Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Did he lose his pace? He looks slow compared to last season and before.

Mixed game from him, did well in the build up, hold up play but his 'In the box' game needs lot of improvement. Martial of last season with same chances would have scored a lot.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I thought he played very well. Had some dangerous moments, created a few really good chances for himself but as has often been the case this season he's hesitated in front of goal and the defender has got in. There was a couple of unfortunate blocks in there which could have gone either way. What's encouraging is his form is much better than early in the season. I think personally we have to drop Rashford for a few games as he's been absolutely shocking the last few games.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
He's 26 this year, should be in his prime or fast approaching and last year you would have bet on him taking that extra step to become one of the top players in the league in his position.

For whatever reason, it hasn't happened and he's had a poor season, he has a goals to game ratio of 0.34% for someone who has spent all his time either as a striker or an inside forward, that's not good enough. I have no doubt he still has his uses but he isn't good enough, we can't hold out hope that it will suddenly change, this season has been a huge let down for him personally.

The coaches will know better if something is affecting him, that's not for us to speculate on effort/ mood/ attitude, it's easy to make snap judgements but we will never know but Rashford has a very similar output in goals, much higher assists despite playing as the #9 far less often and over 2 years younger. Rashford isn't the only barometer, no other top 6/7 side in PL would take him as their main striker from the people I have spoken to, that's telling, squad player? Sure but based on previous facts he seems to prefer the trust and love and doesn't like being a squad player so I would suggest it's time to move on.

romufc

Seems like holding the ball up well now is good enough for his delusional fan club.

So what if he held the ball up well. His final ball and shots were awful yet again.

Rashford was equally poor but yet again comes up with a moment to send us through with an assist to Scotty.

Martial 7 goals 5 assists

Rashford 16 goals 10 assists
This is what people need to understand. Rashford plays on the wing. Martial plays in his 2 favoured positions. 9 and left wing.

Rashford is having to make way for someone who is totally out of sorts, can't pass, can't create, can't shoot.

Even if Rashford is having an off game, he does something, he has a moment. I cannot expect Martial to have the same impact if I am honest.

I am actually sick and tired of hearing hold up play, any basic no 9 should be able to do that. Barnes and Wood do it for Burnley.

snk123

This is what people need to understand. Rashford plays on the wing. Martial plays in his 2 favoured positions. 9 and left wing.

Rashford is having to make way for someone who is totally out of sorts, can't pass, can't create, can't shoot.

Even if Rashford is having an off game, he does something, he has a moment. I cannot expect Martial to have the same impact if I am honest.

I am actually sick and tired of hearing hold up play, any basic no 9 should be able to do that. Barnes and Wood do it for Burnley.
Rashford himself is poor af. Martial can not do anything if Rashford while playing on the wing doesn't pass to the #9. Continuously runs into traffic to the point that when he actually passes the ball, no one is expecting it.
Like I said, Thankfully Ole isn't as stupid as you lot. That was a very good performance from Martial and he kept the ball in a disjointed attacking unit (read: selfish).

Can't wait to have Amad show Rashford and Greenwood what "passing" the ball does in football.

romufc

Rashford himself is poor af. Martial can not do anything if Rashford while playing on the wing doesn't pass to the #9. Continuously runs into traffic to the point that when he actually passes the ball, no one is expecting it.
Like I said, Thankfully Ole isn't as stupid as you lot. That was a very good performance from Martial and he kept the ball in a disjointed attacking unit (read: selfish).

Can't wait to have Amad show Rashford and Greenwood what "passing" the ball does in football.

Yeah, you are right, its Rashford who cannot pass and has more assists than Martial.

Ole isnt as stupid as us? I am not sure if you have been watching recent games? he picks Rashford over Martial in the league. If we had a cup final tomorrow, Martial would be on the bench at best. Thats how rubbish he has been for the last 7 months.

Ole and the players have felt bad for Martial, Bruno gifted him a penalty earlier in the season so he gets his first goal of the season and got 2 goals against 9 man Southampton.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
My preference would be to play him off the wing. Thats where we saw him attack the right back and cause more problems. Rashford with his direct "let's beat 5 men" approach breaks down plays so often, whereas Martial is smarter when taking people on.

It would be good to see Ole try this more often with Cavani in the middle and Greenwood out wide.

OldTrevil

Well atleast Ole isnt as stupid as some of the posters here
Agreed. I sense some on here would set up a Mourinho-type system, play Cavani as a target man and constantly hoof the ball to him and Rashford while Martial sits on the bench :lol:

You must have missed the constant runs he was making in behind, only for our midfielders and Rashford to constantly ignore him.
Definitely, I remember at least 5 good runs he made in behind that got ignored, and countless times he offered himself deep only for the player with the ball to take ages with it until the space closed.

Generally it's pathetic how often our defenders and midfielders fail to find him during build up, especially considering he takes very good care of the ball and more often than not finds a teammate in a better position.

Last night the game didn't properly come alive until extra time, but even before then he was by far our best attacker. Mason was our next best attacker and did more good things than bad, should have finished his open chance in the box. Rashford was appalling and ended most attacks with terrible decisions. Martial was the only one constantly trying good things, advancing the ball well to his teammates, recycling when necessary and trying to speed things up whenever he could. He had a couple of blocked shots that gave defenders something to think about, and played a perfect layoff in the box for Greenwood to finish on his left, with the latter opting for a finish through traffic when the bottom right corner was open for his usual precision shot. I don't think Martial gave even a single ball away in the first half, and he's far from your cowardly sideways and backpasser that hides during tricky situations.

Sylar

He was ... ok?

Nothing great, weve seen better games from him where he hasnt scored or assisted but been involved. And weve seen much much worse (damn).

roonster09

Scout
Agreed. I sense some on here would set up a Mourinho-type system, play Cavani as a target man and constantly hoof the ball to him and Rashford while Martial sits on the bench :lol:
:lol: fecking hell it's Cavani, not lukaku or Ashley Barnes.

OldTrevil

Regardless, playing any of them as a target man or central focal point especially in a system that's dying for creativity and link-up, while having Martial on the bench, is bonkers

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Was positively suprised by his performance last night. He had a lot of fight in him, giving it all for headers both in the west ham box as well as for clearances in our own box. He tried to get involved, made some brilliant runs and had some class touches. Much better than the lazy performances that got him benched.

I don't know why people think he was terrible. Maybe they're unable to judge based on one game? He was arguably our best attacking player until the cavalry arrived.

Hopefully he'll be forced to compete with Rashford and Cavani for a spot. I think he's the type of player that needs competition to thrive.

eire-red

I thought Martial was good last night. He's still not at the races in terms of being clinical enough, but the effort, work rate, runs in behind and his all round game was there last night.

If he had been putting performances like that in all season, he would have played himself out of his rut by now I think. Hopefully he can play his way into some form for the backend of the season.

roonster09

Scout
Regardless, playing any of them as a target man or central focal point especially in a system that's dying for creativity and link-up, while having Martial on the bench, is bonkers
No one plays as Target man. Cavani is all about movement, one touch play.

Maybe in your Martial world it's bonkers. Right now Cavani is playing better than Martial and that's why he is playing as CF.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I would much prefer to have Greenwood upfront over Martial at the moment. Thought Greenwood was ok last night but I still don't like him out on the right. The boy is a deadly finisher; get him upfront when Cavani isn't playing.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united

All it takes is for Rashford to beak through one time and the balls in the net. He at least looks threatening and presses far better without the ball.

The mind boggles as to how you can watch that performance from Martial last night and call it very good.

As for your comment about passing - are we just gonna ignore the piss poor attempt at feeding Rashford through who would have been 1v1 at the end of the game?

OldTrevil

No one plays as Target man. Cavani is all about movement, one touch play.

Maybe in your Martial world it's bonkers. Right now Cavani is playing better than Martial and that's why he is playing as CF.
It seems you're the one in a bonkers world, putting words in my mouth and responding to your own imagined statements

Raven

I would much prefer to have Greenwood upfront over Martial at the moment. Thought Greenwood was ok last night but I still don't like him out on the right. The boy is a deadly finisher; get him upfront when Cavani isn't playing.
What is this obsession with putting Greenwood up top? He's been shite whenever he's played there because he's not ready, Martial even in current form is 2 or 3 times the CF Greenwood is and on top of that, Greenwood is developing nicely out on the right... why feck that up?

troylocker

He just ain't a very good #9. Sorry Tony, but you should be a rotation option LW, nothing more.

roonster09

Scout
It seems you're the one in a bonkers world, putting words in my mouth and responding to your own imagined statements
What? You are the one who moaned about Cavani, saying he is target man. I said he isn't one.

And a blatant lie saying Cavani is target man and we hoof the ball to him

roonster09

Scout
What is this obsession with putting Greenwood up top? He's been shite whenever he's played there because he's not ready, Martial even in current form is 2 or 3 times the CF Greenwood is and on top of that, Greenwood is developing nicely out on the right... why feck that up?
Yeah, Greenwood should be our RW. He isn't ready to play as CF and also I don't see why he should even play as CF when he can play to his strengths as a RWF.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
What? You are the one who moaned about Cavani, saying he is target man. I said he isn't one.

You misunderstood. Cavani and his target man playstyle should feck off to Stoke or Sunderland so Martial can be unimpeded by "competition" or "hard work". Don't you see he's talented? :lol:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I said when Cavani isn't playing. Cavani should be our main striker, but I would prefer Greenwood over Martial upfront at the moment when Cavani isn't playing, as I don't think Martial is offering much currently. I know he got the two goals against saints, but that was a very odd game. I also don't think Greenwood has been "shite" when playing up top. I think he's only played about 5/6 games up there. Got a goal, two assists. Not bad.

I think he has been alright on the wing to be fair, but long term he's obviously going to be a striker. Again, I'm not saying make him our first choice striker, but I would take him over Martial at the moment, that's all.

OldTrevil

Can you point to where I said Cavani is target man, or that Ole plays him as one and we hoof the ball to him?

roonster09

Scout
So if you didn't say 'Cavani is a target man' then what's the point of your 2 posts? Especially the third one which says "playing any of them as a target man".

roonster09

Scout
You misunderstood. Cavani and his target man playstyle should feck off to Stoke or Sunderland so Martial can be unimpeded by "competition" or "hard work". Don't you see he's talented? :lol:
Tbf to Martial, he always responded well to the challenge and won his position. Hopefully he will do it again.

OldTrevil

So if you didn't say 'Cavani is a target man' then what's the point of your 2 posts? Especially the third one which says "playing any of them as a target man".
My second post was emphasizing on the first, and in neither of them do I say Cavani is a target man. In fact I'm laughing at those who would play him as one...

Raven

I said when Cavani isn't playing. Cavani should be our main striker, but I would prefer Greenwood over Martial upfront at the moment when Cavani isn't playing, as I don't think Martial is offering much currently. I know he got the two goals against saints, but that was a very odd game. I also don't think Greenwood has been "shite" when playing up top. I think he's only played about 5/6 games up there. Got a goal, two assists. Not bad.

I think he has been alright on the wing to be fair, but long term he's obviously going to be a striker. Again, I'm not saying make him our first choice striker, but I would take him over Martial at the moment, that's all.
But he's miles worse than Martial as a striker, even this season. Greenwood is just hitting form again, playing from the right, there's no need to put him up top where he'll be bullied by centre backs. In a couple of years when he's physically developed, I can see him taking the CF spot, but right now, there is no point.

Threesus

For me, he has to chip in with goals and assists. Our wide forwards in Mason and Marcus are not on the level of salah or mane. He can’t keep doing his best firmino impression.
Can anyone work out why he has been so far off the pace this season? The last time he was this bad, he had off-field issues. Are there any rumors of his issues away from the pitch?

Frank White

I thought he played very well. Had some dangerous moments, created a few really good chances for himself but as has often been the case this season he's hesitated in front of goal and the defender has got in. There was a couple of unfortunate blocks in there which could have gone either way. What's encouraging is his form is much better than early in the season. I think personally we have to drop Rashford for a few games as he's been absolutely shocking the last few games.
Either your expectations for Martial are incredibly low or you're a proud member of the MDL because in no way shape or form can't that performance be labelled as him playing "very well" :lol:

As for the rest why would you bench someone who is actually contributing with either goals or assist for someone who's playing equally as poor but not contributing towards the goal tally?

No idea what you do with him. We've tried to play him through the rough patch and that's just made fans turn on him.

He did look decent, albeit against a 10 men Soton coming off the bench but don't know if he'll except that role. Thought them goals would be the confidence boost he needed but alas.

Hope he can turn it around for the 2nd half of the season we'll need him if we go deep into the Europa and want to maintain are league position.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Either your expectations for Martial are incredibly low or you're a proud member of the MDL because in no way shape or form can't that performance be labelled as him playing "very well" :lol:

As for the rest why would you bench someone who is actually contributing with either goals or assist for someone who's playing equally as poor but not contributing towards the goal tally?

No idea what you do with him. We've tried to play him through the rough patch and that's just made fans turn on him.

He did look decent, albeit against a 10 men Soton coming off the bench but don't know if he'll except that role. Thought them goals would be the confidence boost he needed but alas.

Hope he can turn it around for the 2nd half of the season we'll need him if we go deep into the Europa and want to maintain are league position.
Okay 'very well' is perhaps an exaggeration for his overall performance but there were certainly some elements that were positive to see return. He carried a threat, held the ball up very well and created a few chances for himself which admittedly he could have done more with on another occasion, there was also a couple of occasions I watched him work back in and defend well.

As for your second point; because there's far more to football than just getting the final goal/assist and while Rashford has done well to continue chipping in, his overall performances are a massive hindrance on the team. Put simply, he's much more detrimental to a side on poor form compared to Martial because Martial at least executes the basics well and despite the narrative, I think he works back in better than Rashford who loves walking around.

I still think its much more likely than not that Martial rediscovers good form. The issue is that his form for the first 10 games of the season was so poor that he's being criticized more based on the 10 that followed etc. The reality to my eye is that Martials form has improved dramatically already from the shockers he was putting in early in the season, but he's still some way off his best form. Meanwhile, Rashford has declined back to his frustratingly low bottom level. I'd like to see Ole give Rashford the same treatment as early-season Martial and swap them for a game.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
But he's miles worse than Martial as a striker, even this season. Greenwood is just hitting form again, playing from the right, there's no need to put him up top where he'll be bullied by centre backs. In a couple of years when he's physically developed, I can see him taking the CF spot, but right now, there is no point.
I disagree with that, on current form. Personally I think Martial has been very poor lately and would try something different when Cavani isn't playing. Again, this isn't me saying Greenwood should now be our number one striker going forward. But personally I don't think Martial has been offering much of anything lately in that area. Hence why Cavani has overtaken him as our main striker. At least for the time being.

Martial was obviously great last season as a striker so I'm not saying he can't' do it. I'm just going on current form, that's all.

Raven

I disagree with that, on current form. Personally I think Martial has been very poor lately and would try something different when Cavani isn't playing. Again, this isn't me saying Greenwood should now be our number one striker going forward. But personally I don't think Martial has been offering much of anything lately in that area. Hence why Cavani has overtaken him as our main striker. At least for the time being.

Martial was obviously great last season as a striker so I'm not saying he can't' do it. I'm just going on current form, that's all.
I understand that youre going on current form, no issue there, as am I. Every time Greenwood has played up top, he's been manhandled by CBs. Once he's grown into his body I can see him being an excellent CF but he's not ready for it yet

Foxbatt

Cavani has always been a much better CF than most strikers. So he obviously is going to be much better than Martial. Martial is always at his best when he drops deep and then run at defenders. It's best for the player and club to part ways.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Nah Rashford was miles worse and should have been off before either.
I think that’s probably correct. Rashford has been much better than him this season though and he might still have created something out of nothing. Martial is way off but Rashford is so selfish relative to his level of output. He really needs to look up and stop trying to do it all alone because we aren’t going to win anything with just his goals and that’s all he’s providing on the days he does play well. It’s looking like the covid form was an anomaly. They aren’t finding each other at all or even really trying to. They started to taper off majorly by the end of last season and it’s carried over and went on for far longer than anyone imagined it would or could. Thank feck Cavani was available!

Last edited:

Raven

I think that’s probably correct. Rashford has been much better than him this season though and he might still have created something out of nothing. Martial is way off but Rashford is so selfish relative to his level of output. He really needs to look up and stop trying to do it all alone because we aren’t going to win anything with just his goals.
Yeah, his selfishness is infuriating. There were at least 2 occasions when he was belting up the pitch at 900 miles an hour, Martial was after taking up a position between FB and CB and Rashford, instead of passing it and darting inside/outside, he decided to sprint right at Martial and lose possession as he was surrounded by 3 or 4 players (his markers + Martial's markers). Literally had no idea what he was thinking.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yeah, his selfishness is infuriating. There were at least 2 occasions when he was belting up the pitch at 900 miles an hour, Martial was after taking up a position between FB and CB and Rashford, instead of passing it and darting inside/outside, he decided to sprint right at Martial and lose possession as he was surrounded by 3 or 4 players (his markers + Martial's markers). Literally had no idea what he was thinking.
that kind of stuff is hopefully getting ironed out of his game behind the scenes before it all finally comes together and he reaches the very top level but im not really seeing much progression in his all round game. It looks like he’s being told to be more selfish and to stay forward. I’m being honest if we keep attacking like this we aren’t going to win the EL even if we go all out. That’s a very poor ROI considering we will be fielding the most expensive and well paid team in the competition, by far. Our lads need to stop waiting for Bruno to do it and start using each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.