6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

If he managed to get a couple goals with his head he'd be the complete striker. Couldn't be happier with him right now. Night and day from where he was under Jose. It's like the Old martial, but with hold up play now.
He's knocked in 2 headers this season. I've been Martial FC all along, but he's kicked it up a notch, he's world class right now.

Raven

Who’s actually good in a side that’s terrible? Maybe a GK or a defender?

And I hope nobody’s kidding themselves, there isn’t another striker in the league playing better right now. On this form he’s a top 5 striker in the world, it’s frightening
It's what weve been starved of since his debut season. An aggressive and happy Martial has the potential to be the best in the world.

Quinzaine

Has Martial bulked up a bit? Esp. since the break, he has been dominating defenders even with his back to the goal. Its becoming more and more clear with every match that he can properly lead the line for us.
Other way around. Today he was the fastest I've seen him for two or three years, I'm almost certain he was heavier before the break. I remember seeing pictures of him during lockdown and thinking he looks far leaner. My guess is we bulked him up to cope with the physicality of being a striker but the problem is not only is he naturally quite strong but it came at the expense of his speed, agility and balance (loss of balance in particular made him lose the ball when holding it up and made people question whether his 'hold-up' play is good enough). Now he's lighter and combining his natural strength with quicker feet, a proper burst of speed and balance - defenders therefore struggle to get close to him or the ball which gives the impression that he's 'stronger' but it's more an improvement in his physical conditioning overall through losing weight (in my opinion of course :D).

He was immense today by the way, it's scary to think this is his first season as an out and out striker for us.

Raven

Other way around. Today he was the fastest I've seen him for two or three years, I'm almost certain he was heavier before the break. I remember seeing pictures of him during lockdown and thinking he looks far leaner. My guess is we bulked him up to cope with the physicality of being a striker but the problem is not only is he naturally quite strong but it came at the expense of his speed, agility and balance (loss of balance in particular made him lose the ball when holding it up and made people question whether his 'hold-up' play is good enough). Now he's lighter and combining his natural strength with quicker feet, a proper burst of speed and balance - defenders therefore struggle to get close to him or the ball which gives the impression that he's 'stronger' but it's more an improvement in his physical conditioning overall through losing weight (in my opinion of course :D).

He was immense today by the way, it's scary to think this is his first season as an out and out striker for us.
I would say that I thought Martial's hold up in January up till lock down was off. I'm not sure if it's to do with weight or physicality bit he's been a monster in every sense since lockdown.

jesperjaap

Stark difference with Martial at the moment is he looks happy, he is finally beign consistently played in the right position as a striker and he has a manager that believes in him. He needs to kick on with his consistency and then finally we have the player it looked like we signed.

Revan

Assumptionman
He is good. He might be the best player actually. His hold up play has become excellent, making defenders focus on him and creating spaces for others.

His link-up play with Rashford is top-notch. This trio in the attack has the potential to become so good (in fact, it is already so good, and should become even better). Is it too much to expect 80 goals from them next season?

PaulScholes99

Martial after the lockdown is by far the best version of him we have ever seen. Incredibly good at the moment and very good understanding with Rashford, Pogba and Bruno. I am really impressed, right now he seems to be able to do anything he wants.

InfiniteBoredom

He is good. He might be the best player actually. His hold up play has become excellent, making defenders focus on him and creating spaces for others.

His link-up play with Rashford is top-notch. This trio in the attack has the potential to become so good (in fact, it is already so good, and should become even better). Is it too much to expect 80 goals from them next season?
We can never know for sure if Greenwood can keep up his conversion rate next season, but between the 3 of them + Sancho anything less than 80 would be a tad disappointing.

Revan

Assumptionman
We can never know for sure if Greenwood can keep up his conversion rate next season, but between the 3 of them + Sancho anything less than 80 would be a tad disappointing.
Oh yeah, if we sign Sancho, then sure, we really should expect 80+ from them. I mean these three have already 60 goals, with both Martial and Rashford having had some injuries, and Greenwood being a substitute until a few matches ago. And we have another 5-9 matches to play.

If they continue progressing and don't get injured, even without Sancho they should reach 80. With Sancho, target a century!

MadMike

The brother is the truth. He's playing the best football at the club. Shades of post surgery Luis Ronaldo. His ability to turn and drive at defenders is gold dust in the sport.
I love Martial as much as anyone, but that's borderline heretic.

It's easy to forget that R9 (post two knee surgeries and 3 lost years) went to Madrid and in 4 seasons and 164 games banged in 115 goals. Also won a Ballon D'Or and a WC with Brazil while being the tournament's top scorer. Even with the diminished speed, agility and bulkier frame... his movement, predatorial instinct and finishing were second to none. Martial has ways to go before he can be mentioned in the same breath as post-surgery Ronaldo.

Greck

Imagine the Willian swap went through...
When Jose was pushing for that swap everyone but he and his fans could see it from a mile away it would be another Salah/KDB situation

meamth

Hated the journalist's agenda today asking question to Ole that Martial could be invisible in a game and then pop out to give a moment of brilliance like that.

Ole responded with an annoyed face "I saw martial the whole game, I know what he was doing".

Feck those agendas saying he has no impact to the team as a whole.

Quinzaine

Surely this kind of stuff is better than what Bobby No Goals is doing who's getting hyped up as the most complete forward in the league
Make no mistake, this performance is absolutely clear of what Firmino is offering nowadays. I think our natural hesitancy as fans of a club that's been through the trenches in the last 6-7 years means we are reluctant to accept how good a player is/has been to avoid potential disappointment. 9 goals and 2 assists in his last 11 games in the league. He's levelled up since lockdown, he's now a monster player. But even looking at the bigger picture, in the second round of the league games (the reverse fixtures after the halfway point) which include periods where Pogba, Bruno, Rashford were all unavailable for large parts he's on 13 goals with 2 games remaining. That kind of goalscoring over both halves of a season will get you 26-28 goals in the league alone. When you consider he brings so much more than goals it becomes evident that a (current level) Firmino comparison does no justice to the way Martial playing the way he is right now .

Im cautiously optimistic, fingers crossed he keeps this up but this is far more than a purple patch, it's a natural and gradual growth of a super talent through a combination of proper coaching, top physical conditioning and the introduction of top players to play alongside him. Credit to him and credit to Ole and the rest of the staff.

Reactions: roonster09

RC89

He's knocked in 2 headers this season. I've been Martial FC all along, but he's kicked it up a notch, he's world class right now.
Bloody hell. Didn't even remember. There you go, the complete striker.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He was much more exciting to watch on the LW running at players constantly. But my god he is doing a great job now. Getting really stuck in. Using his body well to hold up the ball and scoring goals now. Long may it continue.

Kentish

Really hope he can hit the 25 goal mark this season and then go on to be the 30+ a season goal striker we need for next season and beyond. Looking pretty promising given his form since project restart, class player!

criticalanalysis

I think the most impressive thing is how 'selfless' he's become with his lay offs, hold up play and willingness to pass it off.

I'm surprised he hasn't tore Bruno one after his wastefulness tonight.

Lj82

If he managed to get a couple goals with his head he'd be the complete striker. Couldn't be happier with him right now. Night and day from where he was under Jose. It's like the Old martial, but with hold up play now.
He already has.

Against Chelsea

Against Norwich

One thing to note is that we don't typically play with many high crosses in, so we won't have that many headed goals in the first place

E-mal

Hated the journalist's agenda today asking question to Ole that Martial could be invisible in a game and then pop out to give a moment of brilliance like that.

Ole responded with an annoyed face "I saw martial the whole game, I know what he was doing".

They are desperate for us to blow our budget on Kane and save him from Mourinho. Always an agenda with them.

Lj82

Ole is really the perfect coach for Martial

Santoryo

ripping the reward
They are desperate for us to blow our budget on Kane and save him from Mourinho. Always an agenda with them.
Yep. I'm still waiting for when these pundits and journos will drop their agenda against Martial. Doesn't matter how consistent he's been they're still harping on about bringing in a consistent 25 goals striker "like Kane". The agenda is so fecking obvious and sad at this point.

Yeah I saw that and just rolled my eyes. These clowns trying to maintain their narrative about Martial "Not doing enough in game" "very inconsistent" for some odd reasons.

The other day Neville was harping on about how Martial can't play in tight spaces :lol:
He tried to bs this nonsense just because he wanted to hype Greenwood and claimed that mason can play in tight spaces but Martial can't. These pundits are just so bizarre to me. Pushing obvious and stupid agendas every chance they get.

Last edited:

Lj82

He was much more exciting to watch on the LW running at players constantly. But my god he is doing a great job now. Getting really stuck in. Using his body well to hold up the ball and scoring goals now. Long may it continue.
I think we get to see his best when he plays with Rashford. Not only do they have telepathic understanding, they create space for each other and Martial has opportunities to drift left and take on players, such as last game against Southampton.

Lj82

Yep. I'm still waiting for when these pundits and journos will drop their agenda against Martial. Doesn't matter how consistent he's been they're still harping on about bringing in a consistent 25 goals striker "like Kane". The agenda is so fecking obvious and sad at this point.

Yeah I saw that and just rolled my eyes. These clowns trying to maintain their narrative about Martial "Not doing enough in game" "very inconsistent" for some odd reasons.
We have fans who still clings to that too, sadly.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
We have fans who still clings to that too, sadly.
Yeah. Every game you still see posts like "He's been good recently" or "He's been in form the last 2-3 games" etc. Even posts saying how he's been good since lock down have got it wrong. He's consistently been playing well since February hence why he's scored the most goals in the PL this calendar year.

OT_United

It's what weve been starved of since his debut season. An aggressive and happy Martial has the potential to be the best in the world.
I’m most impressed with his drive, enthusiasm and energy. He’s making runs, bringing others into the game, and taking the game by the scruff of the neck which we’ve never seen him do in a United shirt. His finishing is getting even more clinical and long may it continue, no doubt he has the quality to become world class. Him and Rashford were superb tonight.

Tony247

Dont know if there is a link, but the biggest improved player after we bought Bruno. Showing consistency which was lacking all these years. Where was this martial before eh?

Icemav

When Martial-Bruno-Rashy start doing 1 touch play its un-defendable. We need to keep developing this. This is also part of the solution to bypassing a press effectively. Our mids need to take notice.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Stark difference with Martial at the moment is he looks happy, he is finally beign consistently played in the right position as a striker and he has a manager that believes in him. He needs to kick on with his consistency and then finally we have the player it looked like we signed.
Lmfao “consistency” he’s probably been our most consistent player this year. 30 GA doesn’t lie

meamth

The other day Neville was harping on about how Martial can't play in tight spaces :lol:
He tried to bs this nonsense just because he wanted to hype Greenwood and claimed that mason can play in tight spaces but Martial can't. These pundits are just so bizarre to me. Pushing obvious and stupid agendas every chance they get.
Agreed.

But now, we have a perfect coach who protects Martial from all of this nonsense. I can't think of a better manager at the moment for Martial's development. Ole in all the way, unless we're in 10 game losing streak. Let's be honest, that's not going to happen with this team.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He has bad patches of form this season, but not sustained for long enough for anyone to claim another inconsistent season. If he performs like he did against Palace every week, he'd be Messi wouldn't he, that's not going to happen. If he can maintain or improve the consistency he has had this season, and continue to develop further as a player he could become top 3 attacking player in the world. At least for a couple of seasons like Salah etc.

I love the way he combined his strength with his dribbling skills against Palace, he is so quick and the ball is glued to his feet, defenders bouncing off him. Looks an insane player at the moment.

mav_9me

He has bad patches of form this season, but not sustained for long enough for anyone to claim another inconsistent season. If he performs like he did against Palace every week, he'd be Messi wouldn't he, that's not going to happen. If he can maintain or improve the consistency he has had this season, and continue to develop further as a player he could become top 3 attacking player in the world. At least for a couple of seasons like Salah etc.

I love the way he combined his strength with his dribbling skills against Palace, he is so quick and the ball is glued to his feet, defenders bouncing off him. Looks an insane player at the moment.
Caught only glimpses and saw the compilation posted. Everything you said word for word was what I was going to post.

Status
Not open for further replies.