Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He can be a good squad player for us this season. Hopefully he will put in a fight and use his limited time well. Fired up Martial from the bench is really good to have after all.

DickDastardly

Really hope he tears it up this season but I can see Greenwood out growing him this year unless he really knuckles down and fights
Mason is miles ahead of him.

That goal, the speed, the shot to the far post....left foot, right foot....that preassist to Pobga for Fred's goal...

Mason will keep both Cavani and Martial on the bench if he keeps playing like this.

I could see Tony leaving in the winter.

UnitedRepublic

Whats up didn’t watch the game was at a wedding, but why are people criticizing him for a 15 minute cameo ?

MadMike

Nice little cameo I thought. Not much to see, but a few nice touches and hold-up play.

He came back after 6 months out with injury, for the last 15 mins of an already dead game. I'm not sure what some were expecting to see here.

Last edited:

RUCK4444

I’ve been very vocal about how bad he was last season, but thought he did pretty well in his cameo.

Held the ball up, turned well and got us going nicely a few times and generally more dynamic, would like to see more of that.

Would be willing to give him one last chance as long as he shows willing to run himself into the ground for the shirt unlike last season.

RUCK4444

He can be a good squad player for us this season. Hopefully he will put in a fight and use his limited time well. Fired up Martial from the bench is really good to have after all.
TBH if Ole can convince him to be that player for us (like the role Ole had for us) then that might be the best possible role for him and us.

Raven

Mason is miles ahead of him.

That goal, the speed, the shot to the far post....left foot, right foot....that preassist to Pobga for Fred's goal...

Mason will keep both Cavani and Martial on the bench if he keeps playing like this.

I could see Tony leaving in the winter.
Mason was great today, no doubt, but he still hasn't shown the same quality Martial has up front in the past. I think we'll continue to see Greenwood from the right and Tony through the centre (until Rashford's back, at least). If both of them can start the season in form, it's a huge boost from what we had last season where both were poor.

Foxbatt

Mason was great today, no doubt, but he still hasn't shown the same quality Martial has up front in the past. I think we'll continue to see Greenwood from the right and Tony through the centre (until Rashford's back, at least). If both of them can start the season in form, it's a huge boost from what we had last season where both were poor.
I think Ole's cutting answer about Greenwood at CF probably showed what he thought of him as a straight CF.

mu4c_20le

I’ve been very vocal about how bad he was last season, but thought he did pretty well in his cameo.

Held the ball up, turned well and got us going nicely a few times and generally more dynamic, would like to see more of that.

Would be willing to give him one last chance as long as he shows willing to run himself into the ground for the shirt unlike last season.
Yeah he looked motivated. And looking at the pattern if his career, he's due for one of those seasons again.

MadMike

I think we'll see Greenwood rotate between striker, right forward and bench as we have a lot of (quality) players to give minutes to instead of running the same ones to the ground. I still think Greenwoods future is at #9 and some of Ole's comments suggest the same.

However, I also think Tony offers something different to both Greenwood and Cavani. The latter has superlative movement and eye for goal, while the former is clinical shooter with both feet. But neither of them has the hold-up play with his back to the goal, or the close ball control that Martial has. If he finds his 19/20 shooting boots he'll be difficult to dislodge from the top, because he can bring other players into the game more than our other #9s. That's a big if though.

In any case it's nice to have 3 entirely different options to choose from and try out in games when one isn't working.

DickDastardly

Can't say i agree.

Tony wasn't all that even in Monaco, let alone with us.

In 5 seasons here, he's only shown us consistency and quality in one of them.

I do hope he produces some good team football, if we're gonna go all the way we need every single one of our players to bite and grit.

The way he was happy about Masons goal makes me happy, you could see he cares.

So, i'm all for him playing a part.

Raven

I think we'll see Greenwood rotate between striker, right forward and bench as we have a lot of (quality) players to give minutes to instead of running the same ones to the ground. I still think Greenwoods future is at #9 and some of Ole's comments suggest the same.

However, I also think Tony offers something different to both Greenwood and Cavani. The latter has superlative movement and eye for goal, while the former is clinical shooter with both feet. But neither of them has the hold-up play with his back to the goal, or the close ball control that Martial has. If he finds his 19/20 shooting boots he'll be difficult to dislodge from the top, because he can bring other players into the game more than our other #9s. That's a big if though.

In any case it's nice to have 3 entirely different options to choose from and try out in games when one isn't working.
Yeah, I think we'll see lots of rotation this season, we have a lot of quality depth this season. Time will tell if Greenwood's future is up top but I also think he could make the right his own as well, depending on which way he and the squad develop.

You're absolutely right about what Martial offers if he can rediscover his best form, his physicality and technique are quite unique and when he's at his best he can dominate CBs. I reckon he'll get back to that form and like you say, he'll be difficult to dislodge in that case but the competition will be good, keep everyone sharp.

For me, Greenwood has done his best work from the right but has shown glimpses of what he can do up top and certainly gives us a different option from time to time. Over the length of the season, I would imagine the plan is for Martial and Cavani to compete for the CF position mainly.

UnitedRepublic

1st touch recived from Shaw in the middle recives it nicely with a player on his back passes it out to the wing.

2nd touch chests it down to Fred.

3rd touch leeds player on his back we get a throw in.

4th touch Lindelöf clears the ball Martial gets a nice touch to throw of the leeds player and pass it to Sancho.

5th touch Martial missplaces a pass

Thats a summary of Martials game today after watching a replay of the game.

A good cameo couldn’t do more with what he had to work with.

Reactions: berbatrick

Foxbatt

I haven't seen his presser yet, what did he say?
A reporter asked him as to what he was doing in training and as to when he is going to put Mason as the CF. Ole said why do you think I want Mason as a CF? He also said that Edinson is the only true CF he has and he wants all the rest of the strike force to be able to play from any position and Mason does very well when playing from the right. His tone was cutting.

Raven

A reporter asked him as to what he was doing in training and as to when he is going to put Mason as the CF. Ole said why do you think I want Mason as a CF? He also said that Edinson is the only true CF he has and he wants all the rest of the strike force to be able to play from any position and Mason does very well when playing from the right. His tone was cutting.
Just watched the presser there, it seems to me as if he was just saying that Cavani is the only non flexible attacker. He'll see Martial mainly as a CF but will play a few on the left and he'll see Greenwood as a RW but will play a few up top. There's a lot of quality in this frontline, getting Sancho up to speed and Rashford back will make us one of the scariest teams in Europe.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Thought he did fine considering when he came on our entire team had stopped trying to play. Looks like he has put on some muscle too, showed some decent upper-body strength.

Denis79

He'll have competition this season, if Cavani continues like last season and Greenwood plays like he did today. It's going to be tough. Hopefully this spurs him.

Foxbatt

I think Ole is trying to get Greenwood to be his type of player. Who could play anywhere on the front line. If Martial can play thru the centre and on the left he has players who can play on the right and centre too. The flexibility gives him so many options.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I think Ole is trying to get Greenwood to be his type of player. Who could play anywhere on the front line. If Martial can play thru the centre and on the left he has players who can play on the right and centre too. The flexibility gives him so many options.
I've thought that's the plan now for some time - especially now with Sancho.

Imagine Cavani in the middle (for now) then Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho plus the youngsters all swapping positions - how do you plan to mark that?

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Utd have good options off the bench now and will be able to rotate when playing two times a week. I am sure Martial will get plenty of games both as starts and subs. He should be getting at least 20 goals this season. Sancho, Rashford, Cavani and Geenwood should all be getting at least 20 goals a season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Thought he did fine considering when he came on our entire team had stopped trying to play. Looks like he has put on some muscle too, showed some decent upper-body strength.
Yeah definitely, I saw some harsh comments in the match thread about an attempted through ball but I'd rather he try to play someone through, even if the execution isn't there. Also yeah, looked strong as an ox tonight.

Said it before but I'm hoping for a strong season, he's capable of being a really good striker when he's on song and I'm sure he knows better than anyone last season wasn't up to the required standards..

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's using Ashley Young as role model. I believe he can replicate the good seasons he had. Just need to get a bird to fly around OT during the game now.

criticalanalysis

He's using Ashley Young as role model. I believe he can replicate the good seasons he had. Just need to get a bird to fly around OT during the game now.
:lol:

Bald - check
More muscle - check
Wide shoulder running/gait - check

It's uncanny.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Martial is my 3rd choice, I will always start Greenwood and Cavani over Martial. Utd front 4 was pressing Leeds and as a result, we got our 1st goal by pressing. Maybe we are up 5-1 so Martial didn't want to press but again, it is not his DNA to press. Unless they prove me wrong, I will sell him to fund a new striker.

Raven

Martial is my 3rd choice, I will always start Greenwood and Cavani over Martial. Utd front 4 was pressing Leeds and as a result, we got our 1st goal by pressing. Maybe we are up 5-1 so Martial didn't want to press but again, it is not his DNA to press. Unless they prove me wrong, I will sell him to fund a new striker.
Hey Ole, are we getting a DM?

Foxbatt

I've thought that's the plan now for some time - especially now with Sancho.

Imagine Cavani in the middle (for now) then Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho plus the youngsters all swapping positions - how do you plan to mark that?
That seems to be the plan. Plus they are all very quick. Martial holds the ball well too.

lex talionis

I hope Anthony appreciates the situation he now finds himself in, largely of his own making.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We have enough games for him overall but he won't be a starter. Greenwood seems to be in great form and Cavani, once ready, will start many games as well. Maybe we see him more on the left until Rashford returns

Status
Not open for further replies.