Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Didn't seem to let Mourinho's comments at the weeknd get to him, looked lively when he came on and nearly got us a penalty.
He's playing for a new manager. The guy has a brain.
Knew what he was doing when he re-entered talks over a contract.
Can't wait to see him under an attacking coach. So happy Ed kept him.

stevoc

Was zoning in and out - mainly because of a poor stream - but I thought he looked lively. I just wish he'd get a run of games. The most he's got under José is 4 I believe, and he was very good in 3 of said games before being moved to the right. There's nothing to lose at this point to not try it.
Not much chance of that under Mourinho, he has his favourites who can string a few stinkers in a row and still get picked. But if Martial doesn't play out of his skin when selected he's back on the bench.

Red_toad

Nice little cameo, looked a threat. Just a shame both he and Rashford are vying for the left wing spot. Both of them look far more effective than Sanchez. Jose needs to earn his corn and work out a balanced side than can give us both Rashford and Martial in the starting 11.

Devil may care

He's playing for a new manager. The guy has a brain.
Knew what he was doing when he re-entered talks over a contract.
Can't wait to see him under an attacking coach. So happy Ed kept him.
I hope you're right mate, his attitude is good to see and I hate the way Mourinho has convinced a section of our fans to turn on him and Pogba, like you say I can't wait to see both under an attacking manager and in an environment where there aren't all these personal feuds being played out publicly.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Not much chance of that under Mourinho, he has his favourites who can string a few stinkers in a row and still get picked. But if Martial doesn't play out of his skin when selected he's back on the bench.
Seems to be the case, sadly. I mean, I'd get it if we were in good form or our other attackers were putting in good displays, but neither is happening and it doesn't look like that will change anytime soon.

I know it was only a small sample, but you'd hope José would look back to when he gave Martial a run in the team, and how Martial did deliver, and give him the chance to do it again because, if afforded the luxury of starting a few games in a row, I believe he'd offer more than what anyone of our other attackers offer.

stevoc

Seems to be the case, sadly. I mean, I'd get it if we were in good form or our other attackers were putting in good displays, but neither is happening and it doesn't look like that will change anytime soon.

I know it was only a small sample, but you'd hope José would look back to when he gave Martial a run in the team, and how Martial did deliver, and give him the chance to do it again because, if afforded the luxury of starting a few games in a row, I believe he'd offer more than what anyone of our other attackers offer.
Yeah i wish we would give him a run in the side, and give Sanchez a run on the right. Rest Lukaku for a few games and try Rashford up front. See if those 3 can form some understanding.

It's worth a try it's can't be worse than what we have been doing with all the chopping and changing which obviously isn't working for any of our attacking players.

Web of Bissaka

Not bad, but was expecting more. Should've started, or at least came on way earlier.

Martial and Shaw is so much better than Rashford and Shaw, on the left. Better understanding and combinations.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Nice little cameo, looked a threat. Just a shame both he and Rashford are vying for the left wing spot. Both of them look far more effective than Sanchez. Jose needs to earn his corn and work out a balanced side than can give us both Rashford and Martial in the starting 11.
Them two competing for that one spot is completely fair and encouraged tbh. The beginning of last season that friendly rivalry resulted in us having 7 games where we scored 4 goals or more. Whenever the other would get subbed on, they didn't care if we were 2 or 3 goals up, they were desperate to score and as such forced us to stay on the front foot. The problem with Sanchez is that this even ground was removed. There was no logic in Sanchez's prolonged position in the team and no logical rotation of his spot for rashford/martial. Martial and Rashford can't both play in the same current line up because neither of them is a right winger and until Lukaku gets benched, neither of them is playing up front.

Ashley R1+O

Much prefer him in the 20 minute cameo off the bench. He can be dangerous if he really takes this on and grabs the bull by the horns. It condenses his effectiveness into a nice small window where we can pump him the ball up against tired defenses and he can get his runs in and make things happen in the final third. Could be a handy super sub for this lot.

Mcking

I'm aware of that Sanchez was 10 times the player at Martial's age.
Sanchez never had the honour of playing under Mourinho at Martial's age. Have you seen our Sanchez? Yea, that's Sanchez under Mourinho. He'd be much worse and would perpetually struggle to get in the team if he was still young.

Sylar

Can see him starting maybe 2 of our next 7 games lol. Would be nice if he had a run of 5-6 games, and was allowed to grow and improve. Hes now 22 and turning 23 end of the year. He seems more on the up than Sanchez who is on the way down. I cant see Sanchez getting better (and hes at his worst) whilst Martial can clearly get better (but doesnt seem favoured by this manager).

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
One thing I’m puzzled by is the continued fetishisation of Martial, especially at OT, in direct contrast to our other forwards options. The glass is always half empty with Sanchez, Rashford, Lukaku and Lingard, but Martials always seems to be half full in the eyes of many.

Last night was a good example where Sanchez was really lively in the second half and looking most likely to be involved in any United goal. His substitution for Martial was gleeted with glee by many. Martial then did his usual one dimensional consistent failing of cutting inside, but was still responded to positively. Don’t get it.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
One thing I’m puzzled by is the continued fetishisation of Martial, especially at OT, in direct contrast to our other forwards options. The glass is always half empty with Sanchez, Rashford, Lukaku and Lingard, but Martials always seems to be half full in the eyes of many.

Last night was a good example where Sanchez was really lively in the second half and looking most likely to be involved in any United goal. His substitution for Martial was gleeted with glee by many. Martial then did his usual one dimensional consistent failing of cutting inside, but was still responded to positively. Don’t get it.
The OT crowd responds well to a player who takes on his defenders. Thats the difference, Sanchez wasn't doing well actually, he was just not as shit as usual. I didn't think Martial played well either, but we did look more dangerous when he was on. I think its because we need that threat from at least one player in the side.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

And then Martial wen't on the outside and nearly won a penalty. Got a free kick that Rashford *nearly* scored from.

Martial did more in 2 minutes than Sanchez managed in 75, THAT is why we like Martial, he gets bums off seats and excitement.

UncleBob

Eh, what ?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Eh, what ?
Second half I thought Sanchez was our most influential player. First half it was Pogba and no-one else coming close, but Sanchez second half was playing well. Movement was sharp, we finally stretched it down the right too, and he had one of the better chances that he completely fluffed.

If the best we can say about Martial was he won a free kick on the edge of the box in a fairly undangerous area, then there was not much to write home about again. Zero shots, zero chances created. It was a classic Martial: looks talented on the left, but show him into traffic and job done. Martial is the like French equivalent of Ross Barkley: no development and still shit decision making and end product. Because he’ll dribble into traffic all day though, people will give him more credit than due.

Check out Sanchez’s stats compared to Martial. He gets himself shooting chances far more frequently and creates for his teammates far more often. Successful dribbles are pretty close too. Give both equal gametime and Sanchez will deliver a whole lot more than Martial. It would be a massive fluke for that not to happen.

Last edited:

UncleBob

Second half I thought Sanchez was our most influential player. First half it was Pogba and no-one else coming close, but Sanchez second half was playing well. Movement was sharp, we finally stretched it down the right too, and he had one of the better chances that he completely fluffed.

If the best we can say about Martial was he won a free kick on the edge of the box in a fairly undangerous area, then there was not much to write home about again. Zero shots, zero chances created. It was a classic Martial: looks talented on the left, but show him into traffic and job done. Martial is the like French equivalent of Ross Barkley: no development and still shit decision making and end product. Because he’ll dribble into traffic all day though, people will give him more credit than due.

Check out Sanchez’s stats compared to Martial. He gets himself shooting chances far more frequently and creates for his teammates far more often. Successful dribbles are pretty close too. Give both equal gametime and Sanchez will deliver a whole lot more than Martial. It would be a massive fluke for that not to happen.
It's somewhat amusing, and at the same time absurd, that you complain about glass half empty / half full and then go on to do exactly what you're complaining about, only the other way around. Freekick from a great position is suddenly "fairly undangerous", while Sanchez (second lowest overall rating on here, generally one of the lowest rated players by newspapers) was our most influential player in the second half, and was playing well. Oddly enough you seem to include completely fluffing a chance as something positive.

I don't think Sanchez was all that bad, nor do i think he was good. You could see he wanted to make things happen, but apart from a great cross to Rashford nothing really worked for him. For me, it's a bit far fetched to suggest he was our most influential player and that he was playing well. For me, i would've still preferred keeping him and subbing off Lukaku instead, who was easily our worst player yesterday

In terms of Martial, not sure what people expect when a player comes on with about 14 mins remaining and we've gone into full desperation mode by sticking Fellaini up top as a target man. He tried to get involved, kept the width and he made himself available for passes. It was neither this or that, but the intent was there.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean with the last one. In terms of equal time on the pitch: Sanchez has 333 mins in the Premier League, started 4 matches and substituted on 1, Martial has 177 mins, started 2 matches and subbed on 2 times.

Last season, after he arrived in january, in the PL: started 12 matches, on the bench for 1 match: Total of 1049 mins, average time on pitch when playing = 87,4 mins.. End result was 2 goals and 3 assists

Martial: Played in 30 matches, 18 from the start and 12 as a sub, total of 1582 mins. Average time on pitch: 52,7 mins. 9 goals and 5 assists.

Sanchez has played a lot, maybe a lot more than he should have based on his performances, and he's been miles away from delivering a whole lot more than anyone.

Frank Grimes

Martial hasn't played a decent game since January. Has he scored a goal even? That's a disgrace. Definitely first out when a new manager comes in, we will never progress pandering to mental weaklings like him.

Cassidy

Martial hasn't played a decent game since January. Has he scored a goal even? That's a disgrace. Definitely first out when a new manager comes in, we will never progress pandering to mental weaklings like him.
:lol::lol::lol:

Frank Grimes

Good post.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
:lol:

Give both equal game time? That’s pretty funny considering Sanchez has been basically stealing a living since he took over Martial’s halfway through last season based on his name and 0 merit. The conclusion? Martial was scoring or assisting a goal per game and was stringing together Player of the Month performances while Sanchez was absolutely dreadful 9.5 times out of 10.

As it stands, Sanchez has had far more time and leniency to play through his bad form, but it’s quickly turning out that the player is simply past it and the warning signs were there from his last season at Arsenal.

It’s really quite something that you can be so taken aback by the support for Martial and then come out with that post for Sanchez; fascinating even. :houllier:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Except our is the two Martial is the one who has actually performed in United shirt. Who knew life was full of so many flukes!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Give both equal game time? That’s pretty funny considering Sanchez has been basically stealing a living since he took over Martial’s halfway through last season based on his name and 0 merit. The conclusion? Martial was scoring or assisting a goal per game and was stringing together Player of the Month performances while Sanchez was absolutely dreadful 9.5 times out of 10.

As it stands, Sanchez has had far more time and leniency to play through his bad form, but it’s quickly turning out that the player is simply past it and the warning signs were there from his last season at Arsenal.

It’s really quite something that you can be so taken aback by the support for Martial and then come out with that post for Sanchez; fascinating even. :houllier:
Martial may end up an average player with a nothing career. But his treatment last season when Sanchez clearly affected him in a big way. He went from having a really good season with excellent stats to being terrible and wanting to leave. Now he could obviously be in the wrong for feeling disgruntled post Sanchez' arrival but it says a lot when both the new guy AND the one performing well turn to shit.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think it's kind of funny that amidst all of this hes probably still been one of our best performing attacking players (after pogba), yet they both constantly get shat on by Mourinho. Cant wait to see him under the next manager.

JohnnyKills

I was referring to league. He hasn't scored a goal and can't remember any good performances. He really has been dreadful. I used to be fan but can't excuse not only a player who hasn't performed over such a long period but one who doesn't try.

OL29

The fact that Martial can't displace a so poor Sanchez further enforces how bad he really has been. This is a guy we paid 55m for remember.
So you'd happily reward Rashford who's been equally as bad as Martial in their (limited) game time since Sanchez joined yet Martial's not good enough? The double standard with youth players on this forum is baffling, if Martial was the local youth product and Rashford was the big money signing I guarantee you'd be singing a different tune.

Frank Grimes

So you'd happily reward Rashford who's been equally as bad as Martial in their (limited) game time since Sanchez joined yet Martial's not good enough? The double standard with youth players on this forum is baffling, if Martial was the local youth product and Rashford was the big money signing I guarantee you'd be singing a different tune.
Nobody mentioned Rashford. This is a Martial thread and whenever the undeniable truth that Martial has been abysmal for 9 months is spoken the only response is that he is as good as x or y. Martial has been rubbish and doesn't even try at times, the guy has got a hell of a lot more slack than any other player I can remember in 30 years and it's not justified. He really is not that good.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The fact that Martial can't displace a so poor Sanchez further enforces how bad he really has been. This is a guy we paid 55m for remember.
That fact that Sanchez hasn't been displaced for the sole reason of his name, salary, and past reputation instead of his actual production further enforces how your bias can be blinding to the reality that Martial has already shown multiple times and multiple seasons he's a much more productive player for United.

Cassidy

Look non of the attackers are playing well, but can we just stop telling lies to further an agenda

Status
Not open for further replies.