Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

jem

Martial was great last season. Don’t have a clue what’s up with him this season but he was dreadful last night - but Rashford was worse. Bruno was on par too.
feck everyone was awful. What went on? Did they expect an easy game even though this very Sheffield United team has given us a rotten time the last 3 times we’ve played.
I don't think Rashford was worse. He had a few nifty runs (the one where he drew a yellow card comes to mind.) Rashford was shite on the whole (and that play where he just stands there as the Sheffield player waltzed towards our box was ridiculous), but Martial was a whole new level of shite.

lex talionis

I absolutely hate how Martial just stops and starts waving his arms around when things don't go his way. Stop being a drama queen and make things happen

You can't teach attitude and this one is a bad apple
For me the heart of the problem is Tony’s attitude. It really is shocking to watch him walk around, put in a jog every 30 seconds or so and just watch the match go by him. At this point blame has to go on Ole for doing nothing about this and continuing to start him.

I can’t even imagine what it’s like for a neutral to watch him play for United, laughing their ass off while he sulks about the pitch.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
For me the heart of the problem is Tony’s attitude. It really is shocking to watch him walk around, put in a jog every 30 seconds or so and just watch the match go by him. At this point blame has to go on Ole for doing nothing about this and continuing to start him.

I can’t even imagine what it’s like for a neutral to watch him play for United, laughing their ass off while he sulks about the pitch.
It must be annoying too as his teammate.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Yesterday night was the first time I've felt that the team was carrying Martial.

Even though he's lacked goals this season, he's still contributed with some hold up play, an assist here or there, or generally playing well (although a little deeper). All of that seemed to go last night sadly.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I feel that if Ole ends up wanting him gone he’s 100% gone. after Jose also trying to sell him the glazers will surely have to listen this time. In moments of advisory or with any challenge for his position he seems to totally wilt and not want it enough.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Someone suggested that the last season he was so sulky/ineffective was when we signed Ibra and he lost his place as CF/#9 so it’s definitely possible this is all about his nose being out of joint over us signing Cavani. Which is about as snowflake-y as it gets. Hard to think of a better explanation, considering how well he played towards the end of last season.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Been a fan of his over the years but honestly don't know what he's playing at this season. Needs some time on the bench but I really doubt he will take it that well / be inspired to improve or make an impact off the bench.

I was watching a season review of 15/16 the other day and it got me thinking - is he any better than now than when he joined 5 years ago? I don't see much improvement if any.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I'm confident my fat arse would've ran around more than him last night. I wonder how much ground he covered? The most effort he displayed was flinging his hands up when losing the ball.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Someone suggested that the last season he was so sulky/ineffective was when we signed Ibra and he lost his place as CF/#9 so it’s definitely possible this is all about his nose being out of joint over us signing Cavani. Which is about as snowflake-y as it gets. Hard to think of a better explanation, considering how well he played towards the end of last season.
Id be shocked if it is that, as he's still generally been the starter as a 9 when fit and only rotated to keep him fit (entirely undeserved as he's been terrible). I wouldn't say he's sulking so much, but more feeling sorry for himself for his lack of form/confidence and its affecting his work rate too. Whatever the case, he needs benching until he forces his way into the starting 11 again, without a doubt.

DickDastardly

That thought has come to mind.

He does not however, strike me as a very passionate persona.
Maybe that's even the worst combination - a bland uniterested fecker who also sulks.

RedDevil@84

Maybe he is sad because we signed Cavani.
Like he was sad when his LW position was stolen from him that year
Like he was sad when #9 kit number was taken away from him the other year

SuperiorXI

He's just not moving enough always seems to want it to feet and when he does get it he makes the wrong decision and gives it away.

His form has been shite for a while now and needs to be taken out of the limelight, play someone else.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Maybe he is sad because we signed Cavani.
Like he was sad when his LW position was stolen from him that year
Like he was sad when #9 kit number was taken away from him the other year
If that's his mentality then he should join a championship side where he'd be worshipped and has no competition.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He still has like the 4th or 5th fastest recorded speed in the premier league. Sure, he's lost some of his pace as he's filled out more but he's still very quick.
That’s meaningless. Phil Jagielka was statistically the fastest player in the league one season when he was Everton. The eyes don’t lie, Rashford is fast, James is fast, Martial isn’t. Luke Shaw who is supposedly fat shows faster sprint speed than Martial.

Find me one example of Martial being very quick. His game is about his close control, dribbling ability & whipped top corner finishes. He’s not quick.

Jaxa

Honestly that boiled my blood when I seen that on tv, I would hope Ole puts that up on a massive screen in front of the whole squad and shames the individuals , that's disgusting disrespect to the club/manager/fans/the opposition .

RedDevil@84

If that's his mentality then he should join a championship side where he'd be worshipped and has no competition.
That is how I see it at least. He always seems to have something to sulk about. Sometimes it is family problem. Sometimes it is Ibra or Sanchez. Sometimes it is evil Jose asking him to track back.

Manuboy63

I have always stuck up for Martial but he has been poor all season, I feel sorry for Greenwood always the one to be replaced it should Martial.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He won't play now. Before, he kept his place because we were winning, but he was directly responsible for this loss. It should move things around. I maintain that the new kid will replace him by March.

jem

You can imagine how infuriating this must've been for Mourinho. Jose bears a lot of blame for his time at United, but I think he's been somewhat vindicated when it comes to his stance on Martial.

romufc

Honestly that boiled my blood when I seen that on tv, I would hope Ole puts that up on a massive screen in front of the whole squad and shames the individuals , that's disgusting disrespect to the club/manager/fans/the opposition .
Him and Maguire should shame both Martial and Rashford for such poor attitude.

Its totally unacceptable to be ball watching especially when you are the one who got dispossessed of the ball in a dangerous area.

They should be fined wages IMO, you cannot go out there and not put your all into a game.

Peterfeeter

They need to be reminded that fans pay good money to watch them. If they don't want to work hard for ninety minutes once or twice a week ,then show them the door.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
Just another example of a person with all the talent and ability in the world that are throwing away his career by having a shitty attitude. Completely wasteful last night, and his "defending" on SU last goal has to be the most emberrassing thing i have seen in a long, long time. I don't see any value in having him in our team. He can't score, he refuses to help defend and he seems to not care the slightest if we win or lose.

Stacks

Just another example of a person with all the talent and ability in the world that are throwing away his career by having a shitty attitude. Completely wasteful last night, and his "defending" on SU last goal has to be the most emberrassing thing i have seen in a long, long time. I don't see any value in having him in our team. He can't score, he refuses to help defend and he seems to not care the slightest if we win or lose.
He doesn't. I think people place his ability higher than what it actually is. He is no Thierry Henry talent "with a shitty attitude". We think all our players automatically have world class talent but very few players actually do.

Glorio

Ole spoke quite pointedly before yesterday's game about having nowhere to hide because he reviews the running stats with the players. So surely the topic of Martial's off the ball movement (and even on the ball these days) must have come up quite a few times. Is he just blatantly ignoring instructions, or is his confidence so shot that he's freezing?

Either way that's a disappointment at this level. It's not like he has an angry mob breathing down his neck from the stands every game (I do hope for his sake he doesn't come to the CAF though).
My Martial FC membership card is about to be officially tossed out. Running out of patience here.

I think I read somewhere that Lukaku advised us against signing Cavani as it would upset Martial and co.

I read it thinking he was being bitter and dipping in some classless passive aggression (just because there was something around him referencing a clique of frenchmen before). If he was being genuine though, how weak mentally can a person be to expect to hold us to such ransom?

And if Lukaku was being snide and poking at a weak mentality, he looks to have been proven right (considering the alarming dips in Martial's form when each of Zlatan, Lukaku, Sanchez, and now Cavani came through the door).

Holocene

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know where to find running stats for players? Like distance covered per 90 etc. I can't seem to find any websites that have this data. I wonder if @Adnan or @Raees know.

Would love to see running data around Martial.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I've usually supported him, and I think he's shown flashes of talent over the years that made me confident he'd have a good career here, but this season has been a massive disappointment. Scoring stats are bad enough (and there's no excuse as starting striker), but it goes beyond that: he contributes very little overall. People criticise Rash a lot (and he's not perfect) but I feel Marcus's contribution to the team is generally speaking much bigger. Martial this season has held the team back, if anything. I think with a better #9 starting for us, we'd be further ahead, at least in terms of GD. If there's not a drastic turnaround in the second half of the season, I wouldn't be sad to see him leave next summer.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I've usually supported him, and I think he's shown flashes of talent over the years that made me confident he'd have a good career here, but this season has been a massive disappointment. Scoring stats are bad enough (and there's no excuse as starting striker), but it goes beyond that: he contributes very little overall. People criticise Rash a lot (and he's not perfect) but I feel Marcus's contribution to the team is generally speaking much bigger. Martial this season has held the team back, if anything. I think with a better #9 starting for us, we'd be further ahead, at least in terms of GD. If there's not a drastic turnaround in the second half of the season, I wouldn't be sad to see him leave next summer.
Pretty much agree with this, although in this moment, I wouldn't be sad to see him sold in the last few days of the January window.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know where to find running stats for players? Like distance covered per 90 etc. I can't seem to find any websites that have this data. I wonder if @Adnan or @Raees know.

Would love to see running data around Martial.
I don't know mate but @Ekeke would possibly know I'd imagine..

Suspicious Swelling

Would anyone actually like to see him start against Arsenal? Given that we will probably be counter attacking for most of the game and he is quite quick when he isn't sulking.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Pretty much agree with this, although in this moment, I wouldn't be sad to see him sold in the last few days of the January window.
Yeah same here in fact, but only if he's replaced. Cos knowing our luck, he'll be sold and the next day Mason will do his cruciate and Cavani will post something on instagram that gets him banned for 15 games by the FA for no reason.

SATA

I strongly believe that because there are no crowds at the stadium for now, some players know they can get away with it if they don’t put in 100% on the pitch. Fans would have absolutely roasted them if they see that lack of effort from the players. Martial is likely one of those

Rooney in Paris

Scout

Ver interesting.
How is that interesting? Firmino and Aubameyang are taking a lot of flak from what I've seen, Lacazette has surely never been really rated as one of the top PL players, and Mané still contributes to Liverpool good performances I'd think, even though it's clear his season isn't great. But mainly because he's already proven himself at a much higher level, that Martial has never reached.

Status
Not open for further replies.