Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SSSSnake

We have the two best fullbacks in the league right now. Both providing great outlets. Great to see both working so hard for the team.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It´s not holier than thou, it´s just bloody obvious, and credit to you, that in your post, you did sort of get the idea. And yes, this cliche poor positioning sense is debatable. It just gets repeated over and over again without real justice. Feel free with actual video or specific instances, other than one off gaffes like vs Wolfiesburg last year, to demonstrate. While I love Shaw, I find him far more suspect, but never hear a thing about it.
You are coming across as David Brent Nobby! Not saying you're wrong but the way you're saying it is pretty meh!

podurban2

Valencia was a an absolute beast last night. It really helps him having Bailly to cover his defensive "errors". Yet to see him against a Hazard but the signs so far have been great.

acrebo

Great to see him back doing what he does best - I forgot how much pace he has!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It's amazing what confidence and a good coach can do

Shackles of last 2 seasons are off

Love Tony, supreme professional and brings so much balance to the force..er..the side

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Like a new signing really. Back to taking his man on and beating him for pace and now floating a cross in instead of blindly hitting it flat and low.

Outstanding.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He needs to take throw ins properly is my only criticism of him. :lol: He'll be punished by any ref who actually follows the rules.

Long season ahead, but he looks like he has improved a lot.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Watching Tony V blast past someone really is a wonderful thing... not quite as wonderful when he decided to do a test of strength against someone and flaws them... but close.

Oaencha

You guys just don´t get it, do you? Of course Mourinho isn´t going to correct it, it´s Jose who is positioning him there. Isn´t this obvious? He positions Shaw like that as well. It´s been very noticeable this year.

While I don´t necessarily agree with this tactic, it is plainly Mourinho´s doing. Any manager would´ve corrected this one time, unless of course they were the ones setting the defence this way. I knew there would be the knee jerk responses of the cliche "Valencia lack of positioning" bollocks.
It doesn't matter whether it is a cliche or not. It also doesn't matter whether Jose wants Valencia playing higher up the pitch. My point still stands - Valencia is often out of position and leaves a massive space at RB, which will be exploited by a fast, skillful winger.

Sigma

It doesn't matter whether it is a cliche or not. It also doesn't matter whether Jose wants Valencia playing higher up the pitch. My point still stands - Valencia is often out of position and leaves a massive space at RB, which will be exploited by a fast, skillful winger.
So on your basis Shaw is caught out of position too because he's also doing the same thing as Valencia on the other side

Brightonian

This has definitely been true at times in the past, but it seems an odd time to say it given how perfect his defensive work was yesterday. Not only was he doing a textbook job in his own area but he even found time to fly across to cover a couple of Bailly errors too.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
He actually does better against fast wingers as their pace isn't much of a strength against him.

Couple that with the fact that Bailly is lightening quick too as cover,and speed merchants have a hard time against us.

Considering that,I think that Mou has probably told him to push forward which allows Mata to tuck into the inside. It's not the poor positioning you are trying to get him with.

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
I would agree with you. I don´t like Valencia´s nor Shaw´s positioning under Mourinho either. But it´s not a higher up the pitch thing, it is playing them almost as centre halves, way inside, leaving more work for our midfielders, and more space for opposing wingers. But the cliche arguments keep coming off as that it´s Valencia´s fault for his positioning, or as the typical footballing genius here will say, he´s a a winger and not a "natural fullback," he does not understand the right back position. Both he and Shaw are clearly playing where Jose is placing them.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He had a good game last night.
Also, one thing which Giggs said on the telly was that Valencia is immensely (naturally) strong.
Valencia doesn't do much weights, yet he is able to bench 120KG (I think that's what he said). And has very strong legs, too.
I guess you could say that he is a natural athlete.

Sigma

Also, one thing which Giggs said on the telly was that Valencia is immensely (naturally) strong.
Valencia doesn't do much weights, yet he is able to bench 120KG (I think that's what he said). And has very strong legs, too.
He was talking about Shaw iirc^^

But yeah your right, Valencia probably fits inside the same bracket

Rossa

Hell, I can bench 120kgs and I'm hardly an athlete. John Arne Riise could bench 120kgs. I'm really surprised if Valencia can't bench at least 140-150.

Who is faster,Shaw or Valencia? I'm lesning towards Valencia in an outright sprint,but Shaw is more agile and arguably quicker off the mark. Both amazing athletes.

3KDré

That was Shaw.

criticalanalysis

Really owned the right flank and it was great to see his confidence and ability even when isolated in attack. I think he complements Mata excellently.
As much as I love Mata, what we should be saying instead is, Valencia will compliment 'any decent intelligent wide player' and that spot should really be Miki.

Akshay

Staff
As much as I love Mata, what we should be saying instead is, Valencia will compliment 'any decent intelligent wide player' and that spot should really be Miki.
I mean that he complements Mata in that any full-back that plays behind him needs to provide that wide threat. Mata and Darmian is a terrible combination, for example. With Mkhi I'd expect Valencia would have more support out wide and they could interchange one-twos, but Mkhi could probably work in front of Darmian as well.

The United

His form has been on the up for us since at the end of last season though. Seemed to come back stronger from that lay off.

Funny he, blind, the afro, mata would have been the first to go from first line up under jose if caf would get their way. Only 2 games of course but they have been pretty good.

Also I lold whenever people forgot to put Valencia in that 'physical' group of player we have.

He is probably the strongest player we have. A lot of players said they didn't want to play against him because he was absolutely a tank.

Gause

I dont have much complaint about Valencia as RB even since SAF era. Strong, fast and consistent. He rarely gets outplayed by wingers in the league. His crosses also have been getting back to their best now with Zlatan or Pogba in the box, a big bonus for us.

podurban2

If he can carry over these kind of performances to big games, I'll be very satisfied with Tony V as our main RB for the next 1-3 years.

peridigm

If he can carry over these kind of performances to big games, I'll be very satisfied with Tony V as our main RB for the next 1-3 years.
Looks like a new player under Jose. Have to give LVG credit too. Valencia as well for embrassing a new position. Looks to be producing the same form as when we first signed him. Happy if he's first choice for the next 1-2 seasons while we look for a successor.

Clas Sified

Looks like a new player under Jose. Have to give LVG credit too. Valencia as well for embrassing a new position. Looks to be producing the same form as when we first signed him. Happy if he's first choice for the next 1-2 seasons while we look for a successor.
I thought you were saying Valencia has been embarrassing in RB and was about to let rip :D I really should be getting to sleep soon.

Giggs86

Never thought I'd see Valencia back to his best. What a great surprise. The guy is an absolute beast.

Big part of that is due to Morinho, he just makes each player to give 110% on the pitch.

BlakeUtd

The only downside of the newfound swagger at Utd is the cringe worthy moments like these. :lol: Right up there with the Official site announcing Pogba's new Haircut

devips

herrera did not say 'the best', he said 'one of the best'. What's wrong with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.