Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Obviously Antony hasn't been worth what we paid for him, but ultimately he's still the best right winger we've had for years bar Greenwood for about 12-18 months. You could say that that doesn't mean much considering how bad our right wing has been, but I do think people exaggerate how bad he's been.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He really needs to start providing some goals or assists. He's not a threatening attacking player and that's not good enough

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

He surely has improved and gives his best. For the time being he deserves to start but tbh I think we need to improve our right wing after we have solved other more pressing issues.

poleglass red

1st half in particular, Spurs had a few moments down out right flank with Richarlison looking dangerous. I felt Antony could have at times dropped back and helped out. We saw Sancho do it a few times on the left in the 1st half. It almost seemed like he was instructed not to track back, maybe the plan was AWB could handle it and then release Antony for a quick breakaway, but that wasn't really happening. The first 10 mins he give the ball away 3 times in about 4 passes, these weren't his normal cut back and pass back passes, these were more progressive type passes that didn't come off. I guess we criticise him at times for playing safe passes most of the time, maybe this is another part of his game they are working on, it didn't come off but trying to evolve his game is at least a good sign.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Obviously Antony hasn't been worth what we paid for him, but ultimately he's still the best right winger we've had for years bar Greenwood for about 12-18 months. You could say that that doesn't mean much considering how bad our right wing has been, but I do think people exaggerate how bad he's been.
I think people (me included) just get really worried when he was bought to be our mainstay RW for years and it's evident how painfully limited he is.

And it's not even in a "he's just raw" sense like it is with Garnacho. Antony lacks the physical traits to be a pure direct "shoot first" winger but is also a terrible creator as a more finesse type. So you're left with this guy that we paid bags for who's lacking traits aren't exactly those that just can be worked on through training.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He surely has improved and gives his best. For the time being he deserves to start but tbh I think we need to improve our right wing after we have solved other more pressing issues.
Once we've solved the more pressing issues (CF, GK, CM, depth, RB), then Amad will hopefully be ready to adapt to being more regular at the top level.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Has been better recently, but.I am starting to hate his cut in and shoot thing which 9/10 times is entirely ineffective and goes either a) wide b) dribbles into keepers arms. He then does this look like his superhero ability has been miscalibrated by 0.5 of a point and he can't quite believe why it hasn't flown like an arrow into the top corner as per usual. Gets pretty irritating after a while. If you shoot and don't force the keeper to at least save then don't bother as it's just a waste of everyones fecking time. Move the ball on instead.

lsd

The Oracle
Well today killed the myth that we look better when he plays.

We looked great without him then not so good when he came on

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Well today killed the myth that we look better when he plays.

We looked great without him then not so good when he came on
Yes a 20 min cameo on the opposite side to normal kills that myth.

criticalanalysis

Martial gave him a horrible pass, if it was passed infront of Antony to run onto, he'd have had a free shot on goal.
Need to see it again but I thought it was a decent pass. Antony could have taken it in his stride and stuck it hard and low across the goal with his strong foot. Instead he cut inside and had that tame right footed shot.

wangyu

As a skillful winger I don’t think it really matters if you play on the left or the right. Ten Hag thinks the same as he has played rashford, sancho, garnacho and antony on both sides. You can either go outside or cut inside depending of your main foot.
The problem with wingers is that they often are completely one legged (sorry I don’t know the English word). I think if you’re going to pay close to 100 million for a player he should be at least perfectly fine with using both legs.

However his mediocre cameo, I don’t think he isn’t capable of doing better on the left. He would be less reluctant to go outside and put in a cross if we had good presence in the box but we don’t.

Rashford is perfect against a high line or on the counter because he makes good runs and he is speedy but he isn’t necessarily a goor presence in the box, that is why we need a real nr 9.

criticalanalysis

Played too short by Martial, so Antony had to take an extra touch.

https://lvturbo.com/kq35a4rkmwyu.html

1:50:10 in this video. If you need a video from GifLord, it's min 92:10 onwards

It was a perfectly fine pass by Martial considering the situation; any more forward and it would have been intercepted as the angle would be too tight. You could argue maybe Martial could have done 'more' but it was a poor touch and/or approach by Antony. He should have either got it out of his foot straight away for a quick shot as I had said before or taken a first time shot across goal. It wouldn't have been an easy chance but you'd expect better. It was decent pressure and defending by Villa as well.

Last edited:

pascell

Man Utd v Aston Villa - SkySportNZ - 1080p

1:50:10 in this video. If you need a video from GifLord, it's min 92:10 onwards

It was a perfectly fine pass by Martial considering the situation; any more forward and it would have been intercepted as the angle would be too tight. You could argue maybe Martial could have done 'more' but it was a poor touch and/or approach by Antony. He should have either got it out of his foot straight away for a quick shot as I had said before or taken a first time shot across goal. It wouldn't have been an easy chance but you'd expect better. It was decent pressure and defending by Villa as well.
I don't need a video, I saw it with my own eyes whilst sat in the stadium.

criticalanalysis

I don't need a video, I saw it with my own eyes whilst sat in the stadium.
The link I had posted seems to be a download. This one is playable: https://lvturbo.com/kq35a4rkmwyu.html

@GifLord 92:10min - Martial to Antony pass? Thanks.

Perhaps it looked different in the stadium but going by the footage we'll have to agree to disagree. Was far from a horrible pass and Antony made a mess of it.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
So Bruno on the right is our long term solution?
I've been advocating using Bruno on the right and going for 433 for a long long time. He is more of a threat and levels above in terms of creativity compared to Antony.

The point is, we look better if either of them plays RW because they are effective at what they do (opposed to Sancho / Rashford on RW).

Antony strongest attributes are more of a midfielder than winger therefore I am not exactly sure what we lose going for 433 with Bruno on the right?

Actually this formation can work excellent with Garnacho too as he holds the width very well (see how Sancho was playing wider than usual).

If Antony played today on RW this goal most likely doesn't happen.

As a skillful winger I don’t think it really matters if you play on the left or the right. Ten Hag thinks the same as he has played rashford, sancho, garnacho and antony on both sides. You can either go outside or cut inside depending of your main foot.

The problem with wingers is that they often are completely one legged
(sorry I don’t know the English word). I think if you’re going to pay close to 100 million for a player he should be at least perfectly fine with using both legs.

However his mediocre cameo, I don’t think he isn’t capable of doing better on the left. He would be less reluctant to go outside and put in a cross if we had good presence in the box but we don’t.

Rashford is perfect against a high line or on the counter because he makes good runs and he is speedy but he isn’t necessarily a goor presence in the box, that is why we need a real nr 9.
The problem for Antony playing on the left is he is not a good passer/ crosser of the ball. So he can be a decent ball carrier still it's also difficult for him to cut inside.
Only makes sense to deploy him on the left as LB support.

Oscar Bonavena

I'm convinced there's a good player in there somewhere, but his decision making has been really, really poor. Lost count of the amount of times he's taken a shot on himself with players free in a better position, then holding an apologetic hand up to them.

That's no good to us, mate! We don't want your apologies, just play the right f**king pass!

I can't believe ETH who had him at Ajax hasn't cut that out of his game at this stage!

johnnyteutonic

So I was looking at the thefightingcock for amusement earlier and was looking at their assessment of Kulusevski and this is what someone said about him:

He's good at football don't get me wrong he has a wand of a left foot

But that's it

He's not fast can't pass it long and he's so so one footed that everyone knows he will cut in

After a great start when he was new to the league he's been figured out imo
Does that not sound uncannily like Antony? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.