Antoine "Lebron" Griezmann | "I Stay"

Status
Not open for further replies.

gr3yham3

He's been fecking them around for two seasons now.
Its more tiresome than the Ronaldo to Madrid saga at this stage, this is worse because he's been tipped to go to their main title rivals!
Boo him out of the building.
To be fair to him, he was only strongly linked to Barca this season? Before that he seemed to be joining us instead. What is wrong with staying back to help his club through a transfer ban? Did he sulk and not play well during these past 2 seasons?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
If you can’t beat a man you might as well retire.
Yeah because that's the alternative.

Are you implying that it's not an important skill, especially in attacking areas?

We keep signing players who don't fit a set style of play. Back to when we signed Falcao despite having Rooney and RvP. All pretty much the same player at that point.

Our best dribblers would be Pogba and Fred I think. Nothing out wide or upfront.

Bubz27

Problem is that I can't find any player who is superb at consistently beating his man that we can purchase this summer though. I don't think Bale will leave, and his game is more of pace and power rather than dribbling. The other options we could get just don't seem consistent enough. Still think better movement off the ball and quick thinking beat trying to beat your man if we want to win a football game.
Mahrez?

I do agree about movent off the ball and quick passing as well. Looking at City and Liverpool, two very good attacking teams. So many of their goals come from good runs from their quality attackers and fullbacks and balls in behind the defence. But players like Sane and Sterling and Salah and Mane still hold the ability to beat a man if and when.

Who do we have to do that? Martial? Pogba occasionally? Rashford if there's 20 yards of space behind the defender?

Vanya

Mahrez?

I do agree about movent off the ball and quick passing as well. Looking at City and Liverpool, two very good attacking teams. So many of their goals come from good runs from their quality attackers and fullbacks and balls in behind the defence. But players like Sane and Sterling and Salah and Mane still hold the ability to beat a man if and when.

Who do we have to do that? Martial? Pogba occasionally? Rashford if there's 20 yards of space behind the defender?
Completely agree with this. Having a player that can beat people helps destabilize even the best even defenses. Martial on top form would be that player. But I would have much preferred if we signed a right winger who does that. We create a lot of overloads on the left side, it would really help us if we had a player than can take advantage of that on the right wing when isolated with his defender.

gr3yham3

Mahrez?

Mahrez seems to have decided to join City, and I don't think Jose fancies him at all. So bar Mahrez, who else can we get? Griezmann comes with the bonus of playing in Simeone's Atletico, thus I think will suit Jose's style to a T. I agree that as a team, we need to work at our runs and off the ball movement more, especially in the attacking third. Our fullbacks seem to fear to get to the byline and put a cross in.

OneReligion

Not really been able to keep up with whats going on with this story while at work.

Whats the ins and outs of it? Is it believable?

Thought it was nailed on he's off to Barca...

Bubz27

Mahrez seems to have decided to join City, and I don't think Jose fancies him at all. So bar Mahrez, who else can we get? Griezmann comes with the bonus of playing in Simeone's Atletico, thus I think will suit Jose's style to a T. I agree that as a team, we need to work at our runs and off the ball movement more, especially in the attacking third. Our fullbacks seem to fear to get to the byline and put a cross in.
I guess if we can nail the off the ball movement upfront we'd instantly look a lot better. Griezmann has great movement but he doesn't solve it himself. It's a team mentality.

gr3yham3

I guess if we can nail the off the ball movement upfront we'd instantly look a lot better. Griezmann has great movement but he doesn't solve it himself. It's a team mentality.
True. But I can see it working with Sanchez, who likes to get on the ball and look for runners. With Griezmann there, he would have both him and Lukaku to look for, and hopefully Pogba bombing into the box like he did against City as well. Our fullbacks really need to learn to stretch the play better and be more of a threat when in wide positions though. There is a reason why Jose likes Lingard so much - I think his off the ball movement is the best among our team for now, but he lacks the consistency and sometimes seems to not know what to do with the ball when he gets it in a good position. Griezmann is an upgraded Lingard with consistency, experience and better finishing. Oh, and I think Griezmann has it in his locker to beat a man. He used to play as a winger after all. Don't expect him to slalom his way like Messi or Hazard, but I think beating one man and taking a shot is well within his capabilities. He does start counter-attacks very well too, something that Jose will love. With Fred already with us, and if Griezmann joins, I think our "vertical transitions" will be much faster.

RepardReece

True. But I can see it working with Sanchez, who likes to get on the ball and look for runners. With Griezmann there, he would have both him and Lukaku to look for, and hopefully Pogba bombing into the box like he did against City as well. Our fullbacks really need to learn to stretch the play better and be more of a threat when in wide positions though. There is a reason why Jose likes Lingard so much - I think his off the ball movement is the best among our team for now, but he lacks the consistency and sometimes seems to not know what to do with the ball when he gets it in a good position. Griezmann is an upgraded Lingard with consistency, experience and better finishing. Oh, and I think Griezmann has it in his locker to beat a man. He used to play as a winger after all. Don't expect him to slalom his way like Messi or Hazard, but I think beating one man and taking a shot is well within his capabilities. He does start counter-attacks very well too, something that Jose will love. With Fred already with us, and if Griezmann joins, I think our "vertical transitions" will be much faster.
Well said. I think Griezmann will fit right into Mourinhos styles of play as well. We either get him this window or never though.

covlee junior

I still hope he will join us because he wil be the main man instead of become the shadow of Messi.

Griezmann dribbling is bang average and his play style is similar to Aguero.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah because that's the alternative.

Are you implying that it's not an important skill, especially in attacking areas?

We keep signing players who don't fit a set style of play. Back to when we signed Falcao despite having Rooney and RvP. All pretty much the same player at that point.

Our best dribblers would be Pogba and Fred I think. Nothing out wide or upfront.
Have we sold martial? Literally the one thing he does is dribble well

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Can't Griezmann beat a man?
I'm not sure about the context of the question but yes Griezmann can beat a man, he does it all the time but he does it like a central player not like a winger, it's all about touch and finesse with very little power and high speed.

Vanya

To dribble in transition is one thing, to do what, for example ribery does for bayern or Sane has recently done for City against packed defences is another.

Griezmanns assets are his appreciation for pockets of space, passing, his movement and finishing. Even though he started as a winger, hes not one anymore. He will definitely improve us as a forward but our problem of playing against packed defences will become considerably better if we sign a world class right winger - a player like Douglas Costa.

To supplement forwards like Sanchez Lukaku Rashford Martial i think we need creative wingers not more forwards.

Cliche Guevara

To dribble in transition is one thing, to do what, for example ribery does for bayern or Sane has recently done for City against packed defences is another.

Griezmanns assets are his appreciation for pockets of space, passing, his movement and finishing. Even though he started as a winger, hes not one anymore. He will definitely improve us as a forward but our problem of playing against packed defences will become considerably better if we sign a world class right winger - a player like Douglas Costa.

To supplement forwards like Sanchez Lukaku Rashford Martial i think we need creative wingers not more forwards.
Griezmann has intricate skills and a sublime touch. He’s a World Class player who can beat players effortlessly.

Dalot brings speed and width, it’s not like Griezmann needs to be a flying winger. If you get a player of that quality you benefit from him.

rampo

Is this the best transfer saga yet what with Kohler and all? Or does Thiago's ball still take the first place?

Wild Wood

Is he better than we've already got in that position? If the answer is yes what's the argument?

Vanya

Griezmann has intricate skills and a sublime touch. He’s a World Class player who can beat players effortlessly.

Dalot brings speed and width, it’s not like Griezmann needs to be a flying winger. If you get a player of that quality you benefit from him.
I didnt argue that Griezmann doesnt have intricate skills or a sublime touch. Im merely stating that we have many forwards and having a world class RW that can consistently beat his man would be more beneficial.

We have so many players that favour the left side of attack and thats the side we usually cause overloads on with Pogba Sanchez and Young. It would benefit our team a lot to have a RW that can beat his man when the ball is switched to him during left sided overloads.

Moreover, if both wings have a genuine dribbler. it stretches the opposition defence much more. Many defences double up on the dribbler or some mark the player very tightly leaving gaps in defence.

Players like Ribery, Sane and especially Douglas Costa created more chances, had more key passes and considerably more successful take-ons than Griezmann per 90 mins last season. Stats dont always tell the entire story but watching Griezmann play would also make one realize that he doesnt do the things on the RW what the aforementioned players can do on the left/right wing consistently.

Cliche Guevara

I didnt argue that Griezmann doesnt have intricate skills or a sublime touch. Im merely stating that we have many forwards and having a world class RW that can consistently beat his man would be more beneficial.

We have so many players that favour the left side of attack and thats the side we usually cause overloads on with Pogba Sanchez and Young. It would benefit our team a lot to have a RW that can beat his man when the ball is switched to him during left sided overloads.

Moreover, if both wings have a genuine dribbler. it stretches the opposition defence much more. Many defences double up on the dribbler or some mark the player very tightly leaving gaps in defence.

Players like Ribery, Sane and especially Douglas Costa created more chances, had more key passes and considerably more successful take-ons than Griezmann per 90 mins last season. Stats dont always tell the entire story but watching Griezmann play would also make one realize that he doesnt do the things on the RW what the aforementioned players can do consistently.
He scores thirty goals a season.

Cliche Guevara

i think you're missing the point and shifting the goal posts.

Im not arguing that he wouldnt help the team. I believe that he wont solve our RW problem.
I’m not shifting anything. If he scores thirty goals from right-forward then what’s the problem? There’s more than one way to play football.

Vanya

I’m not shifting anything. If he scores thirty goals from right-forward then what’s the problem? There’s more than one way to play football.
Of course theres more than one way to play football. But anyone who has watched United recently would reach the conclusion that we need a RW. Do you not agree with that? Clearly that is a weak point.

Griezmann is not a RW, he roams all over the pitch. According to you a 30 goals a season striker, who doesnt play RW for his team, will solve our RW problem. I dont agree with that conclusion.

Just curious have you watched him play or just youtube videos?

Cliche Guevara

Of course theres more than one way to play football. But anyone who has watched United recently would reach the conclusion that we need a RW. Do you not agree with that? Clearly that is a weak point.

Griezmann is not a RW, he roams all over the pitch. According to you a 30 goals a season striker, who doesnt play RW for his team, will solve our RW problem. I dont agree with that conclusion.

Settle down.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Thank you dear Sir. And you're right to say that.
:lol:
Be fun if that random geezer on reddit was right though wouldn't it.
Would be one of the all time great ITKs

Well, I say great, I do sort of struggle to see how we'd actually play a guy who is a central striker. Shoehorning him on the right could be awkward, unless we change to a 2 up front model. And then expect our vet full backs, or some kid with 7 career games to basically provide all width!

Ban

:lol:
Be fun if that random geezer on reddit was right though wouldn't it.
Would be one of the all time great ITKs

Well, I say great, I do sort of struggle to see how we'd actually play a guy who is a central striker. Shoehorning him on the right could be awkward, unless we change to a 2 up front model. And then expect our vet full backs, or some kid with 7 career games to basically provide all width!
It would be funny and he would have to be hailed as a king of ITKs tbh.
I dont believe we're getting him. Although I'd be nicely surprised if he got him but as you say that move wouldn't make much sense.

Fer

Exactly, we need a winger to provide width/crosses. Someone similar to William, Sane, Costa, Dembele, Mahrez, etc... I woudn't say no to Griezmann, but he needs to play in his best position. That's why it's important to sign top fullbacks.

AngliaRed

He looks very confident tonight and wanting to dribble at the opposition at every chance. Its good to see!

Status
Not open for further replies.