4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BorisManUtd

It's amazing how bad he has been these last 2 seasons after that great 2019/20 season, especially 2nd part of it. He'll probably get next season as last chance and I hope it's similar case with Rashford, too.

crossy1686

career ending
The balancing act Martial will have to perfect, if he hasn’t done so already, is performing in a manner that makes it appear as though he gives a shit…without actually actually giving a shit.
Massive ask for this lad, he looks like he’s given up on life in general and football is some sort of punishment for him.

crossy1686

career ending
It's amazing how bad he has been these last 2 seasons after that great 2019/20 season, especially 2nd part of it. He'll probably get next season as last chance and I hope it's similar case with Rashford, too.
Really, his only stand out season was when we all played behind closed doors during covid.

Tavern in the town

I think he’s absolute shite and we should get rid but it’s mental how much he’s changed since his first season. He was an elite dribbler, he was basically our Hazard in his first season. Our entire attacking plan was “give it to Martial”, now I can’t even remember the last time I saw him beat a man.

crossy1686

career ending
I think he’s absolute shite and we should get rid but it’s mental how much he’s changed since his first season. He was an elite dribbler, he was basically our Hazard in his first season. Our entire attacking plan was “give it to Martial”, now I can’t even remember the last time I saw him beat a man.
Baffling isn’t it? Probably the biggest example of talent only gets you so far

ThanksBoss26

Can't be ruled out but I really hope not. Hopefully we get a taker for him.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I can't see anyone being particularly interested in investing in Martial this summer. Loan would likely be the best bet.

My general feeling though is he'll stick around and Hag will try to get a tune out of him. Wouldn't surprise me if Hag does.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Sometimes I think back to some of his great performances, like away to City a couple years ago where I thought City really struggled with him and we won the game quite comfortably and I want him to stay, but then reality hits and I realise he has just been so underwhelming, and lazy.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I can't see anyone being particularly interested in investing in Martial this summer. Loan would likely be the best bet.

My general feeling though is he'll stick around and Hag will try to get a tune out of him. Wouldn't surprise me if Hag does.
A fish has more backbone than Martial. If a 30m offer comes in the club should bite their hand off and take it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
A fish has more backbone than Martial. If a 30m offer comes in the club should bite their hand off and take it.
A 30 million offer isn't coming in. I'll be surprised if any offer comes in after his poor showing for Sevilla.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
He usually has one good season, followed by 2 shite seasons, followed then by a good one.

He's had two shit ones in a row so maybe this year...

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Increasingly looking like we're going to need to make some use of him next season. Can't really recall any times where a player who has sunk so low has managed to revive their career, certainly not at the same club. Ten Hag will need to work miracles, but who knows.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Increasingly looking like we're going to need to make some use of him next season. Can't really recall any times where a player who has sunk so low has managed to revive their career, certainly not at the same club. Ten Hag will need to work miracles, but who knows.
Ten Hag demands work rate on the field. Either Martial gets with the programme or his stint at United will be over.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They're saying this is how the talk between Ten Bags and Martial went down

Kag

I don’t mind this, to be honest. I still think he’s a better player than Rashford and a lot more likely to fit into the type of team I expect Ten Hag to try and create.

Ronaldo will be first choice next season and we can do a lot worse than Martial when it comes to backing him up.

Kag

Not if it's the same Martial from the last two seasons.
Hopefully Ten Hag can get something out of him then. I don’t think we can afford to sort the rest of the team while also bringing in a new striker to the tune of £60 odd million.

DWelbz19

Hopefully Ten Hag can get something out of him then. I don’t think we can afford to sort the rest of the team while also bringing in a new striker to the tune of £60 odd million.
I think a lot of people are forgetting that a manager first and foremost has to improve what he has available to him. Don’t get me wrong, this squad needs injecting with fresh blood in various positions, but Mourinho/Rangnick PTSD has a lot of people writing off the entire team.

I don’t necessarily think Martial is one of those who will be retained, but the above absolutely will apply to the likes of Rashford et al.

Last edited:

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
If Ten Hag manages to get some sort of productivity out of Martial next season (like 5-10 goals) then he should be sold immediately after to the first club that puts an offer in, he has a track record of downing tools and has been shite more often than not in his career - unfortunately I didn't think he has it in him to score 5 goals.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If Ten Hag manages to get some sort of productivity out of Martial next season (like 5-10 goals) then he should be sold immediately after to the first club that puts an offer in, he has a track record of downing tools and has been shite more often than not in his career - unfortunately I didn't think he has it in him to score 5 goals.
I wouldn't say that he has a track record of downing tools when he is one of the few player that has actually competed for a place more than once. But I agree with the first point, if he gets back on track you sell him for as much as you can.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Giving Martial yet another chance :houllier:

Feels like Groundhog Day in here sometimes

JPRouve

Scout

He is under contract, is there a point in cutting our own finger? Unless we receive a good offer there is no point not using him.

Big Ben Foster

Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He is under contract, is there a point in cutting our own finger? Unless we receive a good offer there is no point not using him.
At this point, just having him around would be bad for the dressing room. Pay off his contract and move on.

Lebo

I’m one of his biggest fans but I can’t see him reviving his career here. Selling him will be my first choice. If we can’t, then loan him to an Italian club until January and sell, if that’s not possible then make him run all day until he gain Fred like fitness. Boy is too unfit for EPL football let alone man United .

We can’t be having players who can’t run with intensity for 90minutes once a week.

Kag

What’s the alternative at this point?

I can’t see a single argument to the tune of Martial is amazing; let’s keep him no matter what as is implied.

The reality is that the only strikers at the club are Ronaldo, who is 37, and Rashford, who isn’t really a striker. Martial, whether you like him or not, is still a player on our books who does, in spite of how bad things have been recently, have enough about him to come in and do some kind of job.

If Harry Kane or Haaland were on their way into the club then by all means send him on his way, but that isn’t happening. I think Ten Hag is going to have to try and make this work.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I wouldn't say that he has a track record of downing tools when he is one of the few player that has actually competed for a place more than once. But I agree with the first point, if he gets back on track you sell him for as much as you can.
Agree to disagree on the downed tools part, the guy gave up when Zlatan came in, gave up on Mou (along with everyone else tbf) sulked again when Cavani came in, then didn't even want to see how Ralf would do before scurrying off to Sevilla.

That to me is a long history of downing tools.

TuzlaUnited

What’s the alternative at this point?

I can’t see a single argument to the tune of Martial is amazing; let’s keep him no matter what as is implied.

The reality is that the only strikers at the club are Ronaldo, who is 37, and Rashford, who isn’t really a striker. Martial, whether you like him or not, is still a player on our books who does, in spite of how bad things have been recently, have enough about him to come in and do some kind of job.

If Harry Kane or Haaland were on their way into the club then by all means send him on his way, but that isn’t happening. I think Ten Hag is going to have to try and make this work.
Buy new striker and sell Martial.It is simple.

JPRouve

Scout
Agree to disagree on the downed tools part, the guy gave up when Zlatan came in, gave up on Mou (along with everyone else tbf) sulked again when Cavani came in, then didn't even want to see how Ralf would do before scurrying off to Sevilla.

That to me is a long history of downing tools.
None of that happened outside of him wanting out this year.

In 2016-2017, Mourinho changed his role both Martial and Rashford competed for the same spot and both beat each others at various time of the season. In 2017-18 he starts as a bench player performs well and gains a starting role then Mourinho brings Sanchez and use him in the role that Martial earned while moving Martial to the right where he doesn't perform as well and then sustain an injury in March. In 2018-2019, Martial is one of our best performers alongside Shaw and Pogba which is ironic since these are the players that Mourinho used to target and the only ones that performed well for him that season. Regarding the Cavani signing and Martial sulking that's just made up. And he did want to leave by the time Rangnick was appointed.

dutchred

I think he might surprise us next season. He is obviously talented. Maybe Erik can motivate him

Status
Not open for further replies.