6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

finishing is one of the primary necessary attributes of a striker. What about heading, positionig, anticipation, movement, aerial dominance etc. There are so many attributes to being a forward to claim one has far more than the other. Fact is Haaland has 44 goals and 10 assists in 40 games. This includes 10 in the champions league (more than Martial entire 32 champions league game total) and German Bundesliga. Every level he bangs in ridiculous rate of Goals, almost like Cristiano. I wouldn't be so quick to claim "such and such is better". Haaland is legit. He'll end up at Bayern, Juve or City and be leading scorer.

would not swap them though
Haaland is most certainly the real deal as far as strikers go but Martial is incredibly good whilst also being one of my favourite players to watch over the last 5 or 10 years.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He is better than Halaand, why would you want to do that? He has far more attributes than him. The only thing going for the child giant is age and finishing.
Because 44 goals in his first season suggests he’s gonna be the next big thing

fps

Martial right now looks like one of the best strikers in Europe. Since the break he has been sensational and his increasing all round play, strength, and variety of finishes is there for all to see. Love watching him at the moment.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He is better than Halaand, why would you want to do that? He has far more attributes than him. The only thing going for the child giant is age and finishing.
Haaland has 44 goals in his last 40 games. He’s clearly a special player & will only get better.

Stacks

Haaland is most certainly the real deal as far as strikers go but Martial is incredibly good whilst also being one of my favourite players to watch over the last 5 or 10 years.
no doubt! But I wouldn't underrate other teams players to make a point. The other day peeps were saying we don't need Sancho because Greenwood. Fact is if all our players are better than everyone else's (Pogba, Bruno, Martial, Rashford, Greenwood,) then we are basically the best team in the world!

CG1010

At the start of last season when we sold Lukaku without any replacement, I genuinely thought we will have a very poor season. At while to the extent we did until we got another quality attacker, Martial has far exceeded my expectations from him this season. This season has turned him from a 'prospect' to a 'player', and I am very sure we are going to see him perform season after season.

Raven

no doubt! But I wouldn't underrate other teams players to make a point. The other day peeps were saying we don't need Sancho because Greenwood. Fact is if all our players are better than everyone else's (Pogba, Bruno, Martial, Rashford, Greenwood,) then we are basically the best team in the world!
Absolutely. I do think Martial is better but Haaland is far more than age and finishing.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I would have happily traded him for Haaland a few months ago (perhaps still would) but he’s really impressed me how he’s starting to step it up. Do you think the whole number 9 thing was a mental block for him? Seemed to go off the boil when he lost the number, though we also had the soul suckers manage us too
I do think the number issue was something on his mind at first. If I remember correctly, he did start José's first 3 league games in a row, but was poor and understandably dropped.

After that initial dropping from the 1st team I think he was fine and over it. The problem then was that it seemed José had already lost complete faith in him. I said before about him starting 3 games in a row and, correct me if I'm wrong, but there was only one other time he started 3+ in a row (I believe it was 4) so he never had any chance of building some form.

That second run in the team where he played 4 I think was around the time we signed Alexis. In the first 3 games, he was probably our best player in the playing off the left, and in the 4th he was moved to the right to accommodate the newly signed Alexis on the left where he was poor because he's always poor on the right, and José never gave him a run again.

Whenever he's played under a manager that's trusted him (van Gaal & Ole), he's usually performed well for us.

Strelok

finishing is one of the primary necessary attributes of a striker. What about heading, positionig, anticipation, movement, aerial dominance etc. There are so many attributes to being a forward to claim one has far more than the other. Fact is Haaland has 44 goals and 10 assists in 40 games. This includes 10 in the champions league (more than Martial entire 32 champions league game total) and German Bundesliga. Every level he bangs in ridiculous rate of Goals, almost like Cristiano. I wouldn't be so quick to claim "such and such is better". Haaland is legit. He'll end up at Bayern, Juve or City and be leading scorer.

would not swap them though
I watched a clip about Sancho yesterday and there's some moment of Haaland in that which I'm not very impressed.
From 1:30 to 1:35 for example. I don't remember Martial had any kind of those recently. His finishing is really great though.

Most of us only watch him in highlights and the few big matches he played so imo we don't have the full picture of him here. Plus imo he's more of a poacher and Martial is a more complete forward. Would love to have an opinion from someone who watch him on a regular basis.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I watched a clip about Sancho yesterday and there's some moment of Haaland in that which I'm not very impressed.
From 1:30 to 1:35 for example. I don't remember Martial had any kind of those recently. His finishing is really great though.

Most of us only watch him in highlights and the few big matches he played so imo we don't have the full picture of him here. Plus imo he's more of a poacher and Martial is a more complete forward. Would love to have an opinion from someone who watch him on a regular basis.
This is a recurring problem on the Caf, people go and judge other teams players through hype and highlights but have actually no idea how they perform as a whole. People will keep bringing Haaland goal stats but love omitting the fact that the bulk of those stats were achieved in Austria which should be completely irrelevant when judging a player relative to top leagues, especially the PL.

Every time you see someone claim that Haaland is better than Martial, just know that they haven't watched him play much and are judging him through hype and highlights. Martial is a better football player than Haaland but reading some posts on these boards you'd think otherwise.

Strelok

This is a recurring problem on the Caf, people go and judge other teams players through hype and highlights but have actually no idea how they perform as a whole. People will keep bringing Haaland goal stats but love omitting the fact that the bulk of those stats were achieved in Austria which should be completely irrelevant when judging a player relative to top leagues, especially the PL.

Every time you see someone claim that Haaland is better than Martial, just know that they haven't watched him play much and are judging him through hype and highlights. Martial is a better football player than Haaland but reading some posts on these boards you'd think otherwise.
Tbh I don't know who is better but it's true that most fans, not just the Caf, only watch their team on a regular basis and would usually know players from other teams, especially in foreign leagues through highlights and papers. Papers tend to exaggerate things and in those highlights clips almost every player look like prime Messi :D

romufc

That is not the only problem, they rate players from other clubs higher when the truth is in the middle.

Haaland obviously needs more game time to develop his game, like what Martial has had for the last 3/4 years.

Stacks

Less than half of his goals have come in Austria and the rest in the German Bundesliga and Champions league. Also how do you determine a better football player? If you are a forward is it on how much you can do or how many you score? There are arguments for both players and I don't believe anyone can definitively say either is correct "with their chest".

I would still prefer to keep Tony M

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Different type of players. Both are good players and there are more than one way of playing as a striker. What do you mean by a better football player? they all have a role to play in a team and you judge them based on their role. Judging Haaland by Martial's playstyle and vice versa is clueless.

Stacks

That is not the only problem, they rate players from other clubs higher when the truth is in the middle.

Haaland obviously needs more game time to develop his game, like what Martial has had for the last 3/4 years.
This is most likely truth. Somewhere in the middle. Either would succeed here.

but the opposite also happens on the Caf when all our players are basically better than everyone else's as soon as they hit some form when other players are playing for title challengers, champions league etc. So like you said it's probably in the middle. People were quickly downplaying Kane the other day saying all our forwards are just better than him etc. Harry Kane!

I would still prefer to keep Tony M rather than buy Kane

romufc

This is most likely truth. Somewhere in the middle. Either would succeed here.

but the opposite also happens on the Caf when all our players are basically better than everyone else's as soon as they hit some form when other players are playing for title challengers, champions league etc. So like you said it's probably in the middle. People were quickly downplaying Kane the other day saying all our forwards are just better than him etc. Harry Kane!
There is alot, I mean alot of knee jerk reaction that goes on here.

Kane, just like Rooney and Rashford needs games to get sharp and fit.

If you look at some of the comments regarding our defence, you would think we have conceded 100 goals this season.

Fans are alot more reactionary recently. Forget what happens earlier in the season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Different type of players. Both are good players and there are more than one way of playing as a striker. What do you mean by a better football player? they all have a role to play in a team and you judge them based on their role. Judging Haaland by Martial's playstyle and vice versa is clueless.
Haaland plays like an elite goalscorer, it's an other player that I would compare to Mario Gomez. He knows how to score a lot of goals but at the moment he doesn't have more to his game, maybe he could turn into a sort of Cavani because he is a great athlete, fast and agile despite his size, I would be curious to know how good his stamina is though. For me he isn't a good fit for our current team but he would be a great one for SAF's last team.

For me our current team is more in the mold of the Ronaldo-Tevez-Rooney team, it relies on technique and playmaking abilities from the attackers.

Stacks

There is alot, I mean alot of knee jerk reaction that goes on here.

Kane, just like Rooney and Rashford needs games to get sharp and fit.

If you look at some of the comments regarding our defence, you would think we have conceded 100 goals this season.

Fans are alot more reactionary recently. Forget what happens earlier in the season.
You are completely right. Then again we had such a long break so the previous games are becoming distant. I can't remember any of Rashford's goals from before COVID, even though I know he was great for us!

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I mean what I said, better footballer as in better at playing football. Put Martial and Haaland out there then watch them play football and you come out with the conclusion that Martial is a better footballer. Haalland being a great goal scorer doesn't translate to him being a better footballer than Martial who is an absolute baller.

Raven

I mean what I said, better footballer as in better at playing football. Put Martial and Haaland out there then watch them play football and you come out with the conclusion that Martial is a better footballer. Haalland being a great goal scorer doesn't translate to him being a better footballer than Martial who is an absolute baller.
I tend to agree with this. I often get asked what I mean by "better footballer". I also feel that most elite teams don't use players like Haaland as their first choice any more. Maybe I'm misremembering but I don't remember a top team playing without a CF who can link things up nicely for years now.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He was solid, too bad Rashford wasn't up for it today, they could have really used each other more to get a win since Bruno and Pogba were not up to snuff either. Just a rough game to really be able to impact from CF position. That pass for Greenwood was inch-perfect, tough to squeeze that one in.

InfiniteBoredom

If our useless midfield actually had gotten the ball to him early everytime we attacked, I’m convinced we’d have won the match.

Dragged down by the collective lethargy of the team by the end:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Without him working that goal..

.. honestly Martial must have backache from carrying the bluffers and bottlers around him.

MadMike

Very good considering. Most of our good attacks were started by his very tidy ball control and quick well-weighted passes in tight spaces. I don't mean to praise Martial by putting down Rashford, but a lot of attacks broke down due to the bad ball control or pass of the latter.

3KDré

Without him working that goal..

.. honestly Martial must have backache from carrying the bluffers and bottlers around him.
It's very ironic, because over the last few years it's Martial that was our best player in our worst periods but it's him whose mentality is questioned.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Only him and Greenwood come away with any credit today from the starters. Love how he's turned out.

RooneyLegend

Just get him on the ball ffs. He should've moved to the left earlier. Sadly atm good things only happen when he gets the ball.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
It's very ironic, because over the last few years it's Martial that was our best player in our worst periods but it's him whose mentality is questioned.
Thank you for mentioning this.

I've always found it weird how some people love accusing Martial of weak mentality when he has shown again and again that he can still play decently even when the team is looking awful. He did it in his first season, best outfield player and had a great season despite the team being terrible as a whole. He's done it during Mourinho's time as well when he kept him on the job for longer than he should. The past 3-4 games with the team looking tired, he's managed to be an exception and still show up and play well.

Yet some people on the Caf question his mentality. So bizarre.

Nep77

He has been out best player this season but he won't be getting any award or credit for it. He has been consistently good except for couple weeks in January. This guy performs under pressure situation and doesn't bottle unlike some on our team who goes for hiding.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He's really blossoming into a class player. Very few decent performances tonight. Shout out to Greenwood for the goal.

InfiniteBoredom

I'm normally one of his fans but thought he was quiet and average today. Wasn't terrible so that automatically made him one of our better players, but I still expect better.
They congested the middle so a CF will always struggle against that set up, the only way to mitigate that is to hit long pass from deep into him early so he has less people to beat once he turns. We did that a lot during Fergie’s last season, midfield with Carrick/Cleverley/Scholes/Giggs would play at barely above walking pace but Carrick hit a lot of throughpasses to RvP to work his magic.

jamesjimmybyrondean

His been out most consistent player since the restart. Isn't that ironic considering the 'reputation' he has of being inconsistent

Status
Not open for further replies.