2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

BorisManUtd

Pogba, Matić, Mata, Lingard, Martial. That's 5 players that left us on free transfer recently (same with Rojo, Cavani, Bailly) and you'd think other clubs would be able to actually get some money at least on some of those players.

Anyway, Martial's career has been ruined by injuries since 20/21. It's a shame but hopefully for him he can still be quality player at another club/league. He's only 28 so can potentially still play for years.

Guess we'll see him play some more in April and May. Would be nice if he can finish his United career with few goals. Think only Shaw has been at club longer than him of the current set of players.

Stadjer

Total20963
That's his total output for us. 63 goals in 209 league appearances. For the money paid that's a poor return. Highest fee for a teenager in the world when we bought him. He did not live up to the promise.
Agree with everything @MadDogg said. He also played a lot of games as a left winger and not as the main striker option. Martial wasnt even taking penalties. Before injuries Martial was scoring goals at an acceptable rate.

His promise was 'ballon do'r', it was even in the contract when he signed. He did not live up to that. However he was (developing to becoming) a very good player for Manchester United until the injuries hit.

He certainly wasnt a useless lump as some stupid post claim. He falls in that group of young talented players that never lived up to their potential because of injuries. Now he is just a broken footballer. Sad but it happens.

SAFMUTD

From his perspective this next few months at utd is money in the bank.

Not playing and having surgery now is about trying to get his body into a state where he can actually play consistently so he can try to get the best contract he can in the summer.

Good luck with that. De Gea and Lingard are both prime examples of players paid way beyond their worth and unwilling to accept the reality of their worth when these mega contracts end.
Can you blame him? From his perspective he has to make the best chances he gets it's not his fault the club hierarchy are so stupid to hand out this contracts to players that don't deserve them.

I doubt he'll end anywhere else but a mid table team from a top league or a top team from a lower league like Turkey. He knows he won't get even half the wages he's getting here but hey he got amazing wages for years without deserving them so looking back I think he'll consider himself lucky.

SAFMUTD

100%, and although I understand him wanting to be fit and ready to start at a new club instead of starting his search while recovering from surgery, it's typical of what he's become at United. Massive contract, injury prone, doesn't give a shit.
You have to see it from the player's side as well. If he was told he wont be renewed then surgery its his best chance, gets to have it without cost have rehabilitation and offer himself to a new club being fully fit. Otherwise he'd hardly delivered anyway and he'd end up a free agent with an injury which would limit his chances of getting a contract at a new club. It not on the player it's on ourselves to give those contract to players that dont deserve them.

united for life

Made good money at United. Now it’s time he goes to play football somewhere else.

unfortunately, never lived up to his ballon dor’s clause. Injuries played part for sure, but his attitude was never going to take him anywhere

Pickle85

Never kicked on after that debut season. Has shown flashes but nothing like he should have. And nobody will convince me that's 100% to do with injuries and 0% to do with a lack of desire.

Irwin99

Imagine being a professional footballer and your body giving up on you when you're just 24/25 years old. I guess Phil Jones went through something even worse.

I've never quite been sure about his mentality but his talent was undeniable. As a pure talent he was better than Hojlund and Rashford at the age of 20/21.

Stadjer

Never kicked on after that debut season. Has shown flashes but nothing like he should have. And nobody will convince me that's 100% to do with injuries and 0% to do with a lack of desire.
He hasnt shown what he should have, or what we hoped for, but he shown more than just some flashes.

What desire does he lack? Or a bad attitude that some claim he has? Okay, sure he doesnt run around like Weghorst and he isnt shouting at his teammates to show 'that he cares' but what is really wrong with Martial his attitude or desire?

Mourinho came in, took his shirtnumber and wanted to sell him. What did Martial do? He played so well Mourinho had to start him until Mourinho tried replacing him with Sanchez. Ole asked Martial to play with injuries, Martial played with injuries. Which could be the reason he is broken right now. After Ole Ralf came in. Martial didnt want to sit on the bench but demanded a loan to Seville so he could play football. He was upset/annoyed that ETH took him off once this season.

What shows his lack of desire? Martial not making runs into the box like Haaland does? I just dont think that is his style of play. He might not even see those opportunities. He lacks that striker instinct but he did have other qualities as a striker. Mourinho said some stuff but that is Mourinho, surely that cant be taken serious anymore? John Terry playing with injections is Mourinho his base line of 'desire'. Mourinho cant judge any player who isnt north of their mid 30's right now.

I dont think Martial is known for going out, partying or having drunk adventures. Some other players do that but they arent questioned about their desire. I believe Martial cheated on his wife but that is too much desire of a different kind i suppose. What else is there that shows a lack of desire? He doesnt smile enough on the pitch? Is that the indicator for desire?

Injuries might not be 100% the reason for his failing but i dont think his desire has much to do with it. The lack of desire is just a lazy term to stick on any failed talent. Martial his body really just broke down. Just like how Phil Jones his body broke down. Or how Jack Wilshere broke down. Or didnt they have any desire either?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Whoever thinks he's not been waste of money here needs to rethink how long would he last at the likes of City, Bayern, Liverpool, City, etc. I bet after two years at best(for him) they would get better of him performance wise or get rid while he has any value.

And that would be the case with many other players that played for us over the years, hardly any players that are paid that much last so much without contributing anything.

Pickle85

He hasnt shown what he should have, or what we hoped for, but he shown more than just some flashes.

What desire does he lack? Or a bad attitude that some claim he has? Okay, sure he doesnt run around like Weghorst and he isnt shouting at his teammates to show 'that he cares' but what is really wrong with Martial his attitude or desire?

Mourinho came in, took his shirtnumber and wanted to sell him. What did Martial do? He played so well Mourinho had to start him until Mourinho tried replacing him with Sanchez. Ole asked Martial to play with injuries, Martial played with injuries. Which could be the reason he is broken right now. After Ole Ralf came in. Martial didnt want to sit on the bench but demanded a loan to Seville so he could play football. He was upset/annoyed that ETH took him off once this season.

What shows his lack of desire? Martial not making runs into the box like Haaland does? I just dont think that is his style of play. He might not even see those opportunities. He lacks that striker instinct but he did have other qualities as a striker. Mourinho said some stuff but that is Mourinho, surely that cant be taken serious anymore? John Terry playing with injections is Mourinho his base line of 'desire'. Mourinho cant judge any player who isnt north of their mid 30's right now.

I dont think Martial is known for going out, partying or having drunk adventures. Some other players do that but they arent questioned about their desire. I believe Martial cheated on his wife but that is too much desire of a different kind i suppose. What else is there that shows a lack of desire? He doesnt smile enough on the pitch? Is that the indicator for desire?

Injuries might not be 100% the reason for his failing but i dont think his desire has much to do with it. The lack of desire is just a lazy term to stick on any failed talent. Martial his body really just broken down. Just like how Phil Jones his body broke down. Or how Jack Wilshere broke down. Or didnt they have any desire either?
He didn't 'play so well that Mourinho had to start him', we were just absolutely starved of decent options and he was the best of a bang average bunch. When you say he did have other qualities of a striker, what were they? He showed he could finish for a couple of seasons, and that he could dribble for a couple, but that's about it. His workrate in terms of sprints and running behind has consistently been below par and he's never offered anything going the other way. He's proven time and again that he doesn't have the stomach for a fight.

You've always been very pro martial and I can't for the life of me understand why.

Roane

I don't think Martial has proved to be anywhere near the player he could have been or realized the potential he showed early on.

However I think when he is being discussed there are reports during his time on loan that seem to be ignored.

I am out currently so can't post the sources or "evidence" but there was clearly reports that he had an underlying injury that was never sorted and that was why he kept breaking down. This was something his loan club specified when he first went there and got injured.

I don't know if this was ever resolved?

Wasn't just Martial. There was the Lindelof issue with his back and even Rashford and his injury.

Don't know if it's been a case of patch em up and put em in. Rather than saying go get it sorted and out for an extended period of time.

Does anyone know if it was resolved?

SAFMUTD

It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't play for us ever again, even when there's only Hojlund.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
So what's your ratio of desire to injury?
Martial was by no means tearing it up before his injury woes but he was still a 1 goal in 3 winger/forward. Which is respectable for a player about to hit their peak years (24-25) and coming off his most productive season in 19/20. When it comes to Martial we often compare him to his own world class potential and not what's typical of your everyday solid premier league striker. The version we have now is not even a below average striker and that can't be purely because of desire because even with his supposed lack of desire then he had a useful goal scoring record that was at worst equal to your average premier league quality striker.

Is it a lack of desire contributing to him not reaching his true potential? Sure can agree with that, but that's not why he is at the level he is now.

lex talionis

We’ve seen other top footballers recover and perform brilliantly after serious injuries. But you have to have the mental strength to do so.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
any sign of this guy coming back to plug a hole until end of May?
24th Jan he had a surgery and the club said it would take him 10 weeks to recover & rehabilitate before he can return to grass which I guess would take another 2 weeks to get that up to speed so 12 weeks from that date is around 17th April which would leave us with around 7 games left before the end of the season hence why most write him off.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
24th Jan he had a surgery and the club said it would take him 10 weeks to recover & rehabilitate before he can return to grass which I guess would take another 2 weeks to get that up to speed so 12 weeks from that date is around 17th April which would leave us with around 7 games left before the end of the season hence why most write him off.
Hes in the departures lounge!

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He always scores vs Everton. We should wheel him out, crocked or not, for this game at least.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
"Can Martial score? He always scores (v Everton)."

"The big crock is coming up."

Sniper007

He has to be the clubs best regarded player ever by fans when absent. His reputation and hype seems to flourish when he’s absent. When he’s present there’s nothing but silence from Martial FC.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
His collapse will go down in the annals of history. The man scored 17 league goals in 19-20 and followed it up with 12 league goals over the next 4 seasons.
He also did his cruciate the following season and never got it back after that.

Son

This might be the ultimate show of rot at the club the past decade. A player blatantly not good enough since 2020 leaves almost half a decade after his time was already up.

Massive wage for a decade. Achieving very little and really showing zero personality to fans. I don’t think I’ve ever heard him speak. The on pitch (treatment table) Glazer’s pet.

BorisManUtd

Could he be back soon? Yeah injuries ruined him and he'll be gone in summer anyway but feels better when you actually have another option on striker position after Hojlund. We need as many players fit as possible for finishing part of the season to have a chance of top 5 and/or Fa Cup.

Irwin99

From the press conference we still have no idea when he'll be back . It looks like a very sad end to his United career; his last good season was 4 years ago and he's still only 28.

soapythecat

A player who epitomises the Woodward era. He’s been the biggest waste of space given wages and fee. Face like a slapped arse too - can’t wait for him to finally be off our wage bill. Bet he doesn’t get a top club next. Most likely do a DDG and not bother with football.

didz

Still think he should wait it out for Martial. He might go on to become world class. There's a player in there
Agreed. All the guy needs is bionic legs, some clockwork orange style brainwashing to make him wretch at the thought of half-arsing anything, and regular controlled doses of MDMA. We have the technology.

Hammondo

Pogba, Matić, Mata, Lingard, Martial. That's 5 players that left us on free transfer recently (same with Rojo, Cavani, Bailly) and you'd think other clubs would be able to actually get some money at least on some of those players.

Anyway, Martial's career has been ruined by injuries since 20/21. It's a shame but hopefully for him he can still be quality player at another club/league. He's only 28 so can potentially still play for years.

Guess we'll see him play some more in April and May. Would be nice if he can finish his United career with few goals. Think only Shaw has been at club longer than him of the current set of players.
Bit late to reply to this but, Pogba left on a free because of the lack of interest in him.