6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

Good, yeah. Without meaning to be pedantic, incredible is quite a jump though. Keeps happening on here every time someone has a good game or two. Don't want to shit on Martial as he's doing alright at the mo, but there's been as many games where he's not contributed much as well.
His goals/assists to minute stats suggest he's doing a lot better than alright. Not sure what more he's expected to do

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
The way I see it both him and Rashford can be considered as regulars. There's nothing wrong with rotating the squad.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Rotating Rashford and Martial won't be a problem if the other attackers were playing well.

Djemba-Djemba

It was a relief yesterday to see it was Martial who was running onto the Lukaku header and bearing down on goal.

He really is an excellent finisher, it wasn't the cleanest contact but I reckon he knew if he hit it into the ground the keeper would have no chance.

SteveW

Imagine if SAF had took the same approach with Rooney and Ronaldo. He didn't of course.

I'd love to see what we could do if both were starting either side of Lukaku. That's a seriously pacey attack.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
what a load of crap, wouldn't be talking such nonsense if Martial was ingurlish
Not necessarily, I tend to agree with him. Martial doesn't strike as someone who's giving 100% at all times. Maybe it's actually incorrect, but there is definitely a perception issue when it comes to him. The fact that he's lost his place for France is a bit telling as well, even if Deschamps is incomprehensible at times in his choices.

Also, he is correct, Martial should be someone who could score 20 in 20, he has that kind of talent and ability and showed it from the age of 19, but his progress has been lackluster. Sure, he deserves more playing time, and I feel Mourinho has been too difficult on him at times, but it's ultimately up to him to show progress and so far I don't feel he has made great strides in his personal development.

yo@Kirk

It makes no sense that Rashford and Martial can't play together because Mhki has must start abilities and performance. Martial behind Lukaku and Rashford in a 3-4-1-2 would more effectively utilize the attacking skills of all three a lot better than Mhki starting at the 1 and Rashford and Martial splitting time up front. Whatever Mhki might offer in defense compared to Martial is insignificant when compared to what Martial offers over Mhki in attack. You could say Martial would make the defense better because of better ball retention.

Emrethis

Not necessarily, I tend to agree with him. Martial doesn't strike as someone who's giving 100% at all times. Maybe it's actually incorrect, but there is definitely a perception issue when it comes to him. The fact that he's lost his place for France is a bit telling as well, even if Deschamps is incomprehensible at times in his choices.

Also, he is correct, Martial should be someone who could score 20 in 20, he has that kind of talent and ability and showed it from the age of 19, but his progress has been lackluster. Sure, he deserves more playing time, and I feel Mourinho has been too difficult on him at times, but it's ultimately up to him to show progress and so far I don't feel he has made great strides in his personal development.
I'm inclined to agree. But its not a matter of effort or talent. It looks to me that he's lacking that intensity. By this I mean that he doesn't seize the game by the scruff of the neck. He doesn't force himself into the game. It looks as if he's fine watching the game pass him by.

This may be the crucial element he's lacking at the moment.

Come to think of it, is this what Jose's trying to coach into Martial? Playing him as a sub so that he gets used to forcing himself into the game. Because by only giving him 10-20 min a game, this forces him to be high intensity. It trains him to assert himself on the game because there's not much time for him to make an impact.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Apart from neither of them are good enough on the right. So it won't happen and rightly so.
Rashford pretty much all of last year was awful on the left and looked better in his brief time on the right. For England he has played on the right as well and done pretty well. He can play there no problem.

Number1

To me Martial looks like lacks enthusiasm or passion when plays, not saying he does lack it, I’m just saying it ‘looks’ that way.

Another criticism i have of Martial is he expects the ball to his feet rather than making runs or working for it and when he does get the ball more often than not; he tries to do too much and loses it or makes the wrong decision and loses it.

He has as great talent though, can do great things but still very raw.

SteveW

Apart from neither of them are good enough on the right. So it won't happen and rightly so.
Sorry, I must gave forgot about that great player we have on the right every week???
The idea that neither are good enough to do it is a strange one. They mustn't be half as good as we think they are if that's the case. I think you greatly underestimate them. Martial's goal yesterday came from a great cross field run from the right wing.

Backrow Singer

I forget how young he is sometimes, 21 years of age.

I'm a big fan of his, think he's got a good presence about him. Good feet, quick, getting stronger and his end product is improving as well.

Delighted to see him get the goal yesterday.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
To me Martial looks like lacks enthusiasm or passion when plays, not saying he does lack it, I’m just saying it ‘looks’ that way.

Another criticism i have of Martial is he expects the ball to his feet rather than making runs or working for it and when he does get the ball more often than not; he tries to do too much and loses it or makes the wrong decision and loses it.

He has as great talent though, can do great things but still very raw.
It’s true what Jose has said about them: Rashford is better off the ball while Martial is better with it.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The one thing I think works in Martial's favor is that I feel Lukaku definitely plays better with him than with Rashford. It's been a consistent theme that when Martial is alongside Lukaku, the big Belgian seems to get more opportunities to score or provide chances than with Rashford, including yesterday's game. In the short cameo appearance of Martial, Lukaku got his best opportunities, and it has been the same in other games Martial was introduced in.

Treble

Martial has contributed a goal/assist every 44 min in the league so far :eek: Best in the league in that regard ahead of Sane (53 min) and Aguero (54 min.).

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I think we’d all love to see a run of games where we play Matic and Pogba as a two, Mkhitaryan in front of them feeding the passes. Lukaku leading the line, and Martial and Rashford playing as interchangeable, floating wide forwards.

Brings the best out of everyone.

RedStarUnited

I'm inclined to agree. But its not a matter of effort or talent. It looks to me that he's lacking that intensity. By this I mean that he doesn't seize the game by the scruff of the neck. He doesn't force himself into the game. It looks as if he's fine watching the game pass him by.

This may be the crucial element he's lacking at the moment.

Come to think of it, is this what Jose's trying to coach into Martial? Playing him as a sub so that he gets used to forcing himself into the game. Because by only giving him 10-20 min a game, this forces him to be high intensity. It trains him to assert himself on the game because there's not much time for him to make an impact.
Whilst I can kind of agree with this, theres also a huge issue withing our team when it comes to "activating" wingers. So when we are playing bad and Martial is barely getting the ball, its just as fair to blame his team mates for not getting the ball to him as for him not searching for the ball. Sure he will over dribble in some games or the dribbling just wont work. But you have to live with this if you want the qualities he has.

snk123

Give him Rashford's mentality and he'll be a Ballondor winner soon.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
Far too many intangibles and incredible amount of conjecture when it comes to discussing Martial on this forum. No one looks at him objectively on this forum.

Member 5225

As I've said for ages, talent gets you so far, temperament is also vital.
At the moment Rashford is playing far better IMHO.

Hopefully Martial still has a few more gears to climb to, but at the moment his often languid efforts when he starts hinders him, or....he's just not as good as we all think!

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

NotQuiteManc

Martial has been improving, especially on the defensive side of his game (awareness), but I think he can further improve his attacking game and his mentality. Based on the Huddersfield game, the early (dangerous) tackle affected him too much, which almost cost him a second yellow and red card which would not help the team at all. Especially when having a skittish CB in Lindelof (another one that could improve his mentality side of his game).

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He’s crap at penalties like. The last couple he scored were placed just as poor and gagging to be saved if the keeper guessed right
He usually waits for the keeper to make a move and rolls it the other way, so it looks weak.

But that run to get the penalty. He's already put their CB on a yellow and won a penalty with his dribbling tonight. No one else in our team has that ability.

Dion

He’s crap at penalties like. The last couple he scored were placed just as poor and gagging to be saved if the keeper guessed right
They were placed that was because he waited for the keeper to move early. The keeper didn't move this time and he didn't hit it very well.

el3mel

He always plays the penalties like this depending on the keeper moving to the wrong side. I think it's good he missed a one in not a very important game so that he changes the technique next times.

No problem at all.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah he takes them like hazard kind of. Weak passes rather then good penalties. Good record as he is composed and waits long enough for the keeper to commit but if he calls your bluff, he'll save it.

J_XO

Just as he's looking on top form :( hopefully it doesn't affect him but when his confidence is hit he becomes a passenger

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He usually waits for the keeper to make a move and rolls it the other way, so it looks weak.

But that run to get the penalty. He's already put their CB on a yellow and won a penalty with his dribbling tonight. No one else in our team has that ability.
His feet were great for that yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.