Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Which one was world class? :lol:

The Cavani goal was my favourite but I don't think any of them were particularly special.
McTominay goal deserved all angles video tbf. It was such a clean hit.

OldTrevil

Which one was world class? :lol:

The Cavani goal was my favourite but I don't think any of them were particularly special.
His first one. I don't even know why you would smugly put a laughing emoji at that. Go back and watch it and tell me how many strikers are capable of that. The whole thing was top drawer by the way, from Bruno's chip to the finish

The Cavani goal was a run of the mill header, nothing was impressive about the goal apart from Shaw's cross

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
His first one. I don't even know why you would smugly put a laughing emoji at that. Go back and watch it and tell me how many strikers are capable of that. The whole thing was top drawer by the way, from Bruno's chip to the finish

The Cavani goal was a run of the mill header, nothing was impressive about the goal apart from Shaw's cross
I actually agree now that I think about it. If Cavani had scored that goal people would have rightly been going mad but with Martial, he doesn't get the praise he deserves for the good things and gets massively over scrutinized for the bad things. To be fair though, the Mctominay goal is also pretty good, its a very clean strike.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yeah, Martial's first goal was great, to be fair. A lovely pass from Bruno, excellent control on the chest, and a hell of a finish from a player who hasn't scored for a while.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It was a good hit for sure, but in no way better than Martial's
Yeah maybe for you. For me McTominay's was the best goal. Not sure there is anything much to argue, people like different type of goals and looks like majority of people liked McTominay's goal or at least from the voted bunch.

troylocker

Blimey, talk about building a strawman
Sorry! I agree that was over the line.

I'm just so frustrated with diving and cheating that it turns my stomach, even more so when it is from our own. I've played fotball for almost 40 years myself and have broken bones on the pitch more than once, and maybe once a season I was hurt so bad that I needed to roll around on the pitch screaming. Now you can hardly watch a match anymore without seeing players rolling around crying about imaginary pain after every single tackle. They go down like a sack of potatoes for a touch on the cheek or the faintest contact in the box. These guys does it, with 10 cameras zoomed in on them in HD broadcasted to millions of people, at every single tackle. Pro footballplayers are supposed to be rolemodels and idols for our kids and I think it needs to be addressed.

Contact is allowed in football and it doesn't justify a freekick or penalty unless you are hindered or get a disadvantage from it. Bednareks contact with Martial in this case was unintentional and didn't cause him to fall, it didn't cause him to step in the air with his left either, it looked like he was going down before the contact and a constructed attempt to win a penalty. It is cheating and he should be called out for it. He showed on several occasions in the same match that he has plenty of skill when on his feet, so there is no need to cheat. Dean and the other refs allowing this is of course the biggest problem, as they should be handing out a lot more yellows in situations like that.

Last edited:

TrustInJanuzaj

Why do people reckon Martial does get extra criticism compared to other players in our squad? Is it a carry over from Mourinho and how he dragged his image through the dirt? Or is it just that languid style he has that make people not warm to his character?

I genuinely struggle to work out how he's not universally loved among Utd fans. He's got pace, skill, dribbling, scores fantastic goals (and usually at an excellent ratio) and from what I've seen he does appear to love the club. Add to that he's scored some massive goals in his Utd career and I can't help but think he is just fairly underappreciated by so many fans. Every time someone seems to dislike him, it usually revolves around some of the tired cliches about him which I find pretty frustrating to argue against.

hubbuh

I'm just so frustrated with diving and cheating that it turns my stomach, even more so when it is from our own. I've played fotball for almost 40 years myself and have broken bones on the pitch more than once, and maybe once a season I was hurt so bad that I needed to roll around on the pitch screaming. Now you can hardly watch a match anymore without seeing players rolling around crying about imaginary pain after every single tackle. They go down like a sack of potatoes for a touch on the cheek or the faintest contact in the box. These guys does it, with 10 cameras zoomed in on them in HD broadcasted to millions of people, at every single tackle. Pro footballplayers are supposed to be rolemodels and idols for our kids. I think it needs to be addressed.

Contact is allowed in football and it doesn't justify a freekick or penalty unless you are hindered or get a disadvantage from it. Bednareks contact with Martial in this case didn't cause him to fall, it didn't cause him to step in the air with his left either, it looked like he was going down before the contact and a constructed attempt to win a penalty. It is cheating and he should be called out for it. He showed on several occasions in the same match that he has plenty of skill when on his feet, so there is no need to cheat. Dean and the refs allowing this is of course the biggest problem, as they should be handing out a lot more yellows in situations like that.
The problem is that referees rarely give penalties if players don't go down and/or make a fuss. The sport is increasingly less physical and Martial going down for the slightest touch as he did against Southampton is a symptom of what the game is nowadays. I played a football tournament in Spain when I was a teenager and the young players there would go down like a sack of potatoes for very little. It's become so ingrained that it doesn't seem fair to call out players for attempting to take advantage of it. The completely fake simulations deserve derision, there's no doubt about that. I also don't understand why Bednarek's red card was rescinded but Luiz's wasn't. Both were running behind the player, both only just caught the attacking man, and yet only one was apparently worthy of a red.

SirMarcusRashford

Except that goes against everything Martial has done in his time here. Debut goal against Liverpool, the winner against Spurs, the winner against Chelsea last season, game decider against City last season, winner against Newcastle to save Jose's job, and that just off the top of my head. The narrative around Martial is just ridiculous, he's a top player having a poor season, that can happen to anyone especially players who are still maturing into their game.
He wasn't great last season or the seasons before that, his goals masked his poor performances, he's always been a maramite player (hence why he's always had his critics, hence why he was dropped from the France squad for 2 years+) and a marmite player is what he will always be, he will never light the Premier League up and be the main driving force of Manchester United, he will never be a player where other players want to join Manchester United because they want to play alongside Anthony Martial.

A team who have Anthony Martial starting more times than not cannot be great and with that he's deadwood, taking up someone's place who can do a better job and actually make the team a better team and i hope this gets sorted in the summer. I would say the Anthony Martial problem is the biggest problem we have at the club right now (bigger than Pogba) and United sticking with him is holding the club back, if someone is willing to pay £40m+ for him i'd snatch their fecking hands off.

Last edited:

TrustInJanuzaj

He wasn't great last season or the seasons before that, his goals masked his poor performances, he's always been a maramite player (hence why he's always had his critics, hence why he was dropped from the France squad for 2 years+) and a marmite player is what he will always be, he will never light the Premier League up and be the main driving force of Manchester United, he will never be a player where other players want to join Manchester United because they want to play alongside Anthony Martial.

A team who have Anthony Martial starting more times than not cannot be great and with that he's deadwood, taking up someone's place who can do a better job and actually make the team a better team and i hope this gets sorted in the summer. I would say the Anthony Martial problem is the biggest problem we have at the club right now (bigger than Pogba) and United sticking with him is holding the club back, if someone is willing to pay £40m+ for him i'd snatch their fecking hands off.
What a load of absolute nonsense. He was our best player last season, where were you then?

troylocker

Why do people reckon Martial does get extra criticism compared to other players in our squad? Is it a carry over from Mourinho and how he dragged his image through the dirt? Or is it just that languid style he has that make people not warm to his character?

I genuinely struggle to work out how he's not universally loved among Utd fans. He's got pace, skill, dribbling, scores fantastic goals (and usually at an excellent ratio) and from what I've seen he does appear to love the club. Add to that he's scored some massive goals in his Utd career and I can't help but think he is just fairly underappreciated by so many fans. Every time someone seems to dislike him, it usually revolves around some of the tired cliches about him which I find pretty frustrating to argue against.
On his "ON" day he is absolutely brilliant! If he was allways ON and gave his all, he wouldn't get much stick.

He isn't though, and I think most of the criticism comes because he also have his "OFF" days where his negative body language, lack of enthusiasm, interest, intensity and energy in his game shines through and is frustrating to watch. I also think he has a lot to learn when it comes to off the ball movement and setting himself up in good scoring positions more often.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord

Because he's lazy.

He doesn't have Rashford's magical ability to play poorly, yet still score. When Martial is playing like crap he doesn't do the dirty work either (pressing, marking his man, making runs of the ball). Him and a 34 year old Cavani are like night and day in this regard.

If his low work rate is just an optical illusion, feel free to disprove this notion with stats.

We know how important he's been in the past, but we expect a little more than waiting to receive the ball to your feet 90 minutes long during a dry spell. He's 25, if he doesn't become more consistent during the next two seasons, he can't be a starter for a club with title aspirations.

TrustInJanuzaj

On his "ON" day he is absolutely brilliant! If he was allways ON and gave his all, he wouldn't get much stick.

He isn't though, and I think most of the criticism comes because he also have his "OFF" days where his negative body language, lack of enthusiasm, interest, intensity and energy in his game shines through and is frustrating to watch. I also think he has a lot to learn when it comes to off the ball movement and setting himself up in good scoring positions more often.
That’s fair enough and I wouldn’t disagree but where I do seem to differ from others is that I can name 4/5 way more frustrating players in this team, Rashford included. We haven’t been a consistent team since Fergie left (until now) and so I think it’s unfair to single out one player in all that mess.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

My eyes!

MattofManchester

Because he's frankly not good enough to be the main of a club planning on winning leagues.
If we're going to be a club fighting for top 6, fine, keep him.
But we're not.
It seems a common problem that bias gets in the way of reason these days.

He had half a season that was sublime last season before he reverted to type this season, with heavily inconsistent performances.
At 25, there really shouldn't be any more excuses for the form he puts in, the lack of pressing or movement which have not seen improvement.

People keep expecting him to turn into some World Class forward, when he's not. I like Martial, but I also think it's time he ply his trade somewhere else.
We need a lot better than what he offers.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Because he's frankly not good enough to be the main of a club planning on winning leagues.
If we're going to be a club fighting for top 6, fine, keep him.
But we're not.
It seems a common problem that bias gets in the way of reason these days.

He had half a season that was sublime last season before he reverted to type this season, with heavily inconsistent performances.
At 25, there really shouldn't be any more excuses for the form he puts in, the lack of pressing or movement which have not seen improvement.

People keep expecting him to turn into some World Class forward, when he's not. I like Martial, but I also think it's time he ply his trade somewhere else.
We need a lot better than what he offers.
Ideally every top club should have good players like Martial to be ready to come off the bench to change the game. If he can be convinced to be working hard for 20 minutes he can be a great player for us. Him starting should be really out of question because in his more hardworking games, he´s not making runs, wants the ball to be played into feet, hardly reaches full speed because he´s saving energy for some time later.

Ideally we should buy someone like Haaland to upgrade our front 11 to demote Martial regularly to bench where his place is, ifwe want to reach the top. It is really strange to see Cavani at 33 to be able to cover much more ground, press and showcase better striker play than Martial at 25. And neither Cavani is world class. This club should have the highest ambitions and not wait for players to kick on after 5 seasons. Let´s move on forward.

Trex

Martial is one the most gifted player at the club,at 18 he showed the promise to become one of the best forwards in football with his physical and technical qualities, the frustrating thing about him is he doesn't apply himself enough.... His attitude and mentality is his only limitation, you look at the likes of Bruno,Rashford,Fred,Mctominay,Cavani,if he applied himself like this guys,He'll match any forward in the league, at his best he is unplayable, but he doesn't try hard enough,he doesn't have the hunger to be the best,that's were the criticism comes from

troylocker

That’s fair enough and I wouldn’t disagree but where I do seem to differ from others is that I can name 4/5 way more frustrating players in this team, Rashford included. We haven’t been a consistent team since Fergie left (until now) and so I think it’s unfair to single out one player in all that mess.
He is not alone in the frustrating player department. ;)
I know he's a good proffesional, but when it allways looks like he doesn't give a shit and is about to die from boredom, it's hard to believe he's giving his all. Look at a player like Haaland, who looks like there's lives on the line every time he enters the pitch. He puts so much effort and energy in his involvements and allways yells, complains, laughs and cheers with and to his teammates. Martial would definitely benefit from being louder and sparking a little life in his body language and facial expressions.

Last edited:

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.

I'm just so frustrated with diving and cheating that it turns my stomach, even more so when it is from our own. I've played fotball for almost 40 years myself and have broken bones on the pitch more than once, and maybe once a season I was hurt so bad that I needed to roll around on the pitch screaming. Now you can hardly watch a match anymore without seeing players rolling around crying about imaginary pain after every single tackle. They go down like a sack of potatoes for a touch on the cheek or the faintest contact in the box. These guys does it, with 10 cameras zoomed in on them in HD broadcasted to millions of people, at every single tackle. Pro footballplayers are supposed to be rolemodels and idols for our kids and I think it needs to be addressed.

Contact is allowed in football and it doesn't justify a freekick or penalty unless you are hindered or get a disadvantage from it. Bednareks contact with Martial in this case was unintentional and didn't cause him to fall, it didn't cause him to step in the air with his left either, it looked like he was going down before the contact and a constructed attempt to win a penalty. It is cheating and he should be called out for it. He showed on several occasions in the same match that he has plenty of skill when on his feet, so there is no need to cheat. Dean and the other refs allowing this is of course the biggest problem, as they should be handing out a lot more yellows in situations like that.
I agree with your general point about the diving, even more now there are no fans and you can hear the dipshits screaming like someone has just told them their dinner guests are Rees-mogg, pritti patel and matt nocock. I cant agree with the bolded though, they are sportsmen, nothing else, most of them are to be honest, on the thick side, and a lot of them appear to have very questionable moral compasses. I would say the onus is on the parents to explain to kids why these are some really shitty choices for role models.

troylocker

I agree with your general point about the diving, even more now there are no fans and you can hear the dipshits screaming like someone has just told them their dinner guests are Rees-mogg, pritti patel and matt nocock. I cant agree with the bolded though, they are sportsmen, nothing else, most of them are to be honest, on the thick side, and a lot of them appear to have very questionable moral compasses. I would say the onus is on the parents to explain to kids why these are some really shitty choices for role models.
Hard disagree with you here.

OldTrevil

Yeah maybe for you. For me McTominay's was the best goal. Not sure there is anything much to argue, people like different type of goals and looks like majority of people liked McTominay's goal or at least from the voted bunch.
Yea there's nothing to argue about it, any way you analyse the goals, be it in terms of technique, placement or power, Martial's comes out on top. Most people voting for McT's goal doesn't change my view, it only makes the whole thing more comical. It's also a microcosm about many of the fan polls, that are heavily influenced by media narratives about the players or the subject instead of actual reality.

He's had a negative bias surrounding him for as long as I can remember, and a lot of it goes back to Jose era and the character assassination job he did on him for sure. I also think a section of the English want to hound him out the club hoping that it will lead to the thriving of their darlings Mason and Rashy. Every good performance of his is underplayed, and if he doesn't score, it's turned to shit. As you mentioned earlier, a quick example is that goal he scored, if anyone else scored that it would have got its deserved adulation. Anyway he's lived through the nonsense for the last few years so he's well experienced with it, I'm not worried about him.

Remember the geese

Yea there's nothing to argue about it, any way you analyse the goals, be it in terms of technique, placement or power, Martial's comes out on top. Most people voting for McT's goal doesn't change my view, it only makes the whole thing more comical.
Incredibly petty to be so outraged and defensive about something so trivial.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s going to score again on Saturday and the months of frustration will slowly be washed away. He’s a very streaky player though and is likely to go through rough patches and for me he just doesn’t work hard enough or give defenders enough to think about when he’s off it. Himself Rashford and Greenwood are also all a bit too similar. Ball to feet not running in behind etc. I’m hoping Diallo offers something a bit different

TrustInJanuzaj

He’s going to score again on Saturday and the months of frustration will slowly be washed away. He’s a very streaky player though and is likely to go through rough patches and for me he just doesn’t work hard enough or give defenders enough to think about when he’s off it. Himself Rashford and Greenwood are also all a bit too similar. Ball to feet not running in behind etc. I’m hoping Diallo offers something a bit different
I agree Greenwood is similar but I think Rashford is entirely opposite. He runs in behind all game which is why he thrives on space but in tight games, he doesn't come to feet enough and isn't good enough with his back to goal. The only thing they have in common is that they both lack that real striker's instinct in the box which Cavani showcases.

Ali Dia

I agree Greenwood is similar but I think Rashford is entirely opposite. He runs in behind all game which is why he thrives on space but in tight games, he doesn't come to feet enough and isn't good enough with his back to goal. The only thing they have in common is that they both lack that real striker's instinct in the box which Cavani showcases.
Rasford until recently was getting the ball deep and passing it backwards and sideways a lot. Coming deeper to get to ball and not doing anything with it.. also letting his man double up on the full back which drives me nuts. I understand against a low block there’s no space behind but that’s really where we needed one of the 3 to do the physical job in the middle and pressure the defenders and move them around and none of them stepped up until Cavani came along. I think all 3 have wide forward characteristics. Cavani is an actual striker and the difference in the runs he makes and the aggressive pressing style is pretty stark to me. Greenwood might develop there but I think he’s in his second best position at the moment just a little out of form.

KennyBurner

Learn to be role models for your own kids. You're 40 plus expecting a 25 year old to be role models and idols????? Society in a nutshell.

OldTrevil

This is the first season that Martial has gone through a barren spell, something that all strikers go through so I don't agree with him being a very streaky player as you mentioned. He's also heavily involved in our buildup whether he's scoring or not, something that tends to get ignored. Also I don't think he's that similar to Rashford other than in their ability to produce a moment of magic out of no where. Rashford is suited to the wing, where he can use his explosiveness and dribbling in less traffic while running into space.

Martial, on top of his technique is now built like a proper center forward, and is more suited to playing in the middle than ever. He's fine with receiving the ball in traffic and 8 times out of 10 will retain the ball under pressure. He's a willing passer and rarely selfish when presented with an option to advance the ball, and is a better finisher. It's also not true that all he does is come short for ball to feet either, he constantly varies his runs to get in behind, and is adept at timing them to stay onside. Mason is tidy on the ball and a very good finisher as we've all seen, however the rest of his game is still raw and I believe a stint on the wing will be good for his development like how it helped RVP improve his all round game. They're all at different times of their development anyway and I don't see the need to constantly lump them together.

Ali Dia

This is the first season that Martial has gone through a barren spell, something that all strikers go through so I don't agree with him being a very streaky player as you mentioned. He's also heavily involved in our buildup whether he's scoring or not, something that tends to get ignored. Also I don't think he's that similar to Rashford other than in their ability to produce a moment of magic out of no where. Rashford is suited to the wing, where he can use his explosiveness and dribbling in less traffic while running into space.

Martial, on top of his technique is now built like a proper center forward, and is more suited to playing in the middle than ever. He's fine with receiving the ball in traffic and 8 times out of 10 will retain the ball under pressure. He's a willing passer and rarely selfish when presented with an option to advance the ball, and is a better finisher. It's also not true that all he does is come short for ball to feet either, he constantly varies his runs to get in behind, and is adept at timing them to stay onside. Mason is tidy on the ball and a very good finisher as we've all seen, however the rest of his game is still raw and I believe a stint on the wing will be good for his development like how it helped RVP improve his all round game. They're all at different times of their development anyway and I don't see the need to constantly lump them together.
he doesn’t make agressive runs. Most of the time he takes the ball to the left of a strikers natural starting position and tries to link up with 1/2s. He doesn’t get involved in the physical side of things enough and his lack of intense work rate and pressing has been pointed out many times. I honestly think he’s a good player just not the right player. I hope you’re right and we don’t have to spend a fortune on a striker soon but I reckon we will unless martial hits top form again asap. You can’t be scoring 4 goals in the league by February and starting most games and expect to not have competition breathing down your neck.

Quinzaine

absolutely clueless, i don’t know where to begin with this

romufc

You do not watch football right?

432JuanMata

You do not watch football right?
He’s kind of right about Martial having a few stinkers last year and he is hit and miss quite often during his time here but saying he wasn’t great last year was just stupid he was arguably our best player.
The most disappointing thing is he is 25 and after having a great season last year this was the season to kick in and it’s been so poor. He is no longer young he needs to put in performances week in week out. I’m still on the fence if he is capable of that

romufc

He’s kind of right about Martial having a few stinkers last year and he is hit and miss quite often during his time here but saying he wasn’t great last year was just stupid he was arguably our best player.
The most disappointing thing is he is 25 and after having a great season last year this was the season to kick in and it’s been so poor. He is no longer young he needs to put in performances week in week out. I’m still on the fence if he is capable of that
I have had enough of him but he was our best player post lockdown, everything good we did came from him.

troylocker

Learn to be role models for your own kids. You're 40 plus expecting a 25 year old to be role models and idols????? Society in a nutshell.
haha!
Interesting angle.

I teach my kids not to cheat in sports, yes!
Of course all parents should strive to be the best role models they can for their kids. But kids also have their heroes in sports and other arenas. Do you really think football would be this big business or be able pay players 300k a week if they weren’t superstars that millions of kids idolized and looked up to?
I expect grown up professional athletes, making millions on fans paying to watch them perform, to be aware of the fact that young kids look up to them and be good ambassadors for their sport and their employer. I also expect them to project good values when in the spotlight. With that paycheck comes responsibilty and I don’t think it‘s too much to ask.

Imagine a society where 25 year old multimillioneers were adults with responsibilities.....

432JuanMata

I have had enough of him but he was our best player post lockdown, everything good we did came from him.
Yeah I’m in the same boat, sick of him this season and many other seasons but last year he was great and I can’t believe anyone is saying otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.