Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Setting yourself up for outrage, friend. Martial is better with Lukaku and we all know who the team is built around

Edit: Sanchez was also below average so I'm not seeing this new partnership with Rashford
Martial I agree is better with Lukaku, though in terms of overall balance.. Sanchez technically offers similar things to martial in his style when he plays as the 10, while rashford adds the pace out wide. So that trio is better balanced then Martial, lukaku and Sanchez IMO, though it's still early and i'm sure they'll all improve with each other and learn to play. Add pogba in there too, they need to adapt to each others styles and the positions they pick up.

Sanchez wasn't below average at all. Thought he was very influential throughout, especially the first half where he had a really good performance, just had a bad 15-20 minute spell at the start of the 2nd half before he went out wide. Looked tired if anything, but first half he was class.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I hope he's back for Sevilla, our attack was great yesterday but our bench looked a bit bare bones.

ti vu

Almost got in near the end, I think he links best with Lukaku of our forwards.
Yes. The timing of his run with Lukaku's release of the pass is perfect. Onside while not losing any momentum to leave defenders dead on theirs feet. Shame he got injured at this time and can't start. Their mutual understanding looks like special.

Member 90678

As for Martial, if you want commitment great, I want decisive moments in the final third. That's as committed as it gets.
Being decisive and comitted are different things.
Everyone wants a player to be decisive in their position, weather that be a defender/midfielder or attacker.
I want Martial to be comitted weather he is going forward or tracking a full back, not just going forward.
You have seen/watched the United team in the 90s/00s and I can't think of any other players that did not work hard and bust a gut for us and show 100% comitment.
If you want to see a skilful, hard working winger/attacker then look no further than giggs, but you already know that as you have seen him which makes it even more bizzare that you don't expect the same from martial.

Web of Bissaka

Late but whatever :p before the soon next game.

Did well after coming on. He and Lukaku brings out the best of each other. Lukaku's best partner so far. Since Romelu will play almost every game, so...

Not enough times to make more impacts, but with Lukaku, created one good chance, fair decision, but maybe could've try for a goal instead.

He's very direct yet precise, and offers good balance between when to stay width and when to cutting in.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I don’t think he has a future at the club under Mourinho. If Mourinho stays on then I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see him leave in the summer.

I just hope to God that the board veto the sale.

Chiken138

Supports
FC Bayern München
Mourinho already ordered long ago to extend his contract

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He was really shit, to be fair many of them were.

Hes a little unintelligent, if you ask me. Plays on the left but never stays there.

el3mel

"Abysmal" is too kind of a word to describe his performance today.

Show some urgency in your play ffs!!

Abhinav

How he stayed on the pitch ahead of Mata I will never know... Terrible performance

breakout67

Supports
Man City
"Abysmal" is too kind of a word to describe his performance today.

Show some urgency in your play ffs!!
People talk about how he's our 'best attacker' and other such hyperbole, but the reality is that he's far too one dimensional for that. Martial plays one way, show him on the outside and he'll run into you and try to pinball his way through you. Doesn't matter how many people there are, he will try to dribble past as many players that are in front of him.

Incredibly tunnel visioned player, a b-tech Arjen Robben and Robben is 34.

Treble

With performances like that he might find himself on the bench and miss the WC. I don't think that Jose is blameless though. Martial was in hot form prior to Sanchez's signing.

Djemba-Djemba

Outside of that nice bit of play between him and Mata in the first half I thought he was very poor.

He has too many games like this where he seems content to just let the 90 minutes pass him by.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If he wants to go to the world cup, he'll buck up his ideas. 10 yards beg Matic what he crossed for the first goal.
Not acceptable.

Web of Bissaka

First half ~ Martial and Mata show. Cut inside a lot more today, which is fine when there is overlapping attacking LB constantly there.
*Good long crossings, nice to see his crossing skill improves.

Second half ~ Where is my Shaw? Struggle to impose himself. Martial missed his attacking left wing partner.

Overall, game of two halves. The only downside to his game is... urgency, lacking a big lot of it today. Also focus, defensively following runners, many times he let them be.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Sign up up to a longer deal and get the best price for him. Performance like this is unacceptable. We won after a horrible team display but we won so the criticism won't be that bad but he deserves harder criticism. He should be all over pitch making a claim that he should start over Sanchez/Rashford and guess what not only he loses the ball at every single occasion makes the worst decision at every situation , that's ok, you can have a game like this but you shouldn't really be jogging around.

I can see Rashford becoming easily better player than Martial, mentality is very important in football and Martial is lacking there, he will be like Ben Arfa

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Not good today.

But Jose kept him on because he needs minutes after the injury and wants him fresh for the run in.

Remember, Martial won over Jose prior to his injury and just prior to Sanchez.

Even in a poor game martial still produces something creative like today the exchange with Mata in the first half.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
In what world was that performance possibly described as decent?

He lacks so many basic attributes as a pro footballer.

Everytime he loses the ball, he stops and stands still. And it happens a lot. Far too much.

Highlight reel superstar, not a good player, never progressed, actually regressed.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Felt like Jose’s post match was particularly damning of Martial there. He’s definitely one that fits into what he said

haram

Felt like Jose’s post match was particularly damning of Martial there. He’s definitely one that fits into what he said
That’s what I thought. Probably alongside Shaw, Valencia, maybe even Bailly.

Devil may care

I thought he was our best attacker in the first half, which isn't saying much, but still. Faded badly in the second half and I don't know why he was kept on over Mata.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That’s what I thought. Probably alongside Shaw, Valencia, maybe even Bailly.
Maybe Bailly with the mention of how we played out of defence. Can’t knock him for personality though. I think his problems are easier to sort out than the others.
Definitely Shaw though.

Martial never takes his opportunities with both hands. He might’ve ended up with an assist at one point but he rarely affects whole games well.

Silas

I thought he was good in the first half. Second half wasn't near the same level though. Didn't really waste possession, but didn't threaten either. For the most part, I thought he kept things ticking quite well when he was on the ball.

Last edited:

Utdstar01

I don't think he was as bad as some. He was at least trying things, trying to link up, give and go but a alot of times players wouldn' t return the ball to him and instead played it backwards or sidewards. Martial was basically a number 10 in the 2nd half because majority of our players were playing so cowardly, not throwing a bit of caution to the wind.

Zoo

Some harsh criticism here. I thought he was decent and his natural link with Lukaku is one of the highlights of our often poor attacking play.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He was hiding.
Angry with him tbh.
Sometimes he doesn't want it enough.
The number of times he's behind the ball is shocking for a forward like him.
Definitely one of the player Mourinho was talking about.
Lingard too.

Stretfordender

Not a fan of Martial. Its obvious that the lad has talent but for me it doesn’t appear that he has the work ethic or desire to push on become a real world class player at united. Admittedly, tonight he did a couple of nice ‘one twos’ with Mata but it’s not enough the rest of his play was woeful and he looked totally uninterested. In respect of Martial, I really hope I’m proven wrong but unless his attitude/Work rate changes I’m pretty confident it wont be the case..

Last edited:

Pudding Of Part

I'm not sure that Mourinho's comments were aimed at Martial. He left him on the pitch ahead of Mata and Lingard.

I thought he had good moments in the first half. In the second he was poor but at least he went looking for the ball. A couple of times he was waving others to press higher up the pitch.

Bobski

Doesn't want it enough. It is where Rashford quickly moved beyond him when breaking through, the difference in application is night and day. As with Pogba talent alone is not enough.

AndyJ1985

He's apparently one of the most talented young players in world football. But you could count on one hand the amount of good performances he's had this season, and they were sub appearances. He goes missing almost every time he starts a game

Status
Not open for further replies.