g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Anthony Martial image 9

Anthony Martial France flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kapardin

Sanchez is a better player than Martial. You are talking about his form, thats different. The fact is Rashford and Martial will not be ahead of Sanchez at LW. they either play on the right or are back ups.
Sanchez is not better than Martial for us. Really don't give a feck what he did for Arsenal. He hasn't exactly stepped in for us and tore it up like Neymar joining PSG and scoring boatloads.

The fact is, Martial should be ahead of Sanchez on the left and Sanchez should be on the right. But you are right, our manager is too stubborn.

haram

Sanchez is not better than Martial for us. Really don't give a feck what he did for Arsenal. He hasn't exactly stepped in for us and tore it up like Neymar joining PSG and scoring boatloads.

The fact is, Martial should be ahead of Sanchez on the left and Sanchez should be on the right. But you are right, our manager is too stubborn.
Well there we go then, that's the problem here. He is the better player, I'm sorry. That's just the way it goes.

El Zoido

The only attacking player that has delivered in virtually every game this season is Lukaku and even he had been criticised by the fans for a barren spell. We brought in Sanchez and he's been the same as Lingard, Rashford, Martial... probably even worse form wise until he produced yesterday.

There comes a point where the players need to stop being blamed and the attention be on the coaching and attacking tactics. Will it come after we spend £100M, £200M or £300M more?
I agree, I’m a huge fan of Martial. I’m looking at it from Jose’s perspective and what he’s looking to achieve each game.

Kapardin

Well there we go then, that's the problem here. He is the better player, I'm sorry. That's just the way it goes.
In your opinion. Even his exploits with Arsenal don't put him in the same bracket as the likes of Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo who are among the only players we can keep playing ahead of others even when they are not in form.

Martial can offer more years and can develop into a top player. Ergo, manager's fault and the biggest feck up since KDB if he is sold.

haram

In your opinion. Even his exploits with Arsenal don't put him in the same bracket as the likes of Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo who are among the only players we can keep playing ahead of others even when they are not in form.

Martial can offer more years and can develop into a top player. Ergo, manager's fault and the biggest feck up since KDB if he is sold.
Sanchez doesn't need to be in Neymar's bracket to be ahead of Martial in the pecking order. Martial has his own French team mates to worry about in terms of talent bracket.

No doubt Martial will be a good player elsewhere if he leaves. He is very talented.

shield

I never get the impression that Mourinho has much patience with Martial. Always looks like Martial has to be at his absolute best to be a part of the team. Meanwhile, Sanchez, Pogba, Lukaku, Zlatan (last year) are afforded some leeway.

If he stays for another season, then things might improve because we might have a more stable team, and possible even a threat from the right, and so the creative load on him won't be that much. However, I won't blame him if leaves. He did raise his level to start playing well in January, and was rewarded by being benched and moved around and ultimately replaced for an option who has yet to give a convincing performance.

Kapardin

Sanchez doesn't need to be in Neymar's bracket to be ahead of Martial in the pecking order. Martial has his own French team mates to worry about in terms of talent bracket.

No doubt Martial will be a good player elsewhere if he leaves. He is very talented.
For us, he has to be considering he did absolutely feck all and looked worse than Mata or Rashford till the Swansea game which in itself is no marker. He is as overrated as Martial to an extent. Does have the Rooneyesque bulldog mentality and workrate though.

Regarding the second point, well, atleast we agree on that.

ash_86

I'd bet Mourinho wouldn't lose a day's sleep over it. Sometimes it doesn't work out with players for managers. Pep came in and threw out Joe Hart immediately who has won a couple of PL titles and Club captain when Kompany was not playing. Yes, it's unfortunate that Martial doesn't fit the job description of the manager, but this happens in almost any club.

Kapardin

I'd bet Mourinho wouldn't lose a day's sleep over it. Sometimes it doesn't work out with players for managers. Pep came in and threw out Joe Hart immediately who has won a couple of PL titles and Club captain when Kompany was not playing. Yes, it's unfortunate that Martial doesn't fit the job description of the manager, but this happens in almost any club.
Yep, true. I hope Ed steps in though, he seems to value Martial. It is quite unfortunate that it is Martial and not say, Rashford, who might atleast be expendable.

haram

For us, he has to be considering he did absolutely feck all and looked worse than Mata or Rashford till the Swansea game which in itself is no marker. He is as overrated as Martial to an extent. Does have the Rooneyesque bulldog mentality and workrate though.

Regarding the second point, well, atleast we agree on that.
You are just being very impatient in regards to Sanchez. Once he hits top form everyone will be his biggest fan.

gajender

My major issue with Martial sale if it happens however we spin it is we would most probably need to invest heavily for our left side in foreseeable future because I don't see Rashford developing into an elite attacker there but for our sake I hope he does otherwise Martial sale could prove quite costly for us in the long run.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Poch trusts Alli to work through a poor patch.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Poch trusts Alli to work through a poor patch.
Who is the competition for that spot though? Lamela? Sissoko? Lucas? Nothing special basically. Martial essentially competes with all of rashford, mata, lingard and Sanchez. Most of them are somewhat versatile so depending on form, people get moved around. Martial loses form, he'll start rashford. Both of them off form, then sanchez, lingard and mata start. And so on. Until Martial or Rashford show consistent form, they'll keep on getting rotated as is standard for young players. Martial was getting consistent starts when he was in his very good form in december and January, but then lost form.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Who is the competition for that spot though? Lamela? Sissoko? Lucas? Nothing special basically. Martial essentially competes with all of rashford, mata, lingard and Sanchez. Most of them are somewhat versatile so depending on form, people get moved around. Martial loses form, he'll start rashford. Both of them off form, then sanchez, lingard and mata start. And so on. Until Martial or Rashford show consistent form, they'll keep on getting rotated as is standard for young players. Martial was getting consistent starts when he was in his very good form in december and January, but then lost form.
Actually he lost his position in the team before he lost form

redIndianDevil

Joe Hart is utter crap though. Guardiola would be the biggest idiot if he had retained Hart just because he won couple of titles with City. Martial is not utter crap though.

redIndianDevil

Yep, true. I hope Ed steps in though, he seems to value Martial. It is quite unfortunate that it is Martial and not say, Rashford, who might atleast be expendable.
I hope Woodward doesn't intervene, it's given that Mourinho is going to continue next season, so I hope he gets all the transfer targets he needs. Because I cannot bear another season of Mourinho moaning that he is not supported and his fanboys regurgitating the same tired excuses he spouts to defend him.

redIndianDevil

My major issue with Martial sale if it happens however we spin it is we would most probably need to invest heavily for our left side in foreseeable future because I don't see Rashford developing into an elite attacker there but for our sake I hope he does otherwise Martial sale could prove quite costly for us in the long run.
This. I don't think Rashford is going to develop into a top tier player too(especially under Mourinho and with Sanchez in he is going to struggle a lot for minutes as Sanchez hates getting subbed off), he gets by with the odd stunning goals, but his technique is too lacking for me. He is a typical English player IMO, all pace and no brains.

bosnian_red

Actually he lost his position in the team before he lost form
Yeah he got moved from left wing to right wing but he still started vs Spurs, got rotated vs Huddersfield which was normal then because of Sanchez just signing and a build up of fixtures. Started against Newcastle where he missed a couple of sitters (but was otherwise decent IMO), and after that loss basically lost his spot. Started vs Chelsea 2 weeks later, had a great first half but really bad second until getting subbed, then I'm pretty sure he picked up a knock? It's been pretty standard. He was playing consistently for a while, had a couple of a bad performances and that's all it takes when you have competition like we do. Now has to work himself back in from the bench like he was doing at the start of the season and like how Rashford did the last few games before starting vs Liverpool. Or how Lingard did vs Chelsea.

ash_86

Joe Hart is utter crap though. Guardiola would be the biggest idiot if he had retained Hart just because he won couple of titles with City. Martial is not utter crap though.
Joe hart was not sold cause he was crap, he was sold cause he didn't fit manager's style of play. Similar situation to Martial.

bosnian_red

Also - there's no indication that Mourinho or the club want to sell martial. If anything, all the talks are that we want to keep him. Martial himself might want to leave for a bigger role or a system that suits him more, which would be fair enough and really suck for us, but at the same time, you can't just hand someone a starting spot because they make a fuss. We have a lot of options who all basically perform at the same level in terms of consistency. All have big games, then ineffective games. You don't just start Martial because he has big potential, he has to earn it like everyone else, because Rashford and others also have big potential and are basically in the same position.

NK86

That's how I see it too. Sanchez will be 30 next season and we can expect maybe a couple of more top seasons from him. Losing Martial would mean we have to invest heavily again on the LW position. If we are getting Bale, then we will be fecked up in 2 years or even before as we will need both the LW and RW upgrading. Jose will be gone by then and we will be left thinking what kind of fecking mess have we been left with. Very soon we will hear cries from the same people who want Martial sold how our new manager needs to spend another gazillion pounds as the team isn't good enough.

bosnian_red

Joe hart was not sold cause he was crap, he was sold cause he didn't fit manager's style of play. Similar situation to Martial.
Partially because he was crap but yeah a bit part because he was awful with the ball at his feet. Martial isn't really the same case though, is it? Martial when on form fits our system perfectly. He's young though so is inconsistent. Would other systems suit him better? Probably, yeah... Doesn't mean Mourinho doesn't want him though (especially considering he starts him in most big games and is always in and around the starting 11 or gets subbed on).

ash_86

I cannot see this happening because Rashford is the face of the club. English, homegrown and starts for England most often. Already Mou gets questioned week in week out for not starting him. Manager might as well write his own suicide note if he sells him.

NK86

Also - there's no indication that Mourinho or the club want to sell martial. If anything, all the talks are that we want to keep him. Martial himself might want to leave for a bigger role or a system that suits him more, which would be fair enough and really suck for us, but at the same time, you can't just hand someone a starting spot because they make a fuss. We have a lot of options who all basically perform at the same level in terms of consistency. All have big games, then ineffective games. You don't just start Martial because he has big potential, he has to earn it like everyone else, because Rashford and others also have big potential and are basically in the same position.
Martial has better stats than anyone bar Lukaku this season. He has performed better in scoring and assisting than both Rashford and Lingard while playing less minutes. So yeah, it makes little sense to not give him more opportunities than them as he has performed better than them. But his playing minutes show otherwise. How do you explain that?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
No chance. In fact it is probably because of Rashford that any decision (if any) to sell Martial will be made easier as we've got contract discussions with Rashford to go next year and he is already the outfield player with the most appearances this season and when a sub he is often the first attacker on.

ash_86

Partially because he was crap but yeah a bit part because he was awful with the ball at his feet. Martial isn't really the same case though, is it? Martial when on form fits our system perfectly. He's young though so is inconsistent. Would other systems suit him better? Probably, yeah... Doesn't mean Mourinho doesn't want him though (especially considering he starts him in most big games and is always in and around the starting 11 or gets subbed on).
The problem for Martial is that the position he plays in where we're stacked. Rash cannot be sold since he's English, homegrown and in England squad. If Martial or Sanchez is a natural RW, we will not be having this conversation. As talented as Martial is , i see him more expendable than the other two unfortunately. Personally i want Martial not to be sold.

Greck

I cannot see this happening because Rashford is the face of the club. English, homegrown and starts for England most often. Already Mou gets questioned week in week out for not starting him. Manager might as well write his own suicide note if he sells him.
No he's not. This thread has some weird takes, especially the baseless fear mongering that Martial might be on his way out. Will be surprised if the board allows Martial walk

bosnian_red

Martial has better stats than anyone bar Lukaku this season. He has performed better in scoring and assisting than both Rashford and Lingard while playing less minutes. So yeah, it makes little sense to not give him more opportunities than them as he has performed better than them. But his playing minutes show otherwise. How do you explain that?
Martial was incredibly productive in the first few months of the season, and forced himself in the starting 11. Him and Rashford were rotating starts for the first 2-3 months basically as they were both in very good form, while Lingard hardly featured. Martial eventually made the spot his own and was starting pretty much every meaningful game with the rare rest (but still getting subbed on) in less meaningful games between the start of November and the end of January. Problem is he then lost form and since his goal in the 1-0 Burnley win, he hasn't scored and has had just the 1 assist (vs Chelsea, a game where his second half 15 minutes were really bad so got subbed). He lost form, so lost his spot. Standard.

Rashford in that prolonged spell that Martial was starting basically every game ended up losing his form and barely featured until about a month ago. Start of the season he was very good, lost form, lost his spot, then had bad sub appearances then he got a bigger rest. Normal behavior with a young player.

Lingard had just 5 starts before the Watford game on November 28th. 2 in the league cup, 1 in the league, 2 in the CL (one where he got subbed off at half, the 2nd being the last game which was a dead rubber). He barely played, but then had a few brilliant performances vs Watford and Arsenal and transformed as a player. Worked his way into the side, and played consistently well. Lost a bit of form a couple of times but then had big impacts from the bench (like vs Chelsea) to get right back into the 11. So again, pretty standard in terms of how Mourinho dealt with him.

It's not a black and white situation like "this player has a better goal/assist per 90m ratio then the other one, therefore he should start more. It's a long season, things change. I'm not a big fan of Mourinho but he's dealt with Rashford, Martial and Lingard pretty normally. The only one who can feel hard done by IMO is Mata probably because he always gets dropped in big games, and even then he still plays loads and had recent big game starts vs Sevilla and Liverpool.

redIndianDevil

Umm no he is crap and that's why he was sold. He cannot even hack it as a shot stopper at a relegation threatened club. And it has been proven again and again at Torino and West Ham.

bosnian_red

The problem for Martial is that the position he plays in where we're stacked. Rash cannot be sold since he's English, homegrown and in England squad. If Martial or Sanchez is a natural RW, we will not be having this conversation. As talented as Martial is , i see him more expendable than the other two unfortunately. Personally i want Martial not to be sold.
That's why there is a possibility that he leaves, but I won't see it like the club wanting to sell him. All indications point towards the club wanting him to stay and Mourinho wanting to keep him, but it might be a situation where martial wants more consistent game time and that's something that we can't guarantee because of the competition he has. He has to make the position his own long term with his own performances for longer then just a few months. Everyone is allowed off games, and martial didn't get dropped because of one off game. He was in great form, lost form and had a few ineffective performances and then somebody else got a start. If he wants an automatic spot somewhere or maybe just thinks he can be a better player, then fair enough. I hope the club resists and can manage to convince him to stay in that situation, but with us having good options there anyway, it wouldn't be a disaster for us. He'll probably turn into a brilliant player wherever he goes or if he stays here, but it's a case of hoping he's patient and happy at United to want to become that here.

ash_86

No he's not. This thread has some weird takes, especially the baseless fear mongering that Martial might be on his way out. Will be surprised if the board allows Martial walk
Weather you believe it or not board will not sell Rashford. He represents next generation of Manchester United. If board receives £60m offer from any club for Martial, they would consider selling him.

haram

Whether you think Martial is a better player than Rashford or not, you surely understand why Martial is the more likely one to be sold. Manchester United cannot sell one of the most talented young English footballers around.

bosnian_red

Weather you believe it or not board will not sell Rashford. He represents next generation of Manchester United. If board receives £60m offer from any club for Martial, they would consider selling him.
It would take a lot more then 60m for the club to sell Martial. Of course Martial isn't dispensable to the extent that Rashford is. Rashford has come through the youth system and has had multiple big game performances and is English. Doesn't mean that they won't want to keep hold of Martial. If we receive a big offer for him though, and he wants to leave, then he'll likely go. It's not a case of us actively looking to sell him though. Everyone has their price, the only difference is Martial's is closer to being a realistic price relative to his ability compared to Rashford's. Any normal situation, Martial would be worth more, but because Rashford grew up at United and is English, then he is worth more to us.

ash_86

Umm no he is crap and that's why he was sold. He cannot even hack it as a shot stopper at a relegation threatened club. And it has been proven again and again at Torino and West Ham.
A player who has worked under two different managers and won PL title with both of them. He may not been DDG level, but hew as doing a fine job for them. His replacement was Bravo, who probably was in the same level. Shows that the replacement was brought in for the style pep wanted to play.

bosnian_red

Whether you think Martial is a better player than Rashford or not, you surely understand why Martial is the more likely one to be sold. Manchester United cannot sell one of the most talented young English footballers around.
Yep, people can prefer one to the other, fine. If both were French and both from the same youth team and being sold somewhere else, it's likely Martial would go for more as he's more developed. But that's not the case, since Rashford grew up at United. It's not even that he's one of the most talented young english footballers... it's being from United's youth team. I doubt we'd sell him for 100m despite him obviously not being worth that.

redIndianDevil

That's why there is a possibility that he leaves, but I won't see it like the club wanting to sell him. All indications point towards the club wanting him to stay and Mourinho wanting to keep him, but it might be a situation where martial wants more consistent game time and that's something that we can't guarantee because of the competition he has. He has to make the position his own long term with his own performances for longer then just a few months. Everyone is allowed off games, and martial didn't get dropped because of one off game. He was in great form, lost form and had a few ineffective performances and then somebody else got a start. If he wants an automatic spot somewhere or maybe just thinks he can be a better player, then fair enough. I hope the club resists and can manage to convince him to stay in that situation, but with us having good options there anyway, it wouldn't be a disaster for us. He'll probably turn into a brilliant player wherever he goes or if he stays here, but it's a case of hoping he's patient and happy at United to want to become that here.
Didn't he win the player of the month and then got dropped once Sanchez came in?

haram

Yep, people can prefer one to the other, fine. If both were French and both from the same youth team and being sold somewhere else, it's likely Martial would go for more as he's more developed. But that's not the case, since Rashford grew up at United. It's not even that he's one of the most talented young english footballers... it's being from United's youth team. I doubt we'd sell him for 100m despite him obviously not being worth that.
Yeah, it's unfortunate that they both play on the same side.

Greck

Didn't say the board would sell Rash. Said he definitely isn't the face of the club.

On the bolded, that's purely your opinion because it isn't based on anything in reality. We know they didn't let him get exchanged for Perisic or Sanchez. Jose isn't part of the board

redIndianDevil

A player who has worked under two different managers and won PL title with both of them. He may not been DDG level, but hew as doing a fine job for them. His replacement was Bravo, who probably was in the same level. Shows that the replacement was brought in for the style pep wanted to play.
So why is he not even capable of playing for West Ham?

Status
Not open for further replies.