View full 2023-24 profile

4.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
1 in 3 isn't really that good for a striker at a top club tbh. It's just okay.

Elite level strikers are 1 in 1 pretty much, and those a level below are 1 in 1.5 or 1 in 2
Naa I feel your evaluations are being skewed by the Ronaldomessification of goal scoring records.

1 in 3 is exactly the ratio of elite wide forward/wingers. Think Ribery, Robben, Hazard. Then you have outliers like Salah and Mane who are closer to 1 in 2 but still not quite there.

Historically 1 in 1 goal ratios are only really reserved for goated strikers/forwards. Most strikers you'd tag as elite have a 1 in 2 record. Good strikers will have a 1 in 3 ratio and so on. Moreover Martial hasn't really played as an out and out striker for most of his career though. He's at best a wide forward or a deep forward like a Firmino. I haven't looked at the stats to see where he played most during his pre injury years but I doubt he's played as the main striker in more than 50% of our games.

All that to say prior to his injury issues, Martial was on the path to elite winger status. Even accounting for his perceived "lack of mentality" and apparent dislike of football. This should be the only honest objective assessment of his time here.

Last edited:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He should have stayed playing as a wide forward on the left as that was where he did his best work.
He may have had one good season in a central role but that was about it.
Not really. Before injuries destroyed him he played two seasons mostly at striker and they were his best seasons. The other three he played on the wing and while he was good in two of them (when Mourinho actually played him) it still wasn't to the same level as his debut and 19/20.

After that injuries effectively ended his career at the age of 24.

Roane

I remember reading, when Martial went on loan, that his injuries were due to one injury not being treated properly during Ole reign.

It was said by the club he was loaned to.

Anyone shed light on that?

lex talionis

Has anyone ever found out what these 7 years (9 seasons total, 2 injury-free) of injuries actually were?

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Has anyone ever found out what these 7 years (9 seasons total, 2 injury-free) of injuries actually were?
I remember reading, when Martial went on loan, that his injuries were due to one injury not being treated properly during Ole reign.

It was said by the club he was loaned to.

Anyone shed light on that?
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/anthony-martial/verletzungen/spieler/182877

His injuries were about as mixed as they can get from Groin to Achilles, Hamstring, Back, Knee, Hip etc..

spiriticon

Naa I feel your evaluations are being skewed by the Ronaldomessification of goal scoring records.

1 in 3 is exactly the ratio of elite wide forward/wingers. Think Ribery, Robben, Hazard. Then you have outliers like Salah and Mane who are closer to 1 in 2 but still not quite there.

Historically 1 in 1 goal ratios are only really reserved for goated strikers/forwards. Most strikers you'd tag as elite have a 1 in 2 record. Good strikers will have a 1 in 3 ratio and so on. Moreover Martial hasn't really played as an out and out striker for most of his career though. He's at best a wide forward or a deep forward like a Firmino. I haven't looked at the stats to see where he played most during his pre injury years but I doubt he's played as the main striker in more than 50% of our games.

All that to say prior to his injury issues, Martial was on the path to elite winger status. Even accounting for his perceived "lack of mentality" and apparent dislike of football. This should be the only honest objective assessment of his time here.
Yeah I was rating him as a pure CF. Number 9, where he wants to play.

As left forward he ain't bad. Better than Rashford I would say, all things considered.

statpadder

1 goal in 3 is fecking spectacular considering he played in a dysfunctional attack and with selfish individual players who were allergic to passing the ball.

Put him in City and he would have more G/A than Haaland.

saik

Has confirmed he's leaving after his contract expires.

Dan_F

Nice video to go with it on Instagram, but it was evident that there was almost no highlights from the last two seasons. Whether his body isn’t able to cope any more, or it’s more of mental thing, it’s such a shame and easy to forget to how many special goals he scored.

That front line with Pogba had some ridiculous talent under Ole. But for a few poor choices in the transfer market that team could have been very good.

ItDoesntEvenMata

Should have gone 4/5 years ago. Symbolic for me of everything that has gone wrong since LVG - going in cycles of having faith in players who don't put in the requisite effort and are always unavailable, whilst casting aside managers

Easily my least favourite United player ever

Raven

Wish things had gone differently. Easily the most exciting player we've had since SAF retired for me, shame that he couldn't build up on the 19/20 season, I really thought he was about to become one of the best in the business at that stage.

Djemba-Djemba

Was a very good player at his best but his last 4 years here have been a disaster really.

He's averaged less than 5 goals a season for the last 4 years I think. Injuries have wrecked him.

Atheist

He’d score more goals than Haaland at City? Well, firstly there’s no way Pep would even want him in his squad, with his complete lack of effort. Let alone starting and scoring more goals than Haaland.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Should have gone 4/5 years ago. Symbolic for me of everything that has gone wrong since LVG - going in cycles of having faith in players who don't put in the requisite effort and are always unavailable, whilst casting aside managers

Easily my least favourite United player ever
Your least favourite Utd player ever? That’s seriously harsh!

ItDoesntEvenMata

Your least favourite Utd player ever? That’s seriously harsh!
Yep, just couldn't stand seeing him on the team sheet knowing you'd get half arsed performances, sloppy touches and every so often a goal that kept him starting for 2/3 games. Seriously lazy things like an awful first touch or pass and then walking back rather than chasing down his mistake.

Seriously symbolic of everything wrong with the club

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It was only the last four seasons that were destroyed by injuries. Before that he picked up the odd knock but nothing really noticeable that kept him out for a long time or impacted his game.

We know the first of those four seasons (20/21) he played for months with an injury that stopped him accelerating due to Ole needing him to play, and then ended up tearing his knee ligaments in the final few months of that season. Whether playing through the injury for months led to the ligament tear or whether it was a completely separate issue that would have happened anyway, no idea.

He's never been the same since then. He's still had periods here and there where he's still been quite good (people sleep on him being good most of last season) and he's generally always made the attack as a whole gel better than anyone else, but he's obviously lost agility and explosiveness. He definitely also has had poor patches in that time as well (pretty much all of 20/21 for example). But his body just seems to have given up on him at that point, constantly struggling with injuries and rarely being able to put a couple of months together on the field.

ItDoesntEvenMata

It was only the last four seasons that were destroyed by injuries. Before that he picked up the odd knock but nothing really noticeable that kept him out for a long time or impacted his game.

We know the first of those four seasons (20/21) he played for months with an injury that stopped him accelerating due to Ole needing him to play, and then ended up tearing his knee ligaments in the final few months of that season. Whether playing through the injury for months led to the ligament tear or whether it was a completely separate issue that would have happened anyway, no idea.

He's never been the same since then. He's still had periods here and there where he's still been quite good (people sleep on him being good most of last season) and he's generally always made the attack as a whole gel better than anyone else, but he's obviously lost agility and explosiveness. He definitely also has had poor patches in that time as well (pretty much all of 20/21 for example).
He wasn't good for most of last season - he played less than half the minutes available and scored a few goals, usually in games where we were already either well up or well out of it. If he was good last season, Rashford was good this

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Close the thread, sick note has left the building.
+1

Hard to feel anything fot somebody who hasn't been available for us for years. He should have been sold years ago but club management were being idiots

Marwood

He's just one of those players for who its no surprise he's injured a lot. You look at him on the pitch and have to question his application off the pitch.

TrustInJanuzaj

Unbelievably harsh on a guy who had some great moments here. I don't see how anyone could ever beat Antony to that title tbh!
I’d say Di Maria is up there the snake. There’s loads of others harder to watch than Martial. I get people being disappointed relative to his talent, but he was a joy to watch at times. Can you really say the same about half the players post Fergie.

TrustInJanuzaj

Yep, just couldn't stand seeing him on the team sheet knowing you'd get half arsed performances, sloppy touches and every so often a goal that kept him starting for 2/3 games. Seriously lazy things like an awful first touch or pass and then walking back rather than chasing down his mistake.

Seriously symbolic of everything wrong with the club
That is fair enough for his last 4 years but before that he wasn’t really any of those things. He was regularly amongst our best performers.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
That is fair enough for his last 4 years but before that he wasn’t really any of those things. He was regularly amongst our best performers.
I thought he was a more complete player than Henry was at the same age, in his first few months at the club. He could’ve gone on to become one of the very best PL players. Shows what I know!

Jericho

Historically 1 in 1 goal ratios are only really reserved for goated strikers/forwards. Most strikers you'd tag as elite have a 1 in 2 record. Good strikers will have a 1 in 3 ratio and so on. ...
Not sure about that. The elite strikers usually get around 25 in the league, which is roughly 2 in 3. Van Nistelrooy, Henry, Shearer, Kane, Aguero etc.

It's funny how everything is so stat focused now. It doesn't feel that long ago that Mario Gomez was hitting crazy numbers all the while being slated for not doing enough in games.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
Not sure about that. The elite strikers usually get around 25 in the league, which is roughly 2 in 3. Van Nistelrooy, Henry, Shearer, Kane, Aguero etc.

It's funny how everything is so stat focused now. It doesn't feel that long ago that Mario Gomez was hitting crazy numbers all the while being slated for not doing enough in games.
Was referring to the career goals ratio which often has a normal distribution of goals across a career compared to let's say a player's peak years where any decent striker can have an almost 1 in 1 goal across a couple of seasons. The term "elite" is subjective anyway so I like when the underlying stats reveal something we may otherwise not see purely from the eye test. There are technically average players with elite attributes in scoring conversely some brilliant technicians with average goals scoring records.

Munkehboi

I still have incredibly fond memories of his debut and that goal. Sadly, it didn't quite work out for him. Save a bit on our wage bill at least.

Thanks, Tony all the best!