5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jev

I think a yellow was fine but it's concerning that he so often doesn't look like a threat and now on multiple occasions has got completely distracted from his job by tough but essentially fair defending to the point that he's had to be taken off before he gets sent off. As you say he needs to control his temper and use it in a more positive manner, as well as just generally needing to improve significantly as a player because he's currently very unproductive and ineffectual for an attacker that cost that much.
The only reason he doesn't get a red is because he doesn't hit MacAllister cleanly, which, ironically, is because he used his non-functioning right leg.

For me it's a clear red, at least he should have had an extra yellow for his aggressive behaviour towards the linesman and Dunk.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'd like to ask people who said that "he has improved lately" if they still believe this is the case.

Worrying that it's another game where he's closer to a red than contributing to a goal.

TempusFugit

Dreadful finisher. A proper RW tucks that first chance in and we control the game from then. His finishing is actually awful, don't let a few left footed curlers trick you. He's simply useless at putting the ball in the back of the net.

MoskvaRed

Out of his depth at PL level. Doesn’t score, doesn’t assist, doesn’t stretch play by dragging the fullback out wide.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Hipefully Amad gets the chance in the team and push Anthony, or push him out of the team. Sancho needs to be sold or just kept as a cover but would be. a mistake to give Anthony a guaranteed starting spot.. I am sure everything will change when we field 11 players again with a new striker, not dross like Martial up front, pressing with him is just amateur level and attackign as well.

pascell

Lucky to still be on the pitch when being subbed off, I'd have sent him for what he did. He needs to learn he cannot kick out like that, he has done it far too often this season and it's a weak point in our team for teams to pick at. If he's riled up then the full back has already won the battle.

El Jefe

Amad is better than this guy, there's no doubt in my mind.

I just worry we'll feck that situation due to EtH playing favourites.

Irwin99

So frustrating. Could have easily had a red card and should have scored that early chance.

PSV

Its not like he didn't behave this way at Ajax, been waiting for his red card(a) all season.

I miss the time we had actual wingers at our club, its been a while.

Malone_Post

I can’t think of a single redeemable quality he has either as a player or a personality. He doesn’t score, he doesn’t assist, he’s not exciting to watch, he’s arrogant, he’s selfish, he’s petulant, he’s constantly getting into scraps & fights with the opposition.

There’s a Dutch poster on here (Feynoord fan I believe?) who absolutely detests him, and said as much before we signed him. I assumed it was purely because of the rivalry with Ajax, but no he was just bang on the money.

Jev

Yeah, I'm convinced this will happen. ETH's favouritism with players who aren't good enough is a serious issue going forward. Dreading his transfers this summer.

slored1

Hope he improves next season but early returns have been disappointing. Obviously not a 100 million player but does nothing of note that is above average for this level.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Lets just say it, he's a bit crap. I thought I was being harsh when I saw posters on here saying he was playing for a while and had the talent. I don't see it at all, no pace, vision, drive and one footed. He has no chance here. How ETH didn't spot this is beyond me.

NZT-One

As you say he needs to control his temper and use it in a more positive manner, as well as just generally needing to improve significantly as a player because he's currently very unproductive and ineffectual for an attacker that cost that much.
Agreed. But I don't feel overly optimistic... He came with the big fee, big expectations and such a start... I mean we all know he never was a 85million player but many hoped he could develop into one. It is his first season, don't want to be too harsh here but I really really hoped that he at least in one or two games he would look incredible good. Hasn't happened yet and fans are beginning to lose patience. Man I really really hope we learn our lesson and stop with the insane fees... It doesn't do us any good and our record is as bad as it gets...

RORY65

Antony has been a real disappointment thus far but Amad has started 6 games of top flight football (4 of them in Scotland). He deserves a chance to come back and fight for that spot (which should be up for grabs) but there's no way you can be certain he's better currently.

Superunknown

I still can't make my mind up about him. He's one of the ones who looks likelier to score, but still...4 league goals all season.

Telsim

Ten Hag's favoritism is clear now. You can't convince me for a single second he deserves to start ahead of Pellistri all the time.

Idxomer

Hipefully Amad gets the chance in the team and push Anthony, or push him out of the team. Sancho needs to be sold or just kept as a cover but would be. a mistake to give Anthony a guaranteed starting spot.. I am sure everything will change when we field 11 players again with a new striker, not dross like Martial up front, pressing with him is just amateur level and attackign as well.
Amad is probably not fully ready but he would've delivered at least a similar type of performances if Ten Hag put the same faith in him he did in Antony.

AndySmith1990

Lets just say it, he's a bit crap. I thought I was being harsh when I saw posters on here saying he was playing for a while and had the talent. I don't see it at all, no pace, vision, drive and one footed. He has no chance here. How ETH didn't spot this is beyond me.
Must agree. I defended his signing and expected we'd be finally getting an exciting tricky right winger. I've held off on commenting much on him. But frankly we've once again had our pants pulled down. £100m ffs. We'd not get half that back for him. As a footballer he's painfully mediocre and rather boring and predictable. Also if he played for any other club we'd be calling him an unlikeable cnut, which tbh he is

Matt851

He is just mediocre. The majority of other clubs in the league have wide players putting in better performances

Abraxas

You look at Mitoma on their side (I know he's a left winger) and that's what I wish Antony was. Dynamic, driving at people, beating them. Just exciting to watch even if you never know what's going to happen and he keeps fecking it up, at least when he plays against us. With Antony what you get is a player rolling his foot over the ball a million times, turning back and passing inside most of the time. He will need to step it up massively next season.

Anustart89

You look at Mitoma on their side (I know he's a left winger) and that's what I wish Antony was. Dynamic, driving at people, beating them. Just exciting to watch even if you never know what's going to happen and he keeps fecking it up, at least when he plays against us. With Antony what you get is a player rolling his foot over the ball a million times, turning back and passing inside most of the time. He will need to step it up massively next season.
The same Mitoma who had tons of space on his right foot and shot pea rollers towards the far post all game long?

flappyjay

It's never great when your YouTube video is underwhelming. It's a cut of a players best moments over a season. I was glad when I thought the transfer had fallen through. Its not his fault we spent stupid money on him but still.

Matt851

With mitoma even if the end product is inconsistent you can see the potential for him to become top class. With Antony it's very hard to see that potential.

He can't beat a man, he isn't technical , he can't cross and he can't shoot with any consistency.

Abraxas

The same Mitoma who had tons of space on his right foot and shot pea rollers towards the far post all game long?
Yep, that one. He still looked a damn sight more threatening than Antony. I wouldn't mind Antony hitting pea rollers into the keeper if he was regularly showing some kind of dynamic play, attacking full backs, driving into the box. Apart from the early chance he did none of that. Too content to stand on the half way line, rolling his foot over the ball and passing the buck to somebody else.

The manager can work on efficiency in front of goal and taking the right option. With Antony he has to work on every area apart from passing inside.

flappyjay

He is a winger with underwhelming stats for an attacking player in the Netherlands playing for a dominant team. Nothing about his output should be a surprise to anyone including EtH.

Skills

Snitch
It's never great when your YouTube video is underwhelming. It's a cut of a players best moments over a season. I was glad when I thought the transfer had fallen through. Its not his fault we spent stupid money on him but still.
Genuinely :lol:

Lecland07

I just can't see the promise with him. The issue isn't that he needs to improve his abilities next season, it is that he needs to become a whole different player. He is just that far away from the player we need.

I will give him time (we are not going to sell him now, anyway), but I have some major doubts about him.

CM

Tonight was a poor game from Antony. He was making the wrong decisions and lacked conviction in his shooting. His little incident with MacAllister was so stupid too - he needs to find a way to channel that anger and use it in a practical way.

I do think these are things that can be remedied if they are worked on, though. He's a marmite figure but even on nights like tonight where he doesn't play well, he's still usually involved. I think it's just a matter of when it clicks for him. There are other players in this team who don't even have the fundamentals, Antony clearly does.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Must agree. I defended his signing and expected we'd be finally getting an exciting tricky right winger. I've held off on commenting much on him. But frankly we've once again had our pants pulled down. £100m ffs. We'd not get half that back for him. As a footballer he's painfully mediocre and rather boring and predictable. Also if he played for any other club we'd be calling him an unlikeable cnut, which tbh he is
That's the issue, we can't get rid. I worry ETH will double down and try to make it work. Just needs to admit he made a bad call with this and move. Squad player next year and then move him on. We won't though, he will go into the season has a starter with the false hope that he will somehow learn to use both feet and magic up pace.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Mitoma cost under £2m didn't he? Absolutely crazy. You could get 40 of him for what we paid for Antony.

The recruitment at this club has been woeful ever since Fergie retired and Antony and Sancho have to be right up there with Maguire for the worst signings of the lot.

Gazza

I want to give him time. He might still come good. He's been okay for most of the season, nothing special, decent contributions overall. I don't see a player there who will ever be one of the best in the league. If we start with him and Sancho, our two most expensive attackers, we look toothless, one-paced, and blunt.

Ultimately, I wish we hadn't spent so much of our transfer budget on him.

The Irish Connection

Been thinking this on and off for most of the season: we still need a top right winger.

Amad has potential but is unproven in the Premier League and Antony is average.

AndySmith1990

Been thinking this on and off for most of the season: we still need a top right winger.

Amad has potential but is unproven in the Premier League and Antony is average.
Sign a £73m right winger...oh wait, he's actually a left winger...we still need a right winger
Sign a £100m right winger...10 months later we still need a right winger

Was Valencia our last genuinely decent right winger? We'll get it right one day

Status
Not open for further replies.