Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Let's be honest Martial is not even a fifth as good as those two. We absolutely need a top level striker to take us forward.

I can't stand another season of every game hoping Martial can be bothered to run. :mad:
I am delighted that so many fans are of this opinion.
Only a few weeks ago, I posted that in my view, no other top PL side would want Martial.
But a good number said that I was completely wrong and that most would want him. Really...
He is, in my opinion a complete waste of space. Because he seems so disinterested in playing football for one of the top sides in the world.
At best, one good game in ten. And I am totally fed up with his sullen attitude.

croadyman

I will question Ole's decision making if he starts Martial after that. Surely you cannot trust him to fight, which is exactly what the manager wants so considering that, he should be left out of the team.

I would rather see Dan James in the team over Martial tomorrow. You cannot stink the place out like he did and expect to play another minute.
You are absolutely bang on there but with Amad playing for the U23's tomorrow looks like he is in which shows a complete lack of authority on Ole's part but there you go

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Reminds me of a less talented Berba. When it’s going well for him he’s great, when it’s not he might as well not be on the pitch.

croadyman

Reminds me of a less talented Berba. When it’s going well for him he’s great, when it’s not he might as well not be on the pitch.
Yeah when he has no one to challenge for his place it's all hunky dory, however when there is pressure he turns into le sulk sorry I meant Nicolas Anelka and we then suffer as a consequence

snk123

The latest scapegoat of the caf. Just like Antonio Valencia was earlier. Maybe it's a race issue - because Martial was certainly not our worst player the last few games. Yes, he's out of form and confidence but the knee jerk reactions would make you think he conceded a penalty and was red carded in our loss against Sheffield United.

DDG made two howlers but he still wasn't voted the worst player :lol:

snk123

Yeah when he has no one to challenge for his place it's all hunky dory, however when there is pressure he turns into le sulk sorry I meant Nicolas Anelka and we then suffer as a consequence
Yeah - just like when he lost his place against Sanchez and challenged to win it back? And also kept Mourinho in the job. You lot have the memories of a goldfish.

romufc

The latest scapegoat of the caf. Just like Antonio Valencia was earlier. Maybe it's a race issue - because Martial was certainly not our worst player the last few games. Yes, he's out of form and confidence but the knee jerk reactions would make you think he conceded a penalty and was red carded in our loss against Sheffield United.

Scapegoat? Martial has been backed since his good form last season. Form only. I don;t think you can make this a race issue when fans have called out Maguire, Lindelof, Fellaini, Alexis in the past too.

Out of form and confidence does not impact running ability does it? showing appetite? tracking the player when you lose the ball?

Knee Jerk reactions? he cost us against Spurs with a petulant red card, missed a sitter against PSG, missed many other chances this season.

Against Fulham played passes to Luke Shaw that he was never making, throwing his hands in the air etc.

Against SU, Bruno had to make runs behind the defence because our CF was static, Bruno had to chase Ampadu when Martial misplaced a pass and stood still.

Then he gave the ball away on the left inside our half, only to get tackled and made no effort to win the ball back.

Lack of confidence / form is an excuse for not playing well, struggling to finish / create but is not an excuse for lack of effort unfortunately.

edgecutter

Blowing hot and cold was acceptable when he first came here. But at 25 can we keep accepting these ups and downs for a guy that is paid a fortune to be a top striker? Serious questions need to be asked about whether we can persist with him.

RedDevil@84

Quick. Find me the race card.

RUCK4444

I am delighted that so many fans are of this opinion.
Only a few weeks ago, I posted that in my view, no other top PL side would want Martial.
But a good number said that I was completely wrong and that most would want him. Really...
He is, in my opinion a complete waste of space. Because he seems so disinterested in playing football for one of the top sides in the world.
At best, one good game in ten. And I am totally fed up with his sullen attitude.
To be honest I've been off and on the fence with Martial, his talent bought him some time but my patience ran out a long time ago.

It would be different if it were simply poor form but it's a lack of desire, as soon as the penny dropped with me on that I had no interest in seeing him play for us again.

Feck me I wouldn't forgive Ronaldo if he were doing the same so I'm not about to forgive Martial who in reality is a worse player now than he was when he arrived.

He's neither prolific or interested enough to even make the squad in my opinion, this season in particular.

RUCK4444

Seriously? WTF.

This place has bought Martial as much feckin time as possible, he's a lazy uninterested cnut, the people who have realised this would be saying the same if he were white.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Do not compare a hard working player with one of the laziest players we've had. Most importantly, do not bring race into this.

I loved Valencia the winger and the right back. We knew what he'd been through, he had a bad injury (very unlucky) and somehow he was never the same winger. After that he was converted into a RB, played for 2 managers where the team was competing for top 4 and yet never stopped working, never stopped running. He was never lazy. He never moaned and always being respectful towards United.

What has Martial been through as a player? oh right, Zlatan replaced him as a number 9 and now Cavani is doing the same. Big deal. Enough to make this little baby cry in his sleep because it seems like he does not like competition from a better CF. The team was competing for the top spot and he couldn't be bothered to run. He was not even tired, he was simply lazy. He was a disgrace.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

Here we go...

tjb

Berbatov had Bergkamp level technique. He could pass, had great balance and could essentially slow it down for you in the final third in a way that allowed for better decision making to be made in that area of the pitch. Fergie signed him because he reminded him of Cantona. Martial is not like Berbatov or Henry or anyone else. He doesn't have that level of technique or balance. He's not a firmino either, firmino can actually pass..Martial can't.

snk123

Seriously? WTF.

This place has bought Martial as much feckin time as possible, he's a lazy uninterested cnut, the people who have realised this would be saying the same if he were white.
He was players player of the year last season! :lol: You think 5-6 really bad games is "as much fecking time as possible"? He's out of form - will be back tearing up defences soon.

Raven

He's in poor form and deserves dropping but people calling him a cnut really are just nasty. He's our player and even if your upset with his form, try to be an adult about it.

snk123

Berbatov had Bergkamp level technique. He could pass, had great balance and could essentially slow it down for you in the final third in a way that allowed for better decision making to be made in that area of the pitch. Fergie signed him because he reminded him of Cantona. Martial is not like Berbatov or Henry or anyone else. He doesn't have that level of technique or balance. He's not a firmino either, firmino can actually pass..Martial can't.
:lol: Martial has elite technique.

A weak mentality yes and needs things going for him to get confidence. But people questioning his technique really make the whole conversation ridiculous.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Blowing hot and cold was acceptable when he first came here. But at 25 can we keep accepting these ups and downs for a guy that is paid a fortune to be a top striker? Serious questions need to be asked about whether we can persist with him.
As a regular starter its clear we can't. As the 4th guy in a rotation for the front 3 spots, he's fine (and you need good depth). Someone streaky like him is good for that as when he's on it, he'll get a run of starts, and when he's off it, he's back as an impact sub at best. Rashford has the left wing long term, the striker and right wing are up for grabs. Greenwood might make one of them his own, or might became more along the 4th man in the rotation level. Cavani as the striker is good for now, but obviously its short term. Thats why its important to sign Sancho for the right, as if Greenwood is to really make it, it'll be as a striker anyway. There's no route that I see Martial as a long term starter or anything better than the 4th guy.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Here we go again. The race card. First in the Pogba thread and now here. However I haven’t seen the same people playing the race card in the Rashford thread when he is being criticised.
Also didn’t realise Maguire was black. Our “fans” literally preferred him to stay in Greece after the summer debacle than play for us.
Bruno also gets questioned a lot despite being our best player.
I am all for spotting (hidden) racist posts but bringing race everytime their favourite player is criticised is really getting tiresome.

tjb

:lol: Martial has elite technique.

A weak mentality yes and needs things going for him to get confidence. But people questioning his technique really make the whole conversation ridiculous.
You're ok with people comparing it with Berbatov's?

Chairman Steve

I’m in the camp of selling him really, because can we really keep someone on that amount of money on the bench most weeks? Pretty sure he earns more than Kane, who is streets ahead of Martial.

romufc

He was players player of the year last season! :lol: You think 5-6 really bad games is "as much fecking time as possible"? He's out of form - will be back tearing up defences soon.
I am sorry but hes been given over 20 games. His last bit of form was last July. Since then Martial is non existent.

Got a petulant red card against Spurs
Came back and got a charity goal in the CL from Bruno to help his confidence, didn't work
Missed sitter in the CL
Missed glaring chances in the PL in games

Until the SU game, there was alot of Marital backing, as soon as you stop showing effort, the fans will turn on you.

I dont think we should even have him in the squad for the next few games, give him the Europa league because there are players who will put the effort in.

RUCK4444

I couldn't give a single feck if the players like him. If you think his application and desire this season, game in, game out, has been acceptable then there's nothing to discuss because your expectations of a United striker must be extremely low.

He had his best season last year, struggled for double figures at any other time, he constantly has a question mark over his head before a game over whether or not he will apply himself and turn up.

You can't honestly sit there and tell me you feel confident in this player when you see his name on the teamsheet. And if you agree with that last sentence then there's nothing to debate here, we can't carry half-arsed players.

Zen86

It's very unfair to suggest he doesn't care. He has a somewhat languid demeanour and style of play, but I can guarantee that he's just as frustrated at his form as anyone else. He would have been dropped long ago if not. That said, blowing hot and cold has been the story of his United career. He's very much a confidence player, he's never come across as the most resilient.

I'd say he has an odd skillset, to the point where he doesn't necessarily fit into any one position. He's a very good finisher, but he isn't instinctive enough to be the CF. He's a very good dribbler, but he isn't explosive or capable enough on the wings. He's got great technique and control, but he's not suited to holding the ball up or particularly adept with his passing. His comfort zone is getting the ball and trying to dribble his way through the defence, but it's quite predictable and easy to defend against.

I really like him as a player but I've never been convinced he can be our main CF.

romufc

I couldn't give a single feck if the players like him. If you think his application and desire this season, game in, game out, has been acceptable then there's nothing to discuss because your expectations of a United striker must be extremely low.

He had his best season last year, struggled for double figures at any other time, he constantly has a question mark over his head before a game over whether or not he will apply himself and turn up.

You can't honestly sit there and tell me you feel confident in this player when you see his name on the teamsheet. And if you agree with that last sentence then there's nothing to debate here, we can't carry half-arsed players.
This is not even fans having an agenda against him. At the start of the season, Pogba was doing exactly the same, Ole took him out the team and only played again when he regained the trust of the manager.

The same has to happen to Martial, he should not start another PL match until he can sort his application out.

As the poster suggested, this is not based on skill, race, age or anything, its based on attitude of a player on the football pitch.

RedDevil@84

It's very unfair to suggest he doesn't care. He has a somewhat languid demeanour and style of play, but I can guarantee that he's just as frustrated at his form as anyone else. He would have been dropped long ago if not. That said, blowing hot and cold has been the story of his United career. He's very much a confidence player, he's never come across as the most resilient.
After 6 years, if he is still blowing hot and cold, think it is time to let go.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

Martial was quite easily the worst player the other night. You can stop the race nonsense right there. It's got nothing to do with it. He's scored 2 league goals and it's February in 2 days. That's appalling.

Ludens the Red

This is just getting daft now. Do you think you’re being a good person when you say things like this?
It’s very unhelpful not just in debating Martial but to race issues in general. Going around randomly accusing people of racism doesn’t make you a good anti racist person so stop doing it.

croadyman

I don't think we should get rid of him, he's still a very good player. He's not dependable enough to warrant a guaranteed starting spot, though.
I would happily get rid if it helps fund a move for one of our key positions to address

RedDevil@84

I don't think we should get rid of him, he's still a very good player. He's not dependable enough to warrant a guaranteed starting spot, though.
Well, for over 200K pw, he can't be a sometimes option. Given the wages, we are stuck with him for a while I guess.

SAFMUTD

The problem is not that he's out of form, the problem is he has one of the worst attitudes I've ever seen not just in football but in any profesional sport.

He doesn't give a feck, totally uninterested and a massive lack of effort whatsoever.

It's about making an statement for all players that this kind of attitude and workrate won't be tolerated. If he's not benched for tomorrow's game then Ole is sending a really poor message to the squad.

Enough of giving him minutes to let him find his best form, firstly he shouldn't be starting when he's on such poor form but the lack of effort is way over the top. That nails it for me, let's sell him and bring someone who actually plays as if he gives a feck.

croadyman

The problem is not that he's out of form, the problem is he has one of the worst attitudes I've ever seen not just in football but in any profesional sport.

He doesn't give a feck, totally uninterested and a massive lack of effort whatsoever.

It's about making an statement for all players that this kind of attitude and workrate won't be tolerated. If he's not benched for tomorrow's game then Ole is sending a really poor message to the squad.

Enough of giving him minutes to let him find his best form, firstly he shouldn't be starting when he's on such poor form but the lack of effort is way over the top. That nails it for me, let's sell him and bring someone who actually plays as if he gives a feck.
Yeah completely agree that him not being benched sends out that exact message that you get away with garbage performances and still be picked for the next game, the problem is we don't seem to have anyone else capable of taking his spot in the squad let alone on the bench

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Martial was quite easily the worst player the other night. You can stop the race nonsense right there. It's got nothing to do with it. He's scored 2 league goals and it's February in 2 days. That's appalling.
Agreed.

SAFMUTD

Yeah completely agree that him not being benched sends out that exact message that you get away with garbage performances and still be picked for the next game, the problem is we don't seem to have anyone else capable of taking his spot in the squad let alone on the bench
Of course we do, play Cavani upfront, Rashford of the left and Greenwood on the right. I rather see Mata or James get minutes than Martial. He needs a proper punishment, that performance was beyond insulting.

MattofManchester

Delusional.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Our best from three is currently Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood. Nobody can argue that. Problem is Ole really likes Martial and will probably continue to afford him chances in the hope he gets going again.

RUCK4444

Exactly.

I mean does anybody think that Klopp would tolerate this languid lazy shite from Martial?

Absolutely not because it undermines the hard working ethos and style of play.

Why the feck should we carry him like we have this season. Not scoring is one thing (and more than enough on its own as a reason to get rid of a striker), but the lack of desire and application on the pitch is simply not acceptable.

We shouldn’t accept that from any player whether it be a legend or an average player like Martial.

Status
Not open for further replies.