g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Anthony Martial image 9

Anthony Martial France flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveW

I'd keep him. I can't see Jose lasting the season so I would be slow to sell any talented players. His potential is obvious and we've yet to see what he could do under a positive coach

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
A certain type of player always gets accused of being lazy and having no fight on here, due to posters lack of insight or critical thought, urge to lambast, and tendancy to exaggerate.

Based on 2 games where pretty much noone stood out no less. Gotta be more to do with the fact that he reportedly wants out, and even that is somewhat understandable if you actually look at the facts.

I get the feeling caftards (nowadays) aren't happy unless they are complaining about the future of the club, rinsing the players and manager, or enviously waxing lyrical about other teams. It's tedious as feck, and usually baseless.

Some of you need to get out more...
I don't disagree that's at the heart of the proliferation of 'feck him off'-type posts around the forum, particularly match threads. I'm sure it's coloured my thinking too to a degree, but in my opinion Martial hasn't impressed enough when he's been given chances since February and so if he's done fighting for spot at this club we should, regretfully, get as large a fee as possible for him and move on.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Swap him with Dembele from Barca.

Litch

I don't disagree that's at the heart of the proliferation of 'feck him off'-type posts around the forum, particularly match threads. I'm sure it's coloured my thinking too to a degree, but in my opinion Martial hasn't impressed enough when he's been given chances since February and so if he's done fighting for spot at this club we should, regretfully, get as large a fee as possible for him and move on.
Can't argue with that. We can debate the rights and wrongs, and how we came to this situation but if any player doesn't want to be here, then they need to go but on our terms as still under contract. I think this needs to be resolved asap as Martial wears his negativity which can easily create a toxic environment at the club.

Greek9

Supports
Panathinaikos
He needs to go, can't have both Rashford and Martial in the team, both inconsistent as feck with 'future' potential, sell one preferably Martial to buy Willian or something who even if he is inconsistent as well at least he will never be a liability on the pitch due to his workrate, something Martial has zero.

OL29

A certain type of player always gets accused of being lazy and having no fight on here, due to posters lack of insight or critical thought, urge to lambast, and tendancy to exaggerate.

Based on 2 games where pretty much noone stood out no less. Gotta be more to do with the fact that he reportedly wants out, and even that is somewhat understandable if you actually look at the facts.

I get the feeling caftards (nowadays) aren't happy unless they are complaining about the future of the club, rinsing the players and manager, or enviously waxing lyrical about other teams. It's tedious as feck, and usually baseless.

Foreign players who didn't come from the academy always get a rough ride on here from a certain faction of supporters.

Litch

He needs to go, can't have both Rashford and Martial in the team, both inconsistent as feck with 'future' potential, sell one preferably Martial to buy Willian or something who even if he is inconsistent as well at least he will never be a liability on the pitch due to his workrate, something Martial has zero.
Agree. Feel the same about Sanchez, even if he's not playing well he still offers something that can lead to a goal. Martial will never be that type of personality to his game, and needs a team that will allow him the freedom to play without the responsibility.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout

It's based on the last 2 seasons where he's supposed to be fighting for his place.
Like United fans have always wanted, and rightfully so, a player needs to show some fight to play for such a club. There's been a lack of it all round in recent years, hence a lot of complaining about it.

Last edited:

Member 5225

Foreign players who didn't come from the academy always get a rough ride on here from a certain faction of supporters.
Haha what are you on about?
The fans hated Park, Fortune, Evra, etc?

They left everything on the pitch every week!

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
We had Ronaldo and Rooney here as teenagers once. Both inconsistent as feck with ‘future’ potential. That turned out well didn’t it?

Having said that, I agree that Martial needs to go. He’s highly overrated and has only shown glimpses of his talent. I reckon he’s not good enough mentally. Talent wise he can be up there as one of the best but he won’t be because of his mentality.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
We had Ronaldo and Rooney here as teenagers once. Both inconsistent as feck with ‘future’ potential. That turned out well didn’t it?
Both clearly very driven characters too though. They were fighters on the pitch and by all accounts off the pitch too (Rooney less so off the training ground).

OL29

Which players are those exactly?
Out of the players we have currently, Martial, Bailly, Fellaini, Herrera, etc. I'm not saying every poster is guilty of this but certainly the 'top reds' amongst us. It stems from the media imo.

redflash

Just smacks of being another anelka. Extremely talented and has the ability to be one of the best in the world. But bad attitude and maybe advice is spoiling him.

When you come to man United you have to earn the right to play every single game.

He's got the talent so for me it's down to him as to why he's not playing regular last two years. It's in moments like this where I'd expect a player to double down on effort and come out of the other side firing.

Not crying that they want to leave because they think they should play.

That said I've never actually spoken to martial so all this could and most likely has been spun by the media. I just hope he gets his head down and starts playing to his potential.

If he starts banging in top performances every time he plays and still isn't given the starts he desires then I'd think fair play to him moving

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Out of the players we have currently, Martial, Bailly, Fellaini, Herrera, etc. I'm not saying every poster is guilty of this but certainly the 'top reds' amongst us. It stems from the media imo.
Not sure Bailly has. Lots of people like Herrera, if not so much for his football but for his passion (I fall into this category). Fellaini is obvious - wasn't good enough for a long time and a frustrating plan b often. Martial isn't seen to be applying himself.

I don't see the connection with being foreign. Smalling and Jones get lots of stick too.
McTominay gets it and he's both English and from our academy.

The key is putting the effort in and being good enough for United.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
When you come to man United you have to earn the right to play every single game.
This is where Rashford seems to get it imo.
When people compare the two and question why he is starting when he isn't necessarily playing well, he still looks like he's getting his head down and going for it. I assume it's similar in training.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
rooney could have been a bit insoncistent but he was very young and at the age of 22 which is Martial now he was getting to his peak, he also gave his all 90 minutes. Martial is strolling around the pitch and after he seems jaded aleready

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I only just watched the San Jose game last night but Martial was pretty rubbish again I thought. It amazes me how professional footballers have 6 weeks off and their whole game drops to shit, even after training with a ball every day for the last week or two.

Not quite sure what's going on with the guy these days. I've gone from loving the guy after his first year to having very little hope he'll ever come good. At this point I wouldn't even be worried if he moved elsewhere in the PL if we were to sell him.

OL29

Not sure Bailly has. Lots of people like Herrera, if not so much for his football but for his passion (I fall into this category). Fellaini is obvious - wasn't good enough for a long time and a frustrating plan b often. Martial isn't seen to be applying himself.

I don't see the connection with being foreign. Smalling and Jones get lots of stick too.
McTominay gets it and he's both English and from our academy.

The key is putting the effort in and being good enough for United.
It's all perception I guess, it's just something I notice from a certain type of supporter. Again, it's not everyone.

AR87

Pep inherited Sterling yet has gone out and bought Bernardo Silva and now Riyad Mahrez who both play in the same position in his setup. I don't think Sterling or Silva will down tools, sulk and put in insipid performances and if they were to I don't think posters here would be making excuses for them.

I like Martial, but his performances since Sanchez's arrival haven't been good enough even when he's played in his preferred positions. You can say that it's because even if he plays well he won't get to play over Sanchez or Lukaku, but we don't even know that's the case seeing as how he basically hasn't played well since the end of January.

If he wants to leave so be it, but Jose is right in that we don't always get what we want. The club spent alot of money to bring him in and have paid 3 years worth of wages on top of that. In a world where Richarlison is getting sold for £50m the club is certainly justified in looking for a substantial fee from any interested club and well within their rights to hold onto him if no such offer is forthcoming. It's on Martial to be a professional about it and realize if he wants a move playing well is the way forward so that clubs have no qualms about doling out that type of cash on him.

redIndianDevil

Willian for Martial plus Chelsea pays us 20m (mainly because of how young Martial is) and the deal is done. Both teams improve on the areas where they need improving but both teams also lose a very good player. Everyone is a winner...
Don't think Chelsea will think that, they aren't suckers. They know Martial wants out, no such thing from Willian. They just fought off Barcelona for Willian.

redIndianDevil

Sure Martial may not like Mourinho, and as a neutral you can see why. As a supporter of either one, we can have our disagreement on who's at fault. What I don't get is how can some label Martial's attitude terrible and in the same sentence want Willian here knowing he was just as terrible if not more vocal towards Conte last season. And before someone says he's more proven, remember Martial also proved he belonged here at 19 and is more productive which is one of our weaknesses.
Willian is hardly proven at anything, his best season was when Chelsea were close to relegation and fired Mourinho. He got replaced by Pedro the following season and has been a squad player since.

afrocentricity

Both clearly very driven characters too though. They were fighters on the pitch and by all accounts off the pitch too (Rooney less so off the training ground).
Easy to say in hindsight. Ronaldo used to get rinsed on here for being a show pony afraid to get stuck in and Rooney got rinsed for being overweight and not looking after himself.

Youngsters will get rinsed, water is wet.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Easy to say in hindsight. Ronaldo used to get rinsed on here for being a show pony afraid to get stuck in and Rooney got rinsed for being overweight and not looking after himself.

Youngsters will get rinsed, water is wet.
They were clearly driven though. It's not just hindsight. Rooney was an animal on the pitch, and Ronaldo's energy was clear.
Rooney was already looking close to a world beater despite the (justified) criticisms. No one knew Ronaldo would be great, but the effort on the pitch was there and it wasn't long until word spread of the effort off it.

Kostov

Perisic is a very effective player in what he does, big game player too. He would certainly improve us of he came here.
Martial has stagnated, he hasn’t been good for us in two years now.
Sure, you can go the easy route and blame Jose, but the fact is Jose has successfully managed, and improved young attacking players in his managerial career.
Maybe Martial and Jose are not a good fit, maybe Martial’s divorce has affected him to such a level, I really don’t know.
But if he wants to leave, there’s no point in keeping him here.
I don’t see his supposed world class potential coming to fruition in the current situation, personally.
Who are those? Rashford maybe? Our attackers have been mediocre at best.

Kostov

Perisic is a very effective player in what he does, big game player too. He would certainly improve us of he came here.
Sure, you can go the easy route and blame Jose, but the fact is Jose has successfully managed, and improved young attacking players in his managerial career.
Maybe Martial and Jose are not a good fit, maybe Martial’s divorce has affected him to such a level, I really don’t know.
I don’t see his supposed world class potential coming to fruition in the current situation, personally.

Kostov

tidraKS

If he wants to go, at least swap him with Willian + 30 million.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ozil maybe? Was already very good but seemed to have his best form under Mourinho.
Ozil and Benzema. Higuain developed infinitely more when he left. In fact I mentioned it in the past but Martial and Higuain are in a similar situation and a move to a club like Napoli in 2013 wouldn't be a bad thing.

Ashish Negi

'I think Martial, ability-wise, is incredible,' Rooney told talkSPORT. 'But I think it's how do you get the best out of him?

'Knowing Anthony the way I know him I think if you can get the best out of him, he's up there ability-wise with the best in the league.

“I think sometimes it is difficult to get to know him as a person, as a character because of the way he is. But I think once you do get to know him, you just keep him happy.”

TalkSPORT’s very own Ray Parlour has continuously claimed Nicolas Anelka could have been as good as Thierry Henry or Dennis Bergkamp, but failed to properly apply himself.

And when asked by Brazil if Martial was in a similar predicament, the former England captain had one simple answer.

“Yeah I think Anthony could be at that level.”

https://talksport.com/football/4029...et-anthony-martial-leave-claims-wayne-rooney/

Last edited:

flappyjay

It's based on the last 2 seasons where he's supposed to be fighting for his place.
Like United fans have always wanted, and rightfully so, a player needs to show some fight to play for such a club. There's been a lack of it all round in recent years, hence a lot of complaining about it.
With Rashford its a fair fight, but vs Sanchez he would have to be word class every game to win his position

Mr PG

Agree. Feel the same about Sanchez, even if he's not playing well he still offers something that can lead to a goal. Martial will never be that type of personality to his game, and needs a team that will allow him the freedom to play without the responsibility.
Martial has talent but not good enough for United... he lacks the application... a lot like Berbatov.

afrocentricity

They were clearly driven though. It's not just hindsight. Rooney was an animal on the pitch, and Ronaldo's energy was clear.
Rooney was already looking close to a world beater despite the (justified) criticisms. No one knew Ronaldo would be great, but the effort on the pitch was there and it wasn't long until word spread of the effort off it.
Speak for yourself, because I remember making similar posts to less enlightened posters back then too. The moaning is a whole lot worse now tho.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
It actually got to the point when I want him out of this club, the guy can´t care less, the second half was truly shocking from him, if we can get 30-40m plus add-ons for him we should take it and invest our time in someone else. He is one of the most overrated players of recent years, he´s just a fine dribbler with a good touch but even with his dribbling he doesn´t go past players regularly. everything else he is not special at all, highly questioning his football intelligence too

Zorewa

Will be a big mistake to let Martial go because I think he is our most talented attacking player.
Like our other attacking players the big problem is Mourinho, people should remember in his first season he was our best outfield player with 17 goals and 11 assists I think, also he was fantastic last season before Sanchez's arrival with only Salah and Aguero had less minutes per goal involvement in EPL.

Martial needs coach's trust and attacking system to flourish unlike conservative/defensive football Mourinho produces, people criticise his mentality but lack of your manager's trust doesn't help either.
Was anyone complaining about Martial's mentality in his first season? I remember many times last season Martial performed well when introduced as substitute only to return on the bench the very next game.

It's laughable that everyone says we need a RW when we have Martial, Sanchez and Rashford on our books, any good coach with stable attacking system can make any of the above players adapt in RW, look at City Sane and Sterling used to play in opposite flanks, look at PSG Mbappe is right footed but plays on right, at Liverpool Mane was used to play on right before Salah's arrival.

Mourinho is the problem at United, not Martial, not our attacking players.

Reactions: Sultan

afrocentricity

If it's between the manager or the player getting the boot. It has to be the player. Unless the manager is a shambles, which is not the case here imo.

Water Melon

Will be a big mistake to let Martial go because I think he is our most talented attacking player.
Like our other attacking players the big problem is Mourinho, people should remember in his first season he was our best outfield player with 17 goals and 11 assists I think, also he was fantastic last season before Sanchez's arrival with only Salah and Aguero had less minutes per goal involvement in EPL.

Martial needs coach's trust and attacking system to flourish unlike conservative/defensive football Mourinho produces, people criticise his mentality but lack of your manager's trust doesn't help either.
Was anyone complaining about Martial's mentality in his first season? I remember many times last season Martial performed well when introduced as substitute only to return on the bench the very next game.

It's laughable that everyone says we need a RW when we have Martial, Sanchez and Rashford on our books, any good coach with stable attacking system can make any of the above players adapt in RW, look at City Sane and Sterling used to play in opposite flanks, look at PSG Mbappe is right footed but plays on right, at Liverpool Mane was used to play on right before Salah's arrival.

Mourinho is the problem at United, not Martial, not our attacking players.
This poster speaks sense. Promote him.

Status
Not open for further replies.