6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irrational.

His performance was summed up today when he waited for the ball to come to him but was intercepted by a more proactive Jay Rodriguez. I fear he will never endear himself to the fans playing like that.

Silas

Let's be honest, if you were the club would you really be happy to give this guy a bumper new deal with a much higher wage when he rarely delivers on the pitch and constantly sulks?
The club already have offered him a contract.

rpitchfo

Still not sure where his reputation for being any type of a good player has come from. squad player.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Feck me, even if he had Juventus in his mind I'd hope for a more interested performance that what we just saw.

If he's deliberately playing like that for that reason then I think that would be even worse for me. Even guys like Ashley Young and Fellaini have a better mentality than that.
The team plays absolutely shocking without him and he got dropped after three goals in three games and he's meant to act like everything's okay and just run through walls for a manager he has no trust in? He's human. And anyway he's the least of our problems after that display. Yet somehow he's still being made a scapegoat by the same morons when he's come on as a sub.

BIGbadBOO4

You guys are so funny blaming Martial when he could of scored if the local lad Lindgard released the ball properly. You expect so much from a guy that's been sitting on the bench for 4-6 consecutive games and he is still a sub you should criticize the starting players. He can at least pass the ball forward in tight spaces. He is thinking of every move he does and that is due to Joses treatment of him. He was free outside of the box loads of times but he didn't get the ball due to our players not willing to risk it instead they take the safe option which leads to NOTHING.
Well said, Jose makes players think too much and play without creativity. They are scared of taking any chances, Martial at least goes forward.

OL29

Blame culture? He has been awful for ages. Some of you Martial fan boys on here are the only thing that is ridiculous.
He wasn't great but he wasn't awful either, I don't know why people always feel he need talk in extremes. He was one of the least culpable for that performance today yet you rush in here to slag him off. Says more about you then his 'fan boys'.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
His performance was summed up today when he waited for the ball to come to him but was intercepted by a more proactive Jay Rodriguez. I fear he will never endear himself to the fans playing like that.
I find this comment strange on the basis that whenever he doesn’t start, there is always a discussion about why he should start.

Decomposing In Paris

Can't understand him being singled out. We've heard rumours that he hasn't agreed to United's first contract offer when he has 2 years left on his contract. He hasn't put in a transfer request. He trained well enough to come on today. He did as much as any of our attackers, and more than most today. Some people like his style of play, others don't. Fine. If I was him, I probably wouldn't want to play for some of you, but I really don't know how he feels.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I thought Lindelof underhit that pass but you're generally right. He loves ball to feet but we have too many of those types of players already (Mata and Lukaku standing out). I think we need a more adventurous winger and Martial doesn't fit the bill.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
The team plays absolutely shocking without him and he got dropped after three goals in three games and he's meant to act like everything's okay and just run through walls for a manager he has no trust in? He's human. And anyway he's the least of our problems after that display. Yet somehow he's still being made a scapegoat by the same morons when he's come on as a sub.
The current wing options we have aren't good enough and neither is Martial.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Can't understand him being singled out. We've heard rumours that he hasn't agreed to United's first contract offer when he has 2 years left on his contract. He hasn't put in a transfer request. He trained well enough to come on today. He did as much as any of our attackers, and more than most today. Some people like his style of play, others don't. Fine. If I was him, I probably wouldn't want to play for some of you, but I really don't know how he feels.
Well said. United fans don't deserve having young players coming through. Lack of patience and whenever manager just drops players willy nilly - they don't take into consideration that there is a player there with feelings .. it's a cyborg who should just run through walls for United even when they're treated poorly.

The current wing options we have aren't good enough and neither is Martial.
That might be true but first thing is first.. why get Sanchez when side is crying out for proper width?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Who's singling him out? This is his thread. Jose, Lukaku, Young, Mata, Sanchez, Pogba have all had it today.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Holy shit at the clutching of straws in this thread. 'Best attacker when he came on' is always the line people peddle out when Martial plays like shit. He didn't actually get a goal/assist, didn't make any darting runs or dribbles to open up the defence, didn't find a pass.

Basically he did a few tricks and feints, great for making a youtube compilation but irrelevant for winning a game.

el3mel

Don't understand those who don't like him getting slaughtered. The threads of manager and other players are all the same as well. He was as shite as them all and he deserves it. Some treat with different kind of expectations I believe, like making some good passes or a single dribble is enough to considered having a decent game.

Nickthepip

Totally dispassionate about this issue but he doesn’t appear to have the right attitude for this club, he doesn’t track back and shied out of tackles at 1-0 down.

Last edited:

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Still not sure where his reputation for being any type of a good player has come from. squad player.
yeah, dribbling is only part of his game and the thing people can see but there is a lot he has to develop like his football brain etc. and he stagnated in it for the time being with us. But mainly his mentality will stop him from being a top player. I wonder if someone like Pochettino would make him work harder..

Silas

Holy shit at the clutching of straws in this thread. 'Best attacker when he came on' is always the line people peddle out when Martial plays like shit. He didn't actually get a goal/assist, didn't make any darting runs or dribbles to open up the defence, didn't find a pass.

Basically he did a few tricks and feints, great for making a youtube compilation but irrelevant for winning a game.
Did you miss Lingard messing up putting him through?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Actually that was what he was doing far better than any of our other attackers. He wasn't able to get past his man himself, but he quite consistently was drawing defenders and then making good passes inside to people who were in good attacking positions (who invariably did nothing with it).

He 'looked' like he wasn't trying hard, but the actual quality coming off his boots was far higher than any of our other attackers.

Gbenger

For some reason, his thread is more active than Sanchez's, the world class player who was supposed to replace him.

Martial was not at his best but Sanchez who was worse is getting away with a lot less criticism. The agenda against this lad is something else.

If anyone wants to bet, I'd say if Martial leaves, he'd end up in a team far better than ours (like Juventus) and be a starter there. I'd like to see how some folks here would spin it then.

And as for Sanchez, he might even get a bit better but he'd never reach the heights he managed at Arsenal if he continues to play for Mourinho.

Son Of Sam

He’s a very good player.
The problem is you can never know which Martial would turn up at any given time. He has the widest level of performance I’ve seen since I started following Man Utd.

Martial can drop a 9/10 performance against Liverpool and then drop 1/10 against West Brom. He sulks a lot. I wouldn’t offer him any contract cos he’s too inconsistent and it’s nothing to do with whether he starts or not.

OL29

Don't understand those who don't like him getting slaughtered. The threads of manager and other players are all the same as well. He was as shite as them all and he deserves it. Some treat with different kind of expectations I believe, like making some good passes or a single dribble is enough to considered having a decent game.
It's fine to criticise when the cristicism is fair but when you see people rush into his thread after a match like today where he didn't really do anything wrong it smacks of agenda. He barely had the opportunity to get into the game but he was positive most times he had the ball. He's become a scapegoat on this forum.

PepsiCola

When's the last time he got on the pitch before today?

The whole team was shit. FOH with your agendas.

el3mel

It's fine to criticise when the cristicism is fair but when you see people rush into his thread after a match like today where he didn't really do anything wrong it smacks of agenda. He barely had the opportunity to get into the game but he was positive most times he had the ball. He's become a scapegoat on this forum.
This is his thread, what are you expecting ? Have a look at the other threads and you'll see no difference. Actually the only difference is no one in Lukaku/Sanchez/Pogba/Mourinho/Mata are complaining they're getting slaughtered, because they deserve it fully. Surely similar slaughtering should be happening there as well ?

Again I quite feel people have a very low expectation for Martial when it comes to performance. Simple things that any winger will do are considered good enough for him to avoid blaming, something that never happens for any other player.

Milkman007

He didn't do any of the ''youtube'' reels you're talking about, however he put in the only decent cross of the game to Lukaku when he was being dragged down. I really don't understand why the same posters come in here every single time he doesn't score or assist, just to tell everyone how shit he is. He didn't have a good game but he didn't do anything wrong either, i bet i wont find you in the Rashford or Lingard thread complaining as much as you do here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Lack of movement and desire is a fair point but it wasn't like he was the only one not moving off the ball. A few times he was around the halfway line with the ball, two West Brom players around him and nearest United player 25-30 yards away just standing there waiting for Martial to do something rather than provide an option to pass to. It was an issue most of the side had.

Andersons Dietician

That’s the 1 bad thing. What about the numerous good moves he put together and also the amount of times he was wide open free on the edge of the box with no 1 around him shouting for the ball and it was never laid across. I counted at least 5. Then there was that stupid Lingard screw up. If a goal was going to come it looked most likely it would be coming from something Martial did.

Kag

Comfortably the best attacking player on the field upon arrival, albeit not a huge achievement given the competition. One or two iffy, 'disinterested' moments but we're strikingly better when he's on the field than when he's not. Even just the width, if anything.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Actually that was what he was doing far better than any of our other attackers. He wasn't able to get past his man himself, but he quite consistently was drawing defenders and then making good passes inside to people who were in good attacking positions (who invariably did nothing with it).

He 'looked' like he wasn't trying hard, but the actual quality coming off his boots was far higher than any of our other attackers.
That is not a pass that opens up a defence, that is a pass that shifts responsibility. Martial multiple times cut inside and passed to a player surrounded by West Brom defenders. Ashley Young made an overlap three times in the 2nd half and instead of passing into the space for him to chase, he cut inside both times and passed into traffic.

Matic was the standout passer in that game, because when he was in advanced positions he passed into the space and first time. A good pass is one that moves defenders away from their defensive line. Martial's passes were all obvious and in front of the defenders meaning they were easily dealt with.

3KDré

Lack of movement and desire is a fair point but it wasn't like he was the only one not moving off the ball. A few times he was around the halfway line with the ball, two West Brom players around him and nearest United player 25-30 yards away just standing there waiting for Martial to do something rather than provide an option to pass to. It was an issue most of the side had.
It's almost as if the players aren't being coached on attacking movements and patterns enough

Litch

What I don't understand is why we never rotate him with Rom? He's def got quality it's clear Jose doesn't fancy him. I suspect he will be sold as part of a deal to sign another player.

spiriticon

Feck it, 100 million for Martial, 120 million for Pogba.

That's 220 million to get players with the right mentality for United.

I'm starting to get tempted by the thought.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I've been a critic of him today but this is true. He was fairly isolated a lot of the time.

R'hllor

He could have Godlike last 25 minutes and still it would mean feck all to his game time, status in manager`s eyes.

Member 5225

:lol: - re: my tagline addition.

Apologies for speaking out my thoughts re: the golden boy. He is world class, our manager is a fool for not playing him every single minute.
Jesus, it's like a ****!

Status
Not open for further replies.