4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RooneyLegend

For a full 18 months? How long does it take a pro athlete to get match fit? His movement is none existent. He ghosts into the box like he's not sure why he's there, but he know's he should be there because it's his job. He looks like he's working his two week notice period.
Last season he had issues in front of goal which isn't consistent with what we've seen from him over the years. Now he's clearly not match fit as he's coming back from injury and no real pre season.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We devalue players so much before we make a decision to sell them.

That’s a big issue for this club right now.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I've always thought that he was never a true 9, a natural 9 I mean. Even in his best form, I was never fully convinced. Whatever his best position, it's painful to see how far he is from the level we hope he should be

crossy1686

career ending
Last season he had issues in front of goal which isn't consistent with what we've seen from him over the years. Now he's clearly not match fit as he's coming back from injury and no real pre season.
Last season he was appalling. We're not just talking about his goal scoring here, his movement is absolutely terrible from a so called top class striker, he has zero desire or instinct when it comes to getting on the end of a ball in the box. We signed a finished Michael Owen who still knew where the net was, Martial has no excuses left.

Let's say for one second that he isn't match fit yet and needs more games, sure I'll buy it, but what about the whole of last season where he was benched for a 34 year old who's season didn't start until October? What about his inability to run into space behind the defender? What about him having no desire to get on the end of a cross or running straight into a defender with the ball at his feet?

In what other job can you be absolutely shit for 18 months and still have people make excuses for you?

Matriac

Well normally you expect most players to stay at a club like United while they are still good.
That includes the players themselves, they rarely want to leave unless they get no playing time.

I know in Martial's case there are plenty that say they saw the signs early, but then you have players like Lukaku where a significant portion of our fanbase says he never should have been sold (but he was cause he himself wanted to leave).

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

I honestly might riot if he starts at the weekend or midweek.
Cristiano won't be having it and Cavani's return should completely balance the hierarchy.

I'm sure Ole's trying to be diplomatic and simply get behind his players. It would be even more insane if Martial starts over Greenwood.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Well normally you expect most players to stay at a club like United while they are still good.
That includes the players themselves, they rarely want to leave unless they get no playing time.

I know in Martial's case there are plenty that say they saw the signs early, but then you have players like Lukaku where a significant portion of our fanbase says he never should have been sold (but he was cause he himself wanted to leave).
I think there’s a difference to a player that is still ‘good’ and ‘good enough’ for united. Chelsea and other clubs manage to do a much better job than us knowing when to sell.

crossy1686

career ending
Maybe he just needs a micro manager like Pep or Klopp to be good? He doesn’t seem to be able to work it out on his own, even when training alongside the likes of Zlatan, Lukaku, Ronaldo and Cavani.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

But the only person devaluing Martial is Martial himself.
Honestly, recently he has been simply awful. Shows no interest. And last night, the very best thing you can say is that he was anonymous. Really don't understand his mentality apart from that he does not want to be here.
Best thing is for him to move in January.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Martial is a sad case. I mean that, honestly. I'm not taking the mick.

The kid has got talent in spades. Its also not true that he cannot do a striker's job. Late in 2019-20 he was making near post runs, getting across defenders in the box. He looked like he was about to kick on.

However, the man looks quite easily shaken and I think we are seeing it again. Obviously, to be a pro footballer you have to be tough upstairs. Very few of us have a job where, if you mess up, tens of thousands of people start jeering you. I'm not saying Martial is delicate. However, when we got Zlatan he did not respond well. When we got Lukaku he did not respond well. When we got Cavani he did not respond well. Does not look like he has responded well to Cristiano coming back.

I feel like Martial will only ever show his best stuff at a club where he is without a doubt the main man, and that will never be Man Utd. United won the treble, had the best striker partnership in Europe, and Fergie was pretty much immediately after Van Nistlerooy. United isn't a club that stands still for anyone. Martial looks like he wants it to stand still for him.

We are seeing a player low on confidence. However, to restore his confidence we would have to put him on a pedestal. That just isn't going to happen.

I reckon Martial will go to a different club, a smaller club maybe, be their main guy and do well as a result. However, if he ever has to be part of any kind of rotation it will always go for him as we have seen it go in recent seasons. He wants top billing or nothing else. When he can't have it he loses a bit of his spark.

keener

My intent is that this is my last message in the Martial Thread. I've come in here and complained enough...

So will say my bit and leave it at that. Every minute Martial is on the field is taking away from another player that could be developing. We've given him more than enough opportunity to develop to a world class player and he's certainly not that. He was brought into a side as a teenager that was considerably weaker than this current team and had ample chance to improve, develop and mature. We have reasonably higher ambitions now with a more talented squad than when he arrived. IMO Anthony doesn't display the movement, ability to hold up the ball and connect passes, or even just be a part of movement and a flow in the team that has quick/fast, decently skilled players around him. He has a hard time with vision and seems to do only one or 2 things above average. He dribbles well in traffic (when he finally gets into this situation which isn't easy to achieve with his lack of movement and understanding of spacial relativity) and he is decent at putting the ball in the net in front of goal. For those reasons he should be able to play at a far less ambitious but still top league type team and have a nice career.

I tend to allow my opinion to become so negative because I get frustrated with his lack of movement, inability to hold up the ball when we are playing counter attack football and he's isolated up top. I get so disillusioned that I admittedly forget some of the really nice goals that he's scored for us over the last few years.

His inclusion in the team now angers me and is becoming a problem in this team IMO as we can't play a fluid attacking style if we are down an attacker (feels like we're down a man when he's in). I truly hope he's sold outright in January. Let's tie a pretty bow on this failed project and shift his minutes to Cavani, Sancho, Rashford, Jessie or a younger player.

lex talionis

My intent is that this is my last message in the Martial Thread. I've come in here and complained enough...

So will say my bit and leave it at that. Every minute Martial is on the field is taking away from another player that could be developing. We've given him more than enough opportunity to develop to a world class player and he's certainly not that. He was brought into a side as a teenager that was considerably weaker than this current team and had ample chance to improve, develop and mature. We have reasonably higher ambitions now with a more talented squad than when he arrived. IMO Anthony doesn't display the movement, ability to hold up the ball and connect passes, or even just be a part of movement and a flow in the team that has quick/fast, decently skilled players around him. He has a hard time with vision and seems to do only one or 2 things above average. He dribbles well in traffic (when he finally gets into this situation which isn't easy to achieve with his lack of movement and understanding of spacial relativity) and he is decent at putting the ball in the net in front of goal. For those reasons he should be able to play at a far less ambitious but still top league type team and have a nice career.

I tend to allow my opinion to become so negative because I get frustrated with his lack of movement, inability to hold up the ball when we are playing counter attack football and he's isolated up top. I get so disillusioned that I admittedly forget some of the really nice goals that he's scored for us over the last few years.

His inclusion in the team now angers me and is becoming a problem in this team IMO as we can't play a fluid attacking style if we are down an attacker (feels like we're down a man when he's in). I truly hope he's sold outright in January. Let's tie a pretty bow on this failed project and shift his minutes to Cavani, Sancho, Rashford, Jessie or a younger player.
Agreed. But if other clubs were interested with a serious offer in August I'm pretty sure we would have seriously considered selling him. But we all know the problem: his wages. What club, pandemic or no pandemic, would pay say 30m for a woeful player on 250k/week? To move Tony on, we need to seriously consider letting him go a number below 15m, maybe even a free transfer. And even then, who other than a few French or Turkish clubs would be interested, given his wages, even on a free?

HailtotheKing

Unreliable as striker. Playing him only because Cavani not fully ready is becoming more and more taxing for the team.
I always thought we’d have been better playing Greenwood up front, Sancho on right and Tony on the left. Greenwood would have been more deadly in the box and wouldve made more runs, moving the central defenders, allowing Tony to waltz in and shoot. Tony is more static than Tony Soprano. Really don’t get why he hasn’t ever tried to change that, especially when he sees Ronaldo scoring by doing exactly what he doesn’t do.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
For all the talk of him getting sold, I think we will struggle badly to get rid. Might get lucky, but with that salary, and probably an unrealistic expectation from our club about his value, I doubt we will manage to sell him. Maybe a loan to Ligue 1, BL or Serie A next year?

We would be very lucky if we had an offer of £20 mill. Would be a huge salary of the books.

Stacks

Looking back on the posts from just over a year ago is just CRAZY. This isn't to shame anyone, more so to see how really excited we was and how much he has let many of us down. The flip reversal is astonishing. the difference 12 months makes. What people were saying then to now just shows how football can change so quickly. Reading it makes me giggle simply because of what people are saying now. Anto man..........

Martial has far better assists stats as a striker too though. For United in the PL Martial has an assist every 423 minutes while Kane has an assists every 888 minutes. And Kane was a better striker until 2018, the reality is that Kane would have to up his game to match Martial today and in the context of the point that started this conversation you would be daft to take Kane over Martial because in the case of Martial you are judging what he is today while in the case of Kane you are judging what he was 2 years ago.

And don't get me wrong, 2014-2018 Kane is far better than current Martial but he is also a lot better than 2018-2020 Kane.
I think Kane's passing is severely underrated, especially from deep where I think he's better than Tony. In terms of quick linkup they're similar. But to suggest that the only thing that Martial has over Kane is 'quickness and explosiveness' is just foolish. Martial is about 10x the dribbler in tight areas that Kane is. Who knows how Martial will end up comparing, it's his first season as our full time #9 since LVG and he's developing new qualities all the time. His hold up play and movement has come on leaps and bounds. Kane is undoubtedly one of the best strikers of his generation, his positioning and ability to find space is just world class #9 play. But who knows if he'll ever truly be the same as before his injury.

Martial's definitely had the better season, whatever reasons for that people might want to argue. I'm a big fan and think he's on track to become one of the most complete CFs in the world. Whether he can reach the heights of Kane or eventually surpass him remains to be seen.
I mean when people are saying that Martial is better than Kane at this moment, bringing up how good someone has been for years before is pointless.
I don't care if he scored all his goals from his arse so long as he scores them. The fact is that he is a very young and exciting player and certainly more exciting than Kane. Martial is two younger too.
Henry used to come in from the left too mostly. Not bad if he can get even close to Henry. I still think with a better right sided player who created more than Greenwood he will score more. Greenwood is a much better scorer than he for creating chances.
Being English, I love Kane, but Martial is better at the moment. You're severely underrating his strength, hold up play, and his vision.

To be fair to Kane, he is playing under José, so that is a detriment to his play in and of itself. For England's sake, I hope he gets back to his best form, which is better than Martial, but we're just talking about this season.
I still can't believe there's people who wouldn't take a straight swap with Martial and Harry Kane :confused:

He's on another level.
If Martial has a 'higher ceiling' than Kane as some of you have said then i look forward to watching him transform into one of the best strikers the world has ever seen.
Well he is quicker and has better close control on the ball. And he is upping his game with bringing others into play while scoring worldies.

Even become more a fox in the box.

Ill say he is only going to get better.
Kane is a better player than Martial. Not by a huge amount, but it's still a clear difference.

But Martial's chemistry with Rashford make him a better fit for United.

Simply put, I wouldn't swap Martial for Kane right now. Spurs fans would be justified in saying the same thing.
Based on his performance this season, his age, his style of play and the fact that there isn't any world class striker worth getting at this point, yes Martial should be backed as our long term striker. Next season is huge for him. He can reach world class status
Martial is so exciting. I am on the edge of my seat every time he gets the ball. His interplay with Marcus, Mason, Pogba and Bruno make home the perfect number 9 for us..

I can’t wait for the next game...
He's the most irreplaceable part of our attack at the moment after a POTS worthy campaign so I'd say that yes he has to answer the question.

He was always gifted technically but his consistency was a bit up and down at times. He's become a much better player overall in terms of his all-around game under Ole especially in terms of work rate and all that he does to link up and put his teammates in great positions to do damage against opposing back-lines.

Couldn't be happier for him being in as good a situation professionally as he's had so far in his senior career playing under a manager who trusts and has confidence in him.
Great reply.
Seeing him him in action currently, whilst we could possibly improve on him, we would have to shell out an absolute fortune. He is doing well enough to be allowed to continue and will have competition from the likes of Greenwood, so he will have to continue to put the effort in.
I would not take Kane over Martial. Maybe that's a stupid opinion but I've always felt Kane is overrated and never been that excited by the thought of him in a United shirt.
Some people need to understand it's ok to change your opinion on a player as they progress and improve, equally as they regress and decline. There have been times I would have been fine if we sold Martial. Now I'm glad we stuck with him as it looks like there's a real and consistent talent emerging.
You’ve regularly shown to be clueless when it comes to Martial in this thread. The reality is you couldn’t spot his talent if it hit you in the face and won’t deserve to watch when he rightfully continues his development into one of the best strikers in the world.
Great Post. Always loved Martial and I think this season shows that with better players and a manager who believes in him he is a top player. We do not need to replace him. He is a modern number 9 that scores goals and combines well with other players.
Not looking it up just now but I think Martial has a better conversion rate than Kane. Kane also can't play on the wings which is needed for our interchanging front line.
He should aim for 30 goals in all comps next season.
Martial is perfect for the way we want to play. He is also excelling as a central striker. I really can't understand this narrative that we need to bring in a proper striker. Then these same pundits heap praise on Firminho. It really is mind boggling.

jem

Looking back on the posts from just over a year ago is just CRAZY. This isn't to shame anyone, more so to see how really excited we was and how much he has let many of us down. The flip reversal is astonishing. the difference 12 months makes. What people were saying then to now just shows how football can change so quickly. Reading it makes me giggle simply because of what people are saying now. Anto man..........
It also makes you think we maybe shouldn't be so quick to write him off. Yes he was bad last year, but injuries also took a toll and I think have probably had a knock-on effect on his confidence going into this year. The big issue I suppose is that he just might not get many more opportunities.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I've never seen him get torn to shreds this much before. Something changed with this West Ham game. It wasn't his worst performance of the past year or so yet it's the most criticism he has received. Interesting.

Litch

Amazing how many players we have turned to shite in this club. There certainly not many have improved.

MattofManchester

I've never seen him get torn to shreds this much before. Something changed with this West Ham game. It wasn't his worst performance of the past year or so yet it's the most criticism he has received. Interesting.
Most people are losing patience at his perceived lack of desire or effort.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This is an inverse wumminator vigilante shame stunt :D

For what it's worth, I was one of the smart ones thinking he won't come good :wenger:

Blood Mage

Looks to me like he's lost some pace and his close control isn't as good as it was. It's a damn shame, he was an elite talent who could have been one of the best in the world but I think persistent injuries and loss of confidence have ruined him.

RedDevil@84

Looks to me like he's lost some pace and his close control isn't as good as it was. It's a damn shame, he was an elite talent who could have been one of the best in the world but I think persistent injuries and loss of confidence have ruined him.
He does not have history of persistent injuries. He has just turned shit.

jesperjaap

I've always thought that he was never a true 9, a natural 9 I mean. Even in his best form, I was never fully convinced. Whatever his best position, it's painful to see how far he is from the level we hope he should be
I disagree. I never thought he was a left winger as previous managers seemed to play him rotated with Rashford.

I think he has the pace, is a natural finisher and has bery good feet on tha ball to cause problems to any defence and was glad to see Ole move him there over the last couple of seasons as thats where he deserved his chance................BUT.....he has had it now and he hasnt taken it. His movement and intelligence finding space is just dreadful as is his work rate. Not sure who the pundit was commentating against West Ham but he picked it up, time and time again when we have the ball he has hi sback to goal, wanders about and his only movement is to drop 5yds to the side, it was so unimaginative and easy for the defenders. I only see him being effective when we are sitting back and hitting sides on the break and his pace and quick feet can cause a problem.....but Id much rather see Greenwood there for those moments, let alone others. He is 4th choice as a striker for me now and pretty much the same on the left. I wonder if he was only kept as we were worried about Cavani being out for long spells and Greenwoods inexperience as a striker....before we signed ROnaldo, now we have ROnaldo he is mkost certainly surplus to requirements, without a doubt should be sold in January or the summer

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I disagree. I never thought he was a left winger as previous managers seemed to play him rotated with Rashford.

I think he has the pace, is a natural finisher and has bery good feet on tha ball to cause problems to any defence and was glad to see Ole move him there over the last couple of seasons as thats where he deserved his chance................BUT.....he has had it now and he hasnt taken it. His movement and intelligence finding space is just dreadful as is his work rate. Not sure who the pundit was commentating against West Ham but he picked it up, time and time again when we have the ball he has hi sback to goal, wanders about and his only movement is to drop 5yds to the side, it was so unimaginative and easy for the defenders. I only see him being effective when we are sitting back and hitting sides on the break and his pace and quick feet can cause a problem.....but Id much rather see Greenwood there for those moments, let alone others. He is 4th choice as a striker for me now and pretty much the same on the left. I wonder if he was only kept as we were worried about Cavani being out for long spells and Greenwoods inexperience as a striker....before we signed ROnaldo, now we have ROnaldo he is mkost certainly surplus to requirements, without a doubt should be sold in January or the summer
He isn't a natural finisher. The only natural finish in his locker was curling the ball far and that seems to be completely gone. A man who is a true striker, has better movement and doesn't have his finishing turn into nothingness just like that.

acnumber9

That thread was batshit crazy.

jesperjaap

He isn't a natural finisher. The only natural finish in his locker was curling the ball far and that seems to be completely gone. A man who is a true striker, has better movement and doesn't have his finishing turn into nothingness just like that.
Agree that without the movement he cant be a top class finisher as that is half the job ad that lets him down. I do think he is a natural finisher, but strikers more than any position rely a lot on confidence and lets face it, hi sbody language hasnt shown confidence for a ling time now.

Not saying he is an elite natural finisher, but I do think due to his awful form admittedly for some time now, people are under playing his finishing ABILITIES

Arth_

I'm genuinely baffled to see people almost surprised about Martial performance yesterday. It was literally the same thing we've seen time and time again from him, yet I don't remember him being criticized that much.

I even think he wasn't THAT bad yesterday. I'm usually very critical of him, but I thought he had some decent moments in the game, especially in the first half when he contributed nicely with some one-twos with Sancho, Lingard and Mata. I've definitely seen worse performances from him in the past.

Of course, if we look at him from the perspective of the role he was meant to play, he was appalling. But, like I've said, it's nothing new, that's always been the case with him. I truly believe that if you put Ronaldo or Cavani in his place then we end that game with a win. The only thing Martial's got of a center forward is the number on his back. His positioning when playing upfront is just horrible and his movement is almost non-existent. I was always of an opinion that he is at his best when he's playing on the left. I know that he had his best season number wise like 2 seasons ago, but personally I think he thrived the most early days under van Gaal. He was playing in a rigid system, usually told to hug the touchline waiting for the ball to come to his feet. It brought the best from him as it masked his low in-game intelligence and allowed him to make use of his best qualities.

Hopefully this game was the last we've seen of him leading the line.

jesperjaap

That thread was batshit crazy.
Well there was a period where his body language and confidence looked to have changed and he was finishing well. There isnt any doutb he has ability so I can understand the hope at that time. I think he was wasted on the left for a lot of time here, but he has had a good 2.5years as a striker now and 4months or so of good form in that period simply isnt good enough for a top four striker, should be 4months of bad form more like. Ive certainly given up on him now. With Ronaldo starting and hopefully Greenwood getting chances to play there plannig nlonger term he simply SHOULDNT be gettign opportunities now.....and thats before Cavani comes back

Shark

@NotShark
He's not a number 9 and never has been he's a wide player and in fairness he's had a few decent cameos out left when brought on this season. Playing him up top is just complete lunacy at this point.

RedDevil@84

I'm genuinely baffled to see people almost surprised about Martial performance yesterday
No. No one is surprised. Some people on the forum still clung on to the hope that he will come good somehow. Because he had a decent season in recent past.
Many posters had already given up on him years back.

Djemba-Djemba

I think a lot of people were willing to write last season off as just a complete disaster and hope it was a one off.

But last night was exactly the same from Martial as last season, he looked lazy, disinterested, slow and his finishing was again terrible.

He's been here 7 years now and he's putting in performances like that, I think last night was the final straw for a lot of Utd fans. Mine personally was the defeat at home to Sheff Utd when Martial was a disgrace but there you go.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I don't just blame Martial. Any manager worth his salt would be warning him from the touchline. "You give up on another ball and YOU ARE OFF". Ole sits there, arms crossed talking to mister no-expression Carrick. What is going on at Utd? You can't just buy the best players and FM it to glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.