6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

Yes of course but you probably could say that about pretty much every single player.

Sir Alex was ruthless in that respect and even the likes of Rooney / Beckham were benched in big games. Beckham - leeds/Real madrid when OGS was preferred. Rooney when Welbeck got the nod.

I am sure OGS will do the same because he can this season as he has bought really well.
No doubt, it's more of a squad game now more than ever. I fully expect everyone to get a fair share of games, I do think, however, Martial and Rashford will be considered the main players in attack.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
In fairness, Phil Jones' career was ruined by injury, he was very promising back in the day.

You're comparing him to 4 of the best strikers in the world who have played nowhere but through the centre their entire careers, rather than being shunted out wide. Let's be realistic here, he obviously won't be spending as much time in the box playing as a conventional winger under Mourinho, rather than a centre forward in attacking teams.

He does have to improve, but to say he has no chance of becoming world class is nonsensical, he has all the physical and technical tools and is just entering the point in his career when consistency usually start to develop. He's still 23, by the premier league's definition, he is still a young player.
They are world class, that is what he has to aim for.

I agree he has potential to be anything he wants, but usually movement like that is a natural thing made in a split second, I have doubts he will ever get that.

For me he is still best being a wide left where he can get the ball to feet in space and run at people using his speed and agility. If he can just add better runs he will be a deadly wide forward.

He'sRaldo

The reality regarding Martial is fairly boring, he is very talented, he is surprisingly productive but he isn't driven and hasn't improved enough, some of it is due to the coaches but most of it is due to himself, he has always been a player that needs to be kicked in the backside and that's why I wasn't for the move to United, he needed to stay in Monaco with Jardim for at least a season or two.
I'm curious, how can you tell that it's more down to Martial than the coaching staff? I've always thought the opposite, given the lack of improvement of most players who come here.

Did you follow Martial before his move to Utd?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm curious, how can you tell that it's more down to Martial than the coaching staff? I've always thought the opposite, given the lack of improvement of most players who come here.

Did you follow Martial before his move to Utd?
Yes, I did. And both Jardim and Ranieri have been on his back because he was rarely giving everything on the training pitch.

He'sRaldo

Yes, I did. And both Jardim and Ranieri have been on his back because he was rarely giving everything on the training pitch.
I see, that's interesting. It guess it would explain both Mourinho and Solksjaer trying to give him competition via Rashford, Sanchez, and now Dan James. Tbh I did always fear that his somewhat languid style would carry over into training, but given our circumstance, I was understandably more willing to blame the coaching staff.

In that case, I really hope the penny drops for him and he finally kicks on this season improvement-wise. According to Ole, he's had a good start so let's hope it continues.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He looked like he didn't even want to be there when high fiving the Inter players.

el3mel

Look pretty lovely in the second half. Great run too. Though he needs to cut inside the box when the ball goes to the flank if he's going to play central.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Looked better today, especially in the second half.
It would be fantastic to get him back in the form he had in his first season.

Raven

Pogba and AWB were our best players today, Martial and Greenwood after that.

Walters_19_MuFc

Like the look of him through the middle, with license to roam. Often dropped off into space, where he was able to turn and run with the ball. With runners around him like he had today, he could strive in that false 9 role.

Andersons Dietician

Still needs to slap Lingard because he made another double run lost his defender and created space and all Jesse had to do was slip him in and Martial is in a good position to score. Instead he passed to Rashford.

Jesse I suppose does make up for it later by returning the pass to him for that chance Martial had which maybe had a bit of a poor first touch and got it stuck under his feet.

Overall played well today even if at times I think the lot of them got a bit lost in their position rotation.

Foxbatt

He is not selfish in the sense he does pass to other players when required. Rashford doesn't unless he has no other choice and even then he would try to take a shot. Martial may not take too many shots but normally when he shoots he is on target. He defended too today.

MadMike

I thought he was really good today. Very threatening and good link up play.

Raven

I'm noticing the absence of certain detractors today, probably because he showed good movement throughout. I think he could have attacked the box a little more, but that'll come.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The false 9 role suits him cause he doesn't shoot often and he normally likes to come deep. Also allows him drift into the channels.

haram

The false 9 role suits him cause he doesn't shoot often and he normally likes to come deep. Also allows him drift into the channels.
I think he can be good there if he keeps up the work rate.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was good today, just needs to make more runs into the box for a tap in. There was a point in the 2nd where the ball was played beautifully across goal and nobody was near it.

His link up play and hold up was great, and his pressing has improved big time.

It could be a tricky decision for ole to see who starts as the 9 this year.

UncleBob

In some matches, maybe. Overall i reckon we're just going to go for a fluid attack where Martial, Rashford + someone gets a very free role in terms of not having to track back much, where they rotate between themselves and try to link up

Raven

In some matches, maybe. Overall i reckon we're just going to go for a fluid attack where Martial, Rashford + someone gets a very free role in terms of not having to track back much, where they rotate between themselves and try to link up
We seem to be leaving 2 or 3 up top at all times at the moment, should always be the case. As I've said before, Martial should be starting up top as the false 9 and have Rashford and Greenwood either side of him, attacking the space he leaves when linking up play from deep.

ArjenIsM3

He was good today, just needs to make more runs into the box for a tap in. There was a point in the 2nd where the ball was played beautifully across goal and nobody was near it.

His link up play and hold up was great, and his pressing has improved big time.

This is a problem with all of our forwards.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
His best turnout this pre-season by far. Loved his play today, more of this please Tony.

Bobski

I'm noticing the absence of certain detractors today, probably because he showed good movement throughout. I think he could have attacked the box a little more, but that'll come.
Which is exactly what his detractors want from him. His technical ability has never been in doubt but it has been absolutely fair to criticize his intensity, movement and work-rate off the ball.

Dante

Average bang
Agreed. Martial is proving that his detractors were correct all along. Now that he's showing some workrate, he's finally upped his game.

Raven

Which is exactly what his detractors want from him. His technical ability has never been in doubt but it has been absolutely fair to criticize his intensity, movement and work-rate off the ball.
Agreed. Martial is proving that his detractors were correct all along. Now that he's showing some workrate, he's finally upped his game.
If you check this thread since the last match day, you'll see that his work rate and intensity are something I'm critical of as well. You'll even notice that what I was talking about was his movement as a striker.

Quinzaine

Was the best of our attacking players who started today. Looked quick on his feet and was involved in all three of our best chances before the goal. Movement however remains questionable and came deep far too often for me given he was playing as the No.9 but what I like is he's showing a positive trajectory in pre-season. Alongside the likes of AWB, Greenwood, Pogba, Chong, Bailly, Shaw, Lindelof, Tuanzebe there's a group there that's visibly improving with every game which for me is the most important thing in pre-season.

SteveW

Has Ole got through to him?? Worked hard for the team in the last 2 games. He looks up for it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ole called him 'New Martial' in last PC, talking about working for the team. He looked good against Inter, his work rate, link up play, dribbling everything looked good.

3KDré

He's got all the physical attributes of a great striker. His touch is brilliant, he can dribble well, his holdup play is actually very good etc etc.
However, if we wants to be our starting striker he needs to make better runs. If you look at 0:18 onwards he needs to be running between the right back and right centre back at the far post so that James can drive the ball across the ball.
You could put it down to him not playing regularly as a striker for a while, whatever it is he needs to be a bit smarter in his movement in the box and running in behind defenders.

Foxbatt

He is not a real striker who can play up top on his own. That is not his game. He needs to come deep and carry and dribble the ball. That is his game. He is not going to be there for the tap ins mostly.

Andersons Dietician

He's got all the physical attributes of a great striker. His touch is brilliant, he can dribble well, his holdup play is actually very good etc etc.
However, if we wants to be our starting striker he needs to make better runs. If you look at 0:18 onwards he needs to be running between the right back and right centre back at the far post so that James can drive the ball across the ball.
You could put it down to him not playing regularly as a striker for a while, whatever it is he needs to be a bit smarter in his movement in the box and running in behind defenders.
Check his positioning of where he ends up in the box for the Lingard side foot at 1min 40. Martial Sets that up for Lingard after he’s collected the ball on the half way line, beaten a man then set up Jesse.

Follow Martials run. Can’t blame Jesse for taking that on but if he puts that back in to Martial I can’t see him missing it given it was such a tame effort he probably could have intercepted Jesses shot and hit it properly.

He makes a lot more runs than people seem to notice and I don’t really see anything wrong with the play at 18 seconds. But I do agree he needs to try and get to the front or back post more instead of cutting out all the time for a cut back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.