Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirScholes

He just loves scoring goals, that’s a fantastic quality to have
Drives right at the goal with runs on and off the ball and is a constant threat for 90 minutes

Rossa

Lazy and attitude are two of the most generic, untrue and overall dogshiit excuses that were ever used to criticize Martial. And it all stems from Mourinho's acolytes.
No. He plays with much more intensity now. Previously, Rashford was mych more hardworking. Now I doubt I could tell sho presses more or sprints more from watching the game.

Funny thing is, I’m not criticizing him. I love him as a player, but he has clearly improved some aspects of his game.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I’m chuffed for him. We all know he has the capabilities to be world class and he frustrated us with inconsistent performances. The form he has shown this season is extremely pleasing and we have a terrific attack for the next five years on our hands.

Exciting times.

Tiber

He is so fecking good. And it's not just the goals, his all around play is great.

He is back to being the exciting, ambitious, confident (and happy!) striker he was when he first signed for United, before Jose tried to suck out his soul.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He wasn’t the same for lvg as he is now. He is much more mature now. Did you really watch Monaco that much?

why is development bad? He has clearly evolved as a player.
I watch almost every game from Monaco and of course he developed, I'm simply saying that he has the same style, his strength are the same but better. We are not talking about a different player but a better version of his younger self. The one thing that has really changed is that he has more diversity in terms of finishing and his left foot is a lot better.

Fracture90

No. He plays with much more intensity now. Previously, Rashford was mych more hardworking. Now I doubt I could tell sho presses more or sprints more from watching the game.

Funny thing is, I’m not criticizing him. I love him as a player, but he has clearly improved some aspects of his game.
He always exhibited pretty much the same stuff he's exhibiting now, only difference being that in this current setup he's a main and not a side piece.

He literally did everything before that he's doing now, but for some reason people feel the need to exaggerate stuff when they try to praise his game.

Delano

I'll never forgot those first games at United when we played Liverpool, Southampton (Remember him having Van Dijk on toast?) and was playing up front. I was so impressed by his hold up play, change of pace and calmness in front of goal. Then, he moved over to LW when Rashford came into the team, and we didn't see that player for a long time... Although, glimpses were still there.

Now, I've criticised Ole since he's come in, but I think he deserves a massive amount of credit for Martials development and current form.

Rashford was seen as the natural ST replacement for Lukaku but Ole backed Martial, and for good reason. Martial is so much better at the fundamentals of being a proper ST, in terms of his hold play, back to goal play and calmness in the 6 yard box and Ole saw that, backed him to deliver and he has. Rashford is now excelling on the left, using his pace and creativity to change the dynamic of the side.

Ole made the right choice and both are now evolving into brilliant players, playing in their best positions.

RooneyLegend

The brother is the truth. He's playing the best football at the club. Shades of post surgery Luis Ronaldo. His ability to turn and drive at defenders is gold dust in the sport.

Grande

Because the role is different, that's what Ole ask him to do. Under Mourinho our strikers weren't used the same way and he wasn't used a striker anyway.
I'm not sure if what you argue is that Martial has had no development in his role understanding as a striker this season or not? If so, while finding the polarized discussions about him tedious, I'll have to disagree. I see big steps from him going by my own impressions, having long longed for him to take more initiative in making runs (the striker must, after all, must make the initiative much more often than the AM or winger, the pass should come after the run to.be most effective).

Clearly it is a big help being trusted in the position (given the 9 back etc), having the team play more to your strengths as Solskjær has, and having a player like Bruno always looking for, and trying for, your runs. Still, having watched Rashford and Martial swap around the striker and left wing positions, I think it has always been the case of Rashford showing himself much more proactively with making runs, and also having been more aware and active as a first defender than Anthony. It has to me been a relative weakness of Martial, an opportunity for development for a young player, but I've had doubts.

It was clear I believe from interviews tbat Ole has had belief in his abilities, but also been frustrated at times with his applicacion of them. I have never thought him a lazy player, rather, lacking in a the ki d of confidence that makes Rashford always eager to hunt every little opportunity to improve. While I think Rashford should be trusted to explore and sometimes be reigned in, Martial has struck me more as a player who needs a lot of support and trust, but also quite clear instructions and training regarding tactical tools like initiating runs and where. To me it seems like Ole has understood this and has been working on it since at least last years season end. And that Martial has been working well for over a year now and his continually improving even now, because of it. Long may it continue.

The_Midfielder

He already had a pretty good understanding with Pogba and Rashford .. I am surprised how good is his understanding with Bruno..

Red00012

You want to know something, he really isnt doing anything different than what he was these past few years. The only difference is we have better players around him who can get him more involved. Its how you get the best out of your star players.

Undecided between him and rashford for MOTM.
I disagree, he’s got much stronger .
His off the ball play has improved dramatically and the laziness he’s always had is now gone.

Mr Smith

He's brilliant. So clinical and so creative as well, started so many attacking moves for us.

Want him to shoot more though.

Chinchy98

Brilliant player, this is a striker who didn't look out of place playing LW, yet he is another level up at CF as we have been crying out for. Hold up play, chance creation, finishing, the lad is mustard. I'd even like to see him at #10 (still see him as a #9) picking the ball up on the turn and driving at the opposing defenders. I think were another 6 months of performances like this from genuine WC bracket

Raven

Kinda repeating myself but I'm.not even sure Pogba's our best player. He is a fecking monster. So good in every phase of the game. I agree with almost everyone here, been really good all season, been absolutely world class since the restart.

Andersons Dietician

So always known he was fast but he looked ridiculously strong and powerful tonight. There was just a turn of pace there he doesn’t seem to use that often. He looked unstoppable at times when he went at them and there was a run he did and I’ve no idea how he squeezed the ball out but he did.

Thought overall he was excellent today. Made himself available, worked his socks off, linked play and some of the touches were drool worthy. There was one where he puts it over his head and goes at them but the control was so good. Did something similar last game.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
God can you imagine watching him do this for another team if Mourinho had had his way

Adamsk7

Kinda repeating myself but I'm.not even sure Pogba's our best player. He is a fecking monster. So good in every phase of the game. I agree with almost everyone here, been really good all season, been absolutely world class since the restart.
Pogba isn’t as good as Martial OR Rashford, IMO.
Doesn’t matter though, great to have them all!

Andersons Dietician

The brother is the truth. He's playing the best football at the club. Shades of post surgery Luis Ronaldo. His ability to turn and drive at defenders is gold dust in the sport.
You know something was reluctant to use the name because El Phenom is the best forward I’ve ever seen but yeah there were shades of him tonight. The pace, power and control. People just bouncing off him as well. Just made me think of him.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Lazy and attitude are two of the most generic, untrue and overall dogshiit excuses that were ever used to criticize Martial. And it all stems from Mourinho's acolytes.
No they weren't. They were two perfectly acceptable criticisms. His workrate has markedly improved, as has his attitude. That's more than likely because of the change manager, but I except a player to give their all whether they like their boss or not. Commitment is a prerequisite for playing at our club.

Now we are seeing a player that is willing to press, work hard for the team, and fight for every ball. He was always been supremely talented; now he has the vigour to go alongside it, now he is the striker that can lead the line for the next 7/8 years.

Eddy_JukeZ

I always felt like he lacked intensity in his game and he was too lax.

He is playing with such vigor and fire lately that it's really amazing to watch.

Long may it continue.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
No they weren't. They were two perfectly acceptable criticisms. His workrate has markedly improved, as has his attitude. That's more than likely because of the change manager, but I except a player to give their all whether they like their boss or not. Commitment is a prerequisite for playing at our club.

Now we are seeing a player that is willing to press, work hard for the team, and fight for every ball. He was always been supremely talented; now he has the vigour to go alongside it, now he is the striker that can lead the line for the next 7/8 years.
He's been plenty committed, had about one of the worst manager he could land on for his development, and still came out the other side saving his ass for a few extra months longer when no one else on the team besides Pogba was capable of doing anything remotely positive on the field. Players with no commitment, no heart, and/or a bad attitude don't do that.

He's definitely improved his pressing, but he was already doing that in the Mourinho days, and I feel his intensity is improved by the nature of his role as a CF. He's playing the role he wants, it's not quite as taxing as playing on the wing so he's able to manage his energy a bit more, and he's making more runs because they'll actually have a chance at being rewarded with a pass now.

It always bothered me when people would say he never made runs in the past, he did, they just would never get found. He's averaging about 2 more runs per game now than he did in the Mourinho days, because with Bruno, Pogba, and now Rashford there's a chance it won't just be a waste of energy.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Everyone will always give that extra 5% in a situation they are happy in. Mourinho treated Martial like shit, that's the reality. He demotivated Martial pretty much with everything that happened, maybe it gave him that bit more hunger in the end to prove him wrong now but he could have handled him much better and it's hard to blame Martial for being a bit too relaxed if he's constantly criticized/treated harshly/used out of position or whatever else. Ole trusted him, and Martial is repaying him and playing like he can and clearly loves to play for him. Mourinho used to be someone that players always said they would run through a brick wall for. It's never simply enough to be part of a club you love, but the relationship with the manager has to be good too to bring out your best form.

Mindhunter

He has really stepped up a level or two. I really like this new clinical Martial. Earlier I never had the confidence in his finishing but he has definitely put all concerns to rest. He has become a more lethal version of himself and looks really motivated and committed.

Also, I think Rashford's success this season has created a healthy competition between the two of them. When players around you are playing well, you tend to benefit from that as well.

Many time in the past I feared that Martial would probably never be able to fulfill his talent but I was wrong. This season he has been phenomenal. I wouldn't replace him for any other player at the moment.

Morpheus 7

Been incredible since lockdown. Became a real team player too, delighted. Him and Marcus could be the difference to get us over the line.

RC89

If he managed to get a couple goals with his head he'd be the complete striker. Couldn't be happier with him right now. Night and day from where he was under Jose. It's like the Old martial, but with hold up play now.

Baxter

Hope he can make it to 20 league goals. There’s not many better all round strikers than him at the moment. I didn’t buy into the laziness or lack of intensity arguments but he definitely seems to be playing on another level now.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Changing my opinion on him. In a terrible back to goal side he's awful and sluggish. When he's in a side wanting to create and score he's lethal. Theres a world class player in there bursting out.
Who’s actually good in a side that’s terrible? Maybe a GK or a defender?

And I hope nobody’s kidding themselves, there isn’t another striker in the league playing better right now. On this form he’s a top 5 striker in the world, it’s frightening

InfiniteBoredom

You know something was reluctant to use the name because El Phenom is the best forward I’ve ever seen but yeah there were shades of him tonight. The pace, power and control. People just bouncing off him as well. Just made me think of him.
I made that comparison all the way back in 16-18 and people waved me off, comparing him to Messi instead due to his dribbling skill (which tbh I can see where they came from).

Status
Not open for further replies.