Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Best game he's had, comparable to those time after lock down. He was strong on the ball, shaked-off their players so many times, I was rubbing my eyes to see it was Martial. Also he was so mobile and visionary.

Superunknown

We didn't draw the game 0-0...BECAUSE OF HIS DIRECT INVOLVMENT IN THE SCORING OF GOALS
Wow, how obnoxious are you? Typing in capitals like that is very immature. Also, learn to read as I clearly said "had we drawn that game 0-0, then we'd be crucifying him for his misses" before talking about how his overall game today was nice, but he needs to work on his finishing. In my previous post, I said he had a good game.

It is fine to criticise a striker's finishing ability when they have one league goal all season, which is what we are talking about here. I appreciate that his overall game today was good, which I already said.

KeanoMagicHat

Brilliant from general play, a clinic in how to hold the ball up. Now just needs to get his finishing back. His first touch and dribbling is really unique for a number 9 in the league, only Firmino compares.

amsoUG

The cult of Tony is mental.

The guy is our number 9, an iconic shirt number which should mean lots of goals.

Instead we get a guy who most people would agree isn't a natural striker and has scored 1 goals all season in the Prem. He then has a half decent game against Leeds (still no goals) and any slander on emperor Tony shall not be tolerated? :lol:

Realistically we either push him back to left attacking midfield or sell him and use the money to get a proper striker. This blind loyalty to players who are not performing in the positions they are put in, is part of the reason we have been such a mess since Sir Alex
It's not about being mental - it's appreciating different football ideologies and therefore players.

Majorly in English football, traditional 9s are overhyped as so necessary to win you a league - the big, tall guy to score you goals - the Andy Carrol or Shearer-like player - it's just linear thinking to be such role focussed for a dynamic sport, and here is why...

Pep binned or displaced the best #9s in all top 3 leagues of World football to create the best club team in world football > Eto - the best #9 in La Liga, Henry - the best #9 and player in EPL, Ibra - the best #9 in La Liga.

We are playing our best football since Sir Alex and people find a reason to moan. Any team, even Pep's would think twice about playing openly against us. Guys stop moaning!

TsuWave

What's that tasteless bs. Is this supposed to be funny?
:confused:

It’s SofaScore rating of Martial’s performance. 9/10. The picture of the guy with the drink is a twitter meme in the vein of “we are feasting/we are eating good tonight” because Martial had a good performance. Are you OK?

Mr Smith

Alarming how a player can play so well and yet be so wasteful in front of goal. We're quite fortunate today so many other players were so clinical. Martial needs to find his shooting boots fast.

Revan

Assumptionman
Great playmaking, but he missed such easy chances. His confidence in front of goal has been totally shot.

Godfather

:confused:

It’s SofaScore rating of Martial’s performance. 9/10. The picture of the guy with the drink is a twitter meme in the vein of “we are feasting/we are eating good tonight” because Martial had a good performance. Are you OK?
Man I'm getting old

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It's not about being mental - it's appreciating different football ideologies and therefore players.

Majorly in English football, traditional 9s are overhyped as so necessary to win you a league - the big, tall guy to score you goals - the Andy Carrol or Shearer-like player - it's just linear thinking to be such role focussed for a dynamic sport, and here is why...

Pep binned or displaced the best #9s in all top 3 leagues of World football to create the best club team in world football > Eto - the best #9 in La Liga, Henry - the best #9 and player in EPL, Ibra - the best #9 in La Liga.

We are playing our best football since Sir Alex and people find a reason to moan. Any team, even Pep's would think twice about playing openly against us. Guys stop moaning!
Shearer would score 50 a season in this team

TsuWave

Man I'm getting old
Aye man it’s ok to be washed up. Can’t be on top forever. Growing old is a beautiful thing, not all of us get to do it. Be safe uncle.

Now let’s get back to talking about this clinic Martial put on today. Still can’t believe there’s weirdos in this thread that can’t enjoy his work today. Yes, should have scored, but he was one of the best, if not the best on the pitch today.

Last edited:

UDontMessWith24

Wow, how obnoxious are you? Typing in capitals like that is very immature. Also, learn to read as I clearly said "had we drawn that game 0-0, then we'd be crucifying him for his misses" before talking about how his overall game today was nice, but he needs to work on his finishing. In my previous post, I said he had a good game.

It is fine to criticise a striker's finishing ability when they have one league goal all season, which is what we are talking about here. I appreciate that his overall game today was good, which I already said.
Brilliant, but that’s a completely moot point as he was a major contributor to it not finishing 0-0. Yes, if he had finished with 0 goals and 0 assists he would have been criticized. As he’s an attacker, that’s not exactly breaking news.

The Oracle

He's the closest player we can get to a player like Firmino without having to spend another 40+million unnecessarily.

People who compare him to Haaland will never be satisfied with him because that's a problem first with tactical understanding.

Let's get Haaland or someone to replace Cavani for a traditional number 9 and keep Martial as our False 9 option in the squad - the best of both worlds.
The big difference though is that Firminho scores a lot of headed goals... Martial doesn't.

Martial has 5 headed goals in 236 appearances for United
Firminho has 20 headed goals in 265 appearances for Liverpool

**Sourced from transfermarkt**

Godfather

Aye man it’s ok to be washed up. Can’t be on top forever. Growing old is a beautiful thing, not all of us get to do it. Be safe uncle.

Now let’s get back to talking about this clinic Martial put on today. Still can’t believe there’s weirdos in this thread that can’t enjoy his work today. Yes, should have scored, but he wasn’t one of the best, if not the best on the pitch today.
I'm not that old ffs! Just never used Twitter so I didn't know bout that meme.

Anyway I agree. Been good today. Would have loved it if he had put one of these chances away.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The big difference though is that Firminho scores a lot of headed goals... Martial doesn't.

Martial has 5 headed goals in 236 appearances for United
Firminho has 20 headed goals in 265 appearances for Liverpool

**Sourced from transfermarkt**
That's true but they also have more crosses.

I think Martial is the better general finisher on the floor to Firmino though so it evens out a bit. Again if we need headed goals maybe we should use our traditional poacher type forward, if we need a creative player centrally then use someone like Martial.

Mcking

Two consecutive good games now. Thought he was superb today, but wouldn't read too much into it.

Leeds were shocking physically. We were just bullying them like a bunch of kids. Don't think of any of their players that started today who is outstanding physically. All weak as piss, and their defenders are shocking athletes.

Foxbatt

This is a team game and he is playing for the team. He created so much today.

hubbuh

Great game, he'll be disappointed he missed those chances but he's getting in the right areas and is looking much more threatening than in games previous. Good stuff.

amsoUG

Shearer would score 50 a season in this team
I don't think so. Football has evolved, -- otherwise, Icardi would be the best scoring 9 in Europe with all that creativity around him. Benzema (who has never won a golden boot) would have been the best scoring 9 as well with all creativity that has been around him for years. Alex himself would have played Teddy or OGS ahead of Yorke as they were more clinical than the latter.

Alemar

When a forward has 2A plus penalty earned, it must be a good game. But two easy sitters missed... seriously, those were mandatory goals

Matt851

That's true but they also have more crosses.

I think Martial is the better general finisher on the floor to Firmino though so it evens out a bit. Again if we need headed goals maybe we should use our traditional poacher type forward, if we need a creative player centrally then use someone like Martial.
Surely the big difference between martial and firmino is that firmino always works his arse off

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don't think so. Football has evolved, -- otherwise, Icardi would be the best scoring 9 in Europe with all that creativity around him. Benzema (who has never won a golden boot) would have been the best scoring 9 as well with all creativity that has been around him for years. Alex himself would have played Teddy or OGS ahead of Yorke as they were more clinical than the latter.
Shearer was a better footballer than you give him credit for.
Secondly Lewa and Haaland banging in goals suggest that the traditional number 9 is not finished

Quinzaine

Those talking about the two missed chances - he OBVIOUSLY should have scored them, nobody is denying that. However, he's been a clinical finisher for four years and is obviously low on confidence in that department, there's nothing suggesting it's a long-term cause for concern given his shot conversion rate with us over the last few years has been at a world-class level. His general play was very good today, we really take Martial for granted - it's not normal for a striker to create four clear cut opportunities for their teammates in one match whilst completing 7 dribbles out of 8, we're so blessed in that regard. WhoScored giving him a 9.8 rating for the performance as a striker despite not scoring any goals sums it up, once his finishing is back he's such an asset. We don't look good with Rashford and/or Greenwood upfront, they don't play well with one another and don't bring others in to play the way he does but everybody seems to overlook that and starts thinking about the new shiny toy we could have leading the line instead assuming the grass will be greener. Last year it was Werner who everybody compared him to but it's so clear to see since he's come to England that Martial's game is so much more complete and refined than his, Werner has been shifted out wide and isn't in the same league as Martial technically but anybody suggesting that a year ago would be laughed at. Enjoy Martial whilst he's here not only because he has so much quality but because he's actually such a unique player in how he approaches everything, he's a playmaker, a dribbler, a finisher all in one and although it hasn't come together as often as we'd like he's showing signs of getting to that level he showed post-lockdown last season. It appears he's undroppable in Ole's eyes and I'm with him.

Should have scored, but his all round play was very good, and he’s getting into positions. Would be more worried if he wasn’t getting chances.

needs to put his foot through the ball rather than side footing he. Smash it Anthony!

getting back into form.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Was excellent at everything but scoring today. Unfortunately for him though, #9s are judged on goals.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
@Carl

Came here to say exactly the same. Had a great game. The amount of space afforded to us made him look like he was in the playground having fun.

Eddy_JukeZ

He was incredible besides his crap finishing.

Need him scoring goals again. Excellent otherwise today.

Matt851

I feel like a lot of his missed chances lately have been attempted side foot placed finishes which have lacked the required power or accuracy. Wonder if he should try hitting it with more power

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Thought he was absolutely class today, he deserved a goal so much so it’s a bit sad to see him snatching at shots, clearly getting a bit panicky infront of goal.

his hold up play was exceptional though, really a big reason for how we build out attacks.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I hope he can get over whatever mental block is affecting his finishing, his all round play is actually still very good.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Yeah he's getting there. Looked himself out there, much sharper, great movement, just a pity about the finishing. We missed him, though, didn't we? I'd nearly forgotten what he brings when in form.

InfiniteBoredom

Was it Ruud who said goals are like ketchup? You squeeze too hard and none comes out, but once it comes out it splurges.

Of course, you have the Torres and Sheba of the world who suddenly went off a cliff and never recovered, but given Martial’s age it’s pretty unlikely.

Also he tends to play well over the winter period so even if goal scoring issue persists, I think we have a good chance with him in the side rather than not for the next fixtures.

Foxbatt

Yes normally he is so clinical but now he is taking an extra touch and that is a problem. But he brings so much more than just a scoring. It was funny the way he went down and was lying on the ball. It looked very comical.

Status
Not open for further replies.