6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbenger

Martial was one of our best performers prior to Sanhcez. 3 times player of the month. Just saying.
Yea, in 6 months too.

He basically won half of the total number of player of the month awards in that period.

A shit player, no matter how many purple patches, can’t manage such a feat.

Gbenger

Look at Lukaku and then look at Martial. Their mentalities and will for the team are planets apart. People need to wake up, his dribbling wont make up for it, not at the top level.
Martial’s mentality is fine.

And by the way if Mourinho wants to play fast attacking football, he needs players like Martial at their best, not Lukaku who unfortunately tends to struggle with fast, precise passing.

haram

Martial’s mentality is fine.

And by the way if Mourinho wants to play fast attacking football, he needs players like Martial at their best, not Lukaku who unfortunately tends to struggle with fast, precise passing.
Yeah of course.

Litch

Yea, in 6 months too.

He basically won half of the total number of player of the month awards in that period.

A shit player, no matter how many purple patches, can’t manage such a feat.
Depends on where you set your bar. Player of the month here isn't that hard tbh. Player of the month at Real, Barca or City.....it's all about levels

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
If only Martial had the drive and determination of Suarez/Ronaldo. He's so talented and blessed with great close control, he should be doing much better.

Member 90678

When he played as #9 under LVG how many goals did he score? Stop this non-sense of being out of position, because he is not capable of holding the ball with his back to the goal. He makes the most threat by cutting inside from the left and this is where he will be, unless he moves to a different club with a different system. He lost his form because someone took his shirt no., he lost his form because he didn't start in his favourite position. The only valid excuse is when he didn't start. As long as you get the chance to play, run for the team.
You are also forgetting the "he has a crap left back" and "his divorce" and "mourinhio man management" and "he is a kid".
There comes a time when you run out of excuses and then it's time to go and I for one will not be sad to see him go along with a fair few others.

I want every player united sign to become great players for the club, but with 8 or so league games to go till the end of his 3rd season for me he just don't cut the mustard and looks like playing for one of the biggest clubs is just too much pressure and too big a stage for him.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
This is definitely about Martial.

I disagree. Jose has an issue with hiding, Martial definetely was trying to make something, it didn't come off at all that's another issue but he wasn't hiding in the second half.

Jesse and Mata were awful in that regard and hence subbed off.

Gbenger

Depends on where you set your bar. Player of the month here isn't that hard tbh. Player of the month at Real, Barca or City.....it's all about levels
If it’s that easy here, then why are out so called worthy Mourinho players not winning?
It’s not Martial fault that others are struggling to win the award.

When De Gea was wins it, he’s called world class and all that, but when Martial is winning it, it’s because player of the month is so easy to win. Poor logic.

If all our players performed as well as Martial, then we’d be way better off. I’m not saying Martial is exceptional but he has certainly done well enough to be at the top of an average bunch, not a bad one.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I disagree. Jose has an issue with hiding, Martial definetely was trying to make something, it didn't come off at all that's another issue but he wasn't hiding in the second half.

Jesse and Mata were awful in that regard and hence subbed off.
He was playing the whole game at walking pace, there was no intensity from him whatsoever. He and Mata had that one moment of quality but he looked like he didn't want to sprint or run at defenders all game, there were overlapping runners just bypassing him for fun when we didn't have the ball. He definitely was playing within himself.

Glad he seems to have pleased posters with his touch map performances but he was one of the biggest culprits for our slow play.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Player of the month awards are the most meaningless thing ever. If I'm not mistaken, Martial has more of these awards this season than Lukaku which is a joke. Martial gets credit for doing far less than anyone else (except maybe Luke Shaw). If Martial gets a goal or assist, it's guaranteed that they'll be loads on here talking about his potential to be one of the best in the world despite stinking up the place for most of the game. Mkhitaryan got shipped off for doing the exact same thing Martial does, ghost through large parts of the game and pop up with a goal or assist.

If Martial was judged by the same high standards of Pogba, Matic, Lukaku, then he would be slaughtered for every single game he plays. Pogba is expected to orchestrate the attack by himself, Matic is expected to be a 1-man midfield, Lukaku is expected to score at the same rate as Kane with half the service. Martial can do whatever he wants so long as he does a few dribbles or 1-2s, 'at least he is trying'.

Newman123

Supports
Arsenal
Send us Martial and we'll develop him to Henry levels. You guys would probably just buy him back anyway.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Send us Martial and we'll develop him to Henry levels. You guys would probably just buy him back anyway.
Martial isn't even the same type of player. He is much closer to players like Hazard or Robben.

Newman123

Supports
Arsenal
Martial isn't even the same type of player. He is much closer to players like Hazard or Robben.
Maybe, but I reckon he could do a job up front. Henry went through the same career progress of being put on the wing. Being played up front by Wenger and ending up banging in the goals.

Litch

If it’s that easy here, then why are out so called worthy Mourinho players not winning?
It’s not Martial fault that others are struggling to win the award.

When De Gea was wins it, he’s called world class and all that, but when Martial is winning it, it’s because player of the month is so easy to win. Poor logic.

If all our players performed as well as Martial, then we’d be way better off. I’m not saying Martial is exceptional but he has certainly done well enough to be at the top of an average bunch, not a bad one.
Didnt say he doesn't serve it, just it's hardly difficult given our performances. DDG is world class and the best goalkeeper in the world. The Messi and CR of goalkeepers. Is Martial? No it's not poor logic.

Like I said and I'll repeat, I don't rate Martial based on winning POM even for 3 months of them. Sorry you have just said it, being above average is now our barometer of success. Martial could leave for me cause we don't have time for the lottery of which ones turning up....sadly seen the sulky one too often.

Last edited:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Maybe, but I reckon he could do a job up front. Henry went through the same career progress of being put on the wing. Being played up front by Wenger and ending up banging in the goals.
We've already seen him play up front, and he plays nothing like Henry. Martial simply does not have the qualities to play like Henry, you can't just turn a player into an Henry. Martial without the ball is a passenger most of the time, he is statue-esque. At best he can float in the final third like a playmaker, but ask him to play on the last shoulder and he won't know what to do.

If anything Rashford is the one that can be developed into an Henry type of player, he always tried to run into space, and can occupy multiple players with his movement.

laughtersassassin

The thing is we don't have a winger who has been as good as martial this season. he has been our best and most consistent. SO he sgould be last on the list to sell. Rashford has been poor in comparison. Lingard and Mata have had their moments as well but still not as good.

djembatheking

Nothing like Hazard or Robben , more like Gabriel Obertan . I would love to see Martial come good but doubt it will happen here , he just doesn`t seem to have the desire and drive to make it happen .

el3mel

Well, if you weren't an Arsenal fan I would have questioned if you had seen Henry at all but can't do it now. :lol:

Martial is far from Henry in play style. Mbappe is closer to Henry than Martial. Martial peak will probably be like Ribery or something like that.

Newman123

Supports
Arsenal
We've already seen him play up front, and he plays nothing like Henry. Martial simply does not have the qualities to play like Henry, you can't just turn a player into an Henry. Martial without the ball is a passenger most of the time, he is statue-esque. At best he can float in the final third like a playmaker, but ask him to play on the last shoulder and he won't know what to do.

If anything Rashford is the one that can be developed into an Henry type of player, he always tried to run into space, and can occupy multiple players with his movement.
You've seen him play upfront for incompetent managers with incomplete systems. He's not gonna develop if the system is constantly changing.

Henry wasn't all about movement. He could take the ball and dribble with it too and pick out players. Martial possesses the qualities, just needs a competent manager to develop him. Man Utd needs finished articles not projects.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
You've seen him play upfront for incompetent managers with incomplete systems. He's not gonna develop if the system is constantly changing.

Henry wasn't all about movement. He could take the ball and dribble with it too and pick out players. Martial possesses the qualities, just needs a competent manager to develop him. Man Utd needs finished articles not projects.
And Arsenal is where he will get this 'competent system' :lol::lol::lol:

Have a look at the History of the player, he was managed by Jardim, and LVG. Both players that tailor their system to young players, and he was shifted to the LW by both managers!

I never said Henry was all about movement, certain players see and use space in a way that can't be coached at such an old age. Understanding and usage of space is something you learn at youth level, Martial uses space to dribble and 1-2 with other players, that is the type of player he is.

Henry was an undiscovered talent, he barely got any games at Juventus. Arsenal's scouting system saw that there was a striker in him and so they went for it. Martial has played a lot of games in a lot of different situations, we already know his playbook.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I hope the club does not allow Mourinho to drive him away. It will be another Salah/De bruyne situation and someone on the board needs to use their common sense. Give him a competent coach and trust and watch him blossom.

Mourinho has been awful with him. The kid was doing well and then the manager repays him by taking him from his best position where he was being productive, and puts Sanchez there. By doing that Mourinho eroded any trust the player had in him.

Just imagine that's you in the work place, you're doing well and your boss hires someone else and basically demotes you when you haven't given him reason to, whilst that new person does a considerably worse job. He then proceeds to shatter your confidence and throw you under the bus whenever he/she feels like. How would you feel? This is essentially what's happened here. Mourinho should not be allowed to get away with this.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I hope the club does not allow Mourinho to drive him away. It will be another Salah/De bruyne situation and someone on the board needs to use their common sense. Give him a competent coach and trust and watch him blossom.

Mourinho has been awful with him. The kid was doing well and then the manager repays him by taking him from his best position where he was being productive, and puts Sanchez there. By doing that Mourinho eroded any trust the player had in him.

Just imagine that's you in the work place, you're doing well and your boss hires someone else and basically demotes you when you haven't given him reason to, whilst that new person does a considerably worse job. He then proceeds to shatter your confidence and throw you under the bus whenever he/she feels like. How would you feel? This is essentially what's happened here. Mourinho should not be allowed to get away with this.
If my boss hired a new guy, renowned for his work and seen as one of the best in the industry, I'd be extremely motivated to become better.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but your place of work is not there to cater to your wants and desires. If my boss isn't trying to improve the average level of his employees then I'd be concerned.

Litch

If my boss hired a new guy, renowned for his work and seen as one of the best in the industry, I'd be extremely motivated to become better.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but your place of work is not there to cater to your wants and desires. If my boss isn't trying to improve the average level of his employees then I'd be concerned.
Amen.

redflair

Being decisive and comitted are different things.
Everyone wants a player to be decisive in their position, weather that be a defender/midfielder or attacker.
I want Martial to be comitted weather he is going forward or tracking a full back, not just going forward.
You have seen/watched the United team in the 90s/00s and I can't think of any other players that did not work hard and bust a gut for us and show 100% comitment.
If you want to see a skilful, hard working winger/attacker then look no further than giggs, but you already know that as you have seen him which makes it even more bizzare that you don't expect the same from martial.
Nothing bizarre about it. It's clear you want Martial out of the club, which is fine. I just think he's a hugely talented player that will flourish in the right system.

But taking your point further, I think you'll probably get your way and there'll be massive changes in the summer, including the possible selling of Martial.

I think it'd be mistake, not an uncontroversial view on this forum, but each to their own.

Jazz

He was not better than Martial, nor will he ever reach the heights that Martial can, and will do (in another team more likely). I don't know what people have been watching, but I personally never thought Sanchez was world class - for me that was hype, so I disagree about him being one of the best in the industry.

Also, in case you hadn't realised, no matter what Martial does, Mourinho will still play someone else there if they're available.

In any case, I completely disagree with you applying your scenario to this situation. Jose doesn't do anything on merit as we've seen with Shaw and Young.

You will realise the harsh truth sooner rather than later with Mourinho's ways.

Jazz

Nothing bizarre about it. It's clear you want Martial out of the club, which is fine. I just think he's a hugely talented player that will flourish in the right system.

But taking your point further, I think you'll probably get your way and there'll be massive changes in the summer, including the possible selling of Martial.

I think it'd be mistake, not an uncontroversial view on this forum, but each to their own.
I sincerely hope this does not happen. It is a big mistake, I'm certain of it.

spiriticon

I agree that selling Martial would be a big mistake.

The guy blows hot and cold with his form more often than a hairdryer and so frustrating, but he is still so raw and that is completely expected of someone his age. He is a great attacking talent and there's more to come from him.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He was not better than Martial, nor will he ever reach the heights that Martial can, and will do (in another team more likely).
First this...

In any case, I completely disagree with you applying your scenario to this situation. Jose doesn't do anything on merit as we've seen with Shaw and Young.
Then this...:lol::lol::lol:

It's quite obvious you don't give a donkey's about merit, and more about 'potential'. Basically you fancy United to be an academy rather than a football club. Wrap young players in cotton wool and hope they turn into world beaters, when did we turn into Southampton?

Ashley Young and Alexis Sanchez have put on performances that Shaw and Martial could only dream of, and I want Ashley young replaced next season!

Jazz

First this...

Then this...:lol::lol::lol:

It's quite obvious you don't give a donkey's about merit, and more about 'potential'. Basically you fancy United to be an academy rather than a football club. Wrap young players in cotton wool and hope they turn into world beaters, when did we turn into Southampton?

Ashley Young and Alexis Sanchez have put on performances that Shaw and Martial could only dream of, and I want Ashley young replaced next season!
I respectfully disagree with you. Nothing you say will convince me otherwise. Thanks for the conversation.

el3mel

Oh look. You built your post on the fact Mourinho wants him out, then goes on and build the whole post on this fact that actually has no legs and changes to a conflict between Mourinho and Ed on Martial situation.. We see lots of these posts these days.

Jazz

Oh look. You built your post on the fact Mourinho wants him out, then goes on and build the whole post on this fact that actually has no legs and changes to a conflict between Mourinho and Ed on Martial situation.. We see lots of these posts these days.
What you mean has no legs? Have you not seen the way Mourinho has behaved with him ever since he rocked up to the club? He name checked fecking Felaini as the 'fans will have to learn to love him' crap, but giving Martial any credit is liking pulling teeth for Mourinho.

You can carry on believing this manager's judgment is any good. Good luck with that.

redflair

I sincerely hope this does not happen. It is a big mistake, I'm certain of it.
Totally agree - and look at the way Jose cleverly 'sets up' fans so they start turning on a player (or players) for non-commitment and lack of desire. The comments here from last night's performance are full of them.

I sense huge changes this summer - and Jose is priming us for these changes. Some of our so-called 'favourites' will be in the firing line, Martial, maybe Pogba and a few others. At times, our manager is easy to read. When he lays into players for supposed 'lack of desire and personality' etc...there's only one way said players can go - and that's out of Old Trafford.

Jazz

Totally agree - and look at the way Jose cleverly 'sets up' fans so they start turning on a player (or players) for non-commitment and lack of desire. The comments here from last night's performance are full of them.

I sense huge changes this summer - and Jose is priming us for these changes. Some of our so-called 'favourites' will be in the firing line, Martial, maybe Pogba and a few others. At times, our manager is easy to read. When he lays into players for supposed 'lack of desire and personality' etc...there's only one way said players can go - and that's out of Old Trafford.
Exactly this. I cannot believe people are falling for this. Jose is a manipulator, but you would think people would see through this? It's so obvious what he's trying to do.
We'll be left with uncreative old players if Jose gets his way. Those types are not winning the PL. I hope his supporters enjoy that spectacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.