Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I enjoy watching Martial as a Manchester United player. I personally dont feel "hate or annoyance" at him because he has been useful during a tricky time for the club and has helped us win some trophies on the way.

If we have better players than him one day (we should always strive to upgrade our squad and players when we can for each positions season after season ), then its ultimately up to him to decide if he wants to play a more squad rotation role in the future. If he is happy, he can progress further and be a useful player as Nani - a player that needed a world class legendary team to cover his deficiencies (something that Martial lacks/doesn't get to play with). If he is unhappy with playing a bit part role then he can go.

However, I do wonder why Rashford, Greenwood and Martial - arguably all 3 look like they are currently playing a shadow of their former selves though; it's not just Martial. Our front 3 was regarded to be as good as Liverpool's front 3 and one of the most deadly. Wonder what has effect all of them.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He is not playing badly just needs to find his finishing boots
That's kind of the point of football. Scoring goals. That's what make you win. United's about winning. You don't score, you're not a winner. Very simple.

KennyBurner

All the people talking about how he is totally useless when he's not scoring and is off form or mentally imperfect - yesterday he was off-form and according to this place competition = problem for him mentally. But his all-round game was fine yesterday. 2 chances created with really good passes, and a big involvement in the goal. It was his finishing that was off.
You just have to drown out the noise from all the posters taking out their anger on a Manchester united player. Just reading through the shite the past 3 pages and you wonder what is even the point of posting? His finishing was terrible but gameplay wise he was better than average. Of course he cost us the game but that is no reason for some of the shite being directed at him. We should still be able to get through and if we dont that will be because we are not good enough as a whole.

KennyBurner

He may well be replaced by Dan James come the weekend......then he will know his performances have been shite!
Wake up! Martial could play terribly the next 3 games and Ole will still not bench him because thats how far he is above the dross we have at the club. Dan James wouldn't even start for Sheffield.

Supports
England
Our front 3 was regarded to be as good as Liverpool's front 3 and one of the most deadly. Wonder what has effect all of them.
When and by whom? I don't think there's ever been a time in the last several years when non-United fans would've agreed with that.

Bebestation

When and by whom? I don't think there's ever been a time in the last several years when non-United fans would've agreed with that.
Not that they were regarded as good (sorry for the poor words) but they were producing numbers as good as them last season and this season all 3 of them are looking shit. Martial rightfully gets the majority of the blame because he is the oldest of the lot and the most central player but still it's not like Rashford and Greenwood are playing like they were doing after the restart of last season's campaign.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
The knee jerk thought is to write him off. But as much as his misses annoyed me, there’s a good player in there.

He needs to move off the ball more though, he has the pace to do it but he wants it’s to feet constantly and defenders know this.

Big season ahead for him. I feel it’s make or break.
The thing is though, this is not new.

Hes had these awful spells before, often followed by some brilliant form. The problem is that we desperately need a CF who consistently can lead the line and the sand is starting to run out when it comes to Martial. We all know how good he can be when hes in form, City match at Etihad last year comes to mind. Before Bruno came i would argue he was our most important player.

Right now we are 1/4 into the PL campaign and well into the CL season. Everyone was in rotten form at the start because of obvious reasons, but Martial has kept that rotten form and its a huge problem. If we aspire to climb back to the top and compete for the big trophies, we simply cant afford to have our main CF going through these kinds of barren spells on a yearly basis. Rashford in comparison also has this problem, but imo his bottom level is much, much higher so even when hes in shite form he can deliver deciding moments of quality

2 goals, 1 OG, 1 red card and 1 OG in 10 matches. Thats catastrophic form

Supports
England
Not that they were regarded as good (sorry for the poor words) but they were producing numbers as good as them last season and this season all 3 of them are looking shit. Martial rightfully gets the majority of the blame because he is the oldest of the lot and the most central player but still it's not like Rashford and Greenwood are playing like they were doing after the restart of last season's campaign.
Fair enough mate

Bebestation

So Jose was right about him? :nervous:
The problem was he maybe right about Rashford Martial, Pogba (his own bought player) but he was wrong about Sanchez, Lukaku, Bailly and so much other cr*p. He was hardly right about anything good only the bad stuff. Perisic over Martial? Nah I'm okay thanks even if one struggles doesn't mean his ideas come out better.

Perisic over Martial :drool:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Has anyone stopped to watch Martial/Rashford play football and then watched united from 99/00 or 06-08? Martial and Rashford would have been shot in those teams. The slow pace at which they play with the ball kills any team momentum. We used to have a go at Berba for slowing the ball down with Rooney, Ronaldo, tevez and park flying around him at 100mph.

It’s just a shame both of these guys are 1 for 4 finishers.

What’s the point with them?

El Zoido

He was right in so far that he’s not a centre forward. A rotation option with Rashford on the left side of a front three is probably the best use of him. So.. yeah, he was right.

GueRed

Jose was 100% right about Pogba, Martial and Shaw. Talented players but they are soft and dont have the mentality to be the backbone of a club our size. He wanted them out..

The way he went about it was imo a bad move though...because things like criticising them in public backfired...

He also said Rashford is not a CF and so far is proving to be right as well

Threesus

Wake up! Martial could play terribly the next 3 games and Ole will still not bench him because thats how far he is above the dross we have at the club. Dan James wouldn't even start for Sheffield.
For me, he has to rotate with Rashford on the left. None of this No 9 business for him anymore. I am not sure he created any better chances for others than the one Rashford created for him and the one Bruno made for him and he had time to blast the ball into the net. An own goal, a red card and just 2 goals this season is just not good enough. Even a 30 something Giroud is performing better than him this season. I am just praying that he shows up against West Ham. It's beyond time for him to step up and be counted.

sillwuka

If we did happen to sell Martial I wouldn't be to sure of who to replace him.

Martial is a very good player on his day but I don't think he has that desperate will to win. He's too relaxed for my liking.

Bebestation

Calvert Lewindowski? Everton wouldn't sell but it's worth a shot.
This is who I think Pochettino will go for if he becomes manager and cant get Haaland even though we shouldn't hype Calvert Lewin too much I think after one season.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If we did happen to sell Martial I wouldn't be to sure of who to replace him.

Martial is a very good player on his day but I don't think he has that desperate will to win. He's too relaxed for my liking.
This is it 100%. He just lacks that drive.

I remember Vince Lombardi saying that wanting to win was everything. You have to have will.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Jose was 100% right about Pogba, Martial and Shaw. Talented players but they are soft and dont have the mentality to be the backbone of a club our size. He wanted them out..

The way he went about it was imo a bad move though...because things like criticising them in public backfired...

He was right but he wanted to get rid of Martial for Willian!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How come you're still around? I'm willing to take that bet, yes.
Why wouldn't i be?
It's a brave bet (assuming one of the two didn't come on last night and look brilliant as i was out) to think two totally unused youngsters are going to keep Martial out in 3months!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

He brought in Bailly and Lindelof. Was he right on them too?

He brought in Pogba as well if you remember!

Plus he'd have saddled us with Willian and Perisic at huge cost and no doubt some extra nonsense if he had stayed longer.

Raven

Some people in this thread are going to look like true cretins in the near future. He doesn't look like he could finish his dinner right now but he's always been very reliable in front of goal. He'll be back and you'll all return to the woodwork.

Threesus

All the people talking about how he is totally useless when he's not scoring and is off form or mentally imperfect - yesterday he was off-form and according to this place competition = problem for him mentally. But his all-round game was fine yesterday. 2 chances created with really good passes, and a big involvement in the goal. It was his finishing that was off.
You say 2 chances created, but were any as good as the ones created for him though? If you wear the No 9 at Man United, you have to step up and be responsible. People keep saying that he was the Player's player of the year last year, so was Luke Shaw in 18-19. So many of us think that he is not good enough. Wayne Rooney scored 19 goals and provided 22 assists in 2013-2014. Nobody was using those stats to defend him by 2015-2016. In sports like in any other industry, you have to update your resume week in week out. He was missing chances in that Sevilla game as well and has continued that form into the new season.

It's frustrating because he has the talent but is not using it consistently enough. And how much longer can we afford to carry such players, because our trophy drought is already at 3 coming on at 4, and our PL and CL trophy drought is at 8 and 13 years respectively. At some point, we have to cut ties with such players if we are to move forward as a club. You can't pin his form on Ole either, because he has always started him when fit.

Threesus

Some people in this thread are going to look like true cretins in the near future. He doesn't look like he could finish his dinner right now but he's always been very reliable in front of goal. He'll be back and you'll all return to the woodwork.
The West Ham game on Saturday would be a good start.

GueRed

He brought in Bailly and Lindelof. Was he right on them too?

He brought in Pogba as well if you remember!

Plus he'd have saddled us with Willian and Perisic at huge cost and no doubt some extra nonsense if he had stayed longer.
I dont rate Bailly and Lindelof they are proving to be terrible buys, Bailly in particular.

Pogba was Woodward's marquee signing that summer 2016

Withnail

True! I can't believe what I'm reading.

Raven

The West Ham game on Saturday would be a good start.
Agreed, would love to see a return to goalscoring form for him. He's been pretty good at everything but scoring so I'm sure it will come back, just needs to keep working hard.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
You say 2 chances created, but were any as good as the ones created for him though? If you wear the No 9 at Man United, you have to step up and be responsible. People keep saying that he was the Player's player of the year last year, so was Luke Shaw in 18-19. So many of us think that he is not good enough. Wayne Rooney scored 19 goals and provided 22 assists in 2013-2014. Nobody was using those stats to defend him by 2015-2016. In sports like in any other industry, you have to update your resume week in week out. He was missing chances in that Sevilla game as well and has continued that form into the new season.

It's frustrating because he has the talent but is not using it consistently enough. And how much longer can we afford to carry such players, because our trophy drought is already at 3 coming on at 4, and our PL and CL trophy drought is at 8 and 13 years respectively. At some point, we have to cut ties with such players if we are to move forward as a club. You can't pin his form on Ole either, because he has always started him when fit.
I'm saying now for the 3rd time that his finishing was bad. That doesn't mean the reSt of his game was as well. You can quibble about the difficulty of the chances but that's not the issue, his role in them was to pass, and both his passes were correct, the one for Bruno was great, and he was the spark for the goal as well. The reason I'm saying this is because a common sentiment in this thread was that he was totally useless when he's off-form, which was not the case yesterday. He has played much worse (especially this season), and so have others, including some in the game yesterday, yesterday his all-round game was fine and if either chance had been taken it would have been recognised.

Also, I think being POTY does count for something, as does his past finishing, which was good even when he was off-form before. We're early in a weird season right now.

VivaRonaldo85

The thing is though, this is not new.

Hes had these awful spells before, often followed by some brilliant form. The problem is that we desperately need a CF who consistently can lead the line and the sand is starting to run out when it comes to Martial. We all know how good he can be when hes in form, City match at Etihad last year comes to mind. Before Bruno came i would argue he was our most important player.

Right now we are 1/4 into the PL campaign and well into the CL season. Everyone was in rotten form at the start because of obvious reasons, but Martial has kept that rotten form and its a huge problem. If we aspire to climb back to the top and compete for the big trophies, we simply cant afford to have our main CF going through these kinds of barren spells on a yearly basis. Rashford in comparison also has this problem, but imo his bottom level is much, much higher so even when hes in shite form he can deliver deciding moments of quality

2 goals, 1 OG, 1 red card and 1 OG in 10 matches. Thats catastrophic form
Agree with this. I have always been a supporter of Martial but this continual pattern of weeks & months of nothingness followed by a hot streak season in season out is way beyond frustrating now. You see the top players appear to want it all the time. He looks like he wants it when it suits him. Bundles of natural talent but not good enough mentality or character to lead our line sorry.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Somebody on Twitter mentioned that while he missed the best chance - he actually put 3 of them through on goal (rashford,Bruno and Cavani) so it’s not like he had an awful match, just his finishing let him down.

its strange as his finishing has usually been really good, just having an off patch so far this year.

Foxbatt

He tries hard now unlike before but has been very poor in finishing off. I thought it was a sure goal and still do not understand how he missed the target.

lex talionis

The season isn’t half over yet. Martial has been poor and I seriously doubt his drive to succeed, but he does have the rest of the season to overcome whatever it is that causes him to be so indifferent on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.