g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Anthony Martial image 9

Anthony Martial France flag

2021-22 Performances

View full 2021-22 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ash_86

He's an idiot. With every striker in poor form the door into the team is wide open but he went and gave the new manager a bad impression from day one. He didn't even take a wait and see approach.
Yup. Usually it's a clean slate when a new manager comes in. Doesn't help when agent and player comes wanting out, first week of new manager.

Greck

Yup. Usually it's a clean slate when a new manager comes in. Doesn't help when agent and player comes wanting out, first week of new manager.
Way to shoot one's self in the foot. Sometimes I wonder for the kid, maybe isn't the brightest in everyday life, agent should have adviced him the timing was awkward but was more focused on his share of the signing bonus.

KeanoMagicHat

I reckon he's given up. Its strange but he was our best performer when the cards were down in his debut season. I think we needed a win at West Ham in the final league game at their old stadium to qualify for CL. The team bus was attacked prior to the game and he scored a brace at a very hostile away ground to almost single handedly drag us there but the game ended a 2-2 draw. Now a days he barely has the bottle to fight for his place.
He was also really good in the pandemic affected season 19/20, I really liked what I saw, such a good dribbler for a forward and offered a unique challenge for defenders. There's no coincidence we won so many penalties when he was playing, he directly ran at defenders in a way that Cavani and Ronaldo can't any more. Then he had that bad season last year and lost his confidence in front of goal, even if his general play was alright. But that 19/20 season as a striker was arguably the best full United league season from a striker since Van Persie. It's a shame what's happened since.

crossy1686

career ending
He's an idiot. With every striker in poor form the door into the team is wide open but he went and gave the new manager a bad impression from day one. He didn't even take a wait and see approach.
It just shows his character and attitude for what they are. He’s only happy if there’s no competition for places and he’s guaranteed a start no matter how he trains or what his form is like.

ash_86

Way to shoot one's self in the foot. Sometimes I wonder for the kid, maybe isn't the brightest in everyday life, agent should have adviced him the timing was awkward but was more focused on his share of the signing bonus.
Agent knows what he's doing. Agent is the only one who's benefiting right now. No club is going to pay 250k a week as well as a loan fee.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Have people considered that things aren't as simple as they want them to be? I wouldn't be surprised if the players, Martial included want how of the club due to a lack of trust and broken promises. It's easy to tell someone to have a wait and see approach when it doesn't concern you or when you don't have past experience with the people you are supposed to give the benefit of doubts.

ash_86

The best part is his base, without add-ons, is £150k a week and no club is willing to meet that either.
I think 150k is still out of reach for many clubs. Top players in clubs outside top 4 probably receive that wage and rest nowhere close. Shows how much we are paying to the players who aren't even setting the world alight.

crossy1686

career ending
Have people considered that things aren't as simple as they want them to be? I wouldn't be surprised if the players, Martial included want how of the club due to a lack of trust and broken promises. It's easy to tell someone to have a wait and see approach when it doesn't concern you or when you don't have past experience with the people you are supposed to give the benefit of doubts.
There is a chance he, along with others, have been made promises that United would compete and better players would be brought in etc, but when it comes down to it, he signed a big contract to PLAY for United for 5 years, not 3 then leave.

If he wants to win things, then play well. A manager isn’t dropping him if he’s the best trainer or best striker at the club, or even second or third best, he would play a lot at a top club and you can’t ask for more than that.

He literally holds all the keys to his own success.

Greck

The point of giving the benefit of the doubt is precisely because of no past experience as you equally have no past experience of broken promises with the person. To an extent I get not wanting to compete with Ronaldo in a world cup year. it's a lost cause to be behind him. After weeks of poor play we can't even get fans to see he (ronaldo) shouldn't be starting every game. Still he should have waited, things have actually fallen into place to get back in the team but he went and asked out and can't take advantage.

romufc

We never learn, do we?
We are a scared football club. A player has a purple patch, agent makes rumours about PSG, Real and the club buckle.

We are the worst negotiators in football.
If they want to leave let them go.

JPRouve

Scout
There is a chance he, along with others, have been made promises that United would compete and better players would be brought in etc, but when it comes down to it, he signed a big contract to PLAY for United for 5 years, not 3 then leave.

If he wants to win things, then play well. A manager isn’t dropping him if he’s the best trainer or best striker at the club, or even second or third best, he would play a lot at a top club and you can’t ask for more than that.

He literally holds all the keys to his own success.
Managers will absolutely not pick you, it happens all the time. It's not as if we haven't had rumours about players being unhappy that it wasn't the best trainers that were selected for games, a some players can clearly put terrible string of performances together without any reduction of their game time.

JPRouve

Scout
The point of giving the benefit of the doubt is precisely because of no past experience as you equally have no past experience of broken promises with the person. To an extent I get not wanting to compete with Ronaldo in a world cup year. it's a lost cause to be behind him. After weeks of poor play we can't even get fans to see he (ronaldo) shouldn't be starting every game. Still he should have waited, things have actually fallen into place to get back in the team but he went and asked out and can't take advantage.
It's the same club, he can be fed up with the club. The same way you can be fed up with a company even when your direct superior change.

ash_86

We are a scared football club. A player has a purple patch, agent makes rumours about PSG, Real and the club buckle.

Also, who waits to offer a new deal till the last year ? Why can't we put them on the market if they don't take the deal before last 18 months ?

Something is seriously not right.

Greck

It's the same club, he can be fed up with the club. The same way you can be fed up with a company even when your direct superior change.
I think he should have waited but yes I'm definitely not on board these empty platitudes being spammed on this page. The striker situation at the club is most definitely not ideal. It's one of the worst positions for merit right now. Preferential treatment at the position is out of hand. I just think he made a bad business decision not the avalanche of hate about his values and internal belief system.

romufc

Also, who waits to offer a new deal till the last year ? Why can't we put them on the market if they don't take the deal before last 18 months ?

Something is seriously not right.
Well thats how you think a proper football club is run, heck even a proper business right? Protect your assets.

Every player that has signed a contract extension has been paid 50k more than their worth as a minimum.

Shaw is 200k
Henderson is like 100k
Martial 250k
DDG 375k
I can go on and on but as a club we never learn

Liverpool have a title and CL and their highest earning player is 250k who is our reserves player in Martial.

Those are the levels. We get scared of rumours and agents making stuff up. I would love to play poker with whoever sets these deals up.

JPRouve

Scout
I think he should have waited but yes I'm definitely not on board these empty platitudes being spammed on this page. The striker situation at the club is most definitely not ideal. It's one of the worst positions for merit right now. Preferential treatment at the position is out of hand. Jeez I didn't know it was going to kick off a hate bandwagon.
I know what you think, my point is that what you think is from a detached position, while I can't tell you that you are wrong because you are not, I can add an other angle which is that we have had rumours about other players being pissed off due to promises regarding their place in the team and if you look back it has been a thing since LVG with RVP(?). Some players that have seen it for years could rightfully consider that they have no reason to trust anyone including the new guy.

Jericho

He’s ultimately responsible for himself, but we have kind of fecked him up tbh. He was a raw talent with loads of potential when we got him, and his best position wasn’t clear yet. Roll on nearly 7 years and he hasn’t improved at all. He needed structure, leaders and good management around him to help shape him into the player he could have been. Same for Rashford I think.

Greck

I know what you think, my point is that what you think is from a detached position, while I can't tell you that you are wrong because you are not, I can add an other angle which is that we have had rumours about other players being pissed off due to promises regarding their place in the team and if you look back it has been a thing since LVG with RVP(?). Some players that have seen it for years could rightfully consider that they have no reason to trust anyone including the new guy.
No, please use the edited post. I think that described what I meant better. I sympathise but still think he made the wrong decision or perhaps the right decision at the wrong time. If he wanted to leave he should have waited to see then done it at the end of the season. No one wins the way he did it.

El-Manos

He would be starting if it wasn’t for his transfer request; considering how poor rashford & greenwood have been recently.

Quinzaine

It's scary watching this and coming to the realisation that this version of Martial was better than any attacker we have at the club right now. And I don't mean form wise either, 29 goals and assists in THAT Van Gaal side is frightening. The fact that Greenwood & Sancho in terms of market value are worth around £80m today has me in deep thought. As much as Martial's application and attitude can be questions, from a business point of view we did an awful job of protecting his value as an asset, we're talking about a potential £130m+ player (please consider Lukaku went for £100m in this market) who is going to leave on loan.

Anthony Martial is genuinely the indictment of the club - piss poor nutrition/fitness regimes which have left Martial and alot of our other attackers too bulky and stiff, no sports psychologists to help the players mentally in tough situations where they may be benched, instead of showing our most talented players that we want them to stay by bringing in coach(es) that complement the players skillsets and building teams around them we throw hundreds of thousands of pounds at them a week out of desperation.

Look at how Real Madrid have handled Vinicius Jr's development. Nowhere near the player Martial was at 19 but they saw talent there and persisted with him. Let him play throughout the ages of 19-21 despite being extremely raw and frustrating. They trusted the talent and also respected their own investment by persisting with him and now they have a seriously good player on their hands. Compare that to how we've been pushing Martial (and Rashford) aside for players like Zlatan, Sanchez, Ronaldo & Cavani and it's damning. We are a footballing institution worth $4 billion who for the last 5-6 years have had no plan of action for our young talents, we dont coach them to master a specific position or role, we dont take care of their careers and we hardly ever make decisions with the medium to long term in mind. I really fear for our young players and it's sad to say but if I was a football agent who had my players' best interests at heart I'd keep them as far away from here as possible

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses

It's scary watching this and coming to the realisation that this version of Martial was better than any attacker we have at the club right now. And I don't mean form wise either, 29 goals and assists in THAT Van Gaal side is frightening. The fact that Greenwood & Sancho in terms of market value are worth around £80m today has me in deep thought. As much as Martial's application and attitude can be questions, from a business point of view we did an awful job of protecting his value as an asset, we're talking about a potential £130m+ player (please consider Lukaku went for £100m in this market) who is going to leave on loan.

Anthony Martial is genuinely the indictment of the club - piss poor nutrition/fitness regimes which have left Martial and alot of our other attackers too bulky and stiff, no sports psychologists to help the players mentally in tough situations where they may be benched, instead of showing our most talented players that we want them to stay by bringing in coach(es) that complement the players skillsets and building teams around them we throw hundreds of thousands of pounds at them a week out of desperation.

Look at how Real Madrid have handled Vinicius Jr's development. Nowhere near the player Martial was at 19 but they saw talent there and persisted with him. Let him play throughout the ages of 19-21 despite being extremely raw and frustrating. They trusted the talent and also respected their own investment by persisting with him and now they have a seriously good player on their hands. Compare that to how we've been pushing Martial (and Rashford) aside for players like Zlatan, Sanchez, Ronaldo & Cavani and it's damning. We are a footballing institution worth $4 billion who for the last 5-6 years have had no plan of action for our young talents, we dont coach them to master a specific position or role, we dont take care of their careers and we hardly ever make decisions with the medium to long term in mind. I really fear for our young players and it's sad to say but if I was a football agent who had my players' best interests at heart I'd keep my players as far away from here as possible
I agree with every word. When Martial was on form he was ON FORM. Its really disappointing more than anything.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
He was also really good in the pandemic affected season 19/20, I really liked what I saw, such a good dribbler for a forward and offered a unique challenge for defenders. There's no coincidence we won so many penalties when he was playing, he directly ran at defenders in a way that Cavani and Ronaldo can't any more. Then he had that bad season last year and lost his confidence in front of goal, even if his general play was alright. But that 19/20 season as a striker was arguably the best full United league season from a striker since Van Persie. It's a shame what's happened since.
This is what saddens me the most. That season he showed he had all the tools to be a top draw centre forward. Great with his back to goal and bringing Rashford/ Greenwood in to the game. Could pick up the ball and drive at defenders with power and great close control. His much maligned movement off the ball looked to be improving and he started scoring some of the scruffier, poacher type goals too. I recall RVP absolutely gushing about him in his analysis on BT Sport. It made what followed the season after all the more surprising.

He's our least selfish attacker and the only one we have, who on form, has the ability to link the play, bring other forwards in to the game and buy cheap free kicks to relieve pressure. The lack of combination play between out forwards and their complete inability to trap the ball under pressure and get us up the pitch is quite alarming.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
This is what saddens me the most. That season he showed he had all the tools to be a top draw centre forward. Great with his back to goal and bringing Rashford/ Greenwood in to the game. Could pick up the ball and drive at defenders with power and great close control. His much maligned movement off the ball looked to be improving and he started scoring some of the scruffier, poacher type goals too. I recall RVP absolutely gushing about him in his analysis on BT Sport. It made what followed the season after all the more surprising.

He's our least selfish attacker and the only one we have, who on form, has the ability to link the play and bring other forwards in to the game. The lack of combination play between out forwards right now is quite alarming.
If that isn't like being called the tallest midget I don't know what is :lol:

JPRouve

Scout

He's our least selfish attacker and the only one we have, who on form, has the ability to link the play and bring other forwards in to the game. The lack of combination play between out forwards right now is quite alarming.
Outside of finishing I think that his general play was good for the most part during the following season. And I'm pretty sure that he still is our best attacker when it comes link up play.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
If that isn't like being called the tallest midget I don't know what is :lol:
:lol: Very true. I do think profile wise he is a different type of player to the other forwards we have on our books. Which is what I wanted to highlight. Definitely utlized his team mates more in and around the box, with give and go's, rather than just trying to find a yard to manufacture a shot.

Outside of finishing I think that his general play was good for the most part during the following season. And I'm pretty sure that he still is our best attacker when it comes link up play.
I agree. His finishing was poor and I think that loss of confidence really affected his dribbling too. But his hold play was still solid. He was brilliant against City at the Etihad in that respect. Comfortably better than all our forwards with his back to goal.

He'sRaldo

Look at how Real Madrid have handled Vinicius Jr's development. Nowhere near the player Martial was at 19 but they saw talent there and persisted with him. Let him play throughout the ages of 19-21 despite being extremely raw and frustrating. They trusted the talent and also respected their own investment by persisting with him and now they have a seriously good player on their hands. Compare that to how we've been pushing Martial (and Rashford) aside for players like Zlatan, Sanchez, Ronaldo & Cavani and it's damning. We are a footballing institution worth $4 billion who for the last 5-6 years have had no plan of action for our young talents, we dont coach them to master a specific position or role, we dont take care of their careers and we hardly ever make decisions with the medium to long term in mind. I really fear for our young players and it's sad to say but if I was a football agent who had my players' best interests at heart I'd keep them as far away from here as possible
Agree with every word.

Talents like Martial, Rashford, Pogba, and Bruno will most likely be completely wasted at this club. Two of which were talked about as Ballon D'or level. And if we don't get a clue quick, Greenwood and Sancho will go the exact same way.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Always thought and said his best football was attacking from the left handside.

C'est Moi Cantona

He would be starting if it wasn’t for his transfer request; considering how poor rashford & greenwood have been recently.
I don't get this, or even if he's put in a transfer request, but even so does a transfer request automatically mean you can't play?

If no one wants him in January, then what? He just sits it out to the summer, when no one will want that sort of player then either.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's disappointing to see him leaving when I'm still not convinced any of our other attackers are better. Our best football over the last few years has come with him in the side.

C'est Moi Cantona

It's disappointing to see him leaving when I'm still not convinced any of our other attackers are better. Our best football over the last few years has come with him in the side.
Where's he going? We seem to want a fee and all the wages covered, I just don't see who does it, unless we go back on the demands of course.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
19 year old Martial was better than any we saw since. Which makes you wonder why?

What was it that LVG did for him and Rashford.

Structure. Weirdly enough I think we almost sacked LVG too early. We actually had quite an exciting team coming towards the end of the season.

Our attack was lacking speed through most of his tenure, and for whatever reason the fall out with Di Maria sort of cemented it.

It's a shame we didn't carry it on longer as we ripped it up with Mourinho.

El-Manos

I don't get this, or even if he's put in a transfer request, but even so does a transfer request automatically mean you can't play?

If no one wants him in January, then what? He just sits it out to the summer, when no one will want that sort of player then either.
I assume Ragnick does not see the point considering he does not have a future here and he cannot plan with him. Probably also trying to make a statement.

C'est Moi Cantona

I'm just assuming he'll leave in the summer to be honest.
Long contract, big wages, we'll want a decent fee, I just don't see it unless he rips it up between now and the end of the season, which would need him to get his loan move and then find his form very quickly, it seems very unlikely.

crossy1686

career ending
Managers will absolutely not pick you, it happens all the time. It's not as if we haven't had rumours about players being unhappy that it wasn't the best trainers that were selected for games, a some players can clearly put terrible string of performances together without any reduction of their game time.
Are you suggesting Martial hasn’t been played because managers won’t pick him regardless of how he trains or performs?

I do not understand why people abandon all logic when it comes to talking about this guy.

kthanksbye

Yeah a few times we should really let the player go instead of giving them an extension on the back of a few months of good performances, the other club should then have to deal with the player when the purple patch is over. I'm assuming on the balance of things we'll at least make more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.