g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Anthony Martial image 9

Anthony Martial France flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acole9

Outstanding
I couldn't care less if we sell him, I can see him having a career like Quaresma, bouncing about from league to league, club to club. He was good in the first part of last season but it's a squad game, he has no divine right to start every match, if a new player joins you fight for your place. He kicked up a stink in his second season allegedly because his shirt number was changed yet people still want to make excuses for him. He was rubbish in that match yesterday, totally disinterested and barely touched the ball.

AndyJ1985

Yeah he's a sulking prick who looks disinterested. But we have to ask ourselves why so many of our recent signings are failing here.

OldSchoolManc

Don’t even care if we swap him for Willian. His attitude is terrible.
He might shine for the odd game, but it’ll tail off once he thinks he done it all and reckons he's the bees knees again.
Now is the time. He is only going to lose value from this point.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
We need to sell him domestically; only way to get him shipped out in time for us to get a replacement and for a fair fee. Bayern/Dortmund aren't going to give us half of what Chelsea/Tottenham will and they'll push us as close to our deadline as possible as they don't have to abide by it; we need that replacement.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He can have a learning difficulty or whatever, doesn't mean We should keep paying his wages if He can't be arsed here. He's had a medical before and I'm sure as hell He's 'normal enough' to be a footballer. His attitude when He was a teenager shouldn't be an excuse of what's happening now. He's playing at the highest level and is no longer a teen. Jose's relationship with him isn't good, He looks like He doesn't want to be here - the only sensible options is to sell him before things get uglier and his price plummeted.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Chelsea wants Martial and United want Willian. Seems like a no brainer to me. Just make the swap already...
I actually think it is a good move for both teams. I'm not a huge fan of Mourinho but I respect the fact that he thinks about winning now as opposed to building for a future that may not involve him. I think Willian would massively improve United regardless if he's at the tail end of his prime.

Litch

I don't understand why United's management not sell him in the beginning of the window and buy a replacement asap. Just imagine the disappointment of Martial not being picked for the NT and France won the WC. He is so determined to leave and restart his career somewhere else.

I am just curious how Martial is valued at 70M. Is it based on his "potential" at age 22 or his output on the field in the past 3 seasons?
No idea and was a guesstimate. I guess if Everton have to pay 50m for a young Watford player, then Martial must be worth more than that. Transfer market is often based on what others are paying for players.....

Daressi

I don't understand why United's management not sell him in the beginning of the window and buy a replacement asap. Just imagine the disappointment of Martial not being picked for the NT and France won the WC. He is so determined to leave and restart his career somewhere else.

I am just curious how Martial is valued at 70M. Is it based on his "potential" at age 22 or his output on the field in the past 3 seasons?
It's based on past performances, perceived class and undoubted potential.

At age 22 those past performances could and most likely will be improved upon wherever he goes.

Also market conditions; if Richarlison is worth 44m then Martial is worth at least 3 times that.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I actually think it is a good move for both teams. I'm not a huge fan of Mourinho but I respect the fact that he thinks about winning now as opposed to building for a future that may not involve him. I think Willian would massively improve United regardless if he's at the tail end of his prime.
Willian for Martial plus Chelsea pays us 20m (mainly because of how young Martial is) and the deal is done. Both teams improve on the areas where they need improving but both teams also lose a very good player. Everyone is a winner...

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Willian for Martial plus Chelsea pays us 20m (mainly because of how young Martial is) and the deal is done. Both teams improve on the areas where they need improving but both teams also lose a very good player. Everyone is a winner...
Makes too much sense to happen.

R'hllor

People turning on him really hard, stuff like he wasted his chance to prove that he deserves a spot in starting XI :lol:. He could score 15 in a preseason and it would mean feck all to starting place. Him wanting to leave or not, people accusing him that he lacks a drive to fight for his position, like he stands a chance. If he leaves, he could turn mediocre somewhere else and never fulfill that potential to be really good or not but regardless, his future at United should never be placed in hands of JM.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Im tired of him now. I blame José for this, but as long as he doesn't produce when he is here, it doesn't matter if he is. Sick of all these talented players underperforming, not blaming José for that tho. Just Martial, because i think he has been handled wrongly (and he should be further) in his development.

Member 5225

People turning on him really hard, stuff like he wasted his chance to prove that he deserves a spot in starting XI :lol:. He could score 15 in a preseason and it would mean feck all to starting place. Him wanting to leave or not, people accusing him that he lacks a drive to fight for his position, like he stands a chance. If he leaves, he could turn mediocre somewhere else and never fulfill that potential to be really good or not but regardless, his future at United should never be placed in hands of JM.
Yeah.....not like he's the manager or anything!

Sb_16

Sure Martial may not like Mourinho, and as a neutral you can see why. As a supporter of either one, we can have our disagreement on who's at fault. What I don't get is how can some label Martial's attitude terrible and in the same sentence want Willian here knowing he was just as terrible if not more vocal towards Conte last season. And before someone says he's more proven, remember Martial also proved he belonged here at 19 and is more productive which is one of our weaknesses.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'm not saying or judging anything based on pre-season. Let's start the bashing or praising when the actual season starts. I've seen so many players who had a good season look completely disinterested or sloppy in pre-season. However, if he really wants out, then it should be done soon. I think it's unreasonable for United to ask for 100M, he's not worth that and hasn't shown to be worth that. I don't think any clubs will want him for that price, but what's the point of keeping a player who doesn't want to be here, if that's really the case?

Jonno

Mourinho has no choice with this really, sadly LVG forfeited the ability to plan for the next 5-10 years on United's behalf when he destroyed our squad with bad signings and bad sales.

Mourinho has improved the overall quality of our squad, but he needs reliable consistent performers, not hot and cold youngsters.

I'd like us to keep Martial and have him blossom here in an ideal world, but if all parties agree on the sale I won't be too fussed about it. I've not been overly impressed with him. He had a great start here but I took that with a pinch of salt just like others have exploded onto the scene down the years.

GM K

I couldn't care less if we sell him, I can see him having a career like Quaresma, bouncing about from league to league, club to club. He was good in the first part of last season but it's a squad game, he has no divine right to start every match, if a new player joins you fight for your place. He kicked up a stink in his second season allegedly because his shirt number was changed yet people still want to make excuses for him. He was rubbish in that match yesterday, totally disinterested and barely touched the ball.
Couldn't help but remember Cuadrado who happily handed his shirt number to Ronaldo and invited fans to vote to pick a new one for himself.

If a legend like Ronaldo or Zlatan joins my team as a young lad, they don't need to ask for my shirt number. I'll go and offer it. :lol:

Last edited:

GM K

Sure Martial may not like Mourinho, and as a neutral you can see why. As a supporter of either one, we can have our disagreement on who's at fault. What I don't get is how can some label Martial's attitude terrible and in the same sentence want Willian here knowing he was just as terrible if not more vocal towards Conte last season. And before someone says he's more proven, remember Martial also proved he belonged here at 19 and is more productive which is one of our weaknesses.
Good question.
The reality of football is that it is largely about right or wrong 'fits'. Some players just don't fit well with some managers, team mates or clubs. Take them elsewhere and they explode or their attitudes change significantly. That's why for me, the key in this Martial discussion is,what does HE want?

kevin hunt

Good question..
The reality of football is that it is largely about right or wrong 'fits'. Some players just don't fit well with some managers, team mates or clubs. Take them elsewhere and they explode or their attitudes change significantly. That's why for me, the key in this Martial discussion is,what does HE want?

Can you imagine the reaction here to the sale of Martial if he was English , remember the outcry at the sale of the great Daniel Welbeck :rolleyes:. Martial has the potential to be a superstar for the next 10 years while Mourinio will be gone by seasons end if not before

Trizy

Pogba wants out? Thats new.
From what the papers are saying. Apparently his agent offered him to a few clubs and now he wants to join Juventus cause Ronaldo.

Sorry for derailing the topic :lol:

Kostov

I hope reports of Woodward telling no to a potential Martial sale are true. I don’t want a KDB Mourinho situation to happen to us. Feck Jose, i’ve had enough.
If he had some plan or reasonable transfer target with long term gains, fair enough, but selling a potential world class player just to bring Willian or Perisic, he can do one.
People saying a swap deal with Chelsea would be ideal, are surely having a laugh. We would get just as inconsistent player without the potential Martial has. Yeah a great deal indeed.

Litch

Every lottery ticket has the potential to win, and occasionally you might win something but it's not life changing money. How long do you keep buying them hoping to win big? Martial has shown potential but nothing more than that. For me he's just one of those personalities that only plays to his potential when the stars are all aligned.

He's the kind of person that if someone parked in his spot at training Monday morning, he'd still be sulking on Saturday. He reminds me so much like Anelka and we have probably the worst manager to appease that kind of behaviour. If Jose isn't sucking up to Ronaldo, what chance does Martial have.....and rightly so.

If his ceiling is so high, prove it Martial by sitting Sanchez on the bench. Potential isn't going to achieve that though....

predator

Youth NITK
I have visions of us selling Martial and in a few years time see him become one of the best players in the world where he looks a completely different man.

The thing is though, should we not sell him purely for this reason even if he can't get to those heights for us? No.

I'd be willian to give him another season tbh. It's just too much potential to throw away without extreme consideration. Then again Mourinho is the man with the final say.

Litch

I have visions of us selling Martial and in a few years time see him become one of the best players in the world where he looks a completely different man.

The thing is though, should we not sell him purely for this reason even if he can't get to those heights for us? No.

I'd be willian to give him another season tbh. It's just too much potential to throw away without extreme consideration. Then again Mourinho is the man with the final say.
Like the typo 'I'd be Willian to give....'

Sir Scott McToMinay

I hope reports of Woodward telling no to a potential Martial sale are true. I don’t want a KDB Mourinho situation to happen to us. Feck Jose, i’ve had enough.
If he had some plan or reasonable transfer target with long term gains, fair enough, but selling a potential world class player just to bring Willian or Perisic, he can do one.
People saying a swap deal with Chelsea would be ideal, are surely having a laugh. We would get just as inconsistent player without the potential Martial has. Yeah a great deal indeed.
Perisic is a very effective player in what he does, big game player too. He would certainly improve us of he came here.
Martial has stagnated, he hasn’t been good for us in two years now.
Sure, you can go the easy route and blame Jose, but the fact is Jose has successfully managed, and improved young attacking players in his managerial career.
Maybe Martial and Jose are not a good fit, maybe Martial’s divorce has affected him to such a level, I really don’t know.
But if he wants to leave, there’s no point in keeping him here.
I don’t see his supposed world class potential coming to fruition in the current situation, personally.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Hmm

I hope it's sorted one way or another. Instinctively I want a young talented player to stay but if his heart's not in it let's cut our losses. You can't shake the feeling he's been mismanaged but his attitude hasn't looked (at least to the untrained eye :wenger:) like that of a hungry young player. Even if you believe he got screwed by the Sanchez signing can you honestly say he looked like he was busting his arse to get back on track when he got chances towards the end of last year or in this preseason?

Aloysius's Back 3

If he fails under a manager apart from Jose then sell him. Don't sell anyone with potential to be a good player under José's understanding.

Can only get the best out of a certain type of player. That certain type of player is also so so boring.

MUFC OK

I honestly wonder whether we aren't buying or selling Martial and others because of Mourinhos situation at the club. Its hard to see him here beyond this season to be honest and failing to finish top 4 would all but seal that.

Smores

Maybe the rest of us just expect a man utd player to put in the effort rather than sulk. Hardly outrageous, no matter how he's treated by the manager (and boo hoo he's not been dealt with that bad) he's playing for the shirt and the fans

R'hllor

Maybe the rest of us just expect a man utd player to put in the effort rather than sulk. Hardly outrageous, no matter how he's treated by the manager (and boo hoo he's not been dealt with that bad) he's playing for the shirt and the fans
Nothing to do with your expectation, its just reflection of relationship between manager and a player.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I honestly wonder whether we aren't buying or selling Martial and others because of Mourinhos situation at the club. Its hard to see him here beyond this season to be honest and failing to finish top 4 would all but seal that.
Seems like a poor strategy to me if so (the buying part). Everyone needs a decent LB, CB and RW in the team.

If we're going to change manager, get the team to a point where they can tinker and plan for the future or greatly improve us now in their own way, rather than struggle to sort the team out in 3 years because there's gaping holes.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He has fought for his place for 2 seasons. Not sure why people think he should stay and fight a losing battle. Its a shame really but its best for both parties if he leaves now.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A certain type of player always gets accused of being lazy and having no fight on here, due to posters lack of insight or critical thought, urge to lambast, and tendancy to exaggerate.

Based on 2 games where pretty much noone stood out no less. Gotta be more to do with the fact that he reportedly wants out, and even that is somewhat understandable if you actually look at the facts.

I get the feeling caftards (nowadays) aren't happy unless they are complaining about the future of the club, rinsing the players and manager, or enviously waxing lyrical about other teams. It's tedious as feck, and usually baseless.

Some of you need to get out more...

Status
Not open for further replies.