4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trex

He was great under our last Dutch manager, I always felt possession football suit him better, but he'll have to seriously up his work rate.

SAF is the GOAT

The problem with isn't only the form(which is major by the way...) but his injuries he's getting... he's too injury prone and we can't count on him for a whole season.

Edwards6

Looks like we're stuck with him unfortunately, can't see anyone wanting to buy him with the wages he's on he'll just stay and run his contract down

El Jefe

He's basically Gareth Bale now with the key difference being his talent is being far lower. Martial can't be fecked with football anymore and once you've been out of it as long as he has there's no chance of getting back to a decent level.

Bale at least kept himself motivated with international football, Martial has been a basket case for two years now.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
He was great under our last Dutch manager, I always felt possession football suit him better, but he'll have to seriously up his work rate.
This is a great point. He did great under LVG. Though the first task is a come to Jesus talk with ETH. Probably selling myself on a pipe dream here :lol:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Injuries are his biggest issue. He's far too unreliable. If he improved that then he could still be useful considering the 5 subs rule and Europa games we'll have.

Kag

Buy new striker and sell Martial.It is simple.
Except it isn’t, is it? Martial is on huge wages and strikers like Nunez, who in spite of being shiny and new aren’t exactly a sure thing, are going for the best part of £70 million. The likes of Richarlison are being floated for around £60 million, and he has scored a similar number of Premier League goals as Martial over a similar period of time.

So, yeah, it isn’t simple at all.

Cafer007

This is the world cup year means players give their best so we could see if he can improve this season. Same applies to Shaw/Maguire/Rashford/Sancho.

We played our best football with Martial-Bruno-Rashford-Pogba as front 4, so talent is still there.

Redcy

This is the world cup year means players give their best so we could see if he can improve this season. Same applies to Shaw/Maguire/Rashford/Sancho.

We played our best football with Martial-Bruno-Rashford-Pogba as front 4, so talent is still there.
That level of effort hasnt been there in two years, people keep on saying he will come good, I remember it being trotted out this time last year. I remember being told we will see a new Martial when he goes abroad to a different league and he can prove himself. At no point as Martial looked like the player he was two years ago. Whatever the issue is it has never been about talent, its all about desire and work ethic.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

He doesnt even give a damn about his career and livelihood and you think he'd care about world cup?

Redcy

What’s the alternative at this point?

I can’t see a single argument to the tune of Martial is amazing; let’s keep him no matter what as is implied.

The reality is that the only strikers at the club are Ronaldo, who is 37, and Rashford, who isn’t really a striker. Martial, whether you like him or not, is still a player on our books who does, in spite of how bad things have been recently, have enough about him to come in and do some kind of job.

If Harry Kane or Haaland were on their way into the club then by all means send him on his way, but that isn’t happening. I think Ten Hag is going to have to try and make this work.
What on earth about his last two years makes you think he can come in and "do a job". What job exactly? I think its more likely Ten Hag would play Sancho down the middle with Elanga out wide, or even Bruno than rely upon Martial.

ti vu

That part is a myth. Players may be reluctant to a big move before World Cup, but they don't necessarily give their best for the club. Unless it's a big stake like CL games, the players are more risk averse. They would be more cautious about small injuries, rather pushing to play every games by playing with small injuries.

Before the last World Cup, all Shaw and Martial had a meh season in term of effort. Pogba was in and out of the team with injuries and other issues.

Martial best football and most productive period came after the restart.
Intensity was at lower level because training regime for all team was negatively affected. Individual talent especially dribbling gained an edge during this period.Team relies on high intensity and teamwork like Man City and Liverpool came back worse after the restart. Someone like Kane who was injured before the COVID break, then not be able to access to normal training, was unfit after the restart.

Low intensity football from both teams suits Martial. It gave him an edge that time.

Then there is this reality that France have a great pool of attackers for selection. Martial is now way down the list with Benzema coming back. For a more winger type, Coman, Dembele, Diaby are better options. Supporting forwards they now have Griezmann, NKunku. Giroud and Ben Yedder back up and alternative to Benzema for CF position. Mbappe is Mbappe. He's the ace in that team. Be it 2 or 3 upfront, he would get his name in. By now, France pretty established the core players as well as the B list. So for Martial to get back in there in in few month time, it would require he to somehow play in Ballon d'Or form as well as injuries to some of the core players. With ETH coming in as new manager, Martial is fighting the uphill battle to earn game time to begin with. So effort alone wouldn't matter much. That playing in this World Cup ambition is highly likely way way out of his hand now.

Last edited:

El__Jingo

on paper our second most talented forward behind Ronaldo, hopefully ETH can have a word with him as i'm sure he could have him / Sancho pulling strings behind Ronaldo.

all depends on the player as i'm sure any manager can see the talent Martial possesses. if Rashford's going to get a chance to succeed its ridiculous to think Martial wouldn't considering the amount paid for him. i don't blame martial for wanting out of a club where the fan base are weirdly biased towards underperforming academy players. id love to see martial return to form he's too good of a player not to .

TuzlaUnited

Except it isn’t, is it? Martial is on huge wages and strikers like Nunez, who in spite of being shiny and new aren’t exactly a sure thing, are going for the best part of £70 million. The likes of Richarlison are being floated for around £60 million, and he has scored a similar number of Premier League goals as Martial over a similar period of time.

So, yeah, it isn’t simple at all.
It is simple.Spend or get fecked.

Trex

This is a great point. He did great under LVG. Though the first task is a come to Jesus talk with ETH. Probably selling myself on a pipe dream here :lol:
Yes I know, but if he gets going he is one of a few who is suited to the short passing link up game.
I feel ETH would fancy him but he would have to show commitment and I'm not sure he wants to be here any longer.

Glorio

The EPL truly wasn't ready for bald Martial. Incidentally, neither were we :nervous:

pascell

I see Martial FC is rearing its head again after a 6 month hiatus.

Even if its on a free, he needs to be sold, his attitude and work rate is horrendous and it isn't going to change just because ten Hag became manager.

Kag

What on earth about his last two years makes you think he can come in and "do a job". What job exactly? I think its more likely Ten Hag would play Sancho down the middle with Elanga out wide, or even Bruno than rely upon Martial.
The job of deputising for Ronaldo and maybe scoring a few goals. Hardly a ludicrous suggestion in the event he stays fit (the bigger issue).

It is simple.Spend or get fecked.
The club has neither the ability, balls or cash flow to be able to do what you can probably want it to do. Accept it. I already have, hence I’m resigning myself to the prospect of trying to get a tune out of Martial again.

crossy1686

career ending

The World Cup year started last January and all our players have played themselves out of contention. A good 3 months now won't get them in the national team's and they know it.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
I see Martial FC is rearing its head again after a 6 month hiatus.

Even if its on a free, he needs to be sold, his attitude and work rate is horrendous and it isn't going to change just because ten Hag became manager.
The two things you mentioned, have been a problem for a lot players on the team.

People seem willing to give Rashford (albeit reluctantly) another chance, why not Martial? Most of the team need to up their work rate, not just him.

We need a striker to back up Ronaldo, the budget is limited, the market is bare and we have other priorities in the first 11.

Whatever ETH chooses, we'll back and I suspect that means treating most of these players like the prodigal son.

VivaRonaldo85

One can hope. He does not have the mentality for top football and needs to leave. People need to stop dreaming and hoping
The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for the same result.

OmarUnited4ever

It was a HUGE mistake to award him & Rashford a 200K contract! I mean established players who performed weekly for years get that kind of salary, yet, Martial & Rashford got such a salary at the age of 23 and 22, as young and upcoming players who are not the finished article, while Mane & Salah got 100k only when they joined Liverpool at the age of 24, and only get between 200k-250k in the recent years after success in CL & PL, being top goal scorers, being awarded best players and so on, even others like Kane and Son earn 200k only and probably less for Son.

We repeated the mistake with Sancho, based on the reports, he is earning 250K now, as a 21 year old!! I know he was earning big with BVB, but still, he is only 21/22.

crossy1686

career ending
The two things you mentioned, have been a problem for a lot players on the team.

People seem willing to give Rashford (albeit reluctantly) another chance, why not Martial? Most of the team need to up their work rate, not just him.

We need a striker to back up Ronaldo, the budget is limited, the market is bare and we have other priorities in the first 11.

Whatever ETH chooses, we'll back and I suspect that means treating most of these players like the prodigal son.
Well the main difference in those two is that one actively wants to leave and one is willing to stay and at least give it a shot.

Idxomer

It would be a miracle if he came to any kind of form and became useful after the last two years.

Gambling on that would be suicidal for Ten Hag and that's why he and the club were ready to pay 70m for Nunez.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What’s the alternative at this point?

I can’t see a single argument to the tune of Martial is amazing; let’s keep him no matter what as is implied.

The reality is that the only strikers at the club are Ronaldo, who is 37, and Rashford, who isn’t really a striker. Martial, whether you like him or not, is still a player on our books who does, in spite of how bad things have been recently, have enough about him to come in and do some kind of job.

If Harry Kane or Haaland were on their way into the club then by all means send him on his way, but that isn’t happening. I think Ten Hag is going to have to try and make this work.
Good post, looks like few have lost sense of reality and takes default position of selling everyone "he is a disgrace, want him sold" "should replace everyone except 2 players" as if it's going to happen, it's hard enough to pull it off on FM, forget real life.

Martial was poor for last couple of seasons, so ideally he should be sold but we don't have any CF apart from Ronaldo, our attackers are Ronaldo, Rashford, Sancho and then bunch of youngsters like Elanga, Amad. Even if we sign Antony we are still short on numbers.

Unless we sign at least 2-3 attackers, I don't see any attacker being sold.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Being too shit to be moved on is hardly the same as getting another chance
Pretty much. Unless we have a very cheap alternative, is it a good idea to hurt our depth and pocket just to spite a player? If Martial was a bad egg and negative influence I could get it but by all account he has as much personality as dry bread.

Smores

Pretty much. Unless we have a very cheap alternative, is it a good idea to hurt our depth and pocket just to spite a player? If Martial was a bad egg and negative influence I could get it but by all account he has as much personality as dry bread.
Keeping unmotivated sulky players isn't the way to build a dressing room. Especially when he's being paid more than many of the ones who do try.

As if the only reason to get rid is to spite him. Martial FC dipping their toes in the water again, going to be terrible when he has a half decent game and he's 'back'.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Keeping unmotivated sulky players isn't the way to build a dressing room. Especially when he's being paid more than many of the ones who do try.

As if the only reason to get rid is to spite him. Martial FC dipping their toes in the water again, going to be terrible when he has a half decent game and he's 'back'.
He would have to be unmotivated and sulky. And this has nothing to do with Martial FC which is a fairly childish point, it's about Manchester United, I have been in the sell Martial camp for years simply because at the time I thought that he wasn't a good fit anymore and he barely improved but that sale can't happen in spite of United interest, my wishes or opinions as an outsider do not go above Manchester United.

So Martial should leave but only when it suits United best, not before.

Oranges038

He wasn’t mediocre, he was shocking. A Sevilla newspaper described him as a ‘Fiasco’
Fiasco would be a one way of describing it.

Watched a few of their games.

He was atrocious every time I saw him. Barely runs, barely moves, just walks or stands around waiting for the ball.

No way should he be kept. It's about setting standards and every one should see that if you don't meet those you are out, regardless of reputation or pay, or whether or not the next manager might get a tune of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.