4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

He was never rapid to begin with. He just has quick feet with good close control which I believe makes it look like he's rapid similarly when Sancho's on song you see him and you think that he's rapid but really it's the opposite.
Neither are that fast compared to fast wingers. Martial was always about his ball control/dribbling and then having some technique in his finish.

KennyBurner

Better performance from him last night. He just needs a run of games. Sevilla will look a lot better when Lamela and ocampos return.

mctrials23

The best players at beating a man aren't the fastest quite often, they just know how to move the ball. You can see there that Martial has very good close control and when he faces up to a player he has a little burst of speed to put the defender on the back foot and off balance and then he goes past them. When that burst of speed starts, he still has complete control over the ball which is a complete contrast to Rashford who is very much a hit and chase dribbler. Which is why most of the time he doesn't beat his man.

spiriticon

It's a bit messy because we are going to need a striker for next year, but history also says you can't rely on Martial to be the main man either. Well you can, if you don't plan on winning any trophies.

I'd still sell at the end of the season and get a fresh face in.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Fans will always love him wherever he goes, at the beginning. A skillful player when it comes into dribbling in tight spaces. Players who have that ability are always a joy to watch.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Promising performance against Elche. I'm just glad to see him playing again, really.

It's a shame we never got to see him properly with Sancho. I think they'd have linked up well. Unselfish players with good control in tight spaces. Them two along with Pogba could've provided a nice balance to the all action players in Bruno, Rashford, Cavani and Ronaldo who aren't quite as good in tight spaces, and favour getting the ball in the box and shooting at the expense of link-up play.

Valencia Shin Crosses

The best players at beating a man aren't the fastest quite often, they just know how to move the ball. You can see there that Martial has very good close control and when he faces up to a player he has a little burst of speed to put the defender on the back foot and off balance and then he goes past them. When that burst of speed starts, he still has complete control over the ball which is a complete contrast to Rashford who is very much a hit and chase dribbler. Which is why most of the time he doesn't beat his man.
Yeah Rashford used to beat his man (key word used to) with pure pace or occasional trickery and pace. Martial could do it more consistently because he excels at running with the ball with pace meaning he puts defenders on their heels running at them and forces them to either dive in or risk him blowing by them.

mctrials23

Yeah Rashford used to beat his man (key word used to) with pure pace or occasional trickery and pace. Martial could do it more consistently because he excels at running with the ball with pace meaning he puts defenders on their heels running at them and forces them to either dive in or risk him blowing by them.
Vaguely similar style to Grealish. I used to play hockey with a lad who just went past players without much speed or obvious skill but he just moved the ball into the right places at the right time to make it almost impossible to tackle him without it being a foul. Martial is a bit like that.

There have always been questions about Rashfords actual technique in a lot of areas whereas Martials issues seem to be mainly attitude and application of his skills. Unfortunately, both are very hard to fix.

UncleBob

Best case scenario is that he performs well for Sevilla and we get a decent fee for him during the summer. Worst case scenario we're stuck with him, something both parties seem less than interested in.

Gordon Godot

Best case scenario is that he performs well for Sevilla and we get a decent fee for him during the summer. Worst case scenario we're stuck with him, something both parties seem less than interested in.
Yes it has to be that he goes. He is never, ever going to do it here. THree managerst that didnt fancy him, only that football genius Joel Glazer appreciated his real ability. Get rid asap.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just watched him for 20 odd minutes against Espanyol and he looks clueless regards where to be on the pitch, especially when defending. He really looks as lethargic as ever. He's now gone off injured... Didn't see what happened.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Shouldn't have loaned him especially after the MG incident. We needed more options upfront. Now we're relying on Ronaldo to play every game

Yagami

Good post resistant
Shouldn't have loaned him especially after the MG incident. We needed more options upfront. Now we're relying on Ronaldo to play every game
It was daft, imo.

I'm not against letting him go anymore, but January wasn't the time to do it. Especially when the club knew they weren't bringing anyone in.

Red_toad

Please stop changing history. He'd left before the Greenwood incident, not after.

CloneMC16

Please stop changing history. He'd left before the Greenwood incident, not after.
I'm baffled as to why people keep saying it. The Greenwood stuff came out a day before the window closed. Martial had already left. Letting him leave at the time was a fine decision.

Red_toad

Window was still open, we could've cancelled the loan.
I'd suggest you look up the terms of the loan, if there's no recall clause in there, then no we couldn't. But with your hindsight ability, I'm sure you'd have put in said clause.

flappyjay

I'd suggest you look up the terms of the loan, if there's no recall clause in there, then no we couldn't. But with your hindsight ability, I'm sure you'd have put in said clause.
It also would be weird to put a call back clause on a January loan. Outside of January any call back for a player over the age of 21 would be pointless as they would be unregistered for the PL. No one could have seen the Greenwood situation happening.

GMoore23

I've really turned against Martial over the past couple of seasons but nonetheless, it really was a crazy decision to loan him out after the whole Greenwood debacle and with Cavani doing his Schweinsteiger impersonation.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Ok pal calm down, you're very upset.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I've really turned against Martial over the past couple of seasons but nonetheless, it really was a crazy decision to loan him out after the whole Greenwood debacle and with Cavani doing his Schweinsteiger impersonation.

Shhh don't say anything about this, it makes @Red_toad really upset :(

jesperjaap

Completely agree. No doubt he has bags of ability but there is no way we should be relying on Martial to come and fill potenetially a Cavani/Greenwood/Ronaldo void, especially with Rashford performances too.

Hope he does well so we can get a good fee for him but he has had more than enough chances here

Yagami

Good post resistant
Either way, Greenwood or not, he should've stayed for depth. His ability to hold onto the ball under pressure is probably the best out of our attackers, and he's selfless in his play, which may have produced something resembling football with Sancho.

Glorio

Lost the ball a few times and generally looked disinterested.
So typical Martial then? Not sure how we amassed so many with dodgy mentalities.

Wonder if he's sulking because they've basically said they won't make switch permanent.

SAF is the GOAT

This guy looks so disinterested, Does he even want to continue to play football ? and in a professional way ?

Because If not - He could go to Sunday leagues and play without pressure and do it for fun.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ian Darke said on the commentary that Sevilla have already decided not to make the transfer permanent.
I'm pretty sure that they said that when the loan was concluded. They never had any intention to sign him permanently.

kthanksbye

Ian Darke said on the commentary that Sevilla have already decided not to make the transfer permanent.
Don't know what they were thinking in the first place, the guy has looked disinterested playing under 4 managers, he's played next to players like Rooney and Ibra, technical players like Mikhi and Mata and has rarely found the motivation to give a shit. If I was a Sevilla fan, I'd be very annoyed by the move in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.