Antonio Valencia... | Will wear #25 shirt from this point onwards by request

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I thought he had a really good game actually (although for different reasons then normal winger performances). He did really well as the fullback, overlapped well, even put in some nice low crosses and finally got an assist (couldn't remember the last time he got one). Don't think he should start on the wing ahead of Nani who was easily MotM, but he is good to have for back up as a fullback. Think the way he's playing this season, he is more suited as a fullback, i.e. having more space to run into, overlap the winger. When he plays as a winger he struggles in the same way we see fullbacks struggle when put out there, they are used to doing overlapping runs but when they are 1 on 1 with the other fullback they don't know what to do.

Cevno

Think the plan was to play him more at RB this season, but we didn't get Lucas/Hazard and then Rafael came on really this season. He played a couple of games there in August when the season started and even in pre season.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Very poor in the first half but I thought he was fantastic at right back. Did a far better job than Jones.
Agreed.

He's had a bad run of form, but it's not as though he's been disastrous. Even so, it's frustrating to watch him right now.

M160RA

I wonder if he should play RB against Real Madrid. Nani and Valencia on the same wing can be a deadly combination, especially when opposition players decide to double-team Nani, leaving behind acres of space for Valencia to burst forward.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
What assist was that?
Set up Nani for his goal with a cute little ball into feet from the right wing. Did it a few times as well, that's the kind of thing that his "defensive wingplay" can do that you rarely see from any winger really. Even though Nani, Giggs and Young are probably all better passers, it's only really Valencia that plays those kinds of passes from the wing. Yet if Nani's shot was blocked we would've been hearing how "Valencia contributed nothing going forward" because it was such a simple move. It's happened loads of times where he's pulled it back to Carrick, Cleverley, van Persie or Rooney in loads of space but they've not made it count and somehow Valencia takes the blame for playing the "safe" option.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Probably playe better for 45 minutes at Right Back then he has all season on the Right Wing. Him and Nani showed an excellent understanding together and were linking up very well. He did of course get caught out a little bit defensively (due to not actually being a right back) and his outright refusal to ever use his left foot hurts him at times, but I thought he had a good second half overall.

kps88

I think he looked good at RB because Nani was doing so well and created space for him. He still couldn't cross the dam ball and resorted to cutting it back instead.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I wonder if he should play RB against Real Madrid. Nani and Valencia on the same wing can be a deadly combination, especially when opposition players decide to double-team Nani, leaving behind acres of space for Valencia to burst forward.
No. You need actual fullbacks playing especially against the likes of Ronaldo and Di Maria. Its not just about us having more options in attack but we have to defend. And its not just defending one-on-ones but the crosses to the far post which we will be dealing with all night and Valencia cannot judge those crosses as good as a full back can. So in short HELL feckING NO! Plus Rafael is not too bad going forward himself. He has pace as well. Valencia from the right back position does not offer too much more than Rafael.

acnumber9

I think he looked good at RB because Nani was doing so well and created space for him. He still couldn't cross the dam ball and resorted to cutting it back instead.
Does that mean Valencia can take the credit for Rafael doing well when they play together then?

kps88

Does that mean Valencia can take the credit for Rafael doing well when they play together then?
Yes, he can. I don't Valencia's off the ball movement and work rate are being questioned. It's just when he has the ball and is facing his man, that's the problem. When he's our winger he has more of a responsibility to just put in a decent shift and create space for our right back.

Cevno

Looked better in attack tosay. Created 2 chances including the one where giggs hit the post.

acnumber9

Starting to look a little more confident and his movement has been better. I think one really good game is all he needs to get back in the swing of things.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Been watching some Schalke recently and there are a lot of similarities between him and Farfán. Farfán uses more trickery at times and his left foot more but otherwise they aren't that different. Wouldn't even call Valencia necessarily the better player. At least not this season.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Been watching some Schalke recently and there are a lot of similarities between him and Farfán. Farfán uses more trickery at times and his left foot more but otherwise they aren't that different. Wouldn't even call Valencia necessarily the better player. At least not this season.
Rather bemusing assessment. They are both wingers, so obviously to a large extent they do the same sort of stuff. That said, if Farfan uses trickery and both feet, then he's much different to Valencia surely?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Rather bemusing assessment. They are both wingers, so obviously to a large extent they do the same sort of stuff. That said, if Farfan uses trickery and both feet, then he's much different to Valencia surely?
No. I wouldn't compare him to Young or Nani. He looks like Valencia on the pitch. Just their style. Farfán is just kind of like the "better" version of Valencia.

They're also both from a small S-American football nation and are both the best player from that country. One player using his left foot now and again (like almost every footballer bar Valencia) and sometimes doing step-overs does not make him a very different player to Valencia. Those are very minor things.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Definitely. I thought he was showing great signs of improvement today. Wouldn't be too surprised to see him start against Madrid now.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I thought a bit up and down.

His crossing really is dire though. Couldn't find a man other than the assist to the assist (scouseterm) for Shinji's first.

prateik

Used his left foot. Looked comfortable when he moved inside towards the end as well
Good signs

Cina

Definitely. I thought he was showing great signs of improvement today. Wouldn't be too surprised to see him start against Madrid now.
He was decent but I don't think it warrants a place against Madrid ahead of Welbeck, Nani, or (after today) Kagawa. He should be below all three of them in the pecking order.

Tibs

Poor again.

Used his left foot for a cross that led to the goal (good control by RvP really), but other than that offered nothing.

Godfather

Used his left foot and put in a decent cross, feck knows why he isnt using it more often.
Looked decent today.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Doesnt deserve a start vs Madrid after that. Was decent at best from what I saw, and him using his left foot was the best part of his display.

Cina

He had a fine game. Not great but certainly not poor
It was fine by his current standards but if the Valencia of last season put in that performance we'd be saying he was average at best. It's sad to see it come to a stage with him where people say a performance like that one was very good.

Decent enough game from him. I liked the fact he produced a cross with his left foot. That shows a bit more confidence about his ability. Otherwise he was a steady presence on that right wing. He can build on that.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Was decent. His crossing was piss poor. So much of our play went down our right, particularly in the first half. A confident winger would have been more productive.

He's showing signs of getting back to where he should be though. Good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.