Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacks

Too many fans here just remember who scored and who assisted, and you wonder why English football never amounts to much. If you think Martial did not play well, might be due to your nation's 'football tradition'. Some of us global fans enjoy players with actual ability on the ball, we do not like the headless-chicken-type football played for media and fan applause.
So why did Drogba get MotM so much even though he didn't score that many in the league for Chelsea? Hell even Heskey was rated. Kane gets praised when he doesn't score as did Rooney. This is an arrogant and misguided, silly, short sighted post lad!

Jonno

He's in poor form.

I've never quite been convinced he's a number 9 and I've never quite been convinced he really wants to win at all costs.

If he doesn't get it in to feet, he doesn't look all that interested.

Highfather_24

Cavani played the #9 role better than Martial has this season, although people are quick to forget how good Martial was last season as our CF.

Martial played better from the left than Rashford, he was taking players on, and linking play, rather than stopping at the halfway line and trying to pick pass, and then eventually pass backwards.

amsoUG

Probably one of the worst posts I have read on this forum. You won't get promoted quickly with this stuff.
I have been here since 2012 and It's a sad digital-age we are in when people have to look for a sense of belonging and acceptance through such sheep-like conformity.
I don't subscribe to group-think and I would not reduce myself to populism on a footy forum.

Stacks

I'm not ready to give up on Martial. I just want people to realise its difficult to be consistently good/great number 9's like a Harry Kane, Aguero type players so when peeps were quick to write off Kane, it was rather shocking to be honest, almost like 6 years of consistency counted for nothing due to recency bias.

Martial is realising being United's number 9 is no walk in the park, as for France so they players like Henry, Kane, RVN, Rooney, Torres, Suarez and now Haaland, are truly exceptional, which is why they cost so much in today's market. Even Salah gets disrespected despite him delivering. Martial for sure has nice ability so I hope he can kick on.

I think deep down we hope he can be the new French maestro but he needs to get over these peaks and dips as they seem to be a constant in his career and then people will say "he's not bothered or doesn't fancy it" etc etc not realising he just has consistency issues

zurnalist

It's weird. He was one of our best if not THE best player for months last season.

Now he's almost always invisible, with a heavy touch and has problems getting even one shot on goal.

And this is not the first time that the inconsistencies with him are almost unexplainable.

He's clearly good enough the be our nr 9 when he delivers. At the moment he's unfortunately not delivering.

wolvored

Wasn't saying that Martial was at the level of Henry, but given their playing styles, I would expect Martial to be at least half as good. And even half an Henry would be amazing in our team. But I guess Henry was a one off.

Might be showing my ignorance here, but have there been other successful strikers that play like these two? ie like to drift out wide, take players on, poor in the air, better facing goal than back to goal
Probably you could look at Vardy maybe Aguero. There will probably be quite a few tht others might think of.

amsoUG

So why did Drogba get MotM so much even though he didn't score that many in the league for Chelsea? Hell even Heskey was rated. Kane gets praised when he doesn't score as did Rooney. This is an arrogant and misguided, silly, short sighted post lad!
You were the same fans who praised Lampard and Gerard and despised Carrick and Scholes. Whereas Carrick and Scholes were used as benchmarks to teach Spanish footballers how to play in the MF, the English fans and media preferred else, preferred the ones who could run more and shoot more. Spain went on to produce the best midfield in the world at the time, winning the World Cup and the Euro.

amsoUG

Nothing to do with nationality or culture. Martial continues to flatter to deceive, as he has done for years at Man United.

He's a limited player, with limited game intelligence, he over-plays, hoards possession, and STILL cannot decide where his best position is. He is not clinical in front of goal, he is inconsistent, doesn't score or guarantee loads of goals (ie Kane, Lewandoski, Aguero....), Doesn't lead the line or inspire the team, lacking personality and character..and these attributes are very, very important, especially in that role at that club. No one expects anything of Martial. I look to Rashford and Greenwood to inspire our team, our club, and make an impact on games.

The fact that we are STILL asking these questions about Martial, highlights and reflects the indecision which is currently defining our team, squad, playing style and ambition.

OGS answer to all this? Give him an improved contract ffs!

He will score a few goals soon, one or two will be great to watch. And then we will be back where we always are with Martial. Mourinho was right about him, and just brought in Ibra' in his late thirties, who had more impact in one season, than Martial had yet to achieve in years at OT.

Cash in and get rid , I have been saying this on here for years.
- Nationality & culture bias will make you look at Rashy and Mason to inspire our team.
- Football tradition and ideology will make Mourinho discard players like KDB, Salah, Delle. Get one of the best-attacking midfielders from our academy in Scott and play them as a CDM, get another promising attacking MF in Pereira and play them as a CDM, propose the selling of Martial to get Perisic and Dier, discard the best MF in Mata from Chelsea because he didn't fit his ideology of preferring to play without the ball. Whereas I respect his ideology as a manager and willingness to win at all costs, I find him too mechanical.

wolvored

I'm not ready to give up on Martial. I just want people to realise its difficult to be consistently good/great number 9's like a Harry Kane, Aguero type players so when peeps were quick to write off Kane, it was rather shocking to be honest, almost like 6 years of consistency counted for nothing due to recency bias.

Martial is realising being United's number 9 is no walk in the park, as for France so they players like Henry, Kane, RVN, Rooney, Torres, Suarez and now Haaland, are truly exceptional, which is why they cost so much in today's market. Even Salah gets disrespected despite him delivering. Martial for sure has nice ability so I hope he can kick on.

I think deep down we hope he can be the new French maestro but he needs to get over these peaks and dips as they seem to be a constant in his career and then people will say "he's not bothered or doesn't fancy it" etc etc not realising he just has consistency issues
We havent the strength in depth to carry a player who is approaching his peak years and still woefully inconsistant. I think consistantly being picked if fit does him no good either. He can let standard slip and know hes still going to start. Now if he dropped to the bench for 3-4 games it might make him wake up to the fact he needs to try much harder. I would go Greenwood Cavani Rashford for the next 3-4 games, see if that works. Martial can always come on as sub if not.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Thought he did more for 30 minutes on the LW then he has up front all season.

Maybe he is a Left Winger... but is he a better left winger then Rashford? I don't think so.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
When I see Martial get into abit of a mood, I dont see it as someone who's disappointed with his team-mates. I see it as someone who's disappointed in themselves.
Martial knows he can and should be doing better with some facets of his game.

Anyway, I felt he was promising in the 1st half but, like the majority of the team, his performance level dropped in the 2nd half.
Unfortunately Martial is now ,or should be considered, one of the more mature figures in the squad. He cant give up so willingly at times. He has to show more maturity.

cyberman

Looks as if Ole is preparing for PSG after last nights lineup. Martial and Rashford each side to stretch the play behind their lazy forwards should work a treat.

kirk buttercup

Thought he did more for 30 minutes on the LW then he has up front all season.

Maybe he is a Left Winger... but is he a better left winger then Rashford? I don't think so.
The two of them Should be rotated there and competing for the starting spot . Greenwood on the right Rotated with our New kids when they are Ready, Sancho would have been perfect but that ship has probably sailed . And we need to go all out and Get a proper CF . I think Cavani makes us looks so more balanced up front

SirMarcusRashford

The guy is just a waste of time. I would go as far to say he is the biggest regular 'starting' deadwood at the club and United can never challenge whilst he is starting as CF. Some people want Pogba gone, but this guy should be the first out of the door, Newcastle is his level and i think I'm being generous saying that, no elite club in Europe would have Martial starting as a lone CF every week, so why do Manchester United?

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He played well and created good opportunities with his link-up play. It‘s become a standard for people to criticize him.

Stacks

We havent the strength in depth to carry a player who is approaching his peak years and still woefully inconsistant. I think consistantly being picked if fit does him no good either. He can let standard slip and know hes still going to start. Now if he dropped to the bench for 3-4 games it might make him wake up to the fact he needs to try much harder. I would go Greenwood Cavani Rashford for the next 3-4 games, see if that works. Martial can always come on as sub if not.
I hear what you are saying and I think Cavani was supposed to be the competition. All the ex pros were saying we need a Kane or a Haaland etc to win a title and I guess we are romantics here at United as many of us are keen to see Greenwood, Rashford and Martial to grow as our forward line, and not have anyone compete with them. They were great in periods last year so there was reason for excitement however SAF always had lots of options up top, better than Ighalo. Liverpool causally bought Jota and maybe someone like him would of been good for us or a different type of attacker.

Stacks

You were the same fans who praised Lampard and Gerard and despised Carrick and Scholes. Whereas Carrick and Scholes were used as benchmarks to teach Spanish footballers how to play in the MF, the English fans and media preferred else, preferred the ones who could run more and shoot more. Spain went on to produce the best midfield in the world at the time, winning the World Cup and the Euro.
No one despised Carrick and Scholes. They simply did not perform for England. Scholes had plenty of chances before Gerrard and Lampard broke into the team. Gerrard and Lampard didn't play that well either and people regularly said they should not play together so I don't know where you get your info from.

I am sure the Spanish learned how to play football before Carrick and Scholes played and had many other reference points so to suggest Scholes and Carrick made them into world cup greats is amusing. Xavi is older than Carrick and Guardiola is older than Scholes and they were great midfielders who are Spanish. Mendieta is also as old as Scholes as is Ruben Baraja. Xavi was the reason Spain were so successful, much moreso than Carrick and Scholes :houllier:

jamesjimmybyrondean

He cares more about dropping deep and linking up play or dribbling than he does about making those movements constantly to score goals.

Highfather_24

Unpopular opinion : This season and last, Martial has looked more hardworking on the pitch compared to Rashford. He constantly presses, and blocks passing lanes, and runs at players more. I think him being lazy is a myth nowadays, because he has changed under Ole.

Jeffthered

- Nationality & culture bias will make you look at Rashy and Mason to inspire our team.
- Football tradition and ideology will make Mourinho discard players like KDB, Salah, Delle. Get one of the best-attacking midfielders from our academy in Scott and play them as a CDM, get another promising attacking MF in Pereira and play them as a CDM, propose the selling of Martial to get Perisic and Dier, discard the best MF in Mata from Chelsea because he didn't fit his ideology of preferring to play without the ball. Whereas I respect his ideology as a manager and willingness to win at all costs, I find him too mechanical.
Sorry, no it will not, certainly not with me ok. Such statements are too ambiguous anyway, how do you know whether anyone's nationality or culture will inform how they consider the ability of any players? It's a virtual forum, I have no idea what the people post look or sound like on RedCafe, so let's stick to what we can all watch and observe, regardless of nationality etc, and that is a game of football.

I look to Rashford and Greenwood (in this context ahead of Martial..) as inspirational players, because they have, on a number of occasions, proven to be that for United. Martial??? Inspirational games... remember Greenwood may still have been at school when Martial made his debut, and Rashford had not even started a game. Yet both carry more into games... maybe Martial needs to start to look at himself and ask why that is.

I don't understand the Mourinho historical analysis. I am speaking about his relationship and assessment of one player, Martial, and he has been proven to be right. A good player, much talent, but lacking the right mentality and application.

Raven

Being "there" requires a lot of attributes...so many attributes that make him potentially not even close to "there". That's the reason why people can't figure out Martial. He has a few sexy attributes, which he can turn on a few times every ten games, but for the most part, he's lacking in the areas his position requires a consistent player to have.

He is very limited with his feet, as he can only play off of his left side, which cuts him off from any dribbling, passing or shooting advantages he may have. His first touch is average, his off the ball movement is poor, his reading of the game is also poor, his passing and vision are average, he consistently lacks concentration, determination to get to the final ball, work rate in the press, anticipation and general in game awareness. These are a lot of attributes, in which the best and most consistent players have. As a left winger for example, Mane is aggressive, very concentrated, constantly anticipates passes and mistakes, works extremely hard off the ball both in his off the ball movement and pressing and has a good in game awareness. His ability to play on both flanks allows him to roam in attack and his work rate on the ball allows him to constantly attack. This is a similar set of attributes that most top attackers in the game today currently have, Martial isn't simply lacking one or two, he's lacking a boatload of areas.
Terrible post.

Raven

His attitude can be pretty poor in games I feel. Constantly throwing his arms up in the air if one of the attacker doesn't find him with a pass. He did it with Greenwood twice and it wasn't even a clear pass he should have made. Martial is probably guilty of taking one touch too many more than most.
When he got angry at Greenwood, so did Cavani. It was utterly brainless from Mason.

pascell

This season he has been very poor, his movement and selfishness is killing our attacks. I expected better from him given he was only playing the CL games during his ban. I think he'll be soon on the bench when Greenwood and Cavani hit form, he's becoming a problem for us.

lex talionis

I don’t doubt Martial’s ability, but his mentality is very poor. In years past we could lay the blame on Van Gaal and Mourinho for their dire tactics, but Ole has given Martial every opportunity to excel, which he did for a few months last season. But now, his form is mind-bogglingly poor. We’re not a cut bait time just yet, but if this persists through January we need to start planning on a new 9.

Raven

Honestly, people in this thread are so fecking deluded.

Has Martial been at his best? No. Should he have scored more so far this season? Absolutely. Is he still our most important attacker? Yes.

I can't wait until he's not in the team so I can watch every moron in this thread scratch their head as to why we can't spend any time with the ball in the opposition half. Rashford and Greenwood can't hold on to the ball up top and whilst Cavani's looked pretty good so far, his touch and hold up play have been very inconsistent. Martial is our only attacker thats capable of holding up the ball and bringing others into play consistently.

GueRed

Martial's just not aggressive

He just coasts through games. Very passive

Thats not good enough IMO

He'd be a decent squad player to have around. But a centre-forward to lead the line? no way.

Mourinho was right about the likes of him, Pogba and Shaw. Talented players but lack the concentration levels and application to be top performers.

wolvored

I hear what you are saying and I think Cavani was supposed to be the competition. All the ex pros were saying we need a Kane or a Haaland etc to win a title and I guess we are romantics here at United as many of us are keen to see Greenwood, Rashford and Martial to grow as our forward line, and not have anyone compete with them. They were great in periods last year so there was reason for excitement however SAF always had lots of options up top, better than Ighalo. Liverpool causally bought Jota and maybe someone like him would of been good for us or a different type of attacker.
Yes think if we had a Kane or Haaland upfront then we would be a completely different prospect. Cavani may or may not do it short term as he is well past his best years, but the way his movement the way he opened up the defence with his off the ball runs, and compared to the static martial when he hasnt the ball shows what we are missing.

HowYouDoin

Martial's just not aggressive

He just coasts through games. Very passive

Thats not good enough IMO

He'd be a decent squad player to have around. But a centre-forward to lead the line? no way.

Mourinho was right about the likes of him, Pogba and Shaw. Talented players but lack the concentration levels and application to be top performers.
Yup Mourinho was spot on.
Martial hasnt been a flop for us but he isnt good enough either.
When we sell though we wont make profit. We will get 50 mil tops for him.

Craig Ward

I didnt think he looked that back off the left in fairness to him. Not his best performance, but he's had much worse.

Areas he wasn't great in, but not deserving of the bashing he's getting in this thread tbh.

It's telling that in such a short space of time, you can see Cavani is an all round CF. The difference is massive. I've been vocal about Martial's inconsistency previously but honestly he will never be an elite level consistent CF.

He's been around long enough and he's miles behind so many premier league CF's, yet alone other league's too. He'll never be good enough as a CF to win his team the league. He will always have glimpses where he looks amazing, but ruthless consistency and an elite winning mentality he'll never have.

We need an upgrade at CF within the next 2 transfer windows

Verminator

I criticised his commitment in the West Brom game, but seriously, is form no longer a recognised variable anymore?

If someone has a bad run these days, they are written off, and should be replaced.
Well, all players have poor form from time to time. The ones who have it infrequently, or for shorter durations, are the ones considered elite.

Bruno is elite. His return is phenomenal, yet, even he came under fire for a slight dip in form.
No team has a full roster of elite players, and Martial is not considered one in ours. So, why bleat as if he is an underperforming talisman? It isn't as though he is keeping someone better out of the team.

This is more to do with the attitude of our fans, in an age of instant gratification.

Players having peaks and troughs hasn't changed in forever.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Martial has always been a player that thrives when he has space to operate in. If we look at the matches where he has exceled as a number 9 none of them will be against opponents that play two disciplined banks of four. He just doesn't have the ability to impose himself on those games, and its a big, big factor as to why United struggle to break those teams down. The fact that he managed to get 20+ goals last season under those circumstances is testament to his ability and shows why should want him in the squad.

I think he would have been dynamite as a forward in an old school 442, but nobody does that anymore so he needs to be used more carefully. Would I play him up front against City or Liverpool? Yes. Would I play him up front against West Brom? Not unless there were no better options, which has been the case up to now.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Nothing to do with nationality or culture. Martial continues to flatter to deceive, as he has done for years at Man United.

He's a limited player, with limited game intelligence, he over-plays, hoards possession, and STILL cannot decide where his best position is. He is not clinical in front of goal, he is inconsistent, doesn't score or guarantee loads of goals (ie Kane, Lewandoski, Aguero....), Doesn't lead the line or inspire the team, lacking personality and character..and these attributes are very, very important, especially in that role at that club. No one expects anything of Martial. I look to Rashford and Greenwood to inspire our team, our club, and make an impact on games.

The fact that we are STILL asking these questions about Martial, highlights and reflects the indecision which is currently defining our team, squad, playing style and ambition.

OGS answer to all this? Give him an improved contract ffs!

He will score a few goals soon, one or two will be great to watch. And then we will be back where we always are with Martial. Mourinho was right about him, and just brought in Ibra' in his late thirties, who had more impact in one season, than Martial had yet to achieve in years at OT.

Cash in and get rid , I have been saying this on here for years.
Totally agree

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I don't remember a more up-and-down player than Martial. He's either on "fire", scoring consecutive games - or he goes weeks without actually producing a good performance.

He needs to be benched for now. Cavani is the better center forward.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm starting to get concerned with his poor form now. Hopefully, it's down to a lack of preseason and missing 3 games through suspension.

Maybe he'll hit form once we get over the 10 league game mark and he's fitter? I certainly hope so anyway.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Unpopular opinion : This season and last, Martial has looked more hardworking on the pitch compared to Rashford. He constantly presses, and blocks passing lanes, and runs at players more. I think him being lazy is a myth nowadays, because he has changed under Ole.
I don't agree with the Rashford bit, but I do agree that he is putting in noticeable effort. His final ball is just lacking. I'm guessing it's a confidence thing.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Tons of people write him off, don‘t even see the positives he currently brings to the table and then even have the nerve to claim Cavani would be the better option based on Cavani doing what exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.