Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Because United's right side is poor that doesn't suggest that Martial is triple marked. What a silly assertion.
You're kind of taking my statement to its' extreme. Of course I didn't mean to imply it happens every time, but it happens a lot. He is our most effective left forward, and is operating on the only side we are capable of competently attacking due to lack of right wing. So naturally it means he's working in a congested zone, no?

Gasolin

You're kind of taking my statement to its' extreme. Of course I didn't mean to imply it happens every time, but it happens a lot. He is our most effective left forward, and is operating on the only side we are capable of competently attacking due to lack of right wing. So naturally it means he's working in a congested zone, no?
Probably, but it could also mean that we are over congesting that left zone on purpose because we are hoping for the other side full back to move up and try to cross or get the ball in the box.

Frank Grimes

Congested maybe but the point made was that he was been double and triple marked, a completely different thing altogether. Hate bullsh*t.

iluvoursolskjær

Probably, but it could also mean that we are over congesting that left zone on purpose because we are hoping for the other side full back to move up and try to cross or get the ball in the box.
Our width on that side depends solely on the full back, none of whom have a good cross so it's more necessity than design I feel.

Congested maybe but the point made was that he was been double and triple marked, a completely different thing altogether. Hate bullsh*t.
Bit pedantic, but apologies for causing such deep feelings.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I disagree about Martial not scoring or assisting doesn't matter. Martial is one of these players that drifts in and out of games, he's not an all action player and often (not always) if he is not scoring or assisting his effectiveness can be minimal.

Also this idea that Martial is double or triple marked is not accurate imo( not sure where that came from), we're not talking about Lionel Messi here.
Then how do you explain his high creativity stats then. He's usually the player who creates the most or among the best chance creator in the team alongside Pogba.

Pick any game and you'd usually find a proper chance created by Martial just on top of your head. He is indeed far more than goals and assists.

Threat + creativity alone makes him very valuable, something people seem to be ignoring.

Frank Grimes

Our width on that side depends solely on the full back, none of whom have a good cross so it's more necessity than design I feel.

Bit pedantic, but apologies for causing such deep feelings.
It's not pedntic, it's just calling out utter drivel. The minute you start making rubbish up it discredits the rest of your what you say. (most of which was not made up)

iluvoursolskjær

It's not pedntic, it's just calling out utter drivel. The minute you start making rubbish up it discredits the rest of your what you say. (most of which was not made up)
:lol:

In practical terms, whether a player works in a zone with 3 opposing players in it due to congestion, or if the 3 players happened to be in that zone due to being specifically designated to him, means exactly the same fecking thing in terms of how the situation plays out, what will be will be.

:houllier:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Of course he gets double (sometimes triple) teamed, are people watching the games or just the highlights and match report? :confused:

It is what it is, the team have to work around it.

Raven

Sanchez hasn't played under Solskjaer. Poor guy has been injured bar that one game which escapes me now. Sanchez has done a hell of a lot more in career than Martial, now he can shine under Solskjaer (not necessarily in place of Martial). Just hate the way a lot of people give Sanchez unnecessary stick just because he may threaten Martial's position.
Well, this discussion was based on one poster above saying that Sanchez should replace him in the lineup. Sanchez deserves a crack, but not at Martial or Rashfords expense. What Sanchez has achieved is irrelevant, what he has produced in a United shirt is what's important, and that's almost nothing.

And just touching on you're point above, that Martial isn't double and triple marked, I suggest you start watching our games (at least a little more closely).

Frank Grimes

Well, this discussion was based on one poster above saying that Sanchez should replace him in the lineup. Sanchez deserves a crack, but not at Martial or Rashfords expense. What Sanchez has achieved is irrelevant, what he has produced in a United shirt is what's important, and that's almost nothing.

And just touching on you're point above, that Martial isn't double and triple marked, I suggest you start watching our games (at least a little more closely).
None of our players have achieved anything in the last 2 years. Wouldn't single out any one player for that.

Triple marked, I do chuckle when I read such nonsense. If this was true it would highlight a serious flaw in his movement as he would have to be running in to traffic otherwise we'd have 2 players free. (It's not though)

Raven

None of our players have achieved anything in the last 2 years. Wouldn't single out any one player for that.

Triple marked, I do chuckle when I read such nonsense. If this was true it would highlight a serious flaw in his movement as he would have to be running in to traffic otherwise we'd have 2 players free. (It's not though)
Im not going to bother commenting further on the marking debate. I dont think that is questionable at all.

To b honest, I don't know why I'm letting myself get drawn into this discussion. If you can't see that Martial has been significantly the better player than Sanchez in the last 18 months, I think we have fundamentally different views of football.

Canagel

Sanchez hasn't played under Solskjaer. Poor guy has been injured bar that one game which escapes me now. Sanchez has done a hell of a lot more in career than Martial, now he can shine under Solskjaer (not necessarily in place of Martial). Just hate the way a lot of people give Sanchez unnecessary stick just because he may threaten Martial's position.
You don't understand. Sanchez competition isn't with Martial, nor are people worried because Martial might get threatened. Why? You only have to look at their performances in the last year in the same postion. Sanchez will be looked towards to fill the gap on the RW/RF or the false 9. Because that's where the room for improvement is and where the hole in our attack is. Trying to fix something that isn't broken is the mistake we already made last year and derailed our season. You want to make that mistake again?

Frank Grimes

You don't understand. Sanchez competition isn't with Martial, nor are people worried because Martial might get threatened. Why? You only have to look at their performances in the last year in the same postion. Sanchez will be looked towards to fill the gap on the RW/RF or the false 9. Because that's where the room for improvement is and where the hole in our attack is. Trying to fix something that isn't broken is the mistake we already made last year and derailed our season. You want to make that mistake again?
You misunderstand my point. I don't think that, I'm saying that some Martial FC (though I hate that phrase) fans do and treat Sanchez horribly as a result. That is not on imo. As i stated in a post a bit above I hope both are great for us in the coming months, it's not a Martial v Sanchez thing, leave that for Goldbridge and his followers.

staniswin

He’s been fine, just hasn’t scored. This is opposed to Sanchez who has put in so many good performances you could count them on one hand, at best. That with the fact he’s just back from injury, again, means I’d hope he’s on the bench at most.
Nope ,stats shown that Sanchez actually created more chances per 90 minutes. He puts in quality through ball more often.

kidbob

Pointed at the badge to celebrate. Here's hoping. He has outrageous ability, just sometimes needs to remember this and drive at players like Ronnie used to. Finishing, dribbling, passing, vision- he really is stupidly talented. Also under Ole his running off the ball has definitely improved. Really need him to sign that contract.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Glad he got his goal. Apart from that he was his usual dozy self. One of the few players Ole hasn't been able to wake up.

Andersons Dietician

Another who had a sloppy 2 minutes spell where he seemed to get carried away with his own ability and lost the ball twice in quick succession. After that he looked a threat but ball fell to exactly the right person for the 3rd. Never in doubt.

Devil may care

Had a daft 90 seconds where he sloppily lost the ball with needless showboating, but was clinical when the chance arose.

ash_86

Well taken goal but need to impose himself in the game. Was poor at times.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
He gave the ball away stupidly very early on.

Would've been rightly slandered had he not scored a goal even though he off skinned Arsenal's defenders a few times.

He's such an odd player to place in terms of how you rate his performances and what you expect them to be.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Absolutely love him. He is a lethal finisher, he doesn't miss chances like that ever.

DavelinaJolie

It's a cliché... he is a very streaky player but he has so much quality in him that he can play below average and still make a match-winning contribution. I just want to see him play with more consistency.

InfiniteBoredom

A bit sub par overall compare to previous performance, nicely taken goal.

Now that the drought is over he’ll probably go on a streak.

Status
Not open for further replies.