5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

berbasloth4

A lot of people and pundits are expecting him to be a lot better next season because used to pace and toughness etc. but I also remember similar pundits who would worry about players with second season syndrome because teams will have learnt. Antony needs to majorly stop being so predictable because defenders have learnt what he does already.

Teams don't give space to Antony at all, all the chances he gets are because of his off the ball runs which is helped by quick passes from either Bruno or one of the CMs. He barely gets space on RW when he build up the game slowly like how AWB or Valencia used to get (when he was on decline).
Yeah, he is always closed down quickly especially when we have Sancho or Rashford on the other side. Sancho is no threat and Rashford you need to leave a bit of space so he can't run behind you.

I do think defenders fear Antony a bit. For example Burns in the Newcastle game.

Lentwood

I wasn't just referring to stats I meant even just a vaguely sensible description of what he has been good at. You referenced him getting into good goalscoring positions and having a great strike. The fact that was all you can come up with doesn't seem to indicate he is having a particularly good season. Especially as the idea he has a great strike on him isn't really true, he takes huge numbers of shots and the majority are terrible. Occasionally one will go in but it's a poor return for the amount of shots he takes, I would suggest your average pl centre back could score as regularly if given the same chances.

On assists he has two so far I think so would suggest that isn't enough
Anthony is a different kind of wide-player to the old-school wingers we have become used to at United.

Of course his numbers for goals/assists could improve but the reason I dismiss 'assists' as a metric (or don't put much weight behind it) is because an 'assist' is just the last player to touch the ball before a teammate scores a goal, it doesn't tell the story of how many goals players help create with other actions.

Extreme example but a player could run 60 yards, beat eight players, roll it sideways to a player who miscues a shot into the path of the goalscorer and it's THAT player then who gets the assist.

When I watch Anthony I see loads of good qualities. He is skilful, the opposition usually double-up or at least commit a player to mark him tightly, he works hard, he is tenacious, he can play in tight areas. Plus, for all the criticisms of his output, the goals he has scored have tended to be important goals. Let's say he had padded out his eight goals with a few tap-ins in games we had won easily...suddenly he's into double-figures and people aren't so quick to write him off based on one metric.

He's still young and learning but I have seen a big improvement in the last 3-months and I personally think the goals and assists will come in time, and with a functioning CF

Eugenius

Anthony is a different kind of wide-player to the old-school wingers we have become used to at United.

Of course his numbers for goals/assists could improve but the reason I dismiss 'assists' as a metric (or don't put much weight behind it) is because an 'assist' is just the last player to touch the ball before a teammate scores a goal, it doesn't tell the story of how many goals players help create with other actions.

Extreme example but a player could run 60 yards, beat eight players, roll it sideways to a player who miscues a shot into the path of the goalscorer and it's THAT player then who gets the assist.

When I watch Anthony I see loads of good qualities. He is skilful, the opposition usually double-up or at least commit a player to mark him tightly, he works hard, he is tenacious, he can play in tight areas. Plus, for all the criticisms of his output, the goals he has scored have tended to be important goals. Let's say he had padded out his eight goals with a few tap-ins in games we had won easily...suddenly he's into double-figures and people aren't so quick to write him off based on one metric.

He's still young and learning but I have seen a big improvement in the last 3-months and I personally think the goals and assists will come in time, and with a functioning CF
He always seems to be doubled up on because he slows the play down and doesn't look to run at his defender from the get go.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He was carrying a bad injury quite clearly too. When he was running he didn't look right to me all season.

Antony hasn't been much better than what Rashford was last season. Very similar output. Our fans just go overboard with new signings.
Rashford was so bad last season that he was rightfully dropped for Elanga. Admittedly Elanga was playing a bit better than he has this season, but still. Rashford was basically a negative on the entire team, probably worse than what Wout has been (at least Wout has bought workrate).

Antony has clearly been a couple of levels above Rashford last season. He's struggled to get the goals and assists, but his impact on the team as a whole has been positive. Just not as positive as we'd have liked and certainly not as much as what his transfer fee would warrant. He's still played his part in maintaining possession and the shape of the team, getting us into good positions and forcing the opposition back with his dribbling, and also does a decent job defensively. Other than Greenwood for 12-18 months, Antony has been our best right winger in many years. Of course that says more about the others we've played there since he's hardly been great himself, but he has been better than a lot of people make out.

Matt851

You act like he has just been unlucky scoring wise when there is nothing from his time at ajax to suggest he would be able to contribute significantly in terms of goals or assists jn the Premier league. Ultimately that's what a wide forward in a top team needs to do

As for him being skilful, how many times have you actually seen him use skill to beat a man rather than just doing something random while no one is close to him

Lentwood

You act like he has just been unlucky scoring wise when there is nothing from his time at ajax to suggest he would be able to contribute significantly in terms of goals or assists jn the Premier league. Ultimately that's what a wide forward in a top team needs to do

As for him being skilful, how many times have you actually seen him use skill to beat a man rather than just doing something random while no one is close to him
He was only 22 when he left Ajax! Hardly likely to be the finished article

At the end of the day, time will tell, but I think he's been given WAY too much of a hard time by our fanbase - who for some bizarre reason seem to want/expect him to fail.

I thought he hit a rough patch after the World Cup but since about March I have been really happy with how he has progressed. Yeah, he needs to add a few more goals, but I can easily see how a bit more composure and confidence will sort that

FerociousCorgis

At the end of the day, time will tell, but I think he's been given WAY too much of a hard time by our fanbase - who for some bizarre reason seem to want/expect him to fail.

I thought he hit a rough patch after the World Cup but since about March I have been really happy with how he has progressed. Yeah, he needs to add a few more goals, but I can easily see how a bit more composure and confidence will sort that
his finishing and decision making have been the bad part during this season. One thing i noticed last game though that was huge for him was him actually shooting near post. You could actually see the GK was already cheating towards the usual spot he shoots for and with a little more composure he wouldve easily scored. If we add a couple pieces in the starting lineup and really improve our ball retention/passing think he will come good. I do like his overall game and love finally having a wide presence out there. We need to watch some of our old games the last couple of years where literally that RW was a barren wasteland. I swear that there was literally nobody there and teams wouldnt even have the slightest thought of defending wide. Now it stretches teams out much more to have to defend the full width

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

His numbers at Ajax were actually quite good last season when you look at them per 90 minutes.

People are really bad at looking at statistics.

Some posters will clearly never warm to him, it's a good thing to just ignore them.

zaafi

Awful take.

His expected assists per 90 from his time in Ajax were in the top percentile for wingers.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If we forget about his price tag, I think he has done alright and up to expectation this season.

21/22 (Ajax)
Games - 33 (2535 mins)
Goals - 12
Assists - 10
Dribble - 1.8
Key pass - 1.6
Avg rating - 7.47
Avg output - 0.78 g+a per 90 mins

22/23 (Man Utd)
Games - 37 (3001 mins)
Goals - 8
Assists - 3
Dribble - 1.3
Key pass - 1.2
Avg rating - 6.87
Avg output - 0.33 g+a per 90 mins

I mean he has made a big progression from a farmers league to the toughest league in the world, what do people expect? Let’s just forget his price tags, it’s not his fault that we overpaid for a player Ajax not planning to sell, as he was originally valued at 40m anyway. I think he looks fine, I am sure no one would be complaining much if we have actually bought him for 40m, given it’s just his first season in PL.

Last edited:

Bestietom

Agreed. The problem I have with Antony isn't his effort, he clearly tries. The problem is that when the majority of attacks during the game comes down his channel, he needs, no he HAS to deliver more end product. There were numerous counter attacks yesterday where we had more players than Wolves and yet every single one was fecked up by his poor decision making. Immediately after we scored he showed some swagger with a needless trick. Don't fecking showboat after we score in a must win game. This isn't an 18/19 year old youngster, Antony should have the experience by now to be able to know and handle big game situations.

It's a big concern for me that his decision making hasn't improved this season. What did show me signs of encouragement was the run he made where he out muscled a player and ran down the right. That was something he wasn't doing earlier in the season, he would slow the ball down rather than gas it and didn't have the confidence to beat the player. But please, please, PLEASE stop being selfish and lift your head up and find your team mates in the final third. We need more moments like the Martial assist and less moments of him trying to do it all by himself because he doesn't have the ability to do it.
I agree 100%. He needs to buckle down and concentrate on beating his man and get crosses in.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Even if the unnamed and Amad come back next season - Antony still provides that Antonyo Valencia type work rate that they don’t so I think he may still be useful.

On the other side I can’t see how Sancho may be used in front of Garanacho or Rashford.

Lentwood

His numbers at Ajax were actually quite good last season when you look at them per 90 minutes.

People are really bad at looking at statistics.

Some posters will clearly never warm to him, it's a good thing to just ignore them.
We have some weird fans who have been scarred by the last few seasons and/or are desperate to be proved 'right'. Whenever we spend big on a player, they're all over the forum rambling on about how we have overspent and listing random nobodies we could have signed instead.

I think Anthony has had a very promising first season. Personally, he'd be in my starting XI every single week.

Matt851

Yeah, he is always closed down quickly especially when we have Sancho or Rashford on the other side. Sancho is no threat and Rashford you need to leave a bit of space so he can't run behind you.

I do think defenders fear Antony a bit. For example Burns in the Newcastle game.
Sancho does at least as much with the ball as Antony, and rashford has been carrying the team from an attacking perspective

When we played Newcastle, Antony got past burns once and burns managed to catch him despite being rather slow. Shows how slow Antony can be dribbling with the ball at times

Frank White

We have some weird fans who have been scarred by the last few seasons and/or are desperate to be proved 'right'. Whenever we spend big on a player, they're all over the forum rambling on about how we have overspent and listing random nobodies we could have signed instead.

I think Anthony has had a very promising first season. Personally, he'd be in my starting XI every single week.
Think he'd be in everyone's by default because are other options aren't pretty. Personally think he's had a very average season. Shown that he has enough about him for us to persist with him unlike Sancho but still want more from him on the goal contribution front.

redNATION

Painful watching him and Sancho, when they get it I don’t expect anything to happen.

And showed how slow he is when he was through and still couldn’t get a shot away.

Ludens the Red

Basically anytime he puts these once a month decent 6/10 performance he follows it up with a 0/10. Just a shocking player. I’ve never seen a forward refuse to attack space as much as him.

Sgreddevil

His work rate and running into the final third have been impressive but his final decision has been appalling.
As a professional player that plays attacking role, I don't understand why some of them just refuse to use their weaker foot to shoot. Don't they understand it is better to try taking a chance with weaker foot than risking missing a chance to shoot at all. He could have gotten a goal today if he tried that when cleared through

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Yeah very poor. I said at the start of this season with Antony and Sancho that we have two wide forwards with world class potential. I stand by that but they need to be so much braver and aggressive in possession. Sancho was even worse. I hate watching players play in second gear. It sets you up perfectly to get suckered for the draw in games like this.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Attacks come to die when he has the ball. Really isn't good enough and needs to work on his weaker foot as defenders have worked him out.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
At the risk of making a premature judgment here... I like his attitude and desire, but he really doesn't have "it", and I honestly don't think he ever will.

Idxomer

His work rate and running into the final third have been impressive but his final decision has been appalling.
As a professional player that plays attacking role, I don't understand why some of them just refuse to use their weaker foot to shoot. Don't they understand it is better to try taking a chance with weaker foot than risking missing a chance to shoot at all. He could have gotten a goal today if he tried that when cleared through
Did you see what happened when he used his right foot? He's very one-footed, the bigger problem though is that his left foot is nothing special.

Sgreddevil

Did you see what happened when he used his right foot? He's very one-footed, the bigger problem though is that his left foot is nothing special.
Then he is not at the standard required of a manchester united player. You either need to have 2 relatively good functional legs or a world class master leg (eg. RVP)

Valencia Shin Crosses

Mid table winger doing mid table winger things.

Anyone who thinks he "just needs time to settle in" needs their head checked. His problem isn't with the speed of the game in the league, it's his actual level of ability. That counter where he was through on goal, didn't have the pace to pull away from the defender, and still had to chop inside and pass backwards because he also doesn't have a right foot showed everything wrong with him.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
That counter when he had space to go one on one with gk was awful to see. He played it safe which is shit to see from 100 mil worth winger.

Tiber

His complete lack of end product is so hurtful to the entire team

Idxomer

Mid table winger doing mid table winger things.

Anyone who thinks he "just needs time to settle in" needs their head checked. His problem isn't with the speed of the game in the league, it's his actual level of ability. That counter where he was through on goal, didn't have the pace to pull away from the defender, and still had to chop inside and pass backwards because he also doesn't have a right foot showed everything wrong with him.
He couldn't get away because he took the ball with his left foot.

acnumber9

Any decent winger gets a shot off at least from that break. I’m beginning to not mind him shooting because the alternative is his shite passing.

BorisManUtd

He's frustrating but has potential and in his first season in PL so another season for Antony definitely. There are parts of his game though you're afraid he won't improve.

Roux

Terrible today, but at least he worked hard - more than i can say for Sancho

Valencia Shin Crosses

He couldn't get away because he took the ball with his left foot.
Sure, but prime Di Maria is also taking it with his left and blistering the CB for pace before shooting. Which is my point: He's not special physically/pace wise and also dreadfully one-footed, so what the feck do we expect him to improve on? Finishing? Sure maybe. But he won't suddenly become a creative wizard and he's not going to magically gain a yard of pace either.

Mid table

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Antony and the transition are like oil and water. Given the way we play that's a pretty unfortunate reality. He will never be the guy who gets onto the through ball and gets away from the defender. He has uses and, if we evolve into a team that truly dominates the ball, he might display his true value. However, I am happy to say I think we've had our pants pulled down on this by Ajax.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Was gash today. Much better than this typically and I think he's steadily improved over the course of the season. End product will improve with time IMO.

NickJ

Dreadful, it’s incredible how he is able to make the wrong decision so many times when we break forward. A winger that doesn’t go at his man when left one on one in the box is not meant to be at Man Utd

Status
Not open for further replies.