Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The talent is obviously there. He just doesn't fit in Mou's system, so it is better for both parties to let him leave this summer. Mou then can use the money to buy his high work-rate right winger.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
cant see those teams paying 60M-70M euros for Martial though. (i guess we gonna lose money on this deal?)

interesting players being offered?
God knows, I can't see it either mate. Think he'll be here for the season tbh...

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It actually got to the point when I want him out of this club, the guy can´t care less, the second half was truly shocking from him, if we can get 30-40m plus add-ons for him we should take it and invest our time in someone else. He is one of the most overrated players of recent years, he´s just a fine dribbler with a good touch but even with his dribbling he doesn´t go past players regularly. everything else he is not special at all, highly questioning his football intelligence too
Agreed, i'm a huge fan of Martial but if you're going to just amble around the pitch and sulk what's the point.

Give me Perisic killing himself on the pitch every match over that imposter.

OldSchoolManc

Agreed, i'm a huge fan of Martial but if you're going to just amble around the pitch and sulk what's the point.

Give me Perisic killing himself on the pitch every match over that imposter.
Absolutely! Paid 100,000 a week, only to go out on the pitch and make no effort. No wonder fans have turned. Most fans would kill to have had the chance to be a professional footballer and he’s acting like an egotistical spoilt brat. Better off without him and the poisonous attitude.

togg

I'm just getting totally bored with the whole Martial saga. He's not world class and in my opnion never will be. Sure he'll move on and probably score a rash of goals at the beginning, but give it a year or so and it will back to the same old same old. He'll eventually repeat this moody sulk and lack of interest at his next club.

Time to move on for both parties I reckon. No hard feelings, just business.....

cant see those teams paying 60M-70M euros for Martial though. (i guess we gonna lose money on this deal?)

interesting players being offered?
No one is paying that for Martial. However we have paid Mocano £35m up front, and I think about another £9m - so we might get back our outlay.

At least we will never have to pay the full £58m as this kid is never winning the Ballon d'Or!

svastian99

The boy has some talent (that is not in doubt), the problem is his attitude ... he must have the energy and character to fight for a position.
If he is not willing to do that ... he is not ready to play for United - independent of the manager.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Seems in jovial mood going by social media. Mitten said he spoke to him and he didn't seem unhappy. Think he's resigned to staying this season.

criticalanalysis

The talent is obviously there. He just doesn't fit in Mou's system, so it is better for both parties to let him leave this summer. Mou then can use the money to buy his high work-rate right winger.
Nobody apart from Smalling fits or flourishes in Mourinho's system.

No team pressing, no attacking plays/philosophy, no midfield dominance and no width. We're the 2nd best team in the league because we have the 2nd best squad coached with a lot of professionalism whilst just going through the emotions. He's not really inspiring anyone with his coaching techniques.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
A common trait amongst people on the spectrum is to be perceived as ‘quiet’ or socially withdrawn, even lazy and disinterested. All of which can be observed in Martial’s case.

‘Learning difficulties’ also often associated with those on the spectrum.

We need to remove the stigma, and embrace the reality that the law of averages dictates that there will be a number of footballers, both historically and present, who have the condition; it’ll help people accept that the perceived idle arrogance of the Balotellis, Martials and Michael Johnsons may be something that goes beyond a lack of commitment and professionalism.
100%, with that being said - there's a time and a place to embrace it. Sometimes you need desire and determination to get to the top. There's a reason the other two names you listed didn't make it/stay at the top.

beycont

No team pressing, no attacking plays/philosophy, no midfield dominance and no width. We're the 2nd best team in the league because we have the 2nd best squad coached with a lot of professionalism whilst just going through the emotions. He's not really inspiring anyone with his coaching techniques.
User name checks out...

BlueHaze

I really want him to stay, but with his agent confirming his wish to leave what is the point of forcing him to stay? If Mourinho was smart he would let Martial go and use the money to get Leon Bailey but sadly he is only interested in dross like Willian and Perisic.

meamth

If we're selling him, please replace him with another wonderkid. Willian and Perisic will be another problem to offload soon.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ls-Man-United-incredible-Anthony-Martial.html

Anybody doubting Martial talent needs to read this from an ex teammate who trained with the lad every day
I don’t really care about what he does in the training, it’s about how he does on match days that count. Rooney also says, you need to find a way to get the best out of him as he’s a talent, we know this - unfortunately we don’t have the luxury of mollycoddling players at Utd, and he needs to motivate himself otherwise his career will continue to go backwards.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He has fought for his place for 2 seasons. Not sure why people think he should stay and fight a losing battle. Its a shame really but its best for both parties if he leaves now.
That's how I see it as well.

He stayed and fought for his spot in Jose's first season, but ultimately his performances didn't deserve any better treatment. Then he stayed and fought again last season and this time his performances did deserve better. But instead he ended up being, at best, fourth choice for the two spots he can play in despite comfortably outperforming two of the players ahead of him.

I'm certainly not a Jose hater, but his treatment of Martial is one of the main things I wasn't happy with last season. Martial has his faults, but don't feck him around at the time where he's kept his head down and rightfully fought his way to the top of the pile. Bad man-management that.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Mourinho will probably get himself sacked at some point this season. Problem solved.
For me that is the reason the board haven’t sanctioned the sale. I don’t think think they are 100% behind Mourinho at all.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Chelsea wants Martial and United want Willian. Seems like a no brainer to me. Just make the swap already...
So we get an above average winger for a season or two before his pace goes and needs replacing, and Chelsea get a potentially world class player (under the right manager) that could give them ten years service.

Sounds like a terrible fecking deal.

Fair enough if it was part of a deal for a Dembele or Bailey, but fecking Willian?

I don’t think the board would sanction this at all, despite what Mourinho wants.

kr0nix

User name checks out...
He's right though. How many players would you say have definitely improved under Jose since he's been here? Apart from Young I can't think of any standout examples. Possibly Smalling.

There are two myths around Martial that are frustratingly constantly repeated:

1. He was tearing it up last season before Sanchez came - Martial was outstanding coming off the bench on quite a few occasions over the first few months of the season, but was almost always average/underwhelming when he got a start (and he was given plenty of opportunities). I remember Martial himself saying a year or so ago that he needs to work on his fitness as he often tires during games, so this could well be the reason for the gulf in quality between his play off the bench and when he starts. As the season wore on, he wasn't even very good coming off the bench either.

2. Martial has a poor attitude that could be toxic in the dressing room - A lot of this seems to be based upon one story at the beginning of his second season that said he was unhappy about losing his number 9 shirt to Zlatan. Firstly, we don't even know if this is true (I believe his agent may have mouthed off a bit at the time but Martial said nothing), but secondly, even if it is I don't blame him for being upset for a little while if he wasn't even consulted about this. What's annoying is that some people were blaming his entire second season form on him "sulking" about the shirt change, despite there being no evidence that he was annoyed for anything more than a short amount of time. His loss of form was probably more due to the personal problems he was going through at the time, or even just plain old "second season syndrome" / typical inconsistency as seen in youngsters.

I'm desperate for Martial to succeed as I really like the guy, but to be honest I haven't been that impressed with him during any of his three seasons at United. His first season was clearly his best, but even then I thought he was an enigma as he was the total opposite of other young players billed as future stars. What I mean by this is that a lot of well regarded youngsters will show plenty of quality, potential, skill etc. in their overall game when they're young, but don't yet back this up with enough productivity. Martial, on the other hand, was very productive in his first season in terms of goals for someone of his age, but his overall game was often very poor and not actually too dissimilar to his overall performances in his second and third seasons. His goals would often mask poor overall performances in his first year. His best overall play was early in his first year IMO; I saw him live away to Southampton in 15/16 when he scored a double and I'd still rank that as his best overall performance for the club. He was a constant threat from start to finish as well as getting a brace.

He's one of the least intelligent players I've ever seen at the club, even though he undoubtedly has some quality there within him. I'd bracket him with Nani in that sense, and say that if he fails at United it'll be down to this rather than anything to do with poor attitude. Him and Nani both lacked self-belief a lot of the time too, so I'm also open to the idea that both may have been let down by confidence, which can kind of mask as lack of brains on the pitch in poor decision making etc.

If he leaves United, he may get one more big move and chance at a top tier club, but I think he will eventually end up with a Quaresma type career, playing for Europa League level teams in Spain and/or Italy for a few years, before dropping down to irrelevance playing in Turkey, Portugal, or even China, and he'll be viewed similarly to Quaresma as a player who looked like he had the tools to become a very good player, but never the determination or intelligence to make it. I think he has a "poor attitude" in the sense of not being determined enough to improve as a player and reach his potential, but not in the sense of being a whiner who destabilizes the dressing room. He's actually gone out of his way to quash transfer rumours during a lot of his time at United, which is something I really respect him for.

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
So we get an above average winger for a season or two before his pace goes and needs replacing, and Chelsea get a potentially world class player (under the right manager) that could give them ten years service.

Sounds like a terrible fecking deal.

Fair enough if it was part of a deal for a Dembele or Bailey, but fecking Willian?

I don’t think the board would sanction this at all, despite what Mourinho wants.
I get what you're saying and I would rather keep Martial than get Willian for those exact reasons. But as it stands we have a player who isn't happy and another player who Mourinho wants. So perhaps a trade plus cash for us...

JoaquinJoaquin

1. He was tearing it up last season before Sanchez came - Martial was outstanding coming off the bench on quite a few occasions over the first few months of the season, but was almost always average/underwhelming when he got a start (and he was given plenty of opportunities). I remember Martial himself saying a year or so ago that he needs to work on his fitness as he often tires during games, so this could well be the reason for the gulf in quality between his play off the bench and when he starts. As the season wore on, he wasn't even very good coming off the bench either.

2. Martial has a poor attitude that could be toxic in the dressing room - A lot of this seems to be based upon one story at the beginning of his second season that said he was unhappy about losing his number 9 shirt to Zlatan. Firstly, we don't even know if this is true (I believe his agent may have mouthed off a bit at the time but Martial said nothing), but secondly, even if it is I don't blame him for being upset for a little while if he wasn't even consulted about this. What's annoying is that some people were blaming his entire second season form on him "sulking" about the shirt change, despite there being no evidence that he was annoyed for anything more than a short amount of time. His loss of form was probably more due to the personal problems he was going through at the time, or even just plain old "second season syndrome" / typical inconsistency as seen in youngsters.

I'm desperate for Martial to succeed as I really like the guy, but to be honest I haven't been that impressed with him during any of his three seasons at United. His first season was clearly his best, but even then I thought he was an enigma as he was the total opposite of other young players billed as future stars. What I mean by this is that a lot of well regarded youngsters will show plenty of quality, potential, skill etc. in their overall game when they're young, but don't yet back this up with enough productivity. Martial, on the other hand, was very productive in his first season in terms of goals for someone of his age, but his overall game was often very poor and not actually too dissimilar to his overall performances in his second and third seasons. His goals would often mask poor overall performances in his first year. His best overall play was early in his first year IMO; I saw him live away to Southampton in 15/16 when he scored a double and I'd still rank that as his best overall performance for the club. He was a constant threat from start to finish as well as getting a brace.

He's one of the least intelligent players I've ever seen at the club, even though he undoubtedly has some quality there within him. I'd bracket him with Nani in that sense, and say that if he fails at United it'll be down to this rather than anything to do with poor attitude. Him and Nani both lacked self-belief a lot of the time too, so I'm also open to the idea that both may have been let down by confidence, which can kind of mask as lack of brains on the pitch in poor decision making etc.

If he leaves United, he may get one more big move and chance at a top tier club, but I think he will eventually end up with a Quaresma type career, playing for Europa League level teams in Spain and/or Italy for a few years, before dropping down to irrelevance playing in Turkey, Portugal, or even China, and he'll be viewed similarly to Quaresma as a player who looked like he had the tools to become a very good player, but never the determination or intelligence to make it. I think he has a "poor attitude" in the sense of not being determined enough to improve as a player and reach his potential, but not in the sense of being a whiner who destabilizes the dressing room. He's actually gone out of his way to quash transfer rumours during a lot of his time at United, which is something I really respect him for.
Good post. Agree with most of your points.

RedDevil@84

Good post.
The two myths are clearly frustrating. It is obvious that in his 2nd season he had to deal with losing the no 9 as well as his family. It was never going to be easy that season. Besides after an above expectation first season, people were expecting him to lift off which is not always easy.

Laurentiu amt

Good post.
The two myths are clearly frustrating. It is obvious that in his 2nd season he had to deal with losing the no 9 as well as his family. It was never going to be easy that season. Besides after an above expectation first season, people were expecting him to lift off which is not always easy.
Added to that it's hard to lift off in a team that doesn't play positive football. He would've been alright in the 2nd season as well if we would've played well and all the other players around him would've played well.

We stopped playing good football in 2012. People think that a 20 year old Martial will change that and expect him to score 20 a season on a constant basis, from the left wing. C'mon, grow up a bit. Martiall will play well when the rest of the team plays well, it's a simple logic in football.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
There'll be talk about how he doesn't like Martial due to him not playing tonight but Mourinho stated in post-match interview he wanted to give Martial 25 minutes to help kill the game off with a second goal but couldn't due to needing to put McTominay and Fellaini on with Pogba lacking fitness.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
There'll be talk about how he doesn't like Martial due to him not playing tonight but Mourinho stated in post-match interview he wanted to give Martial 25 minutes to help kill the game off with a second goal but couldn't due to needing to put McTominay and Fellaini on with Pogba lacking fitness.
I don't think so, it's a pretty reasonable explanation especially considering Martial is not in match form at the moment either.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Can't see him here after christmas. He would be mad to sign new contract and we would be mad to let him for half price next summer.
Most of you will tell that he should fight for his spot but that fight he can't win.
Lukaku is starter( well deserved). Second choice rashford. Sanchez is starter. Second choice rashford. Lingard is starter. Second choice mata. Even third choice for rw i would say it is rashford not martial.
Only way how he can play is that jose moves alexis on the right and gives him his lw spot. Not likely.

TheReligion

Abusive
Can't see him here after christmas. He would be mad to sign new contract and we would be mad to let him for half price next summer.
Most of you will tell that he should fight for his spot but that fight he can't win.
Lukaku is starter( well deserved). Second choice rashford. Sanchez is starter. Second choice rashford. Lingard is starter. Second choice mata. Even third choice for rw i would say it is rashford not martial.
Only way how he can play is that jose moves alexis on the right and gives him his lw spot. Not likely.
I take it you didn't listen to JM post match?

Made a point of saying how much he wanted to bring Martial on for Alexis/Mata but couldn't as Pogba was shattered and Fred and Andreas were on yellows.

He's got a future at the club if he wants it.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I take it you didn't listen to JM post match?

Made a point of saying how much he wanted to bring Martial on for Alexis/Mata but couldn't as Pogba was shattered and Fred and Andreas were on yellows.

He's got a future at the club if he wants it.
Yes i did listen to jose. And that does not change anything what i said. I am not saying that he is better or worse player than alexis or lukaku and i am not saying that he is some kind of jose's victim. I am trying to be objective here. His future is to be on the bench and maybe play 20-25 minutes, regarding of situation. Today he didn't play because of one situation. Next time it would be another. Than he will play half an hour. Than maybe 20 minutes. Look, i will ask you one thing:
Do you see any possibility that jose bench lukaku or alexis? I don't. Even if he do that( and he will not) there is still rashford who would be jose's first choice. It is not like shaw/young situation. Fight for your place and you will play. Be shit and you will not play.
So his future is to sign new contract and play 20 minutes per game and in cup matches. Other future is to wait next summer when his price will drop( last year of contract) and to go in chelsea,tottenham, arsenal or some other club and play. As much i want him here, i can't see it.

TheReligion

Abusive
Yes i did listen to jose. And that does not change anything what i said. I am not saying that he is better or worse player than alexis or lukaku and i am not saying that he is some kind of jose's victim. I am trying to be objective here. His future is to be on the bench and maybe play 20-25 minutes, regarding of situation. Today he didn't play because of one situation. Next time it would be another. Than he will play half an hour. Than maybe 20 minutes. Look, i will ask you one thing:
Do you see any possibility that jose bench lukaku or alexis? I don't. Even if he do that( and he will not) there is still rashford who would be jose's first choice. It is not like shaw/young situation. Fight for your place and you will play. Be shit and you will not play.
So his future is to sign new contract and play 20 minutes per game and in cup matches. Other future is to wait next summer when his price will drop( last year of contract) and to go in chelsea,tottenham, arsenal or some other club and play. As much i want him here, i can't see it.
I don't get your point? If Rashford performs like that Martial will take his place. That's what happened last season. The same with Mata.

JM has been very fair in that respect. If you perform your in. Don't see why that would change with Martial. He'd of started tonight if he hadn't of took longer on paternity.

Status
Not open for further replies.