Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He's always been comfortable cutting in from the left and scoring, so being "on the wing" isn't a factor, imo. He hasn't been consistent. It's possible that being dropped for Sanchez had an impact on his consistency but a determined player will make sure they take their chances as they come. He seemed to just sulk about it.

Like I said, though, that's in the past. The expectations on him this year are very high but we know he has the talent to deliver. 2 in 2 so far this year is fantastic and I hope it continues.
Actually being on the wing is the biggest factor. Despite him cutting in inside he was still a winger and wasn't in the box enough which is something Ole himself realised and mentioned.

Ole mentioned something about getting Martial in and around the box given his clinical finishing strength. On the wing he doesn't get much opportunities to be inside the box which sort of nullifies his greatest strength and weapon which is finishing.

I agree that Martial should also hold some of the blame but from a coaching and tactical point of view, playing on the wing held his numbers back.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Actually being on the wing is the biggest factor. Despite him cutting in inside he was still a winger and wasn't in the box enough which is something Ole himself realised and mentioned.

Ole mentioned something about getting Martial in and around the box given his clinical finishing strength. On the wing he doesn't get much opportunities to be inside the box which sort of nullifies his greatest strength and weapon which is finishing.

I agree that Martial should also hold some of the blame but from a coaching and tactical point of view, playing on the wing held his numbers back.
He's never been a winger. Never been asked to do winger things. He was always a forward playing on the left side. The area was always within easy reach for a player of his ability and he always had the freedom to come inside. He simply hasn't performed well enough (think of his dribbles last season and how often they came to nothing). That's down to a few factors, Mourinho probably being the biggest one but some of it is on Anthony, too. We haven't seen the best of him and I don't think he's given the club his best. That looks to be changing this year, which is good.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He's never been a winger. Never been asked to do winger things. He was always a forward playing on the left side. The area was always within easy reach for a player of his ability and he always had the freedom to come inside. He simply hasn't performed well enough (think of his dribbles last season and how often they came to nothing). That's down to a few factors, Mourinho probably being the biggest one but some of it is on Anthony, too. We haven't seen the best of him and I don't think he's given the club his best. That looks to be changing this year, which is good.
I'm not disputing the fact that he hasn't played well enough regardless of factors with some being his own fault, however position play a huge difference on a player output.

Him being allowed to come inside doesn't mean it's as simple as finding himself in goalscoring situations and score goals. Coming from the wing, he is still further away from the box and still doesn't find himself around it much. It's mostly always takes him to at least beat his full back to even get himself near a dangerous area, and that right there is already a massive impediment to him scoring goals.

You are making it sound like it should be easy for a winger to just beat his full back(especially the way he was set up) and find himself in a dangerous area around or inside the box.

On the wing Martial was far from goal most of the time, another thing mentioned by Ole. Most often then not he was always picking the ball from Shaw on the line then has to try and cut all the way inside, beat his full back of course before even finding himself in a dangerous area. That right there makes all the difference.

As a striker he'll mostly be in and around the box thus exponentially increasing the likelihood of him finding himself with the ball in a dangerous area in and around that box.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's difficult to make any comparisons because of his up and downs in minutes over the last three years under Mourinho. He also seemed to have been given instructions to stick more to the left side and occasionally cutting in. That may just be my interpretation of it, but this season will be interesting because we will be able to solely judge him on what we expect a striker to do, and not this ambivalent idea of his role as a LW/LF that he seemed to be torn with previously.

I think it's fair to praise his increased movement, I think that was a valid criticism of him in the past although I maintain that he'd still make runs people would completely ignore on here in the past because, just like in the Caf, the players were also ignoring those runs or were not capable of rewarding them with the right pass unless Pogba was on the ball and had seen it.

What's most encouraging to me is the fact that he's played 180 minutes in two games. Martial's biggest issue for me, along with his movement, was his cardio. He seems to be making major strides in that area and it's very encouraging for the future as he will make more runs and create more opportunities for himself. The next step he has to make now to ensure he will become that 20+ goals player people would like to see him become is taking more shots and not always waiting for the perfect moment. He is extremely efficient because he takes the best opportunities to score, but those opportunities are not going to come all the time when you're the starting CF and with the confidence he's getting, I can see him attempting more shots from distance without the fear of being hooked off and sitting on the bench for the next one.

With all that said, his health along with Rashford's is paramount to the success of this team. Without another striker (Greenwood is still far too young, although he will have some impact this season I reckon), this team is extremely reliant on the two staying healthy to make the top 4. That's worrying, despite them being rather solid players and not often injured.

Dante

Average bang
I thought he was great against Wolves. A couple of tweaks to his game and a bit of consistency, and he can be one of the very top players in the league.

It was possibly the first time he's looked like a 90 minute player rather a MOTD star. Ole's methods have got him playing for the team, at last.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I'm not disputing the fact that he hasn't played well enough regardless of factors with some being his own fault, however position play a huge difference on a player output.

Him being allowed to come inside doesn't mean it's as simple as finding himself in goalscoring situations and score goals. Coming from the wing, he is still further away from the box and still doesn't find himself around it much. It's mostly always takes him to at least beat his full back to even get himself near a dangerous area, and that right there is already a massive impediment to him scoring goals.

You are making it sound like it should be easy for a winger to just beat his full back(especially the way he was set up) and find himself in a dangerous area around or inside the box.

On the wing Martial was far from goal most of the time, another thing mentioned by Ole. Most often then not he was always picking the ball from Shaw on the line then has to try and cut all the way inside, beat his full back of course before even finding himself in a dangerous area. That right there makes all the difference.

As a striker he'll mostly be in and around the box thus exponentially increasing the likelihood of him finding himself with the ball in a dangerous area in and around that box.
He's made it look easy with his dribbling and that bending shot that he's shown he can place inside the far post almost anytime he wants. So you can understand my perception that he's under performed so far.

OL29

I thought he was great against Wolves. A couple of tweaks to his game and a bit of consistency, and he can be one of the very top players in the league.

It was possibly the first time he's looked like a 90 minute player rather a MOTD star. Ole's methods have got him playing for the team, at last.
That’s simply not true, the FA Cup semi final against Everton stands out but he’s had loads of matches where he’s looked the part, calling him a motd star is a disservice.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
They’re all better finishers imo because they score a greater variety of goals. I don’t watch them every game like I do Martial though so could be wrong.
Well fair enough but I think a lot of people will be surprised by Martial finishing variety this season given he'll finally have plenty of opportunities to show them. He also can finish on both feet.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If he scores 25/30 goals a season, then you can see he is a good striker.
Agree.

I've always been a fan of his talents and have defended him often but some are definitely going too far.

Glad with his start to the season. Long may it continue.

Bestietom

If he plays upfront all season I'll be surprised and disappointed if he didn't hit 20.
If we are playing the pressing game that Ole wants, then he should be hitting 20 and more. If not then we may bring in someone that will. Top sides need a prolific goal scorer.

90 + 5min

What strikes me the most and makes me believe that he will grow as a striker is his smile. This season he is smiling. He looks happy. And watching his last game you can se that he actully is running a lot. He is showing passion that I like to see when you play for ManUtd.

Is he 25-30 goal striker? I don't believe he is. But as long as team is performing good football and we are getting points then I'm more than happy.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I like them together. They are very similar and both need to work on getting more penalty area goals but they combine nicely.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
I think Martial and Pogba will be our biggest keys to making top 4 (possibly Greenwood as well). More or less know what we’re going to get from our other players. Kinda crazy to say as he’s still only 23, but this could be a make it or break year for Martial with United. We all know what he’s capable of. Now he’s gotta step it up and prove it on a consistent basis.

Hughie77

So far the boy, looks like he needs to play as 9, he's making the right runs at present, has to keep it up.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I think Martial and Pogba will be our biggest keys to making top 4 (possibly Greenwood as well). More or less know what we’re going to get from our other players. Kinda crazy to say as he’s still only 23, but this could be a make it or break year for Martial with United. We all know what he’s capable of. Now he’s gotta step it up and prove it on a consistent basis.
I think Rashford has a role to play as well, still kind of early for Greenwood, although he may be the most talented of them all. I think this season will be a good introduction for him if Ole improves on his man management during games and is quicker to make substitutions. Next season is when I can see Greenwood making a big impact at just 18 years old.

I agree on Martial, if he doesn't hit 20 goals this season, it would be a disappointment, but it can be mitigated if he actually keeps running and being impactful in some way throughout the game and not just in little spurts.

Canagel

What strikes me the most and makes me believe that he will grow as a striker is his smile. This season he is smiling. He looks happy. And watching his last game you can se that he actully is running a lot. He is showing passion that I like to see when you play for ManUtd.

Is he 25-30 goal striker? I don't believe he is. But as long as team is performing good football and we are getting points then I'm more than happy.
Did anyone even get 25-30 goals in PL last season? He doesnt have to score 25-30 goals, if his all round game contributes to the whole attack performing better collectively it's enough.

Raven

Well fair enough but I think a lot of people will be surprised by Martial finishing variety this season given he'll finally have plenty of opportunities to show them. He also can finish on both feet.
This is what has surprised me, he hit one clean off the post in preseason with his left and now absolutely smashed one past Patricio, also on his left. Huge advantage being able to finish off either foot.

Foxbatt

I do not think that Rashford's pass was for Martial. I think it was for Shaw and just Martial saw it early and was simply too quick.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Did anyone even get 25-30 goals in PL last season? He doesnt have to score 25-30 goals, if his all round game contributes to the whole attack performing better collectively it's enough.
Posted stat few days back, IIRC only 6 players scored more than 20 league goals in last 5 seasons without taking penalties.

Kane, Aguero, Salah, Mane, Costa, Lukaku.

If Martial reaches that mark then brilliant. Like you said most important part is how much he helps in improving the overall attack

haram

Could really fill his boots the next 6 games leading up to the Liverpool match. In current form I think he is capable of scoring in every one.

Andersons Dietician

I do not think that Rashford's pass was for Martial. I think it was for Shaw and just Martial saw it early and was simply too quick.
In a way I kinda agree but Rashford does have a little look at Martial before he plays it but you would think in that position the best option is Shaw so hopefully he takes a strike at a better angle or rolls it across to Martial for a tap in if Martial went back post instead of what he did expecting Shaw to get to the ball.

Wasn’t an easy finish for Martial but he did it so great goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.