Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He'll realise he has to improve his work rate, movement and all round game. If he does there's 4 positions where he can realistically get time to prove himself.
There seems to be a mindset on here that its not down to Martial but the manager. If Martial gives the manager what he wants he'll play. It's not a huge ask for him to work on his movement at all.
I agree he should work on his movement, I can't shake the feeling he isn't actually happy playing LW in the first place.

Smores

I agree, a player who was the best attacking player at the time in the team in terms of goals and assists, lost his place to the new big name signing. He also hasn;t been able to win a regular spot under Jose. As a player seeing 3 big attacking signings come in, actually 4.

He lost his no9 and striker position to Ibra (I think people forget this is his preferred position)
We signed Lukaku - hope of winning the striker spot further impacted
We signed Sanchez - lost his place at LW whilst it looked like he was in good form

If we add to the above singing another top player like Bale, Jose would likely have to be giving Martial some assurances of his value to the team.
Of course I am speculating, but it seems to me Martial will have every reason to want to evaluate his options given all of the above and the fact is seems he doesn't seem to have the full trust of the manager.
He's 22, do you really think he's so arrogant that he doesn't expect to have to challenge for his spot?

For me looking at how teams setup he'd be on the bench for City, Spurs and Liverpool. He wouldn't start for the likes of Bayern, Barca, PSG, Madrid. He may at some point feel he needs regular games but he'd be dropping down to do so.

United players have always known there spot is at risk with new signings.

Cassidy

He's 22, do you really think he's so arrogant that he doesn't expect to have to challenge for his spot?

Where have I said he should't have to challenge?
He lost his place to those coming in without there being any challenge is the point I was bringing up.
For instance are you seriously going to make out that Sanchez on performances has been better than Martial at LW for United?

Or during Lukakus spell of 20 games and 4 goals did Martial stand a chance of getting a look in as the striker? This also relates to Ibra last season and his baron spell.

My point is he will question whether he can get a fair shot, which he is well within his rights to do, and I feel Jose will have to give some assurances as most of the actions can look to a player like a lack of trust from the manager.

Also factor in that Rashford may get prioritised.

Also that is not me saying that he himself doesn't have to pull his socks up, but its a 2 way thing lets not kid ourselves.

Your point about United players always knowing their position is at risk, well they also knew that new signings don't automatically take their spot even when they are not performing. Which can't really be said to be the case with Martial

Laurentiu amt

It wouldn;t bother me to see him go to another club as long as we use the money to finance another position on the field.

He's been here for 2-3 seasons and still cant make a spot his own. He's brilliant at times but that's only for 35-45% of a game, at best.

Smores

Where have I said he should't have to challenge?
He lost his place to those coming in without there being any challenge is the point I was bringing up.
For instance are you seriously going to make out that Sanchez on performances has been better than Martial at LW for United?

Or during Lukakus spell of 20 games and 4 goals did Martial stand a chance of getting a look in as the striker?

My point is he will question whether he can get a fair shot, which he is well within his rights to do, and I feel Jose will have to give some assurances as most of the actions can look to a player like a lack of trust from the manager.

Also factor in that Rashford may get prioritised.

Also that is not me saying that he himself doesn't have to pull his socks up, but its a 2 way thing lets not kid ourselves.
In all cases, the players proven records at other clubs won them their place. Nothing really wrong with that. Martial im sure is well aware of Sanchez skill and reputation.

I'd agree he should have been given the odd game up front this season but personally I'd see that team sheet and think it was a huge risk.

Cassidy

In all cases, the players proven records at other clubs won them their place. Nothing really wrong with that. Martial im sure is well aware of Sanchez skill and reputation.

I'd agree he should have been given the odd game up front this season but personally I'd see that team sheet and think it was a huge risk.
In all cases the players went through periods of poor form (worse than any period Martial has ever been afforded) yet kept their place in the side. In the case of Ibra and Lukaku Jose even refused to sub them.

I assume Jose would too, which is why I said the player would likely evaluate the managers trust in him.

prath92

I agree he should work on his movement, I can't shake the feeling he isn't actually happy playing LW in the first place.
He isn’t going to play as a striker in any team. Not for us or for juve (they have dybala and higuain) or for France (mbappe giroud lacazette et al). He is better off playing the LW role

Oldyella

Sanchez had not been great this season for Arsenal either. It's one thing to be fighting for a spot with Rashford, but they pretty much both got dumped for the new toy when it arrived. I wouldnt be too happy about that if I were either of them.

Cassidy

He isn’t going to play as a striker in any team. Not for us or for juve (they have dybala and higuain) or for France (mbappe giroud lacazette et al). He is better off playing the LW role
Depends tbh, I actually think he is a better striker than a LW myself, but I don't have a preference. Also of course he could play as a striker for others sides, Juve isn't the only side he could go to.

The main reason I bring up the CF role is for historical context, it seems like this is something which is important to him or has been in the past

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

For me looking at how teams setup he'd be on the bench for City, Spurs and Liverpool. He wouldn't start for the likes of Bayern, Barca, PSG, Madrid. He may at some point feel he needs regular games but he'd be dropping down to do so.

His situation is no different to Higuain or Sanchez at Real Madrid and Barcelona. He is 22, he imperatively needs to play week in week out, that's why he should leave for a club where he is going to be trusted.

Cassidy

His situation is no different to Higuain or Sanchez at Real Madrid and Barcelona. He is 22, he imperatively needs to play week in week out, that's why he should leave for a club where he is going to be trusted.
Good comparison on Higuain at Real. Morata is another one. Isco is in a similar situation too to a lesser extent

Cassidy

Lets believe everything written online yay
No one is saying any of it is true. We're discussing what may happen given hes lost his place to Sanchez (which isn't speculation)

Yagami

Good post resistant
What's so annoying is that his first season (15/16) was really good and very promising but he's never truely kicked on from that season which is a shame. He should be an established attacker for United right now, yet he isn't.
It's no surprise José's reign started after said season. Can't wait for José to bugger off.

Andersons Dietician

No one is saying any of it is true. We're discussing what may happen given hes lost his place to Sanchez (which isn't speculation)
Do have to wonder if god forbid something happened to Lukaku who would be the replacement 9. I’d imagine Jose would opt Rashford but for me Martial is the better 9. His all round game is just better. He also seems to have better or more industrious movement when played as a striker. In that LW position he often plays more like a midfielder trying to knit moves together.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
There was a story in the DM that United officials were gathering background intel on Mourinho's actions around Salah and deBruyne sales before they decide whether to sell Shaw. I think selling Martial would be a tougher ask off United considering how well he is regarded around the club.

Cassidy

Do have to wonder if god forbid something happened to Lukaku who would be the replacement 9. I’d imagine Jose would opt Rashford but for me Martial is the better 9. His all round game is just better. He also seems to have better or more industrious movement when played as a striker. In that LW position he often plays more like a midfielder trying to knit moves together.
I agree with that, but does Jose. One of the main struggles for me in being consistent at LW is that he is not a natural wide player, what I mean by that is every-time I see him play LW he doesn't look natural. He looks like a natural CF though, his movement is good there and he is a cold finisher.

Saying that though Rashford is no wide player either.

Cassidy

There was a story in the DM that United officials were gathering background intel on Mourinho's actions around Salah and deBruyne sales before they decide whether to sell Shaw. I think selling Martial would be a tougher ask off United considering how well he is regarded around the club.
Agree with that, as long as we tie him down to a new contract. But there is one thing United not wanting to sell and another player wanting out.

Sensei

Supports
Dortmund
You just know he's going to be amazing in a few years but with his lordship preferring 30y/os that's that then.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I was surprised in the post game he mentioned the intensity dropped off because players were coming off the international break. Lukaku obviously played two games for Belgium so I don't understand why he won't substitute him even at 2-0 and the game in the pocket. 30 mins for Rashford and Martial against a tiring Swansea defense would have been great.

Cassidy

I was surprised in the post game he mentioned the intensity dropped off because players were coming off the international break. Lukaku obviously played two games for Belgium so I don't understand why he won't substitute him even at 2-0 and the game in the pocket. 30 mins for Rashford and Martial against a tiring Swansea defense would have been great.
He used to do the same with Ibra last season, its no surprise.

Walters_19_MuFc

He doesn't have much of a future here. Rashford will probably be the first attacking sub on around 65-70 minutes with Martial on around 80. Seems we're looking to bring in another attacker next season which will put him further back in the pecking order. Would love him to stay but can't see it.
Mourinho said we won't be getting anymore attacking player, having acquired Sanchez in January.

“We have Alexis, Lukaku, Martial, Rashford,” the United manager explained. “Rashford can play on the left and the right, Alexis is exactly the same. All of them apart from Lukaku can play from behind as the second striker.

“That’s why I say that it’s bad for you because you like to have things to write and speculate, especially in the summer, but I don’t want attacking players so don’t speak about attacking players that are coming here because nobody is coming here.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...jose-mourinho-no-summer-signing-a8193761.html

That could all change if one of our attacking players were to leave, but as it stands, Jose seems happy with what he's got, and is more worried about the midfield area.

Cassidy

Mourinho said we won't be getting anymore attacking player, having acquired Sanchez in January.

“We have Alexis, Lukaku, Martial, Rashford,” the United manager explained. “Rashford can play on the left and the right, Alexis is exactly the same. All of them apart from Lukaku can play from behind as the second striker.

“That’s why I say that it’s bad for you because you like to have things to write and speculate, especially in the summer, but I don’t want attacking players so don’t speak about attacking players that are coming here because nobody is coming here.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...jose-mourinho-no-summer-signing-a8193761.html

That could all change if one of our attacking players were to leave, but as it stands, Jose seems happy with what he's got, and is more worried about the midfield area.
I'm willing to bet views have changed after Sevilla, TBH though Mata should be the one exiting, if we're bringing in someone more experienced.

Ashish Negi

Best thing will be for Martial and Rash - We should play 2 upfront in 3-5-2 like we played earlier this season or switch to 4-1-3-2

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think he will be gone by this summer. Its clear that Sanchez is Mourinho first choice on the left, while Rashford is Mourinho 2nd.

haram

I'm willing to bet views have changed after Sevilla, TBH though Mata should be the one exiting, if we're bringing in someone more experienced.
Mata seems way more important to this United team than Martial does...

If we go into next year with Sanchez and Rashford as our LW options, we wont actually miss Martial much. We might miss watching his dribbling and close control, but the results will not be negatively affected.

JohnnyKills

Mourinho would be taking a massive risk selling Martial. He's got enough haters as it is, and selling one of the club's top young players would alienate a huge number of people who are currently sitting on the fence.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Those comments were two months ago. Since then Martial has gone from being a starter to not even being a sub. In our biggest game of the season against Sevilla he was only put on after we were losing, he was seemingly one of the ones criticised against Brighton, didn't come off the bench against Swansea and unlikely to play against City.

There doesn't seem to be a huge deal of trust in anyone on the right so his views may have changed since then.

el3mel

Those comments were two months ago. Since then Martial has gone from being a starter to not even being a sub. In our biggest game of the season against Sevilla he was only put on after we were losing, he was seemingly one of the ones criticised against Brighton, didn't come off the bench against Swansea and unlikely to play against City.

There doesn't seem to be a huge deal of trust in anyone on the right so his views may have changed since then.
He repeated these quotes again about 2 days ago.

Kapardin

Mata seems way more important to this United team than Martial does...

If we go into next year with Sanchez and Rashford as our LW options, we wont actually miss Martial much. We might miss watching his dribbling and close control, but the results will not be negatively affected.
Martial may become world class, so this isn't the right mentality IMO. True that Sanchez did well yesterday, but Martial could develop into a KDB type of player with the proper application and mentality. So saying we won't miss him is not correct, rivals will be laughing at us if we sell him.

I have backed Jose a lot, but if he sells Martial, that is unforgivable in my eyes.

Mourinho would be taking a massive risk selling Martial. He's got enough haters as it is, and selling one of the club's top young players would alienate a huge number of people who are currently sitting on the fence.
This. I like Jose, but I don't blindly worship him. Selling Martial would even turn me against him, though I cannot say until the situation arises. I acknowledge Martial is not perfect and has many flaws, buy sidelining him completely for Sanchez or any other player would be criminal negligent management.

haram

Martial may become world class, so this isn't the right mentality IMO. True that Sanchez did well yesterday, but Martial could develop into a KDB type of player with the proper application and mentality. So saying we won't miss him is not correct, rivals will be laughing at us if we sell him.

I have backed Jose a lot, but if he sells Martial, that is unforgivable in my eyes.
Does he have the right application and mentality though? His off the ball movement and work rate still isn't good enough. He may become world class because he has the talent. He wont become world class if he doesn't have the correct mentality. That's the problem with Martial.

If he had the movement and work rate of Lingard he is the first name on the team sheet because he would be world class.

Oldyella

Dont think he would give a feck, he is thick skinned enough to sell anyone if he thinks its for the best. problem is what he thinks is best will be best for him and the short term rather than the clubs long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.