6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

haram

Name an attacking player up to January who was having a better season at United?
So he earns something for that? Is that the standards? Look at what Lukaku is doing. That's something I care about. I'm done with this.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So he earns something for that? Is that the standards? Look at what Lukaku is doing. That's something I care about. I'm done with this.
He earned his spot in the side up to that point, which was the point the poster was making. Obviously the best player who was playing well to win player of the month has earned his spot in the side for the next few fixtures (or at least thats how it should be)

Its great what Lukaku is doing, but funny how he didn't lose his place in the side, when he was stinking the place out, oh and as if by magic, he played himself back into form!

EDIT: I don't think anyone is saying anything unreasonable too, it just seems you want to create higher obstacles for the player or you don't want to acknowledge that the player was in good form and that was derailed by him losing his place in the side, through no fault of his own.

Now its up to him to win it back, fair enough, but to say he didn't earn his spot is ridiculous.

prath92

Name a better player than him in our attack that month or all those other months he won the award. I mean are you trying to imply that his good form during those months were just nonsense and fanboys talks ?
:lol: sometimes people try too hard to be different. He gets votes when he plays well and gets goals/assists which he has quite a few of this season compared to his teammates.
Plenty criticise him when he doens't play well too.
For instance in January martial played well but if you go by the stats Pogba had a much better month. Contributed 4 goals (0+4) to martial’s 5(3+2) and created 15 chances to martial’s 7. Yet martial won 50% of votes. I don’t really care because it’s not a very important award but it’s definitely a little fishy has to be said

Santoryo

ripping the reward
For instance in January martial played well but if you go by the stats Pogba had a much better month. Contributed 4 goals (0+4) to martial’s 5(3+2) and created 15 chances to martial’s 7. Yet martial won 50% of votes. I don’t really care because it’s not a very important award but it’s definitely a little fishy has to be said
You just showed through stats that Martial had a better month than Pogba although marginally yet you go on to mention that Pogba had a much better month than Martial.

If anything your credibility regarding Martial should be what questioned given you're showing some bias against the guy.

Anyways this won't be worth it given the tangents you're already attempting to be on. So I'll just leave it at that. Believe what you must, we don't have to agree on this.

SuperiorXI

If we sell this guy on the cheap I'm going to be fecking pissed, he is insanely talented and we should do everything to make him better, he has been treated like shit under Mourinho.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If we sell this guy on the cheap I'm going to be fecking pissed, he is insanely talented and we should do everything to make him better, he has been treated like shit under Mourinho.
If he's sold (and I hope we are really not thinking of doing that) then it wouldn't be on the cheap. It would either be for a huge price or in part-exchange for an otherwise unattainable player.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

:lol: sometimes people try too hard to be different.
Yes, contrariness is an actual psychological phenomenon. Yet we do always need dissenting voices lest we forget our Orwell.

I met the lead singer of The Delgados (great indie band if that’s your bag) one evening in Hammersmith after their concert and he kept telling me that The Beatles were the most overrated band in history. He was quite tired and emotional and their bass player had to calm things down as I was quite vocal with my incredulity (the bass player was a marvellous gentleman, it must be said, and we continued drinking long into the evening discussing Dundee United and the Tour de France).

The point is we must take the insane beliefs to ensure these dissenting voices always remain. It’s just part of balancing the ride...

prath92

You just showed through stats that Martial had a better month than Pogba although marginally yet you go on to mention that Pogba had a much better month than Martial.

If anything your credibility regarding Martial should be what questioned given you're showing some bias against the guy.

Anyways this won't be worth it given the tangents you're already attempting to be on. So I'll just leave it at that. Believe what you must, we don't have to agree on this.
:lol: Pogba created double the chances while contributing to almost as many goals. Would say that he had a better month yes.

Hawks2008

Would be a huge mistake to sell him, him and Rashford are our stars of the future and letting either of them go is a sackable offence. But this is Mourinho, he would gladly sell our long term future down the river so long as it means some short term success to feed his ego.

Cassidy

:lol: Pogba created double the chances while contributing to almost as many goals. Would say that he had a better month yes.
Considering he is the playmaker and Martial is mostly a goalscorer.... Pogba didn't score any goals his focus was creating, Martials focus was clearly both so he scored more and created less. Its certainly not a much better month for Pogba even if you want to argue it was better (even that is subjective). I can see a case to be made for both to win that month, personally on those stats I would go with Martial since I don't rate chances created stats that highly. Also most fans watching the game would go by the outputs and wouldn't be looking up chances created stats to vote for player of the month.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Which just goes to show that there's a lot more to look into then just stats. People are way too obsessed with it and cant just watch players objectively without bringing up chances created or whatever. Pogba in January had a very good game against Everton and Stoke, but was awful against Burnley. In the FA Cup game vs derby, pogba started but we didn't really kick into gear until Martial got subbed on and then we scored twice in a 2-0 win. Against Spurs, pogba was brutally bad while the rest were just normal bad. So yeah. 2 good performances in a month with 6 games.

Brophs

The One and Only
I always felt when Mourinho arrived that there was a very good chance Martial would end up losing out. I’m not sure he’s his sort of player. That said, I also think Martial could have done a lot more over the couple of seasons. His attitude leaves a lot to be desired, from what I’ve seen (which, tbf, Ranieri flagged immediately after he signed).

I can see a logic in us moving him on. Mourinho is unlikely to ever make him a starter every week. He has already, arguably, bought his replacement. He is, I would assume, going to be reticent about signing a new deal to be a sub. There’s really no point in forcing a manager to work with a player he doesn’t really trust, on the basis that he’ll likely be more valued by the next manager, or because you’re terrified he’ll go on to be top class for someone else (which I think he would).

For all that, though, I really hope he can somehow turn it around. He’s a fantastic player. He has the potential to be one of the best players in the world IMHO. It’d be a real shame to have to see that potential being fulfilled elsewhere.

Cassidy

Which just goes to show that there's a lot more to look into then just stats. People are way too obsessed with it and cant just watch players objectively without bringing up chances created or whatever. Pogba in January had a very good game against Everton and Stoke, but was awful against Burnley. In the FA Cup game vs derby, pogba started but we didn't really kick into gear until Martial got subbed on and then we scored twice in a 2-0 win. Against Spurs, pogba was brutally bad while the rest were just normal bad. So yeah. 2 good performances in a month with 6 games.
Certainly better to watch games than look at stats

Gbenger

I always felt when Mourinho arrived that there was a very good chance Martial would end up losing out. I’m not sure he’s his sort of player. That said, I also think Martial could have done a lot more over the couple of seasons. His attitude leaves a lot to be desired, from what I’ve seen (which, tbf, Ranieri flagged immediately after he signed).

I can see a logic in us moving him on. Mourinho is unlikely to ever make him a starter every week. He has already, arguably, bought his replacement. He is, I would assume, going to be reticent about signing a new deal to be a sub. There’s really no point in forcing a manager to work with a player he doesn’t really trust, on the basis that he’ll likely be more valued by the next manager, or because you’re terrified he’ll go on to be top class for someone else (which I think he would).

For all that, though, I really hope he can somehow turn it around. He’s a fantastic player. He has the potential to be one of the best players in the world IMHO. It’d be a real shame to have to see that potential being fulfilled elsewhere.
My feelings exactly.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Stats also mask poor performances from Martial during that spell. He seemed to mainly player of the month on the basis of scoring some eye-catching goals but those goals came in games full of his usual flaws. Poor movement, sloppy passing and bad decisions. I actually think the last time he looked like a really top player was early on in the season, when he made some excellent cameos off the bench. Since he became a regular starter he’s been much less impressive, despite scoring a few nice goals and ongoing hyperbole from his fans.

Man Utd 0:1 West Brom

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He plays at walking pace, zero intensity. I honestly don't care if he leaves.

Embarrassing to see some of the posts with stats comparing him to Ronaldo, as if Ronaldo ever gave an uninterested performance anything like that on his worst days. Looks like he doesn't care.

Milkman007

He had one bad moment when he stood on his feet waiting for the ball, other than that he played some good passes to the middle and had a ynice cross to lukaku. once young went off he was basically the only one on the left side, almost played more as an lb then a winger.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He plays at walking pace, zero intensity. I honestly don't care if he leaves.

Embarrassing to see some of the posts with stats comparing him to Ronaldo, as if Ronaldo ever gave an uninterested performance anything like that on his worst days. Looks like he doesn't care.
Why should he care when he gets dropped from a side which plays like that without him. Owes nothing to this manager tbh.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I'm a big critic, but he was decent when he came on today. There were other problems, bigger ones.

Silas

Thought he was better than the rest of our attackers tbh. Could actually pass forward without losing the ball.

Shejkus

You guys are so funny blaming Martial when he could of scored if the local lad Lindgard released the ball properly. You expect so much from a guy that's been sitting on the bench for 4-6 consecutive games and he is still a sub you should criticize the starting players. He can at least pass the ball forward in tight spaces. He is thinking of every move he does and that is due to Joses treatment of him. He was free outside of the box loads of times but he didn't get the ball due to our players not willing to risk it instead they take the safe option which leads to NOTHING.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Why should he care when he gets dropped from a side which plays like that without him. Owes nothing to this manager tbh.
Feck me, even if he had Juventus on his mind I'd hope for a more interested performance that what we just saw.

If he's deliberately playing like that for that reason then I think that would be even worse for me. Even guys like Ashley Young and Fellaini have a better mentality than that.

Ashish Negi

He was far better then our other attackers, couple of time he was on goal scoring position but ball was not release by other players. In later half once Rashford came in he was asked to stay wide.

JoaquinJoaquin

Let's be honest, if you were the club would you really be happy to give this guy a bumper new deal with a much higher wage when he rarely delivers on the pitch and constantly sulks?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Nobody did anything. Just like nobody ever does anything unless there's a little lucky break which is usually down to a mistake rather then something we create on our own. People keep blaming players here and there about not making a big impact or slow football, but until people realize that it's all on Mourinho, then nothing will change. We can sign anyone and the same shit would happen (just like how nothing changed with Sanchez coming in).

Status
Not open for further replies.