of your competition even Lingard and Rooney sometimes, then what's gonna happen next season with possibly world class players to compete with?

Is he gonna be happy with this? I think not. Considering his talent he really should be somewhere where he will play. And I'm sure there will be interest from plenty of clubs. If he comes good at another club then he will surely be bought by a big club. If I was him I would surely choose to go somewhere where I can play rather then stay for another year with a manager who has no faith in me.

pocco

loco
Look after someone that gets paid £60k+ a week to do a job - are you kidding me? If he is affected by losing his number to a better player, then he has bigger issues ahead.

Rashford is younger, earning less, working harder and doing better. .

Being the highest goal scorer in club history, Rooney has earned the right to hold on to his number till he dies. If it was the NBA, Rooney's number would have been retired.

The fault lies not with Martial, but with the club management that gave him the number in the first place.
I don't remember anybody complaining when he was given the number in the first place.

Like i said it's not about the number but the message it sends to Martial. And I'm not saying it was the sole reason for Martials poor form this season, but it's not exactly worked out well has it. The 35 year old is gone and the Martial is a shadow of the player he was last year when he was full of confidence. Good management that!

Status
Not open for further replies.