g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Anthony Martial image 9

Anthony Martial France flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Djemba-Djemba

Should have been given 10-20 minutes in each of the first 2 games to bring his fitness levels up. Expecting him to come out at 100% after no pre season or game time in months is bordering on insane.
He'd have picked up an injury if Ten Hag had given him 10-20 minutes in the opening 2 games.

He's completely and utterly finished.

UnitedRepublic

Down 2-0 straight away and they can park the bus and he’s the one furthest up what is he expected to drop deep rainbow flick the players in the parked bus and score a volley or what ? The burden of creating chances is not his thats why you have wingers and midfielders but we are such a bad team at playing possesion football it’s not a mystery why we look how we look. Rashford lost the ball countless of times because of his weak technical ability. Martial atleast treats the ball well and you can try the 1-2 with him but unfortunatly we got players who need to hog the ball or shoot from long distance they can’t play football in tight spaces.

JagUTD

He'd have picked up an injury if Ten Hag had given him 10-20 minutes in the opening 2 games.

He's completely and utterly finished.
Maybe, but it applies to any player coming back after a long time out and not being eased in off the bench.

Not sure what people expect. The worst and best thing you can say about him today is he was on par with the other attackers in the first 2 games yet they don't have the excuse of not being match ready.

He may well be done, but what did anyone one expect today? I've said he should have had at least 30 minutes across the first 2 games to get him closer to match speed because we desperately need him. We need any striker right now and he's all we have. Should have been handled better.

Djemba-Djemba

Maybe, but it applies to any player coming back after a long time out and not being eased in off the bench.

Not sure what people expect. The worst and best thing you can say about him today is he was on par with the other attackers in the first 2 games yet they don't have the excuse of not being match ready.

He may well be done, but what did anyone one expect today? I've said he should have had at least 30 minutes across the first 2 games to get him closer to match speed because we desperately need him. We need any striker right now and he's all we have. Should have been handled better.
Well personally i can tell you what I expected.

I expected him to be shite and he was. I wasn't surprised at all, he's been finished here for years and should have been sold ages ago.

He's never going to be up to match speed because his body can't handle it anymore. You play him for 20 minutes too many games in a row and he breaks down and is out for months.

JagUTD

I expected him to be shite and he was. I wasn't surprised at all, he's been finished here for years and should have been sold ages ago.
In talking in the sense of any player on his position coming back into the team more than the player himself.

Like I said, Martial might be done but that doesn't change the fact he was a player with no preseason, no match fitness and no game time at all on months being asked to start a game because the club has no strikers.

A fit Martial still has something to offer. Might not be much but he's usually got a purple patch in him for a few games. He's just never fit.

Djemba-Djemba

In talking in the sense of any player on his position coming back into the team more than the player himself.

Like I said, Martial might be done but that doesn't change the fact he was a player with no preseason, no match fitness and no game time at all on months being asked to start a game because the club has no strikers.

A fit Martial still has something to offer. Might not be much but he's usually got a purple patch in him for a few games. He's just never fit.
There's no point saying a fit martial offers us something though because as you even acknowledge he's never fit.

He's finished, even if he manages to get out on the pitch he looks so slow. It's like he's scared of breaking into a sprint because he knows if he does he'll likely injure himself. He managed to start a fair few games towards the end of last season and he looked no better than he did today. He's been here 8 years now, way way way too long.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Down 2-0 straight away and they can park the bus and he’s the one furthest up what is he expected to drop deep rainbow flick the players in the parked bus and score a volley or what ? The burden of creating chances is not his thats why you have wingers and midfielders but we are such a bad team at playing possesion football it’s not a mystery why we look how we look. Rashford lost the ball countless of times because of his weak technical ability. Martial atleast treats the ball well and you can try the 1-2 with him but unfortunatly we got players who need to hog the ball or shoot from long distance they can’t play football in tight spaces.
The feck is this nonsense? Newbie system really needs a rethink…

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
His body is completely broken. Pretty sad to see, as he was Fleet footed and a joy to watch in full flow.

JagUTD

His body is completely broken. Pretty sad to see, as he was Fleet footed and a joy to watch in full flow.
The thing is, he wouldn't be the first player in this situation, their body breaking down and not being able to do what they once did.

Many of those players reinvent themselves. They go from that quick, nimble and explosive player and become one that doesn't require natural assets and instead plays smart.

Martial could do that. Become a pure 9, a poacher. There have been players who have suffered horrific injuries that should have ended their career, even meant they shouldn't even be able to walk but yet have come back as a different player. Martials problem isn't as simple as his body letting him down and as much about him not being mentally strong enough to overcome it.

Given United's gaping hole at 9 and Martials inability to be who he was, if there was any determination from him or the club, they could have worked on converting him to a pure 9. It's not as if he doesn't have the tools.

But even as a Martial fan and someone who was hopeful he would get it right, I just don't think he wants it. And at 27, he probably won't ever get it now.

Malone_Post

He looks physically shot.

He's only 27 years old. That's amazing.
Agreed with these posts.

It’s pretty sad to see how broken he is. It’s like watching a different player to the one we bought. All the flair and excitement has completely gone and he clearly doesn’t trust his body to hold up when sprinting.

FerociousCorgis

I was a huge martial fan but at this point the man is done. Case must demand we keep martial around to make himself look like a world class sprinter

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
There are still people defending him

No wonder our team are a mess. The standards have fallen so far Martial got excuses after excuses made for him

If this dude plays under Fergie he'll be hair dryerd out of Carrington

I dont blame players fro not being good enough, but he hardly even try enough he always sulks and jogs all around as if he's prime Messi

Oranges038

He's never going to be up to match speed because his body can't handle it anymore. You play him for 20 minutes too many games in a row and he breaks down and is out for months.
:lol: :lol: :lol: no point getting your hopes up.

Should have been binned off years ago.

Waste of space.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
We shouldve listened to Mourinho when he wanted to get rid. Instead woowar gave him a 250k a week contract, now nobody wants to touch him.

KeanoMagicHat

We shouldve listened to Mourinho when he wanted to get rid. Instead woowar gave him a 250k a week contract, now nobody wants to touch him.
Nah, how Martial was 5 years ago has nothing to do with how he is now. Martial had his best ever season after Mourinho left the club. What’s ruined Martial has been injuries, which he wasn’t having back then.

Also Mourinho brought in Sanchez which ended up getting him sacked so it’s not like he was right either.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Nowhere near good enough, but still the best striker performance of the season so far (the bar is so low!). I’d stI’ll much prefer to see him up top and Rashford left for the moment because we clearly look so much more balanced as a side!

AshRK

It's 2023 and he is still here starting games. And then people expect us to compete with City with this.

lex talionis

Another 250k shoveled straight into the furnace. The club is spending 12m annually on this guy, for a total of around 120m over the life of his contract including his transfer fee. Incredible.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Really sad watching him play nowadays. Love the player but his body is just done. That chance he had in the 1st half where it looked like he was running in Lukaku's timerberland boots. The guy is done.

Sylar

You have to say we are really good at hanging on to players like him ...

Sylar

He looks to be starting according to the united lineup that was tweeted

Delano

Thing is, if he's starting with a slight knock, we're starting with 10. I've seen him do this before.

Run around aimlessly, then hooked at half time with a "knock".

RedorDead21

Another 250k shoveled straight into the furnace. The club is spending 12m annually on this guy, for a total of around 120m over the life of his contract including his transfer fee. Incredible.
How much went on Jones…has much on Sancho so far for pretty much zero extra points on the board…we could name a dozen

city-puma

Hojlund is in contention to play. Martial now has to show he can contribute to the team. Competition is good for the team.

AFC NimbleThumb

It’s genuinely sad what he’s become, there were a few counters where Rashford would set off & he’d trot. I remember when those 2 would create something from nothing in those moments with interplay.

The difference between him & Rasmus was eye opening.

Marwood

Tidy enough but as expected didn't break a sweat. Played like a 40 year old.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Finito. Totally unthreatening, and there’s nothing about his game that resembles a centre forward, if you only just started watching him, you would think he’s being played out of position.

Idxomer

Got a shot on goal and found Rashford with a couple of decent passes.

Enjoy it while it lasts.