6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raven

Pretty clear that his lack of running was tactical, we only pressed when they approached the half way line. Anyone who thinks this has anything to do with him being lazy is out of their mind. I also noticed a number of runs off the ball to put him in behind only to be ignored.

His touch has been off for a couple weeks now, seems to have hit a little bit of poor form, coinciding exactly with Rashford's injury. I'm not that concerned because we've actually signed someone with some quality who will be playing very close to Martial.

As has been said before, every striker goes through periods of poor form where they don't score much. No need to be so reactionary.

edgar allan

Young strikers will always have the shite period.

This is his shite period. He haven't found that consistency yet as a top striker, give him chance.

We all want a young squad, this is how we trust them.
How many more years do you suggest.
There is a reason why he is not in the french squad.....he sadly is nowhere near as good as we wish he was.

ash_86

93 min we need a goal and Maguire looks to be ahead of him in the pitch while Martial is hanging around the left of the penalty box. You're the fecking striker, go and get in the mix, cause chaos among the defenders. Just be there in the box for once.

Fecking useless as solo striker.

KetilOwren88

He doesn’t have the killer instinct inside the box to be a lonely striker. Great finisher on his day, but that doesn’t help much on days like today when he shows no desire to actually score a goal. I think he is more suited to play with a partner closer to him up front, but lazy performances like today is unacceptable nonetheless. Bojan Djordic mocked him on Norwegian television after the game, suggesting he didn’t even need to shower after that performance.

Last edited:

RedCurry

Pretty clear that his lack of running was tactical, we only pressed when they approached the half way line. Anyone who thinks this has anything to do with him being lazy is out of their mind.
The frustrating part for me is not that he didn’t press. I am much more frustrated by the fact that he had no aggression when we had the ball. He was forever playing in front of the entire back four and never tried making runs. To be a great striker you have to be obsessively hungry for goals. I have always supported Martial, but he can be so passive in some games.

arthurka

He needs to be deeper because he's creative you see. Everyone else around him isn't making the right runs, they need to make the runs so he can create for them. This is very clearly complete bollocks but it will be the next excuse. It's Rooney towards the end all over again, almost identical excuses.

Not good enough to be first choice on the wing or up front.
This Martial FC thing is stupid anyway. You will think he had led us to a league title while being the top goal scorer judging by such title. It just shows we are desperate to overrate any good thing happening in the current period because of how shite we are.
It's been like this for years now, Jose didn't know how to use him, Ole should do this and that.. it's always the same shit with this guy. He isn't bothered to run the channels, he doesn't press, he never gives players around him any options other than to pass the ball directly to him in the ground with a short and low pass. He didn't even compete for the long balls, take up positions and get freekicks. But the absolute worst is his lack of getting his ass into the box to be anywhere close for a tap in for the square cross into the box. His fan club will be back when he scores a nice goal against some mediocre team but the 10 games prior to that goal will be long forgotten. We needed a striker last year but dear god I would take almost anyone in now.

Hammondo

And why is Martial crap behind a player? He played behind strikers and in striking partnerships growing up.

Greenwood doesn't need to damn prove himself to lead the line for us - we need to win the damn match because Martial can't lead the line himself because he drops deep - what is the use of having Greenwood out wide in your understanding today?
Martials passing is maybe his worst attribute, and movement his 2nd worse.

Greenwood doesn't have to prove anything? In the adult world you do, yes.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Martials passing is maybe his worst attribute, and movement his 2nd worse.

Greenwood doesn't have to prove anything? In the adult world you do, yes.
In a city game we needed a goal scorer and Martial isn't one - Ole has literally said with his own mouth that Greenwood is the most clinical finisher at the club & yet plays him not central. If martial's movement is bad then why would you play him as the front striker we rely goals on and not the second striker we don't don't rely goals on who can play deeper if he wants (oh he does do that).

Absolute dross. Makes perfect sense even for just one game to play stop playing such a deep playing forward so damn up the pitch.

meamth

Martial getting the Berba treatment.

Well if a striker doesn't press, he is lazy.
Fact is, he isn't lazy. He is professional footballer, worked all his life.

Meanwhile were eating junk food typing in caf.

He'sRaldo

He had a poor game, but he's being judged harshly. It's normal to say he had a poor game, but to put his career in doubt, he'll never be good enough, etc after a match against Man City away is just hyperbolic.

He is still our 2nd top scorer this season. Our top scorer also struggled when he was expected to get all the goals, so I'm not too surprised at the drop in form. But honestly, I don't expect too much leniency from our fans if he isn't scoring every game.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's not really cut out to be a lone forward/striker. Always outside of the box. Not really been on form since Rashford got injured and we needed him to step up. Could see him work really well in a 442, or just as a fold for two attacking wide players (a la Firmino with maybe 50% of the work rate).

Maybe his ideal position is left-sided forward, where Rashford plays.

Castia

I like Martial he’s one of our better players but we’re in trouble if we expect him to play the #9 role and be our main striker he’s just not got the desire or attributes to do it consistently.

Should be doing everything possible to get Werner in the sumner, Martial will still get plenty of game time playing either through the middle of from the left.

downunder red

Absolute waste of space! He should be running around shouting for the ball turning and taking them on. If he loses it at least he tried. Right now he's just an oxygen thief.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Pretty clear that his lack of running was tactical, we only pressed when they approached the half way line. Anyone who thinks this has anything to do with him being lazy is out of their mind. I also noticed a number of runs off the ball to put him in behind only to be ignored.

His touch has been off for a couple weeks now, seems to have hit a little bit of poor form, coinciding exactly with Rashford's injury. I'm not that concerned because we've actually signed someone with some quality who will be playing very close to Martial.

As has been said before, every striker goes through periods of poor form where they don't score much. No need to be so reactionary.
Well, other than his first season, about 4-5 seasons ago, he's never scored much. So where does "period of poor form" fit in the narrative?

Hawks2008

Really glad we didn't sign Haaland, what if it upset the great Martial and his form dropped...

Has a place in the squad but ultimately he won't ever be the level of we need, we need a guy who can lead the line and has presence in the box and true strikers instincts.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I remember people were ready to burst "Rashford's Bubble" when Martial was injured. Now same treatment is being given to Martial when Rashford is injured. Without supporting cast, i dont know what people expect from strikers. They hardly got proper service yesterday. Martial is not going to run like headless chicken. We dont create enough and most of the striker would struggle in our team. Just look at City yesterday, Sterling had like 3-4 goal scoring chance in one game, how many clear cut chance did we create for Martial?

I feel most of the criticism comes from those who have already decided that he isnt good enough. They hide when he is scoring goals but come here to criticize him when he isnt playing well.

Let Pogba and Scott back in the team and alongwith Bruno, if our strikers are still failing to score then we should start pointing finger at them. At this moment is just pointless exercise and it is mostly done by people who already hate him, just like in case of Rashford.

EwanI Ted

I just don’t think Martial’s work rate is ever going to be up to snuff. In this era of pressing from the front and quick transitions your strikers need to be hyperactive. Martial just ain’t cut out for that. He needs to play in a team where others do all the work for him and all he needs to do is get involved in the very last phase of attacks. Trouble is that’s not how we want to play, or indeed how most teams play at the top these days. Compare Martial with the work rate Aguero showed last night and it puts him in a very bad light. His talent alone means that he’s a good player to have in the squad, but I’ve given up on him ever being a long term first choice for us.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't think he is lazy, his work rate has improved this season, on that area there isn't much to complain.

But yesterday his performance was so bad, he couldn't hold the ball, even messed easy long passes and the worst part is when we had possession and had 2-3 players on the wings building the play he stood next to them instead of making runs. We were desperate for goal and he showed 0 urgency, he really should learn how to play without ball too. Strikers should be capable of hurting teams without ball at their feet, this is something Martial should learn.

Son

Really glad we didn't sign Haaland, what if it upset the great Martial and his form dropped...

Has a place in the squad but ultimately he won't ever be the level of we need, we need a guy who can lead the line and has presence in the box and true strikers instincts.
I agree that Martial isn’t our answer long term as a CF.

Martial’s dribbling and one touch passes in tight spaces are promising but it’s sad he’s not actually capable of playing a false 9 role because that would suit part of his game.

His skillset just isn’t well rounded enough unfortunately. That’s what stops him been an elite forward & we get a striker who’s not quite an out and out anything.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I don't think he is lazy, his work rate has improved this season, on that area there isn't much to complain.

But yesterday his performance was so bad, he couldn't hold the ball, even messed easy long passes and the worst part is when we had possession and had 2-3 players on the wings building the play he stood next to them instead of making runs. We were desperate for goal and he showed 0 urgency, he really should learn how to play without ball too. Strikers should be capable of hurting teams without ball at their feet, this is something Martial should learn.
Quite frankly that's still up to debate given he's only played #9 this season. Would his work rate be the same if he played on the left and had to track back? Doubt it.

Ace of Spades

Yeah, his work rate seems to have improved, but he really needs to be in the box more to score those scrappy goals. He keeps wanting the ball at his feet, and thinks he can always score goals that way. When he is not having a loose game, then he struggles greatly.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's just not a penalty box striker. He doesn't have that natural movement the best strikers have. He's got 100x more talent than somebody like Chicharito, but he'll never score as many goals as him in the box.

For me Martial will always be best as a build up striker, he likes doing his work outside of the box, more akin to a number 10. You can see when the going gets tough his first idea is to pull left and get the ball into his feet, rather than go sit on the last man and look to get a cross. (yes he can do it, but it's not natural for him).

With Rashfords injury and James being in poor form i'd put him back to the left wing and get another striker like Cavani. We'd be much better for it against the low block teams IMO.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's just not a penalty box striker. He doesn't have that natural movement the best strikers have. He's got 100x more talent than somebody like Chicharito, but he'll never score as many goals as him in the box.

For me Martial will always be best as a build up striker, he likes doing his work outside of the box, more akin to a number 10. You can see when the going gets tough his first idea is to pull left and get the ball into his feet, rather than go sit on the last man and look to get a cross. (yes he can do it, but it's not natural for him).

With Rashfords injury and James being in poor form i'd put him back to the left wing and get another striker like Cavani. We'd be much better for it against the low block teams IMO.
Cavani is an interesting example because he doesn't stuck in box either, in fact I don't know a lot of top strikers that do what you described or expect.

Adam-Utd

Cavani is an interesting example because he doesn't stuck in box either, in fact I don't know a lot of top strikers that do what you described or expect.
I'm not suggesting he stands there and does nothing, but Cavani is always there ready for a tap in from a cross, or a header at the last man.

There is less and less poachers in the world of football these days, but I don't feel confident Martial is the answer. He's a fantastic footballer but he's a fair weather player, he lacks the aggression and determination needed when the going gets tough.

Andersonson

So when he passes the ball to a teammate and just stands there after and watches the sky its tactical?

I saw this game with a 80 year old man, and even he said our attackers have to litle movement.

After Martial gave a pass he didnt offer anything after, no movement, no run or even walking. He is way to static

JPRouve

Scout
I'm not suggesting he stands there and does nothing, but Cavani is always there ready for a tap in from a cross, or a header at the last man.

There is less and less poachers in the world of football these days, but I don't feel confident Martial is the answer. He's a fantastic footballer but he's a fair weather player, he lacks the aggression and determination needed when the going gets tough.
No Cavani is not always there, he most of the time isn't there. At his physical peak Cavani had this genuinely great ability of being fast and smart, that's why he would be used wide very often because he wouldn't be in the box anyway but he will end up closing the far post or free at the edge of the box.
The second part is just nonsense, Martial isn't different when the going gets tough and he is actually one of the players wich Rashford that show up at these moments or when they are challenged by their manager, for example when Mourinho was rotating them.

Adam-Utd

No Cavani is not always there, he most of the time isn't there. At his physical peak Cavani had this genuinely great ability of being fast and smart, that's why he would be used wide very often because he wouldn't be in the box anyway but he will end up closing the far post or free at the edge of the box.
The second part is just nonsense, Martial isn't different when the going gets tough and he is actually one of the players wich Rashford that show up at these moments or when they are challenged by their manager, for example when Mourinho was rotating them.
I like Martial a lot as a player but this is the nonsense part. Where was he last night? every time he got the ball he either mis controlled it or ran into a blind alley and lost it.

Don't forget Mourinho was playing him LW, which for me is actually his better position.

Sylar

Hes not unselfish for the team. He doesnt make runs that free up spaces for others. Its like he always expects the ball at his feet, before he runs.

If he really needs other players to do that, hes not a United player. He throws his hands up too much. He seems to be a player that wants to play in a top ready team that will limit his work. Its frustrating.

JPRouve

Scout
I like Martial a lot as a player but this is the nonsense part. Where was he last night? every time he got the ball he either mis controlled it or ran into a blind alley and lost it.

Don't forget Mourinho was playing him LW, which for me is actually his better position.
Last night he was playing for a team that struggled to move the ball in the last third. None of our attacking players had a good game and none of our players with ball either. We were solid defensively and well organized but that's about it. Attackers rely on services in quality and quantity, if it doesn't exist they are out of games.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
One of the last pieces of possession we had where we were knocking it around their box, where was Martial?...

On the fecking left hand side of the box next to the ball :houllier: I mean come on to feck, we are desperate for a goal, he's the centre forward and he is standing outside the edge of the box? Striker is urgently needed.

Guapa

I rate him and would hate to see him go but he doesn’t work hard enough.We can all agree there’s unbelievable talent in there but talent alone is not enough for a top player to be at the highest level.He needs competition for his place and then we’ll see if he wants to work harder for his place or it’s time to move him on.

Said it before that hes not direct enough to be a wide forward and he doesn't get involved enough in dangerous areas to be a 9. We need somebody in that position who is either going to sit in the box hunting chances all game, or get everywhere like a Firmino. Martial is neither of those things. He's a very talented player but i dont think he's good enough to start for the title challenging team we aspire to be.

romufc

I think we should judge him once he has someone to help him. Rashford earlier in the season looked exactly the same because he had no help.

Once Bruno finds his feet and Rashford is back, I am sure there will be a change.

arthurka

I think we should judge him once he has someone to help him. Rashford earlier in the season looked exactly the same because he had no help.

Once Bruno finds his feet and Rashford is back, I am sure there will be a change.
You are joking right? He has been here 5 years now, he should be judge by them not when Rashford comes back.

slored1

He's had a very disappointing season. Not good enough to be our main striker.

romufc

You are joking right? He has been here 5 years now, he should be judge by them not when Rashford comes back.
So how many of the 5 years has he played in the CF role?

15/16 - 56 games 18 goals 11 assists
16/17 - 8 goals 8 assists - hardly played 90 mins was used as a sub
17/18 - 11 goals 9 assists - again was a sub or always subbed off
18/19 - 12 goals 3 assists -
19/20 - 12 goals 5 assists

He has played LW in every other season apart from this.

He has always been hot and cold. When on form he produces numbers, as you can see.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The fact of the matter is, the guy just isn't involved enough in games. Whether that can be construed as him being lazy or not will always be up for debate i suppose. But what isn't up for debate is his lack of involvement in most games. This isn't a one-off thing for him, but a persistent complaint.

Huge swathes of the game passes by without even a mention of his name. That simply isn't good enough really, especially when you consider how much we struggle in games as it is. He's a very frustrating player.

el3mel

Yes Rashford was poor earlier in the season but as I said yesterday you can never accuse Rashford of being invisible in a match while being poor. He keeps on trying, running and forcing the ball while having a poor performance. You can accuse him of bad decisions or being selfish but you can never say he was invisible in a match. On the contrary it's common for Martial to forget he was even playing. When he's poor, he goes completely invisible as if you are playing minus one.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Yes Rashford was poor earlier in the season but as I said yesterday you can never accuse Rashford of being invisible in a match while being poor. He keeps on trying, running and forcing the ball while having a poor performance. You can accuse him of bad decisions or being selfish but you can never say he was invisible in a match. On the contrary it's common for Martial to forget he was even playing. When he's poor, he goes completely invisible as if you are playing minus one.
100% this. When Rashford is playing poorly he runs his Ballacks off.

Stacks

It’s a large fanbase - there’s also a massive contingent for whom Martial can do nothing right.

For there to have been substantial development or improvement on his first season he would have to be one of the standout attacking players in the league, such was his quality and explosiveness when he first arrived.

Martial is a good player and one of our three best along with Rashford and Pogba, for me. Sure, Martial and Rashford are not Rooney and Ronaldo and the fact that they are basically the equivalents in our current lineup does show where we are as a team in comparison to where we use to be. But this is where we are - why look to upgrade on one of our stronger players? Prioritise. Martial actually has a bit of quality so let’s get more quality in the areas where it’s lacking and then go from there and reassess next time. We are where we are because Martial is considered one of our better players - well replacing him means taking one of our better players out of the starting lineup. It’s surely better to upgrade in positions which are currently filled with those who are not amongst our better players, no?
His position is one that defines the overall standard of the team and can elevate from decent team to very good, even great. One attacker can do this. Look at Spurs over the years. If they had Martial instead of Kane they probably would never have punched with the heavyweights

Status
Not open for further replies.