Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

arthurka

I'm fully aware of where he played in the youth set up, which was mainly as a striker but also as a 10 and a right winger. The point I was making is that he's not capable of playing as a striker at the moment, maybe I should have made that more clear. He's too weak and doesn't do much with the ball (although Martial hasn't been much better at this aspect most of the season).
I meant of course that Martial and Cavani are injured and not likely to play there so this might be the chance to play Greenwood up top.
But if Rashford is fit again he will play there with Greenwood and James out wide.

sugar_kane

He’s had an absolute dog of a season so far, not sure how much longer we can wait for him to produce the goods again.

I was surprised to see the extent to which people raved about his performance against City, it was decent at best - the sort of performance you’d expect a United number 9 to be delivering more often than not as a minimum.

RUCK4444

He’s had an absolute dog of a season so far, not sure how much longer we can wait for him to produce the goods again.

I was surprised to see the extent to which people raved about his performance against City, it was decent at best - the sort of performance you’d expect a United number 9 to be delivering more often than not as a minimum.
Yeah I said his performance was much better against City but thinking on it that's the bare minimum you expect from a United no. 9

His season as a whole has been pretty much as bad as it gets. I can't remember a United player having such a consistently poor season game after game.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Pretty certain he isn't on 250k
Pretty certain he's pretty near it. He's still our 3rd highest earner at the club and in the top 10 in the PL. He earns more than Kane and Salah and dwarfs the wages paid to players like Son and Vardy. No one is going to pay his wages outside of the club unless we get lucky with PSG.

Raven

I meant of course that Martial and Cavani are injured and not likely to play there so this might be the chance to play Greenwood up top.
But if Rashford is fit again he will play there with Greenwood and James out wide.
I think Rashford is actually a worse 9 than Greenwood, he's actually bad at it, at least with Greenwood you can see it's something he'll be good at it in future.

The reason I replied is because you said who gives a shit, he's shite anyway. I think most United fans should give a shit because not only has he been gaining a little bit of form lately but he's also our only real option as a striker.

Marwood

He does seem to get injured a hell of a lot.
Without having stats I always feel the same. I could understand if he was playing every game, running his socks off, putting his body on the line. In reality he plays like he's trying to avoid injury, he does everything economically. So it's even more frustrating.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Without having stats I always feel the same. I could understand if he was playing every game, running his socks off, putting his body on the line. In reality he plays like he's trying to avoid injury, he does everything economically. So it's even more frustrating.
He’s such an odd player. Against City he was winning all his physical battles. Looked like a beast. But in almost every other game this season he’s been hitting the deck at the first hint of contact. Coming across as a total lightweight. The fact he seems to get hurt so often really just adds to that impression.

arthurka

I think Rashford is actually a worse 9 than Greenwood, he's actually bad at it, at least with Greenwood you can see it's something he'll be good at it in future.

The reason I replied is because you said who gives a shit, he's shite anyway. I think most United fans should give a shit because not only has he been gaining a little bit of form lately but he's also our only real option as a striker.
Agree of course I give a shit but it had more to do with the fact we have played Martial there for 35 games this season and he has produced jack all. Greenwood would have produced similar numbers of jack all if he had played there and started game after game despite performances being abysmal. But yes I fully agree with your view on this.

acnumber9

He’s such an odd player. Against City he was winning all his physical battles. Looked like a beast. But in almost every other game this season he’s been hitting the deck at the first hint of contact. Coming across as a total lightweight. The fact he seems to get hurt so often really just adds to that impression.
He’s just a player that doesn’t fancy it. I’ve not seen a player get injured on the day of a game as often since Saha.

Born2Lose

Pretty certain he isn't on 250k
It's what was touted at the time and there are countless sources backing it up, what is your source for saying he isn't? He was going to walk on a free and leveraged that into getting a big wage increase.

https://manchesterunitedlatestnews.com/manchester-united-players-wages/

https://www.givemesport.com/1578173...ir-wages-from-very-underpaid-to-very-overpaid

Thought at the time we should have let him walk, we could have been spending his wages in a much better way at this point.

Raven

It's what was touted at the time and there are countless sources backing it up, what is your source for saying he isn't? He was going to walk on a free and leveraged that into getting a big wage increase.

https://www.givemesport.com/1578173...ir-wages-from-very-underpaid-to-very-overpaid

Thought at the time we should have let him walk, we could have been spending his wages in a much better way at this point.
I think he earns 250k a week like Amad Diallo cost us 37M.

Djemba-Djemba

Completely agree.

I really struggle to remember the last time such an established Utd player had as poor a season as Martial has had so far.

Maybe Rooney in his last season?

He'sRaldo

Completely agree.

I really struggle to remember the last time such an established Utd player had as poor a season as Martial has had so far.

Lingard for one and a half seasons. De Gea for about a year .

Greenwood is having it pretty bad this season as well.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen

I trust SPOTRAC

6yr/78m which cascades out to $250,000 per week. I think it is pretty safe to ignore the usual suspects in here trying to dispute his wage with no basis in reasoning in favour of SPOTRAC's reporting.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Martial fans are like a cult. Half of them give him a 6 out of 10 just for putting his boots on the right feet.

He held the ball up very well Vs City. That's it. He didn't press particularly well. He didn't chase back the few times he was disposed of the ball but instead threw his arms up in the air at the ref despite none of them being fouls. He also had two chances. One difficult one with his head that dropped from an awkward height. Not an easy chance but still made a meal of it. The other one was a sitter Infront of the goal. His attempt was akin to a pass back.

This is now deemed a man of the match performance by an army of our fans. Absolute joke how delusional this fan base is. Shaw was head and shoulders better than him.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Anyone else think his better performances recently have been because Cavani's out? To me it seems like he can't deal with the pressure of competition. Some players are like that, there's nothing wrong with it per se, but when you're as inconsistent as Martial it's not acceptable.

I don't think he was that poor vs Milan, we barely got out of our own half.

He looks so much better when he does a Rooney and drops down a bit to join play. I don't know why he's always insisting on wanting the ball to his feet with 2 CB's breathing down his neck.

Martial fans are like a cult. Half of them give him a 6 out of 10 just for putting his boots on the right feet.

He held the ball up very well Vs City. That's it. He didn't press particularly well. He didn't chase back the few times he was disposed of the ball but instead threw his arms up in the air at the ref despite none of them being fouls. He also had two chances. One difficult one with his head that dropped from an awkward height. Not an easy chance but still made a meal of it. The other one was a sitter Infront of the goal. His attempt was akin to a pass back.

This is now deemed a man of the match performance by an army of our fans. Absolute joke how delusional this fan base is. Shaw was head and shoulders better than him.
We're just hoping it's the start of him regaining form. There's very few people who thought he's been MotM :lol:

Realistically, do we have other options? Cavani isn't the answer with his injuries and talk about wanting to leave, I'm not sold on Greenwood on top and with this market we won't spend big in the summer.

Raven

Why don't you try keeping your knickers on? It wasn't just people on here that gave him MOTM, the performance was highly rated across the board. Shaw was my MOTM by the way, I'm just not gonna cry if people disagree.

Marwood

Lingard for one and a half seasons. De Gea for about a year .

Greenwood is having it pretty bad this season as well.
True but you could argue mitigating factors with them. Lingard never really good enough, Greenwood just starting out, De Gea past his best.

For Martial, a player with clearly enough talent, settled at the club and right in his prime, this is a shocker of a season. Truly terrible.

I've always been a fan but he's really let Ole down this year.

I'd love to get from him what he thinks is the problem, why his career isn't sparking the way it should.

Is it attitude, is he not fit enough, does he lack confidence. Or is this just how he thinks football should be played, this very sort of cool, understated, minimal effort sort of approach.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Why don't you try keeping your knickers on? It wasn't just people on here that gave him MOTM, the performance was highly rated across the board. Shaw was my MOTM by the way, I'm just not gonna cry if people disagree.
How can any forward be man of the match when he fluffs the only two chances he got?

Same fans would have crucified Rashford for that 2nd miss in particular.

He held the ball up very well that game and gave us a out ball for counters. Wasn't overly impressed with anything else in his game.

Raven

How can any forward be man of the match when he fluffs the only two chances he got?

Same fans would have crucified Rashford for that 2nd miss in particular.

He held the ball up very well that game and gave us a out ball for counters. Wasn't overly impressed with anything else in his game.
Because he was essential to our victory? It wasn't a perfect performance and he definitely should have put away the 1 on 1 but it was still our best CF performance this season.

He'sRaldo

Greenwood is a young lad in his 2nd ever professional season though to be fair.

This is Martials 6th season here I believe?
True but you could argue mitigating factors with them. Lingard never really good enough, Greenwood just starting out, De Gea past his best.

For Martial, a player with clearly enough talent, settled at the club and right in his prime, this is a shocker of a season. Truly terrible.

I've always been a fan but he's really let Ole down this year.

I'd love to get from him what he thinks is the problem, why his career isn't sparking the way it should.

Is it attitude, is he not fit enough, does he lack confidence. Or is this just how he thinks football should be played, this very sort of cool, understated, minimal effort sort of approach.
The thing is, we as a club in recent years have seen quite a few attacking players show shocking form and be shipped out in disgrace, only to perform better elsewhere. For instance Memphis, Lukaku, Di Maria, Mkhitaryan, even Lingard right now.

My point being I find it hard to put the blame purely on our attackers for their struggles, especially someone like Martial who as you both say is in his prime years. If he were to be shipped out like the others, I wouldn't be surprised to see him do much better at another club.

That's not to say his form hasn't been god-awful, it's just something to think about. Especially if we are acknowledging that it's the whole attack that's not clicking, and not just Martial.

He'sRaldo

Yup, having a drove of fans who seem to irrationally worship a certain person at the club is really quite annoying, isn't it.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
You figure he's now had three different types of manager, and aside from a pretty short spell, none have been able to really get him going.

Not sure what he needs, but it's pretty clear that something needs to change.

Biggest thing for me is if he just tried to hit the ball more often. I'll never understand why strikers faff about when all the best ones are more or less reknowned for just taking a chance.

Watching a bit of Dortmund lately and Haaland looks like he's playing a different sport from Martial. Any chance, he's swinging a foot and hitting it reasonably pure. More than half the time it's blocked or deflected. But it creates danger.

Martial is of this strange new breed of forward that seems to think the sport is about who completes the most dribbles in the box. I'll never understand it. Especially with Ole as the manager of all people!

redshaw

Speaking of fans, perhaps some of it is down to lack of fans in the stadiums. He seems like the type of character to respond and build confidence from fans in the stadium. Must be the worst I've seen him.

If he has a good 8-10 games to finish the season that's not good enough but we might have to use him next season as I just don't see any big spending, maybe just a CB under 50m

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Completely agree.

Lukaku in his second season. He did have a short patch under Ole where he was ok for about a month, but otherwise he was absolutely terrible that season.

OmarUnited4ever

Regardless whether he is earning 250k a week or not, at least we know that he is top earner in the club, compared to someone like James, he is considered a starting player, he is also senior figure in the team since he's been playing for the 1st team since he got here in 2014/2015 (as of now only De Gea and Shaw from the strating 11 arrived before him) he is wearing the number 9, the expectations are he is supposed to be delivering now as the finished article, the club paid huge fees to bring him as teenager and gambled on him and gave him amble time to grow and improve and obstacles in his way (Ibrahìmovich & Lukaku) are no longer in the club (Cavani was brought in only as backup option)

His time is running out on him and at this moment it's now or never, not much time left to salvage whatever remained from this season.

hungrywing

Food for stat rat thoughts.

level 1
BBQ_HaX0r

Posted this yesterday but felt it deserved another look. It's amazing the perception of Martial this year when he's largely the same player he was last year minus one important area. Look at these stats:
Martial 19-20: g90 - 0.57, xG90 - 0.45, Sh90 - 2.69, A90 - 0.20, xA90 - 0.16, KP90 - 1.01, xgChain90 - 0.69, & xGBuildup90 - 0.21
Martial 20-21: g90 - 0.24, xG90 - 0.45, Sh90 - 2.53, A90 - 0.18, xA90 - 0.16, KP90 - 1.02, xgChain90 - 0.71, & xGBuildup90 - 0.20
19-21 Average: g90 - 0.45, xG90 - 0.45, Sh90 - 2.64, A90 - 0.19, xA90 0.16, KP90 - 1.02, xgChain90 - 0.70, & xGBuildup90 - 0.21 (4166 minutes)
In addition the "fantasy stats" - 4g3a on 1494 minutes over 22 apps for 20/21. Underachieving xG by 3.41.
17g6a on 2672 minutes over 32 apps. Overachieved xG by 3.76 in 19-20.
Like he's basically the same player except last year he was overperforming his goals and this year he ain't. So if you were happy with him last year you ought to be happy with him this year and just assume he's been "unlucky" or out of form or whatever. The demise of Martial is widely overblown... or maybe the ascent of him was last year? I don't know. But look at those numbers. They're nearly identical other than goals (which you could argue is luck or bad form or confidence).
via here.

CG1010

via here.
Last year everyone agreed that he needs to do more besides scoring to take his game to the next level. And this season he has basically lost his goals too. So no wonder everyone thinks he is dogshite.

Eugenius

Last year everyone agreed that he needs to do more besides scoring to take his game to the next level. And this season he has basically lost his goals too. So no wonder everyone thinks he is dogshite.
Probably the opposite way around.

Last season he was clear as day our best player with back to goal, won a ton of penalties with his runs, and carried most of our creative threat as a false 9 before Bruno came (as a reminder our midfield was Fred, McT and Pereira). He was our player of season, so he clearly can't be shite. The legitimate issue last season was whether he scored enough (23 goals is obviously not Kane levels).

He's been indefensibly awful this season but at least criticise him for the correct issues.

Caesar2290

Absolutely this! The fact that our fans think that our CF who hasn't scored a goal deserves MOTM shows this. Blows my mind that our fans are going to look under the microscope for any mistake Lindelof, Maguire, AWB or even Fred, but yet Martial can get away with murder and everything is fine and dandy.

The thing that gets me with Martial is that his attitude also gets a free pass. Being a United player is more than just ability, you have to have the right mindset. Just look at Bruno for example. Even when he's having a barren spell the man still runs his socks off and finds ways to contribute. Ditto for Cavani, at least he harries the oppo and gets into threatening positions.

In reality Mbappe is the player his fans hoped he would turn out to be. I mean we even had a Ballon D'or in his clause when we bought him. Sadly the man is going to be remembered as a what could have been and he needs to be binned along with other players who aren't pulling their weight on astronomical wages(looking at De Gea and Pogba)

snk123

Absolutely this! The fact that our fans think that our CF who hasn't scored a goal deserves MOTM shows this. Blows my mind that our fans are going to look under the microscope for any mistake Lindelof, Maguire, AWB or even Fred, but yet Martial can get away with murder and everything is fine and dandy.

The thing that gets me with Martial is that his attitude also gets a free pass.
OH FFS! Martial has been racially abused, has had his house attacked, been ridiculed online literally everywhere. He is always rated the worst player on the caf even when he plays 10-15 minutes, or even when literally the whole team performs worse than him. His every move is under the microscope by people like you who don't understand football.

Exactly, what is the free pass that Martial gets? Where is it?

snk123

The fact that our fans think that our CF who hasn't scored a goal deserves MOTM shows this.
:lol: He was given MOTM vs City by the commentators/pundits. And just to jog your memory of a gold fish, he won us the penalty in that game.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
This season he's had 27 appearances as a CF with 7 goals and 8 assists.
He's had 8 appearances as a LW with 0 goal contributions this season.

Now I remember him being quite prolific on the wing in seasons past, but I think it's time we and Ole start viewing him as an out and out striker. Players' playstyle can change, it's certainly been the case for Martial.

My biggest problem with Martial is his ability to perform when he feels threatened by competition. It's just not an attitude that works at a club the size of Utd. SAF would have 3, sometimes 4 strikers at any given time.

If he can get over that mental block and we don't play him out of position, we should keep him. He's still only 25, his prime is yet to come.

:lol: He was given MOTM vs City by the commentators/pundits. And just to jog your memory of a gold fish, he won us the penalty in that game.
Also we had 34% possession. Without Martial's great hold up play that game, that stat would have been way worse.

Classical Mechanic

via here.
I think the interpretation of those stats is wrong. Martial scores a lot of lower probability goals when on form. Lower probability goals are as the description suggests and are unsustainable for most players because of that. The issue with Martial is that he hasn't developed his game at all, those stats are a striking testament too that. He needs to develop his game and start getting into positions to score easier goals. We'll always see wild fluctutions in his effectiveness if a significant portion of his goals are shots curled into the top corner from the edge of the box.

You can draw a similar comparison to Son at Spurs who also goes on long barren runs.

CG1010

Probably the opposite way around.

Last season he was clear as day our best player with back to goal, won a ton of penalties with his runs, and carried most of our creative threat as a false 9 before Bruno came (as a reminder our midfield was Fred, McT and Pereira). He was our player of season, so he clearly can't be shite. The legitimate issue last season was whether he scored enough (23 goals is obviously not Kane levels).

He's been indefensibly awful this season but at least criticise him for the correct issues.
I don't see it that way. His goals output was fine last season especially as he had some periods of injury. Please go back and check, the entire talk was to find goal scorers apart from the top 3, literally nobody said he hasn't scored enough.

On the other hand, you are way exaggerating his influence on our play. While I give you the point about winning penalties (they get counted under assists anyways), he didn't do many other things such as pressing, movement, etc., which a CF is supposed to do. You can go back and check how much debate there was about his lack of movement etc., at that time. And finally, if he was the best creative player when Bruno and Rashford were both absent (Rashford out with injury), it doesn't say much to be better than the likes of Pereira and Lingard (atleast our version).

Raven

I don't see it that way. His goals output was fine last season especially as he had some periods of injury. Please go back and check, the entire talk was to find goal scorers apart from the top 3, literally nobody said he hasn't scored enough.

On the other hand, you are way exaggerating his influence on our play. While I give you the point about winning penalties (they get counted under assists anyways), he didn't do many other things such as pressing, movement, etc., which a CF is supposed to do. You can go back and check how much debate there was about his lack of movement etc., at that time. And finally, if he was the best creative player when Bruno and Rashford were both absent (Rashford out with injury), it doesn't say much to be better than the likes of Pereira and Lingard (atleast our version).
Nahh, he was our best player last season, mainly because of his excellent all around game. 23 goals and 12 assists last season, plus all of the excellent work he was putting in outside of goal contributions, that's why this season has been so hard to watch him in this sort of form.

Hughes35

He's not good enough and never will be. Really hope we move him on for a decent fee.

One good performance against City doesn't change that.

RUCK4444

He’s not the type of player you trust to spearhead a title campaign.

I’m sick of slating him, vast majority of fans can see the inconsistency and lack of desire.

Two of the very worst traits for any one player to have. You simply don’t win a league carrying players like that, no matter how talented they are.

antk

Can't insert twitter link as a newbie but he has been picked by Deschamps for the next international fixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.