Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morpheus 7

We don't lose if puts away that easy chance, like his concentration went and didn't look at the ball properly. He's been shit since the Europa league semi finals. He was so good after the restart. This poor form is costing the team now. Martial FC will always make excuses but it's reaching a point where he needs to be dropped.

Andersons Dietician

I thought he was pretty good except for that absolute sitter he missed. Has to be finishing those. Poor lad was probably in shock that Rashford passed the ball. However big moments like that he needs to finish as inevitably that’s what people will remember and what you’ll be judged on. It was almost criminal that he fluffed that.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I thought he was pretty good except for that absolute sitter he missed. Has to be finishing those. Poor lad was probably in shock that Rashford passed the ball. However big moments like that he needs to finish as inevitably that’s what people will remember and what you’ll be judged on. It was almost criminal that he fluffed that.
As should be the case, like you eluded to you cannot play against a team like PSG for Man Utd and miss chances like them

It was a reminder to the chance he fluffed at Anfield last season as well and those in the knock out rounds of the EL last season. When the pressure is on unfortunately Martial isn't one to be counted on

Andersons Dietician

As should be the case, like you eluded to you cannot play against a team like PSG for Man Utd and miss chances like them

It was a reminder to the chance he fluffed at Anfield last season as well and those in the knock out rounds of the EL last season. When the pressure is on unfortunately Martial isn't one to be counted on
Thing is we’ve seen him do it in clutch situations before. Cavani through out his career for example misses a bucket load of chances and good oppertunities, Lewandowski, Zlatan, Rashford all the same so what do we do. Things like that happen.

Devil may care

Agreed on both accounts.

His all-round play has been improving lately. In his last three games he had a fairly good 20 minutes against West Brom, a decent 45 minutes against Basaksehir, and now he was decent for about 60 minutes or so today. So he's definitely playing better than he was at the beginning of the season. Unfortunately that hasn't translated to his finishing where he is still struggling massively.
I feel because he had the whole "Martial FC" thing at the beginning of his United career, which was nothing to do with him, he gets criticized a lot harsher than most of our players. He badly needs a goal without a doubt, his finishing has been really poor this season but his play has been good in several games.

redshaw

Over the season his contribution is good but it comes in at random times and he is so poor around that. Like a dud firework that can spark into life anytime.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He's had a couple of goals though and yet nothing has come of it. Last season is as good as its going to get for Martial at United. That was his peak.

Red_toad

I feel because he had the whole "Martial FC" thing at the beginning of his United career, which was nothing to do with him, he gets criticized a lot harsher than most of our players. He badly needs a goal without a doubt, his finishing has been really poor this season but his play has been good in several games.
He really doesn’t, he has a loyal following who see the player he can be, but we don’t get to see that player very often.

Devil may care

He really doesn’t, he has a loyal following who see the player he can be, but we don’t get to see that player very often.
I disagree with the first part, him, Pogba, Maguire and Shaw get both barrels for even a mediocre performance. I do agree that we are still waiting for him to become more consistent with his goal scoring.

Lynty

Really poor miss. It happens. Bruno not taking that half volley was just as criminal.

Rest of his game was OK. Put us through a few times. Needs to hit form quickly else it's over for him

Hisha

Supports
OLE OLE OLE I LOVE YOU
I think Mourinho will ultimately be proven right about Martial (and Pogba). He's just not good enough to start for a team that wants to win things or aims to be in the latter stages of the Champions League.
Mourinho is already proven right about Martial, Pogba and even Shaw. Jose was also right about Rashford, he is not a CF. United are never going to get back top as long as we are relying heavily on players with huge ego, poor work ethics and bad attitude.

In hindsight, should really have sold Pogba and Martial 2-3 years back for a huge sum when their market was high.

Withnail

I don't necessarily agree it's to do with pressure or anything like that. He's just not scoring at the moment in any game.

People can say Martial FC and claim he isnt consistent but he's consistently scored between 0.5 - 0.6 goals per 90 min he's played for us for the past 3 season and up until this season he'd been improving his strike rate year on year.

I don't think he's ever had a goal drought like this in his career. What is it 1 goal from open play in 1000 mins of football this season?

A lot of strikers go through periods like this and you'd have to think he'll be back among the goals soon.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Thing is we’ve seen him do it in clutch situations before. Cavani through out his career for example misses a bucket load of chances and good oppertunities, Lewandowski, Zlatan, Rashford all the same so what do we do. Things like that happen.
They do happen but there's absolutely ZERO comparison between Cavani, Lewa and Zlatan missing chances and Martial's inconsistency and chance fluffery! ZERO.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Shite. And not just the sitter he missed. He doesn't make runs, he doesn't pull defenders with him. He started getting better at it last season, which made me think he could be a proper centre forward, but now he's static again. He only really moves when he's got the ball. When he doesn't have it, you can often forget he's even playing.

MattofManchester

He's not improved a single bit since he first came here. He's just as inconsistent now as when he was 19. Has some decent moments in games but goes missing more iften than not.

At 25,he can't be classed as a developing talent anymore. I used to like him, but I'm sick of the inconsistency, and the complete lack of drive in his performances.

We need to move past players like this.

simplyared

He can look dangerous at times and has glimpses of genius but he constantly fails on the last hurdle. Players can make misstakes of course, but for the way he fluffed that chance last night he should be hung, drawn and quartered. To see such a fine build up result in such a poor finishing effort is hard to accept. Frustration is the word!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Thing is, we don't know if benching him can do worse or whether he needs to play himself into form. It's fine to "carry" if other strikers are ruthless but Greenwood himself missed an open net vs Southampton. Cavani will need to start if Martial does I feel, just to balance it out.

However I wonder if Cavani will be benched just to keep in good condition for Leipzig.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Thing is, we don't know if benching him can do worse or whether he needs to play himself into form. It's fine to "carry" if other strikers are ruthless but Greenwood himself missed an open net vs Southampton. Cavani will need to start if Martial does I feel, just to balance it out.

However I wonder if Cavani will be benched just to keep in good condition for Leipzig.
Yeah, makes you wonder how come we have 3 strikers in such poor form at the same time.

Kostov

Misses like that are unforgivable at this level against that kind of opponent. As soon as he missed I knew we were going to lose, and on top of that he shot poorly when that other chance got blocked.

romufc

These are very high level games, you have to take guilt edge chances. Top quality players take half chances, which is what separates the good from the elite.

DRM

His finishing was one thing that stood out for me, even when he first joined he was great at finishing off chances. But since the end of last season and now, he's been woeful at it! I don't know if its a mental thing or an ability thing but i'm just fed up of waiting for him to come good 6 years in. Sell in the summer and get an upgrade.

Idxomer

Something happened at the end of last season where he looked to be afraid of pulling the trigger and he got some penalties off it but that trait has carried with him into this season and seems to totally have lost his cool with his finishing.

It looks like he turned into Chelsea Torres overnight in front of the goal. It could be a mental thing but it's very weird and unusual to see.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Classic knee jerk now. He's been shit to start the season. He was excellent last season. He's been a brilliant finisher for 4 years, but the last few months can't score to save his life. It's a bad run. Calm the feck down people. He'll get out of it and get back in good form. Saying you want him gone is hilarious as it is idiotic, he's a very good player who while he might not be an automatic pick as our striker, can certainly be part of the group of main 4 to rotate for the front 3. Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, Cavani, and then post Cavani possibly Haaland if we're lucky. He's capable of being brilliant, but right now is probably going through the worst period in his career.
Every striker goes through bad patches where they cant score in a brothel, the problem here is that Martial have these bad spells way to often. Everyone recognises Martial had a great season last year, and was a big part in us securing CL football, but considering how competitive both the league and the CL is, we need him to deliver now, not in two months

Under LvG he was excused because of his age, under Jose he was excused because Jose was a twat and ruined his confidence. Now he has neither of those excuses. I like Martial and when hes in form hes fecking phenomenal, but with the goals we have we simply cant afford to have an attacker who is that inconsistent

Born2Lose

Should be sat on the bench with his mate Pogba until they find a level of professionalism that merits being in the first eleven.

Lassitude42

A head-down dribble merchant who gets massively overrated for his good technique

Lacks the desire to win, and the guile to be a top striker and is essentially a luxury player

Problem is Martial, Rashford and Greenwood are all "head-down dribble merchants" to some extent but Rashford has a much better attitude and Greenwood is still very young.

I'd ship him out ASAP whilst we can still get good money for him and get a replacement with drive and football intelligence. I'd bite your hand off for £50-60m

El Zoido

He’s a supremely talented player, his dribbling, close control, interplay in the box, all top class. But the problem is he’s a centre forward, so all that other stuff means feck all if he’s not sticking the ball in the net on the regular. We’ll argue this until he leaves because he’s never going to become the lethal CF we need to be successful. It’s just never going to happen.

Andersons Dietician

They do happen but there's absolutely ZERO comparison between Cavani, Lewa and Zlatan missing chances and Martial's inconsistency and chance fluffery! ZERO.
Bruh, Zlatan missed chance after chance when he was at United. Cavani made scoring wonder goals look easy compared to the amount of sitters he misses all through out his career from Palermo to Napoli to PSG.

Not saying they aren’t streaks ahead or Martial, they absolutely are but they all miss sitters quite frequently. Martial does need a kick up the backside and to get back to the decent finisher he was because right now clearly Cavani is the better option upfront.

Samrat Mazumdar

Martial is just NOT good enough for a club of our stature, but then neither is the manager.....so its a crockpool all over

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
But the problem is he’s a centre forward,
I think the problem is that he's NOT a centre forward. I really think he should only be put there when Cavani is unavailable and should try and make that LW spot his own. We shouldn't be relying on Martial to get us the majority of our goals.

SirMarcusRashford

I've said it before and i'll say it again, Newcastle is his level and that is being generous.

For all people commenting making out the Martial's problem is this season only, it's not. He's always been a maramite player.

I don't don’t see anything in Martial’s game that makes me want to pay to watch him play football, he's below average finishing/poor workrate/I don't think he's particularly great with the ball (which people go on about), i just think people are used to this mediaocracy that when a player like Cavani comes along (for free must add), it hits us in the face like a ton of bricks, we are like 'woah, we are not used to this, this guy is good (his runs/his presence/his workrate/his work for the team/his finishing) and I'm used to thinking Martial is good' (when he really isn't). It is like we've forgot what a proper CF looks like and the characteristics you need in this position.

Trade Martial for very good strikers (not elite) like Ings, Calum Wilson and it would be an upgrade, those players would have finished those chances last night and have many more goals for Manchester United than Martial as during his time here, if we had someone like Vardy/Kane instead of Martial (elite) then we'd think christmas will have come every single week, thing is though we may have that already in Cavani, we just need to play him.

But that should be the aim for United in the summer, getting that elite striker in as Cavani will be 34 and other than Greenwood, i don't think we have any proper CF's here.

lex talionis

If Martial really has it in him, at the very least no one can deny he’s been in shocking form all season and it’s cost us dearly. It’s time for Ole to give him a proper benching — just a few weeks as we’re heading into fixture congestion at the end of the month — and see how he responds.

If we’re still making excuses or dreaming of his potential in February, we need to address the situation head on going into next season.

HowYouDoin

His finishing was one thing that stood out for me, even when he first joined he was great at finishing off chances. But since the end of last season and now, he's been woeful at it! I don't know if its a mental thing or an ability thing but i'm just fed up of waiting for him to come good 6 years in. Sell in the summer and get an upgrade.
I dont think his finishing was ever that great tbh yet he had the reputation as a lethal finisher here.
The thing is he only really has one shot at his disposal, inside of his right foot one and its been like that since he got here. Never really developed any other element of his game.
Now compare that to Greenwood who is very two footed, can score from all sorts of angles or to Rashford who has long range ability, ability to score from the right side into the left corner like against PSG in the first game and its a massive difference. Rashford obviously worked on it and developed his shooting. He even has that tricky curve in his shot that confuses keepers or he knows how to get the ball to bounce right in front of the keeper which makes it hard for them like against Buffon when Lukaku scored on the deflection.

Martial, same as when he was 19, he can only shoot if he is cutting in from the left with the inside of his right foot. Been like that forever, he hasnt added anything new to his game really.
Its the only shot he has, its not exactly powerful, it requires him to have space, he cant really pull it off if hes running with the ball, he is just an extremely limited footballer that doesnt really have much. He can play one two passes, he has decent dribbling technique and close control but he never really developed. Thats pure talent, he is the same player he's been since he got here.

Time to sell seriously. Martial is a very very average player.

AngliaRed

I’ve said for some time that the problem at this club is Martial and Rashford are not good enough.

You can argue Rashford is playing out of position injured whereas Martial is playing in his favourite position and still looks lazy and disinterested. He has essentially lost his no.9 spot to a 33yr old who came out of retirement. If that isn’t enough motivation to be better and take it back then get use to the bench.

pascell

The problem is, he's 25 in 2 days, he's been at United 5 years and there isn't anything in his game apart from body strength which I can he's improved on in those 5 years. For me he hasn't perfected anything in his game and then it's a case of fine tuning the rest of his game, he's still wildly inconsistent and for me, doesn't have the aggression and work rate we need for a striker in our system.

If this season continues much the same from him, I'd cash in in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.