Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He isnt ever going to be a predatory striker like Lewandowski- even if he misses the chances he did today he has the ability to lay chances on the plate to forwards like Greenwood and Rashford who are more predatory than him. Unfortunately for us Rashford post stress fracture injury on his back isnt clinical enough to take the chances off Martial either.

People wondering why Martial is not Clinical by himself will never get him as a player. He adds fluidity to our front line.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Last two games have shown we need a proper number 9 who can score consistently and when we need it most.

Martial is not it
Bore off.

He should have scored one of them tonight but if your take away from that is he isn’t good enough then there is no helping you. He made most of the chances with his excellent CF play. Yes he should finish them but most players wouldn’t have got those chances in the first place.

Archi

Why are there so many post saying Martial isn't clinical. Not been following the "stats" lately but he always had a great conversion rate, has that tailed off dramatically?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Why are there so many post saying Martial isn't clinical. Not been following the "stats" lately but he always had a great conversion rate, has that tailed off dramatically?
He had a bad game finishing wise therefore the narrative changes.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's incredibly clinical, until he gets in his head and then he suddenly isn't.

He could have been there all night and I don't think he would have scored, think he was too much in his head.

Doesn't mean he shouldn't be our number 9,but it does mean we need a back up striker we can bring on with half an hour to go when he's having games like this.

Eddy_JukeZ

Martial is one of the most clinical strikers in the world(conversation rates back this up).

One poor game and "he's not clinical enough."

He had a poor game finishing. It happens.

el3mel

Martial has always been ridiculously clinical, it's his work rate that was always being criticized by me and even this improved a lot this season. He was even pressing up top.

This is unfortunately a one off.

I feel like nerves got into all our players in second half that they ended up fecking the chances they got. No way Martial and Greenwood miss these kind of chances in any other game. It's like the game's level was so much for them or something.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Those misses are equal to Varane fecked up in that game. But the narrative sounds different.

E-mal

He should have buried at least one of those chances. Not good enough today for me but I am looking forward to next season with optimism and hoping he moves up a level or several for that matter as I think he is capable of.

jem

Those misses are equal to Varane fecked up in that game. But the narrative sounds different.
They are not even close to the Varane level of feck up. Sterling missing that open net is; Martial putting one over the crossbar and having several others saved isn't.

Cabin Clown

Re 1 on 1's - Sevilla's vastly low defensive line mean't when Martial was played in he had very little time from receiving the ball and shooting. You can forgive him for that, even though I was saying rounding the keeper was an option.

I thought he was unlucky. A lot of his shots went to the keepers block by luck. Regardless, he should be scoring. The talk of replacing him with a 'real CF' is ridiculous.

RUCK4444

I’m usually a critic of his but can’t complain about him too much, would usually bury those chances but credit to the keeper as well because he was rushing out to close down very well.

Was just one of those nights.

I do still think his attributes are best suited to coming in off the left, where he can have a touch more room to run and link up nicely with the one-two’s.

I know many will say ‘his best season was this season at no 9 position’ but Rashford had more or less the same numbers as him from the left and I’m sure it would have been the same vice versa.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
They are not even close to the Varane level of feck up. Sterling missing that open net is; Martial putting one over the crossbar and having several others saved isn't.
Why? Varane fecked up twice, but at least the opponents still need to beat Gk. Which isn't that easy, just from seeing our game. Martial missed two one-on-one with Gk.

Red00012

He should have scored but his hold up play and receiving ball to feet is exceptional.

Mindhunter

It just wasn't his day today. The goalkeeper had his number - knew exactly when to charge him. His customary cut in from the left and shoot routine didn't work either today. On another day he would have had a hattrick.

It could also be the pressure of a semi-final as well that plays mental tricks on you.

jem

Why? Varane fecked up twice, but at least the opponents still need to beat Gk. Which isn't that easy, just from seeing our game. Martial missed two one-on-one with Gk.
Because Varane utterly failed twice in executing one of the most basic duties a defender has: clear the ball. Martial had two shots saved by the keeper, nowhere near the kind of miss Sterling was guilty of (something that would be comparable to Varane's mistakes.)

RooneyLegend

I’m usually a critic of his but can’t complain about him too much, would usually bury those chances but credit to the keeper as well because he was rushing out to close down very well.

Was just one of those nights.

I do still think his attributes are best suited to coming in off the left, where he can have a touch more room to run and link up nicely with the one-two’s.

I know many will say ‘his best season was this season at no 9 position’ but Rashford had more or less the same numbers as him from the left and I’m sure it would have been the same vice versa.
This. People don't realize that as he's about to shoot the keeper is on his toes.

Skills

Snitch
I think he should've tried to take the first one around the keeper (of his two chances where got 1v1). Should've banged the second one

meamth

The nerves got into him...if he put more composure on all of the chances, he would have placed it instead of just smashing it.

That Sevilla CB annoyed the feck out of me though, didn't get a yellow card either, weird referee. Diego fecking Carlos, what a fecking regen FM name. Whenever Martial trying to hold the ball, he just ram towards Martial.

youngrell

A couple of chances in the last two games that you’d expect him to score usually but I have to credit the goalkeeper last night. He closed the space incredibly quickly and made the finish much harder than it seemed. Did the same with Greenwood too.

Nicolarra90

I'm sorry but he can't be a 9. A great winger or 2nd striker, but not a 9. I grew up to Zamorano and Salas. If you can't head the ball you can't be a 9

Andersons Dietician

He should finish a few of those chances but generally felt he played quite well. This new found burst of pace he’s found to go past defences like they weren’t there is handy.

He was good when he went out to the wing. Driving at people and just making things happen.

Strelok

It just wasn't his day today. The goalkeeper had his number - knew exactly when to charge him. His customary cut in from the left and shoot routine didn't work either today. On another day he would have had a hattrick.

It could also be the pressure of a semi-final as well that plays mental tricks on you.
Agreed.

He's absolutely clinical. Even the best strikers have days like this, even period like this aka dry spell. It's kinda normal. Imo no big deal actually.

The point is, we need someone good enough to throw in when our main striker has a bad day. Like Ole, like Chicharito back then. And throw that one in soon enough so he can make an impact. I'm not sure bring on Ighalo right after the second goal would work or not but 92' is definitely too late.

Last edited:

KennyBurner

We really shouldn’t be praising his performance at all. I’m his biggest fan at the club but yesterday was so embarrassing. It’s not like he missed one chance. He had 4 big chances he could have converted and he failed to put any of them away.

We had others like AWB, rashford that were completely atrocious but let’s be honest those two have been very questionable for a few weeks now. Martial on the other hand is our main number 9 on massive wages. he just has to score. It’s unacceptable and I hope Ole has made that clear. We have backed him and given him all the confidence in the world so he has no excuses. It’s the next morning and I’m still scratching my head as to how you don’t bury at least one of those chances. He should take much of the blame.

Craig Ward

Martial is one of the most clinical strikers in the world(conversation rates back this up).

One poor game and "he's not clinical enough."

He had a poor game finishing. It happens.
That lack of clinical finishing cost us a semi final though.

Stats mean nothing, We arent in a final cos we couldnt score.

Martial had a good CF display - but i'm sorry you have to put chances away.

I dont think we can expect a 100% rate of taking chances but he had plenty against Sevilla. Shame for him as he's had an excellent season over all. Games are won by fine margins and he cost us

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That lack of clinical finishing cost us a semi final though.

Stats mean nothing, We arent in a final cos we couldnt score.

Martial had a good CF display - but i'm sorry you have to put chances away.

I dont think we can expect a 100% rate of taking chances but he had plenty against Sevilla. Shame for him as he's had an excellent season over all. Games are won by fine margins and he cost us
I think its fine that your CF has odd days where he can't put it in the net... it happens to any striker.

They key is to then have someone sat on the bench you can bring on and who could possibly put the ball in the net instead... it's why Fergie always insisted on having about 10 strikers (and 0 midfielders).

E-mal

We really shouldn’t be praising his performance at all. I’m his biggest fan at the club but yesterday was so embarrassing. It’s not like he missed one chance. He had 4 big chances he could have converted and he failed to put any of them away.

We had others like AWB, rashford that were completely atrocious but let’s be honest those two have been very questionable for a few weeks now. Martial on the other hand is our main number 9 on massive wages. he just has to score. It’s unacceptable and I hope Ole has made that clear. We have backed him and given him all the confidence in the world so he has no excuses. It’s the next morning and I’m still scratching my head as to how you don’t bury at least one of those chances. He should take much of the blame.
He's on same wages as Rashford though but that's beside the point.

I 100% agree with your point. I love him and should have buried at least one. He has tested my patience in the last two games.

Craig Ward

I think its fine that your CF has odd days where he can't put it in the net... it happens to any striker.

They key is to then have someone sat on the bench you can bring on and who could possibly put the ball in the net instead... it's why Fergie always insisted on having about 10 strikers (and 0 midfielders).
I dont think its fine that your main striker has multiple chances in a semi final - takes none and we go out. Thats not fine, Thats failure.

Agree lack of options from the bench are worrying, but we could have made changes earlier. Rashford was done in and having a shocker, about 60 mins in we could have gone Martial LW and Ighalo up top - or just put two up top. We do have some options to change play/style.

KennyBurner

He's on same wages as Rashford though but that's beside the point.

I 100% agree with your point. I love him and should have buried at least one. He has tested my patience in the last two games.
Thats true but I expect much more from martial. In my own personal opinion he is the much better player for our team. Rashford having stinking performances is normal. He does it and might end up with a goal so it’s ignored. Martial on the other hand shouldn’t be praised after the end result. It’s unacceptable. I just hope Ole made it really uncomfortable yesterday for the whole team and that moving forward there will be consequences for not taking your chances.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'm sorry but he can't be a 9. A great winger or 2nd striker, but not a 9. I grew up to Zamorano and Salas. If you can't head the ball you can't be a 9
He is playing like a very clinical version of a support/false 9 most of the time laying chances up for Rashford and Greenwood. He is playing exactly where you ask. Right now the problem is that the front 3 can never stay injury free together and on form - when Martial isnt scoring goals he plays chances up for Rashford and Greenwood who should be scoring goals but right now Rashford is significantly injured from his back spinal fracture (likewise when Rashford was on form Martial was injured/it was James instead of Greenwood starting). Right now with Rashford's spinal injury we are literally playing with 2 and a half players out of a front 3 at times.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Thats true but I expect much more from martial. In my own personal opinion he is the much better player for our team. Rashford having stinking performances is normal. He does it and might end up with a goal so it’s ignored. Martial on the other hand shouldn’t be praised after the end result. It’s unacceptable. I just hope Ole made it really uncomfortable yesterday for the whole team and that moving forward there will be consequences for not taking your chances.
:lol:

Silverman

Should have scored a few last night but he played well. He's not gonna score every chance he's get. He has been very clinical since lockdown. Some criticism here (as usual) is very unjust.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Jesus Christ. 2 off games finishing wise doesn't dismiss an entire career of proof about him being clinical. I get the anger because he should have buried at least 1 or 2 of the chances he got but people shouldn't pretend that his finishing level last night wasn't an aberration and it's the norm.

These talks of him not being clinical enough are hilarious.

The good news is that despite him not bringing his scoring boots the last 2 games, he did everything else right and showed elite CF play beside finishing. And the most important part is that he's shown to be able to get himself in goal scoring position with ease which bodes well going forward because his finishing touch will naturally come back to him.

I can't remember a time, even this season when Martial was played as a striker, to find himself in goal scoring positions as much as he did in the last 4 or so games, especially the last 2. If this becomes the norm which it's looking like then he'll score plenty next season. He's had a good season as a CF and as the season went on he improved everything from hold up play, to positioning and strength. With this season and experience as CF under his belt I expect him to explode next season goal wise. His entire game has simply come together especially in the last few games but ironically his finishing just wasn't there. Though one would expect by next season with enough rest he should get back his sharp finishing. Next season looks exiting for Martial.

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He was the only player in our front 3 that looked like a Manchester United player last night, in a European semi-final.

Tough to blame a recovering Rashford and an 18 year-old, but the truth is we're the 'richest club in the world' and despite that of our 3 attackers, only one was up to anything. That's not Martial's fault, he's very much the least of our problems.

He's even playing as a target man sometimes now off goal kicks. His evolution this season is one of Ole's defining successes imo.

croadyman

I realise he still has to be more clinical at times but my god I am getting sick to the back teeth of our british media sticking the knife in and ignoring some of the british players just because it suits their obvious agenda.

NinjaFletch

I don't think the 'clinical' discussion gets to the heart of it, but I do think there are substantial improvements to be made with his finishing. He seems far too reluctant to shoot quickly, preferring to try and beat a man and get a better position, and can take an absolute age to set himself, which frequently lets players back in. The difference between him and Greenwood on that front is night and day. It looks very, very good when it comes off, but I think he could trade some of the ascetics for just getting his shot off.

Still, he's had a very good season.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I don't think the 'clinical' discussion gets to the heart of it, but I do think there are substantial improvements to be made with his finishing. He seems far too reluctant to shoot quickly, preferring to try and beat a man and get a better position, and can take an absolute age to set himself, which frequently lets players back in. The difference between him and Greenwood on that front is night and day. It looks very, very good when it comes off, but I think he could trade some of the ascetics for just getting his shot off.

Still, he's had a very good season.
Yeah I've noticed this as well. Happened in the Tottenham game when he waited too long to shoot which gave Dier enough time to make the tackle and block his shot. Also happened in few other games like the last 2 in Europa which gave keepers time to close him and cut off the angle for shooting.

I've seen him wait too long to shoot which put him in a worse position to score. Hopefully he identifies this weakness and work on it. Work on getting the shot off as quick as possible and not always looking for the perfect set up. Greenwood is terrific and natural in these instances, he shoots much quicker and has no qualms getting a shot even in not so perfect scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.