5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Jefe

My gut feeling has always told me this guy is bang average. I think it does for many other people too but they get blinded by him being Brazilian and doing pointless tricks so they hope he'll come good.

I've probably watched every game Antony has played for us this season and Brazil and the only time he gave his full back something to think about was for one half each vs Croatia and Cameroon in the world cup. Other than that it has been a breeze for left backs defending him.

The Nani comparison actually does my head in. Nani was unbelievably frustrating but his ability was clear and back then we had Ronaldo and Giggs so standards were so much higher. Put Antony in our 2007-2009 team and he'll be another Tosic.

For the whole young and learning excuse to work, he actually has to give me something to work with. Antony hasn't put in a single decent cross this season, has fecked up every counter attack and has yet to actually prove he has the ability to consistently beat his marker. Why should I believe he'll suddenly do these things when he's shown no potential at it so far.

Its why I have far more faith in Sancho provided he becomes physically ready. Sancho has shown potential here to be a good finisher, excellent progressive passer and ability to beat his man. His main issue is he plays at too low of an intensity for the PL and doesn't have the stamina to last long in games.

Raw

I think it should be a rule that we should never spend more than £70m on a player. Never ends well.

5 goals is a decent return so far but his overall performances have been frustrating. I still have faith that ETH can get the best out of him but at the moment I'd rather he be benched.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Lack of power is a bigger issue than ‘lack of pace’. He’s fast enough to go past people. He just has no strength at all which is why he can go past a man potentially but can’t stay gone.

Darlington Padgett

He needs to bulk up. And that should be United's aim this summer

His main weakness for me is that he simply lacks strength and defenders are dispossessing him with ease
His main weakness is he can only use his left foot. Defenders know this and force him to go to his right, where he's dispossessed or forced to pass back.

poleglass red

I guess the Nani comparisons are due to the frustrating nature of both their play, but I don't see comparisons in their actual style of play. Both are capable of scoring worldies I guess, but Antony would be a lot braver phsyically than Nani, most players would be, but Nani would be more braver in possession in that he'd try and take a player on, Antony doesn't even bother. In a possession based team, you can maybe see how Antony works, as he just recycles the ball, mostly backwards or sideways. In team with the likes of Bruno and Rashford who can lose possession a lot, maye ETH sees this a counter balance, I don't know. He's young, settling in I guess, is the only glimmer at this stage. He's certainly not the player I was expecting.

Lee565

The alarm bells were there when ziyech put up far better numbers for ajax and even he flopped in the premier league, same with donny and likely the same with gakpo for Liverpool

RuudTom83

I think it should be a rule that we should never spend more than £70m on a player. Never ends well.

5 goals is a decent return so far but his overall performances have been frustrating. I still have faith that ETH can get the best out of him but at the moment I'd rather he be benched.
Yeah it puts sooo much pressure on the player its unrealistic and not a recipe for success. Plus Antony never set the price, he is just 23 years old living in a new country trying to develop as a player.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
It's interesting that some are comparing Antony to Lindgard and Nani ( who was never world class btw...)

People see football differently. Nani was incredibly inconsistent, and again, talented with a few flash moments, but overrated.

I sometimes wonder what type of player some fans think fit a United profile. Lindgard, Nani, Antony... none of these do for me.

Garnacho is a young Manchester United player. Completely different mindset to all those players mentioned.
9 goals and 14 assists (top assister in the league) in 31 starts in 2010/2011 and he wasn't world class?

Feck me I'd love a not world class player like him right now!

El Jefe

His expected assists. Remember, he is a RW:

Just to add Nani had 14 assists for us in his first season here. The Nani comparisons are actually nonsensical.

Antony only got 4 assists in the Eredivisie last season too, he's painfully lacking in chance creation. Its looking more and more like him getting 4 assists in 2 games in the CL last season was an anomaly.

Just to add to the stats you've displayed, his dribbling success % and key passes per 90 are also terrible. In summary we have a winger that creates feck all and we wonder why we struggle to score goals.

how_giroud

Supports
Arsenal
It's interesting that some are comparing Antony to Lindgard and Nani ( who was never world class btw...)
Whether or not he was ever world class (I tend to think he got awfully close for a couple of years there) the major difference from an outsider's perspective now is that I *never* looked forward to playing against Nani, especially after some of his goals against us. When I saw him on the team sheet, I knew he was a threat.

Antony is the complete opposite. I don't recall an opposition player I wanted to play against so badly, because he is so easy to neutralize and so apparently ineffective. That may change and he may come good, but when your opponents say "oh thank god he's starting today", you're in a bad place. Very odd player.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Just to add Nani had 14 assists for us in his first season here. The Nani comparisons are actually nonsensical.

Antony only got 4 assists in the Eredivisie last season too, he's painfully lacking in chance creation. Its looking more and more like him getting 4 assists in 2 games in the CL last season was an anomaly.

Just to add to the stats you've displayed, his dribbling success % and key passes per 90 are also terrible. In summary we have a winger that creates feck all and we wonder why we struggle to score goals.
Yeah the Nani comparison's make 0 sense. Besides two players that are frustrating a flashy, Nani had way different qualities than Antony and was a far better player.

The question for me at this point is when does ETH identify his error. We can talk about "development" but quite frankly I don't know how much development you can do on a 23 year old to go from being completely unable to use his right foot, to using it in premier league matches effectively (which is his biggest problem).

evil_geko

People will never learn not to judge player so early, never. I get criticism of current performances, but talking how he is "Dan James", how he will never make it etc this early, is laughable.

Josh 76

People will never learn not to judge player so early, never. I get criticism of current performances, but talking how he is "Dan James", how he will never make it etc this early, is laughable.
Shocking that people are comparing him to Dan James. James was much quicker.

BlueHaze

Nani people are saying, as if Nani was bad!!?

He was brilliant. Vanished in some games yes, but still a very good player. If Antony can reach that level I'd be delighted.

What next!! Are people gonna say Scott MocTominay is like Park Ji-Sung!?

Skills

Snitch

Or just stop the whole "back the manager" bollocks and actually just buy good players instead, and instead make them work with them.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Yep, that's internet forums though. Over analysis.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Or just stop the whole "back the manager" bollocks and actually just buy good players instead, and instead make them work with them.
Antony is a good player and profile wise was the perfect fit for what we needed. We needed a left footed right winger, and he is one who is a hard worker, and has loads of talent.

He is however having adapting problems (not uncommon), probably problems dealing with the pressure of the big fee, confidence issues, etc. The fee was also dumb. But going after Antony specifically wasn't a problem and it's still the right idea, we just have to learn when to say no and move on (like Arsenal did with Mudryk). We need backup options... But TBF, left footed right wingers are very sparse. I like Antony more than Raphinha, and outside of them, the only other option was Pedro Neto who plays more at LW and is always injured and older than Antony.

We wouldn't have gone for a left footed RW if the one we had wasn't a scumbag.

Stig

His ball skills and 'tricks' are next level.

He comes back and does a lot of defending, which our wingers weren't doing last season.

His lack of right foot is absolutely unforgivable.

If he could beat a defender and cross with his right, he would be excellent.

With his current skill set he is probably great at 5 a side and beach football.

Even a lot of his passes are some odd sort of poke with the outside of his left foot.

Logic say he should be able to go on the left wing and be good. That doesn't seem to be an option.

Therefore he is not a premier league level player.

redcucumber

What an odd thing to say. So we don't back ten Hag's ability to judge a player's ability and potential? He signed him for Ajax, worked with him on a daily basis and saw enough that he was convinced that he needed him at United. 'just buy good players instead' is meaningless. Who are you trusting to make these judgements over ten Hag? Murtough? A scout? He's played about 20 games for us. Let's give him a chance ffs.

dinostar77

He needs a very good attacking rightback behind him to get the best out of him.

ETH likes inverted wingers who provide in swinging cross and wants the fullback to provide the outswingers.

Big flaw in your game if you require a good fullback to get the best out if you.

Stig

He needs a very good attacking rightback behind him to get the best out of him.

ETH likes inverted wingers who provide in swinging cross and wants the fullback to provide the outswingers.

Big flaw in your game if you require a good fullback to get the best out if you.
I don't like inverted wingers; they do my head in.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
At least Dan James had fecking pace and could use that to beat his man. What does this cnut do? Spin on the spot in acres of space? Only we could spunk near enough €180m euros on two wingers/wide forwards in Antony and Sancho, who can’t do the basics properly. Beat a man ffs, put in a decent cross ffs. We’re not asking for much, when for the fees they came with, we should be demanding world class performances week in week out.

DSG

I guess the Nani comparisons are due to the frustrating nature of both their play, but I don't see comparisons in their actual style of play. Both are capable of scoring worldies I guess, but Antony would be a lot braver phsyically than Nani, most players would be, but Nani would be more braver in possession in that he'd try and take a player on, Antony doesn't even bother. In a possession based team, you can maybe see how Antony works, as he just recycles the ball, mostly backwards or sideways. In team with the likes of Bruno and Rashford who can lose possession a lot, maye ETH sees this a counter balance, I don't know. He's young, settling in I guess, is the only glimmer at this stage. He's certainly not the player I was expecting.
There was an 18 month stretch when Nani was the best winger in the league and he was generally unplayable.

Antony has a huge problem. He doesn’t have a right foot. There is only one direction for him to go and all the LBs know this. Would rather start Garnacho at this point tbh

RaulitoElCrack

Dan James offered more than this guy! He was a pace merchant and lightweight but had his uses. Anthony can be replaced by the Palace winger yesterday and he would of been far more effective. Simply do not see the potential to be an elite player with this guy.

The only silver lining is Ten Hag has managed to improve some players everyone regarded as pure dross. Anthony will never be world class but can play a big part if he learns to cross at the least.

HookedOnAPhelan

I don't see how shite like this is needed.
Same.

Antony is a better player than what he's shown for us so far, but he seems to be playing within himself at the moment for whatever reason (being a 22 year old in his first season in the Premier League coming from the Eresdivisie might have something to do with it). He hasn't been awful at all, even if he's been a bit underwhelming. He's excellent under pressure, a good passer, and does his job defensively. And he's a fighter. His price tag isn't his fault, and he'll at the very least be a very useful player for us in the coming years.

justboy68

Nani was my favourite player for a good couple of seasons. Talent level off the charts. Damn those were good times. 09-12 felt like a bit of a step down after our CL winning team, but we didn't realise how good we still had it :(.

On the topic of Antony the Nani comparison makes no sense. He has more in common with Valencia in a way, in that he is one footed, can be a bit predictable in his play, but puts a good defensive shift in. Except he doesn't seem to have the additional attributes Valencia excelled at either ... :nervous:

poleglass red

There was an 18 month stretch when Nani was the best winger in the league and he was generally unplayable.

Antony has a huge problem. He doesn’t have a right foot. There is only one direction for him to go and all the LBs know this. Would rather start Garnacho at this point tbh
For me he was good in the 2010 and 2011 seasons, effective but certainly not unplayable. He'd 7 seasons with us, 2 were good, his form 2012 onwards was awful. He scored some incredible goals and maybe that clouds people's judgement but as player I wasn't a fan. His antics at times were embarrassing, a trait Antony unfortuntely shares as well. I still cringe at his behaviour when Carragher tackled him that time. Antony has a lot of work to do, but if you look at Nani's best season in the pl, he had 9 goals in 33 games, Antony who has been poor has 3 goals in 10 pl games. he'd be on course to match that.

Suv666

Its not just about dribbling he barely creates any chances. I have seen him put like 3 good crosses all season. His passing his shite as well, fecks up counters regularly by misplacing or choosing the wrong option.

I hope to god he improves but its a mountain to climb. Comes short in way too many parameters.

Cathy Ferguson

At least Dan James had fecking pace and could use that to beat his man. What does this cnut do? Spin on the spot in acres of space? Only we could spunk near enough €180m euros on two wingers/wide forwards in Antony and Sancho, who can’t do the basics properly. Beat a man ffs, put in a decent cross ffs. We’re not asking for much, when for the fees they came with, we should be demanding world class performances week in week out.
Exactly. Working hard and good in possession are basic requirements. More important traits of a winger at United should be:

1. Beat his man.
2. Score goals.
3. Provide assists.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
We got fleeced property with this guy. He might improve and become a decent player but if we’re to have aspirations of getting back to the top we need better than decent. Can’t see him having the skill set to reach the level required and being so ridiculously one-footed at this level is criminal.

fallengt

Ajax when we bought Antony.
Nah, they were almost as deluded as us, they thought 60-80m was fair price. Remember the transfer only happened because VDS stepped in
So far the player isn't worth half that.

Marwood

Comparing him with Nani, favourably or not, is a bit misleading. Nani in his first few seasons was useless. Then he had that moment against Arsenal and he was a different player from then on.

Hopefully Antony goes the same way.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Comparing him with Nani, favourably or not, is a bit misleading. Nani in his first few seasons was useless. Then he had that moment against Arsenal and he was a different player from then on.

But Nani hit 14 assists and 4 goals in his first season. 18 goal contributions from Antony would be great, but it seems highly unlikely now.

He was also younger than Antony back then and played in stronger side which won the Champions League.

I'm not the guy who usually advocates looking at numbers as the main way od judging players, but in this instance, it is quite telling.

El Jefe

This isn't entirely true. Nani had a very good first season for young player from the Portuguese league. It was the next 1.5 seasons where he was truly terrible and turned it around in Jan/Feb 2010 against Arsenal. His screamer against Middlesbrough alone showed how much potential he had, not to mention the 4-0 against Arsenal where he did the seal dribble. Even Nani's pointless skill was far better than Antony's :lol:

Nani showed potential in that first season that gave some hope he could come good. Antony has shown very little. The biggest blessing for Antony is he's a RW and because there aren't many of them he's tricked his way to a top club. Had he been a LW he'd be at a midtable club.

The likes of Gnonto, Mitoma and Olise all look like much better players and he cost more than all of them combined.

Marwood

But Nani hit 14 assists and 4 goals in his first season. 18 goal contributions from Antony would be great, but it seems highly unlikely now.

He was also younger than Antony back then and played in stronger side which won the Champions League.

I'm not the guy who usually advocates looking at numbers as the main way od judging players, but in this instance, it is quite telling.
What were the stats in his second season?

Status
Not open for further replies.